“Hidden Gem”

Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Cumbria, England
“Hidden Gem”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Was recommended to this place by a local - tucked away down an alley - absolutely great meal - attentive staff - well worth the money. Will definitely return on our next stay in athdrum.

1 Thank BanksCumbria_England

Bunclody, Ireland
“Well worth the trip.”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Have not visited this restaurant for some years, it's still as wonderful. Amazing varied menu that also suited every budget and appetite, will not leave it so long to revisit.

preston
“yummy”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Whilst on holiday in Rathdrum Co Wicklow Ireland, my husband and I went for a meal to Bates Restaurant. Recommended by the person we were staying with, we looked at the menu located outside, which to my surprise itemised all meals suitable for a coeliac diet, We went into the restaurant, which was quite small, but the tables were set out in a spacious way and it was very clean. Happily were able to book and offered several tables. I say this because Bates restaurant gets booked up, especially at weekend.
We arrived the following evening and were greeted with a friendly smile and words of welcome.After being shown to our table and given both drinks and food menus, the waitress took our drinks order and because my husband is not a wine drinker she arranged for a bottle beer to be served. Soon after the waiter came to take our food order. I explained I was on a gluten free diet, about which he was very knowledgeable and arranged an alternative to bread with the starter and suggested main courses which could be supplied to accommodate my requirements.
The kitchen was on view to the customers and the food was freshly prepared, I had poached pear, stilton and walnut starter, followed by Fresh Trout, Mediterranean vegetables and chunky chips, all of which were delicious and moorish. The menu was changeable in that I wanted chips instead of mash and hubby has vegetables instead of salad.
After being served with each course the staff were very attentive without being obtrusive. The whole dining experience was a pleasure.

Frankfurt, Germany
“Best chowder!”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We spent our holidays in the area and luckily found Bates Restaurant! We came twice and I always took the chowder and the squid ink spaghetti with king prawns. Everything was excelllent! Our kids enjoyed the kids meals and my husband took the fish, at One point the trout and was also thrilled. Best food, really. Unfortunately we are now back in Germany and won't be around so soon! Cheerio from 4 satisfied Germans!

• Visited July 2013
“Great birthday dinner”
Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

This just a nice stroll from hidden valley & the food was divine. When the waitress heard it was my wife's birthday, dessert arrived with a candle, we thoroughly enjoyed our night at Bates.

• Visited July 2013