“Great time in hidden valley!!”

Hidden Valley Holiday Park
Reviewed July 26, 2011

Just back after a week in a log cabin in this lovely park. very impressed with the log cabin, it had everything you would need. Very clean, nicely decorated and leather sofas in sitting room. Constant hot water for sink and showers. Kitchen had all the utensils you need for self catering, just take your own wash up liquid and tea towels and matches (these can be bought in shop anyhow). Comfortable beds and lots of storage space. Enjoyed the decking area and the picnic table and as the weather was nice we ate outdoors most meals. This is a VERY quiet camp site - really idyllic. Kids enjoyed the kayaking, I tried the boat and failed (upper body strength needed!!). Life jackets are supplied, water only few feet deep but safer to wear it. Under 12s kiddies disco was great fun, kids made friends who they met the day after for some net fishing in the lake. Barry in reception does some great magic tricks and the kids (and myself) were well impressed!! The staff were helpful and friendly. Chips in diner were delicious, we got them to accompany a pizza one night. Large portions too. We went to Dublin Zoo, Bray, Wicklow town, this is a great base and close to Avoca and Glendalough too. Wouldn't hesitate to go back here!!! ENJOY!!!!

1  Thank foafCork

Reviewed July 25, 2011

Just made a weekend trip to Hidden Valley with a large group of family and friends, including young children. From the moment we arrived, we were harrassed by the Manager on site, who the owners should really send on a customer relations course. This person made up complaints from other campers about our group, which were all lies. He continually threatened us with the €50 deposit we had to pay on arrival. It was my first experience of camping and this person made it a bad one which was a shame as the park itself was quite good. Toilet and shower facilities were great along with the playground for the kids (who all had a ball). I wouldn't recommend this park and wont be visiting again. I did complain directly to the site, but not suprisingly, I haven't received a reply.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
11  Thank ag1980186605
Reviewed July 20, 2011

We've just returned from a very enjoyable 3 day break in Hidden Valley, despite the inclement weather and a toddler who didn't sleep brilliantly, we all had a great time.

The site is divided into two - one half has marked pitches with electricity and water which cater for caravans/camper vans and for tents; the other half is basically a field beside the river where you can pitch your tent anywhere. We went for a marked out pitch with electricity, mainly because we could park our car right beside the tent and we were worried about our 18 month old rambling into the river. The toilet block was warm and kept clean when we were there - including a very busy Saturday night - and the shower units had proper doors on them plus bench and hooks to keep your stuff which was partitioned from the shower (no chance of your clothes getting wet). Camper's kitchen has free hot water for washing dishes with lovely views of the river and also electric hobs (coin operated).

Staff were friendly and helpful and my kids (7&5) adored the adventure playground (this is FREE for residents, despite what you may have read here in previous emails) and the kayaking and rowing on the lake.There were activities on every night in a marquee - kids' disco, bingo, movies. etc. Campsite very quiet at night too.

My only quibbles - only 2 places to eat in Rathdrum village, one of which is a bit upmarket for small kids, someone open a pizza/italian restaurant please! Staff in the campsite were totally unable to recommend anywhere to eat in the surrounding area which was a bit disappointing- we eventually drove to Wicklow town where the newly opened Mylos pizzeria did the biz. Also the showers operate by purchasing tokens but the dispensing machine was empty on Sunday morning, so no showers for us that day, next time I'll buy in advance. Finally, my shower on the last day was not very hot - just this side of chilly - but there was a handyman working on the one beside so I think the situation was in hand.

All in all, I would absolutely recommend this campsite for anyone looking to bring their kids away for a few days of adventure, my guys were very sad to leave and we have promised to come back at least once before they go back to school.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank Niamh2809
Reviewed July 14, 2011

We have just returned from 1 nights camping at this park and a word of advice to anyone thinking of camping here reconsider it as the smell of sewage in and around the park is awful.it put us of doing the bbq which we had planned.Another thing to note is the toliet and shower facilities are not kept very clean.again there is an awful smell and the floors are constantly wet(very dangerous considering there are children using them).

Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
8  Thank cegan97
Reviewed July 10, 2011

Travelling & hiking in the area I stayed here for a night on my own. First impressions, a well run campsite mainly directed towards families. I can't comment on prices of the playground facilities but the showers were good value, and the onsite diner seemed reasonable (the lady here is very friendly). On friendliness, I did detect a slight abrasive manner from the owner but having been on noisy campsites, it is nice not to have night noise and the place seems like it's run pretty much shiptight. He did come across as a no-nonsense kind of guy.

However, there is one thing that shocked me and it was the lack of water safety around considering there is a large amount of water flowing pretty fast through the site. Not a single ringbuoy to be seen anywhere. At the salmon weir, I saw one child walking along the rim of the weir steps & anyone who knows the danger of these and what happens when you get pinned by the water (two of us watched in horror) would be shocked that it's not closed off better to stop children playing around it.

Only other negative was the quality of the ground for pitching, full of stones, bent a pile of pegs and just as well there was no wind as they wouldn't have held.

Other than those two points, I would recommend it (not a late night party place which is nice) and would return. They also take dogs as long as they're on lead and not being a nuisance (fair enough).

But please do something about water safety, children can disappear into water so quickly & weirs are a deadly river structure for anyone. It only takes one incident.

• Stayed: July 2011
3  Thank surfz
Reviewed July 10, 2011

Lovely campsite ,we where in our camper and had plenty of space , facilities where very good loads for the kids to be doing (only complaint we have is ,and it's a small one is that the play area closed at7pm ) would highly recommend hidden valley to anyone .

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed May 24, 2011

Had such a fantastic stay. From the minute we arrived we were warmly welcomed by the friendly staff which was a great start to a great weekend. Facilities were great, had all we needed. Looking forward to our next break.

• Stayed: May 2011