“Disappointing hotel with poor service”
Review of First World Hotel

First World Hotel
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Genting Highlands
Reviewed August 11, 2009

We went to Genting for the amusement park but the hotel took the cake, being the biggest hotel in the world with over 6000 rooms, we had to take a token just to reach the check in counter. Even though there were numerous counters, only a few were open and it took us 45minutes to get to the check-in counter.
Our luggage reached our room an hour after we checked in and throughout our stay of 2 days the service was at best slow.

We had the superior delux room but it was small, old, basic and bland. the room amenities are hidden inside cuppboards so if your not a drawer rattler, you wont find the tea tray (I found it while leaving the hotel), the hair dryer, and such.

over all not a place i'd visit again

• Stayed: July 2009
There are newer reviews for First World Hotel

Reviewed August 9, 2009

We checked in at First World Hotel July 2009 and we had interconnecting rooms. There are 5 of us travelling together (my husband and my in-laws). The rooms are small but it's ok if you just need a bed to sleep. The rooms have a safety deposit box that don't work :) but we didn't lost anything valuable anyway. Don't expect good service maybe due to a large number of guests they can't really handle it. The buffet breakfast is ok. Over-all we had no problems for a 1-night stay.

Reviewed August 7, 2009

We thought with the Guinnes Book of World record for the biggest hotel with 6000 rooms, at least it would be decent!!!

The room was plain as plain can be. Upon opening the room you are welcomed with the aroma of stale air from the dusty carpet.No air conditioner, only ceiling fan that reeked and tweaked like it was going to fall on us. Our window was looking DIRECTLY to another's room window..so much for privacy! The bedding gave us itches and I think the room furniture is older than me..and I have had 2 kids!

Breakfast was chaotic, but the food was decent. Go early or you will end up waiting in line for the fried noodle, they had two cooks cooking noodle incessantly with a giant wok and still people lined up, so there you go...

The room is really bad..but the hotel itself is quite nice. You have two Starbucks in the hotel, there are two theme parks, indoor and outdoor, casinos, restaurants, shops and so on. This came as consolation us as we planned to spend minimal time in the room.

It's not a bad place to stay, but if you want to stay there, remember one thing UPGRADE and see the room first!

Reviewed August 5, 2009

This was my First Trip to Malaysia And I Absolutely Loved Genting..Genting is famous for Casinos and Theme Park....
But For My suprise its a wonderful place for HoneyMonners...The weather was amazing.I stayed at first world Deluxe Room And Beleive me View was mindblowing from My Room...

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
Reviewed July 27, 2009

I went for a short weekend getaway with my family to Genting last weekend and stayed in First World Hotel. We reached the hotel around 10.30am and took a queue number to check in. We were told that we have to wait till 12pm for the check in to start according to our respective queue numbers. Since it was only a short 1.5 hours wait, there wasn't much of a problem. We asked for 2 connecting rooms but was told that the connecting rooms were booked and they would give us opposite rooms. But when we got to the hotel rooms, we realised that we were not given opposite rooms, and we were separated by another room in the middle. But we did not bother to change the rooms as we were only staying for 2 nights.

We got the standard rooms at a very cheap rate so i did not go with very high expectations but even so, i was mildly shocked when we finally had a look at the room. It was very small and compact. There's a small tv, 2 beds, a small toilet and small shower area. The toilet was so small and there wasnt even a lock for the door. As for the shower area, there was no space for you to hang your clothes in the shower room at all. You gota hang everything on the hook outside of the door. When we looked out the window, we can clearly see what the people on the lower levels are doing so i suppose ppl from above can see us too. But me and my mum were not very bothered by it and we even laughed when we saw the room allocated to us( guess it helps to have a sense of humour ).

The breakfast provided by the hotel at 3rd floor comes with limited selection and the setting of the breakfast area makes me feel like im eating in the army foodhouse.

The only positive feedback is that the hotel is near to First World Plaza and that there's a check out kiosk where you can just insert the room keys in the machine to complete the check out procedure.

I would not mind staying there again but i would definately get a better room. For those who are on a budget and without high expectations, guess the rooms are still okie.

Reviewed July 22, 2009

The basic room I stayed in was really tiny - two beds, a loo, no wardrobe, a TV, no sofa, a tiny desk the size of a larger Laptop computer, all squeezed into about 8 sq meters, the window opens up to offer a view of the opposite bank of rooms scarcely 1.5m away across the ventilation shaft, and if you breathe in deep you don't have enuff room to turn around standing up, and when you reach up with your hand to attempt to pick your own nose you invariably slap the other occupants in the same room! Hahahahaha. Its a study in miniaturization. I have been in larger aircraft toilets - but hey everything works, the rates' cheap, things are quite clean, and the hot water is free. And oh yes its LARGER than a capsule hotel capsule in downtown Tokyo. I used a room with wife and two kids and it was like barely standing-room only - we had to sleep in shifts (Hahahaha - when the parents sleep the kids go to the cinema).

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank npenbloc
Reviewed July 14, 2009

I chose to book a World Club room after reading the reviews from those who had stayed in other rooms, for approximately $15 US extra a night. The benefits of this in my opinion, are well and truly worth the extra cost. Firstly, arriving at 11:15, we could go directly to World Club reception and speak to a staff member - were told to come back at 12, at which time we were promptly booked in, given our choice of view, and the key to the room. No wait at all, no queue system...and line while I was there was never more than 3 parties waiting to book in.

Room (in Tower 1), was lovely and big (over twice the size of standard rooms), although couch had a dodgy looking stain on it, and room had only a supersize shower rather than bath as we had expected. Very clean though, complimentary drinks in the refrigerator, and a whole range of toiletries in the bathroom. Being on the 24th floor, the view was just amazing, and something we never tired of. Breakfast was just down the hallway in the Club lounge, never crowded, and had a great variety of food including vegetarian options (and a nice change from some other experience, unpolluted vegetarian options) and fresh cooked eggs - omelet with choice of fillings, scrambled etc.

The area outside the lobby is very cool, with fake trees and lights, and convenience to theme parks and restaurants makes a huge difference - very easy to retreat back to room for an hour's rest before heading out again. The whole atmosphere was just great, with everyone happy, so much to do, and so much accessible without every really heading outside - can easily reach other hotels and all their restaurants, amusements and shops.

I would definitely recommend this hotel - with proviso that a World Club room is booked - for the early check in, ease of check in, room size and breakfast quality and quiet :) Will be going back for sure!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Colmar Tropicale, Berjaya Hills
Crockfords
Crockfords
#8 of 11 in Genting Highlands

Been to First World Hotel? Share your experiences!