“Very disappointing, it used to be so much better”
Review of Bates Restaurant

Bates Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 6 Restaurants in Rathdrum
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Bates Restaurant, the award winning restaurant located in the picturesque town of Rathdrum, in the heart of Co Wicklow. The restaurant is popular with locals and tourists for traditional and innovative European cuisine. The menu offers a variety of Steaks from the Char-Grill, Surf and Turf as well as a range of chicken, duck, venison and pork dishes. Seafood is a specialty at Bates Restaurant, with at least six dishes on the menu every day, including famous Chowder, Mussels, Prawns, Scallops, Sardines, Salmon, Hake, Trout and Plaice. The complimentary brown bread served to every customer is freshly baked every day by the Bates team, as is the cherry tomato and olive oil bread. The black olive and sundried tomato tapenades are also homemade, along with the majority of the dessert dishes. As well as offering a wide range of vegetarian, gluten free and healthy options, Bates Restaurant also has an extensive children’s menu.
Reviewed February 10, 2012

On my birthday we decided to go to the Bates Restaurant, as we did go there about 4 years ago and it was just stunning at the time and I fell in love with it and was always looking forward to go there again.

On arrival we got the impression that the restaurant had changed a lot in the past few years as it was very noisy compared to before and there were a lot of families with little children running around and screaming through the whole restaurant. I doubt that 4 years ago families would have gone there as this used to be a high class restaurant at high prices. Anyways, I don't mind children running around but it was an early sign of the changes in the restaurant.
The ala card menue was ok but not as exceptional as it used to be.
I ordered a starter with aspargus and I was really dissapointed. I was served 5 asparagus rods with hollandaise sauce and that was it. Well to be honest, the hollandaise sauce was very dissapointing as it was out of a pack or can and wasn't homemade at all and it did taste very boring, no flavour at all. I had to pay for 5 asparagus rods with hollandaise sauce about 12€ which was way too much.
Well, my boyfriend wasn't too happy with his starter as well.
As main course I had breaded veal, which I was really looking forward to as you never happen to get veal in Ireland. Well, the main course was average. Good but nothing special! And to be honest 23€ for it was way too much.

Ok, the food was ok and therefore I can recommend going there but the service was just dreadful. Well, let's be fair. There were two waiting staff running around which seemed to do a good job. Unfortunately we were served by the owner of the restaurant and let's face it, she shouldn't be with customers at all. She never smiled, she never asked if everything was ok, she just dumped the plates on our table and dissapeared and she was very unfriendly towars the other waiting staff infront of the customers. This is an absolute no go! When we wanted to get our bill, she just left the bill with us and wasn't seen since, we didn't give tipp as she really didn't deserve it.
When we were there four years ago the service was just brilliant, so what on earth happened?!

We didn't order a dessert, which we usually do but we just wanted to get away.

So, can I recommend the Bates restaurant?
For people/couples who are looking for a romantic night out and who have been there years ago: NO! It's a different restaurant! Don't waist your money!

For families who want to enjoy an evening out and don't care about the service: YES! The food is good/ok.

Will I go there again? I don't think so, there are better places around.

My overall conclusions: The Bates has changed a lot and the only thing the managed to keep are their prices! Disappointing!

Reviewed January 30, 2012

We loved our evening in Bates at the weekend. Felt very relaxed - great food, wine and atmosphere. Highly recommend it. Impressed that the value menu is available on a Saturday evening but still lots of delicious choices. We'll be back!

1  Thank HelenLK
Reviewed January 15, 2012

Have visited here twice in the last month and on both occasions it was fantastic. The food is beautiful and service excellent. Everyone enjoyed their meal. Look forward to going again.

1  Thank WicklowGaby
Reviewed November 28, 2011

Very quiant resturant behind the Cartoon Inn. Food was great and located in an old building surrounded by square of other old buildings. Parking lot across the street. Very Irish. Be safe and have a reservation.

1  Thank sportbros
Reviewed October 31, 2011

This is by far one of the best restaurants I've ever been too. I've been here several times both with my husband and with friends. The food has always been nothing but excellent and perfectly portioned and the service impeccable. The best thing about Bates, is the value. You would definitely expect to spend a lot more once you see the bill. I will say that there could be a better selection of wine. The focus is more to Italian tastes but they use locally sourced ingredients and the quality shows through in both the flavours and the menu.

1  Thank littlebird_Ireland