“Decent Place & better than First World Hotel for activities”
Review of Awana Hotel

Awana Hotel
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Genting Highlands
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Me and my wife visited Genting and Kuala Lampur for our honeymoon recently. The Awana Genting Highlands Resort was our abode there and our travel operator -Malaysiawonder.com ensured an awesome stay via a great honeymoon package coupled with good prices. The First World Hotel provides the only other choice of hotel here but having liked the Awana Genting from its pics & d activity nd luxury it offers, we decided to book this one.

The hill resort was reachable by car from Kuala Lumpur in around 90 mins and it was also accessible by the cable car (renowned as the world’s fastest) called Gentin Skyway and South East Asia's longest gondola lift. The travel agent arranged for our journey through this cable car and it was one of the most romantic journeys during our trip.

The room was decently large – at least 45 sq mt in area and had a great view of the thronging greenery bordering the area. All modern amenities like LED TV, electric kettle, electronic safe etc. were readily available. The dish TV had multiple channels of various languages. The service of the butlers was excellent and they even gave us local sightseeing suggestions including trying out the Awana Jungle Trekking Camp, which operates from the resort’s travel desk.

The Awana trekking was both adventurous and romantic at the same time. We travelled hand in hand through open fields of flourishing vegetation at one of Malaysia’s oldest rainwater forests. The guide was pleasant and guided us through the streams and waterfalls as we passed a wide array of colourful water birds, interesting insects and honeyed flowers. For the risk takers there is the casino operated by the Genting Malaysia Berhad (a subsidiary of the Genting Group) which is another superb getaway place. Thus overall the Awana is a recommended resort.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank karan654

Reviewed April 13, 2013

After having stayed at fantastic hotels in Kuala Lumpur and Langkawi, I was expecting to that my journey will end leaving me impressed of quality of hotels in Malaysia but unfortunately that wasn't the case. I mentioned to my wife, on our way from Kuala Lumpur to Genting in the cab, that I have a bad feeling about this and it proved to be right. From the moment I put my feet at the hotel's entrance till the time I checked out, the hotel proved it incompetency at every step.

I was getting out of the cab with my wife and 2 children (a 4 yr old and an infant) and I was glad to see 2 bell boys standing right there but to my surprise, they didn't even bother to come forward and take my luggage or at least help me out with my baby's stroller instead they were standing there smiling. I thought they must be following management instructions "Keep your smile"!

Moving ahead, the staff at reception was not welcoming at all, no hello or how may I help, instead "Do you have a reservation"? Not really what I expected, anyways I ignored but surprises were yet to come. I was given a room on Floor 7, which I expected to take an elevator upwards but instead it was downwards, YES, floor 7 was a floor below the lobby. The hallway to the room reminded me of an old warehouse where old mattresses and beds were put, smelly corridoors and horrifying surroundings. The room was no different, not enough lighting, old furniture and senseless decor. Thank God, I only stayed there for a night.

Next morning, I left my wife and children sleeping in the room and went for breakfast alone and as expected, it was simply Pathetic or may be pathetic doesn't describe it at all. The choice of dishes at the breakfast showed how poorly it was thought of and even poorly executed. We left the hotel for the day to the Highlands and came back as we had our flight back home.

The only thing I liked at the hotel was "Express checkout" where I didn't even have to speak with any of the staff and just threw my keycard in the box and left off, of course, to never ever go back there.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Muhammed Ali J
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Like a starlett of yesteryear,don't believe what you see in the photos.This is the old 1990s Liz Taylor not the 1960s Cleopatra version.The place is run down and I'm not sure a facelift would help.Our room had mold around the sinks and all over the bath pad. Don't plan on playing snooker, riding horses or rainforest hikes-DON'T EXIST! The family rec center was always full of smoke, its washrooms hadn't been cleaned in years, and the prices of activities were extreme.A worker was smoking at the pool and I notified the personnel."Smoking rules don't apply to workers" only paying guests.Breakfast was good if you didn't mind the birds eating out of the bread baskets.Make sure to have negotiations with taxi drivers in writing.BIGGEST PLUS-Sharmila in the business office was an angel and a world of help and advice.A long way from the airport, taxies are expensive and it isn't real easy to find in a rental.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Brian H
Reviewed April 8, 2013

It is not a 4 star, regardless of what they say. The rooms are awful, though the view from your window and balcony would be fantastic. Location is very peaceful.

The ironing board was the dirtiest I've ever seen. They gave twin beds to my husband and I. The blankets were worn and almost coming apart. The bathtub was dirty and the faucet alternately sprayed you or refused to work. No minibar - just a fridge.

Breakfast was ok for me, but for my husband, who is allergic to seafood and doesn't eat beef, options were quite limited.

Shuttle frequency is not very high so if you're going to the theme park or skyway, you need to plan it out properly.

The express checkout was quite cool.

Room Tip: Take one as high as you can get - the mountain view and the view of the golf course is utterly lovel...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank jaywalking_jay
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We went there from hongkong and blimey! what a disappointment from the word go!
reception and checkin- full of atitude ( no one told them that you need to be helpful n not try to look hot ), absolute impersonal and almost barking out orders to the "guests" and commanding .

if you haver gone there as a timeshare member of rci....be prepared for a full on step motherly treatment....expect smelly rooms, complete with cobwebs and shaky beds. Dusty surfaces and drawers , peeling paints, never to be used balcony , tubs with peeling paint and taps that dont function or faucets that leak....

if you are lucky , as we were, you might also spot a couple of dead bugs here n there...all this and we are told " sir -i have given you an upgraded room"!!!!

my list goes on n on but basically if you want to not throw away your vacation, stay away from awana....RCI....That call i made to you didnt help at all....

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank VoraSwati
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Awana Genting is 7 miles below the Genting Resort.

Being at the bottom of the resort it was much much a quiet place for travellers whom are there for a peaceful break (a retreat from the buzz of the city or away from work).

We enjoyed lazing by the pool the whole day with wonderful weather, as it's not that cold as compare to the Resort up the mountain.

It's was a very convenience drive, up to the Resort above for the Theme Park.

The Front desk staff were quite friendly but a little slow in the process.
Housekeeping team was great!

Overall a great place for recharge ~ away from all the buzz and stress of the city!

Room Tip: if you are staying on the tower block - ask for a room facing the resort.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Sharlene N
Reviewed April 4, 2013

The Hotel is located in a Calm and Green Location. I stayed with my family on the 26th Floor. The Hotel has a very nice swimming pool. From the Hotel you can view the Genting Highlands and the misty mountains. There are Free Shuttle buses from the Hotel to the Cable Car Station. The Hotel has a nice Golf Course. But the Restaurant is too crowded in the morning as all the guests queued up for the complimentary breakfast. If you want to relax you can stay there. If you want to enjoy the Genting theme parks, better stay in any of the Hotel in the Highlands, which will save you two to three hours of time. However Awana offers two way free pass to the Cable Car for the guests.

Room Tip: Select rooms on the top floors, which will give a better view of the Mountains.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Colmar Tropicale, Berjaya Hills
Genting Grand
Genting Grand
#3 of 11 in Genting Highlands

Been to Awana Hotel? Share your experiences!