“Worst motel I ever stayed at...don not even think about it”
Review of Sunset Inn

Sunset Inn
Sunset Inn
Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
“Worst motel I ever stayed at...don not even think about it”
Reviewed April 25, 2012

Same as everyone else, dirty, worn out, lots of people milling around the halls with doors open, riff raff getting kicked out of the lobby, late night chaos, a fooded hallway, visits from the police but the kicker was the BED BUGS and absolutely zero care or concern shown by th front desk clerk about them. Where are the inspectors that allow this to happen. This place is a shame for Sioux Lookout

Room Tip: down the street at the new Best Western which is where we went after we checked out
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Annie C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Kenora, Canada
Reviewed February 16, 2012

I guess my first clue should have been when the front desk lady told me not to let my kids alone on the 1st floor! The room was absolutely disgusting, dirty, smelly, moldy room i have every seen in my life. I never saw any bugs and trust me, i looked! I am still itching just knowing i slept there. I wouldn't recomment this hole to my worst enemy.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank BEDBUGFEST
Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
Reviewed August 19, 2011

I had staied here with my family. Im not going to say any names but there was a guy at the front desk that was helpful and then during the night my son/daughter had woke up saying something has bitten them. As I checked the bed there was all kinds of bugs through out the bed sheets and all kinds of marks on my children. We went down to the front desk and found no one was their. I packed my family up and went to another hotel. As my family and I was leaveing we had seen the front desk person coming from a room. My family had loaded the car with out things as I was talking to the front desk person about this problem. The guy said that he didnt care and that I had brought them into the hotel on myself. During this time i could smell this so called worker smelling like booze and like he just had something to smoke. As I looked the BUGS up on the internet I had come across a site and found out that these bugs where not just little bugs but infact bed bugs. Would I tell anyone about this hotel, most likely not since i would never put anything through that even with kids with them.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank g_man354
Winnipeg
Reviewed March 22, 2011

Where to start?....the hundreds of drunken fools in the hotel or all the police arresting them and setting up several crime scenes?...Wow! The hotel staff all smelled like dope and were the rudest people I ever seen. No control over their property or even a half attemp of making sure the rooms were clean before we strayed, lotsof blood and vomit stains thru out the hotel and on the bed sheets....wow!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Flirty_Wpg
Thunder Bay, Canada
Reviewed January 23, 2011

I stayed in this so called hotel. i would like to start with the front desk ladie I had checked in with, she was very nice and helpful. Then there was this older man at the front desk during the night. Well he seemed to be alright until i seen some kids runing around and then heard him yelling at them and telling them to get back to their rooms. I thought i would go and check this out as i came to the frint desk i could smell something like a skunk almost like there was one right in the hotel with everyone sleeping. I then asked the front desk guy if there was a skunk outside and then I got the smell comeing from him I'm guessing he was just smoking up with someone or by him self, and also as he was talking he had another smile coming from him as if he had not brushed his teeth in like 10 years. Then not to motion that he was then yelling again at these kids to get back to their room or he will evicte them. I think it was only like -38C that night and i thought he wouldn't kick these kids out in the cold with no where to go. I guess he then went to the room and as i was coming in from a smoke i seen those kids and there parents with the bags with there escort (that guy from the front desk) escorting them out of the building. I'm sure they could of done something for those kids instead of kicking them to the street.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
7 Thank paris69_2011
Thunder Bay, Canada
Reviewed January 13, 2011

My colleagues and I recently stayed at the Sunset Inn & Suites in Sioux Lookout having to attend a business meeting in the area. The rooms were very comfortable and we did notice that there have been many changes made to them in the last few months. A plus for us was the new pillow top mattresses and the flat screen tv's they now have. I must also say that their free breakfast has many items that satifsied all of us and helped our budget as well. The staff were friendly and helpful and i would recommend this property to others. I did read the other reviews and would have to say with some hesitation that there was alot of foot traffic however this is not the fault of the hotel(s) it is the patrons themselves though we certainly did not have anyone approach us or behave inappropriately towards us during our stay. We did not use the Water Park as we were there on business but did have a look at it and have to say it is quite incredible and would gladly like to bring my family back to try it out. The water slide looks very fun!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank Lyndie34
Fort Smith
Reviewed December 4, 2010

Things started somewhat uncomfortably as we waded through a group of 10 to 15 people smoking out front, one asked if we had booze, another if we had any weed. From there we proceeded up the filthy stairway and into our freezing cold room.
Now I think it's important to mention that we asked for a No Smoking room, because my wife is pregnant. I'm not one of those anti smoking extremists, but I wanted a NO SMOKING room. The room was the standard Northwest Ontario dive motel. Holes in the wall, burn holes in the carpet, burn holes in the usual nasty bedspread, burn holes in the sheets and a touch of blood on the bathroom doorway added a nice touch. As the Sunset outside the Sunset however, the real animals came out to play. The hallway was filled with people smoking, fighting and screaming. As the smoke quickly began to reach a level above what my wife was willing to accept, I began stuffing the dirty sheets and bedspreads into the spaces around the door. Around midnight, with the upstairs neighbours pounding on the floor and two guys fighting in the hallway and others yelling obscenities at each other, We finally realize we won't be sleeping and choose instead to try and make it through the night by watching TV.
The night reaches a new level of crazy, when around 3 am the neighbours beside us start screaming at there crying baby. Then the mother I presume?, takes off into the hallway, screaming obscenities. So as we checked out not long after. We walked back through the halls, Without a word of a lie it was like walking through a prison cell block. Most doors were open with people milling about in the hallways in various states of intoxication.
Now just to clarify the level of tolerance I have. I work flying Bush Planes and as such, I stay in some real nasty places, whether they be hotels, cabins, tents or even underneath boats. I can and have partied with the best of them, but this was way over the top crazy stuff. Oh ya and it was a Wednesday.
Don't stay at the Sunset!! This is the kind of stuff they make movies about.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
7 Thank canadapilot

Been to Sunset Inn? Share your experiences!