“Not bad at all!”
Review of Awana Hotel

Awana Hotel
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Genting Highlands
Reviewed December 22, 2009

I went & stayed at this hotel to keep my husband company, he had a conference there for 3 days and 2 nights. We were booked into the double deluxe room. Before I got to this hotel, I checked TripAdvisor to get a general idea of how the rooms would be like. This was important for me because I had it in mind to just stay in the room & enjoy it fully for those 3 days. There were a few negative reviews about the rooms at the Awana, but I had no choice as I was dragged along by my dear hubby :)

We drove there and upon reaching the place at 6PM, we were very lucky to secure a parking space that's very very near to the lobby entrance, it was almost a VIP parking spot. I could've even crawled to the lobby from there if I wanted to! Haha. Other visitors were not so lucky, the hotel's multistorey parking lot is quite a distance from the lobby. We headed straight to the hotel reception counter, where my husband was greeted with less-than-excellent service from the staffs there. He said it was as if the guy at the counter didn't care very much about us, maybe because it was a group booking..I don't know. We proceeded to head towards our room, which was located on the 12th floor of the tower block. All along the way, we could see that the hotel decoration is quite nice and beautiful, it's not elegant though, with quite a lot of neon signs.

Well, surprise surprise, the room we got was not bad at all! I just love the room, it was very comfy, cozy, clean, pleasantly cool (not too cold, and not hot either), with carpeting and decent furniture. The toilets..well, we've seen better but they're certainly okay..100% clean. The room comes with a minibar, a small TV, coffee making facilities, and even an iron & ironing board provided (which is essential in my opinion!). There was no safe, but it's okay..this time I'll be the safe because I'm not going to leave the room :p The only gripe we had with the room is the lack of ASTRO (satellite TV) channels, you can only get local TV channels. In this day & age when even budget hotels give you ASTRO in the rooms, this is quite a severe shortcoming. Regarding internet WIFI in the room, it's quite strange..as before we went there, I already called the hotel and asked them if they have free WIFI in the double deluxe room. They told me no, the rooms in the tower block does not have a WIFI service. I was disappointed but what to do? Turns out, the 1st night we were there, my hubby found out that there IS a WIFI internet service signal in the room..and we could just connect to it for free, it's fast too...weeehooooo!!! :)

Oh, and another thing, if you're planning to call up for room service in the tower block rooms, then forget about it. There are no room service available in the tower block rooms...but it's okay, because the food at the hotel is nothing to shout about. My hubby had his meals at the restaurant (The Rajawali coffeehouse) all the time we were there, and he told me that the food was really nothing special, just your normal hotel food fare. So the lack of room service is really not a big deal to me.

The cleaning staff that come by once a day to clean the room was very polite and efficient at her job. What else? Hmm, the weather there was very nice..when we went there, it was very foggy at all times of the day and it was cold, but not overly so. Oh, and I forgot to mention that the room comes with a ceiling fan! So if it gets kinda hot, even without air cond in the room, you won't sweat too much as there's the fan.

So overall, the Awana Genting was a pleasant experience. The hotel is not bad at all, it's very ideal for a weekend getaway. If you're looking to spend a lot of time at the theme park at the peak of Genting, then this place might not be for you, as it's quite far from the peak. But if you're looking for someplace quiet and a bit isolated from all the craziness of Genting, then the Awana fits the bill.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
3  Thank Qasyh

Reviewed December 17, 2009

before i go to awana genting i have read a lot of complains and underrated view. so i try to stay there for 2 night to experience it. Honestly i like the place. The room is quite amazing and really very clean. The room have new brand air conditioning and the bed is sooooo comfortable. The view from my room is spectacular. The breakfast also one of the best. I m just thinking why there were so many bad review about this hotel. But the negative point is just the services were not the good. The staff except the security not friendly and hard to see them greet us or even smile esp the receptionist.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank atan1331
Reviewed December 15, 2009

I was at the hotel for family trip, the location of the hotel is very nice, checkin time takes alot time, we had to wait for 3hours for checkin, hotel has good facilities, the food is good but not worth, overall the food & location is good of the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank scorpionrulez
Reviewed December 14, 2009

We have planned our trip to Genting for quite a while. Just wanted our 7 month baby to enjoy some cool breeze. Finally, we matched our schedules and booked the Awana Resort (all hotels on the top of the hill were booked solid). The pictures looked good and the place rated itself at 4 star resort.... We dragged our baby all the way up there.....to have the worst stay in our lives. The rooms were old, the carpeting and blankets were worn out. THERE WAS NO ROOM SERVICE (!!!!!!) The breakfast was bad with dirty plates all around... Looked like the owners spent absolutely nothing on maintenance, just cashing in the income.
We were booked for three nights but ran away next morning. Do never stay there! Genting location is beautiful, but all buildings overall are run down and the theme park is dirty.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank aidasmum
Reviewed December 3, 2009

I just got back from my vacation and one place which is still fresh in my memory is Genting Highlands and I decided to share this experience with everyone. My office left me exhausted and a long break was much needed. Since the trip after marriage (aka Honeymoon) was overdue, we decided to travel to Malaysia.Genting Highlands is by far Malaysia’s most popular destination as people pour in from different part of the world to see this hill station and Highlands's famous Shopping Malls, restaurants and nightlife.

Awana Genting Highlands is one of the best hotels in the city. The Staff was very helpful and the hospitality we got was very impressive. The room rent was very reasonable and has a breathtaking view.

Stayed: September 2009
1  Thank Ajitesh M
Reviewed November 29, 2009

Excellent variety of food during buffet breakfast. Swimming pool not large enough. There was power failure for one night for several hours during wee hours. Average room.

Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank cg7cr7
Reviewed November 29, 2009

What better way to contrast Malaysia than a week on the beach in Penang, three days in frenetic KL, and now a few days in the cooler verdant green Genting Highlands before heading to Melaka.
The Genting Highlands is an easy one hour drive from KL on the main East-West highway. The countryside changes dramatically as you leave the suburbs of KL. The hills close in cloaked in dense green jungle. You can feel the temperature drop the higher you go. At the turnoff to the Highlands you pass one of the "kitch-iest" fake castle police stations you've ever seen. All vehicles have to stop for a police check and there are dozens of CCTV cameras screening the vehicles. Why? I never did find out.
The Awana Genting is one of the original hotels in the Highlands, some 20 years old, and approximately 20 minutes by car or cableway from the theme parks and hotels on top of the mountain.
We stayed in timeshare in the same complex as the hotel so I can't comment on the hotel rooms themselves, however, all other amenities are shared by timeshare and the hotel alike. The Awana Genting is based on a beautiful 18 hole golf course. The central hotel, reception, restaurants and shops are located within a long covered walkway adjacent to the golf club and shuttle bus stop.
Reception was slow. This is a big facility catering to the hotel and timeshare and reception always seemed to be understaffed. The usual self important queue jumpers were present, however the staff always seemd to cater to them first, particularly if they were local, leaving everyone else standing around. This was quite noticeable all the time we were there, but maybe that was just my perception.
As stated I can't give an opinion on the hotel rooms but will give you an idea based on the two bedroom unit we stayed in. At the outset it needs to be said the whole complex is old and tired. The unit was large, reasonably furnished, but not clean or well maintained. Small things like having to get maintenance, after three attempts, to replace three out of four light globes in the main living areas, no plug in the sink, torn curtains, no bed cover only grubby blankets on a bed base. It was liveable and reasonably well set up. The units are not airconditioned but its not a problem as there were a number of ceiling fans throughout theunit and the weather is much cooler than coastal Malaysia.
The hotel has every imaginable indoor/outdoor activities, including a swimming pool and a large childrens pool with water slide (the pool was closed for maintenance for four of the seven days we were to stay). You can hire golf clubs and carts to take advantage of the golf course.
The hotel provides a free shuttle bus every 30 minutes to the Skyway up to the City of Dreams on top of the mountain. They gave us enough Skyway tickets for all of us for all of our stay if we wanted to use it. The bus also goes past Gohtong Jaya where we found a lot of interesting restaurants, all menus in Chinese, but noone spoke English. We did eat there once and the food was good, after receiving help from a local English speaking good samaritan.
We went to the hotel restaurant on our first night. There was a live band playing,however the restaurant is non-alcoholic - which seems strange as they have a number of bars onsite, and there were no other Westerners dining The setup was a large buffet of local food, which, while OK was not that good and not cheap.There is also a Korean restaurant onsite which we didn't eat in and couldn't find anyone who spoke English. As an aside don't ask the Information desk for anything, the attendant couldn't understand English for even the most fundamental questions.
That said: the room was just OK, food was a problem, the countryside beautiful and the weather interesting with low cloud and storms covering the area for much of the time.
The main attraction and the very reason for the Awana's existence is the Resort World at Genting Highlands. Accessed by the longest cable way in Asia at 3.8 km it is something to be seen to be believed - see separate attractions report. In general it consists of five huge hotels, an indoor and outdoor theme park, including a snow world (in Malaysia?), cinema showing latest run movies, and two casinos, heaps of shops and restaurants. And it was packed - 90% local- every time we went there. It is extremely popular with day trippers from KL both for the cooler weather and the attractions, they love it!
In summary, would I go there again? No, however it was worth the experience going there this time. We did not stay our full time, we headed for Melaka after three days. I would not recommend the Awana Genting Highlands Resort based on our experience.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
Maxims
Maxims
#6 of 10 in Genting Highlands
Colmar Tropicale, Berjaya Hills

Been to Awana Hotel? Share your experiences!