“Good Food, Good Service, and more”

Encore @ Inn On The Lake
Ranked #3 of 11 Restaurants in Fall River
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 9, 2013

We weren't originally going to go here because of a couple of bad reviews so we were VERY MUCH pleasantly surprised at the delicious food. They even have a large selection of gluten-free items on menu.

I had the seafood chowder based on a review and it was not a let down, tasting very good.

The service was excellent and the young lady serving us never left us waiting for anything.

We sat out on the patio which seemed very nice but the closeness of the freeway can make it very noisy although I still preferred it to sitting inside.

Although we didn't stay at the inn, I think that I would next time. It looks like a very nice place.

susannelson, Owner at Encore @ Inn On The Lake, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

Dear Frankly2Honest,

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. I am very happy to read that you were pleased with your dining experience here and I look forward to having you stay with us in the future.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

We were on our way to the airport to catch a flight to Heathrow, but had allowed time to dine in the Encore, a restaurant at which we have had many fine meals in the Inn on the Lake hotel.

We were seated at a table for two by a window and were immediately brought water and asked what we would like to drink. My wife chose a glass of Vidal Riesling and I opted to make a start on a bottle of Shiraz-Malbec. Fresh hot bread followed shortly thereafter.

We both chose the escargots, which arrived in good garlic butter, not the oil of some chefs, who should be demoted to sous-chef for such deceit, in which, after devouring the snails, we delightedly soaked our fresh bread..

My wife, after joining me in the bottle of red, chose a bowl of seafood chowder as her main, thinking it would be her last good bowl of seafood chowder she would be able to order for a month. It was memorable, she declared. I, also thinking of fresh fish, chose the broiled halibut with veggies. Again, a good choice, as the halibut was beautifully just cooked, leaving it very moist inside.

I usually take pictures of meals we eat out together and it was at this point I realised I had left the camera at home. OH NO!!! So we had to leave rapidly, dash home and then back to the airport. We made it.

This restaurant is thoroughly recommended and, if you wish to make it a romantic weekend, the hotel has lovely old-style very comfortable rooms. And they have a shuttle to the airport.

susannelson, Owner at Encore @ Inn On The Lake, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Dear Melville P,

Thank you for the great comments & detailed review on your experience at Encore. I am very pleased to read that you had a memorable experience. Thank you & we hope to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed July 4, 2013

Staying at the Inn made going to the restaurant an easy choice. Seafood CHOWDER? Now this is one that will get your taste buds singing. I tried chowders from Nova Scotia to New Brunswick, this is the one that should be world famous. Salmon also turned out to be a superb choice. Excellent meal for my final night innovation Scotia.

1  Thank Laurie B
susannelson, Owner at Encore @ Inn On The Lake, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

Dear Laurie B,

Thank you so much for the great review. Our chowder is by far our most popular item - it’s still great to hear such nice words like yours about it. We hope to have the chance to serve you again if you’re ever out this way in the future.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

It is hard to tell if this would be a good restaurant in normal times. It is definitely not a good place if an event is booked (wedding, grad ...).

Our server took our orders, brought us wine and announced freshly baked bread was coming. Minutes later, maybe seconds, our orders appeared, lukewarm at best. The seafood crepe was well past its best before date; no way it had been made less than 2 hours previous.

And then we were ignored. The bread never appeared. Staff were busy with more important people, I guess.

The hotel is clean and quiet and has friendly, efficient staff. Go for the hotel. But eat somewhere else if you suspect there is an event booked.

(But the stained glass is nice, so 4 stars for atmosphere.)

susannelson, Owner at Encore @ Inn On The Lake, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2013

Dear btfsplk

Thank you for the kind words regarding the Inn, staff and atmosphere.

Three years ago we expanded our kitchen to avoid wedding, graduations, etc. negatively impacting our regular diner’s experiences. Special occasions are now served from a second kitchen by culinary team and servers that are just dedicated to that function. There should have been no impact on your service from the wedding.

The seafood filling was prepared two days earlier and wrapped in the crepe and heated at the time of service. It is a very popular dish and usually receives great reviews.

There is no excuse for your meal being served lukewarm or the server forgetting your bread. I wish you would have notified us of your concerns while you were in the restaurant so we could have corrected the shortfall. Our policy is to replace a guests’ meal or write it off if they are not happy with the quality of the dish.

I do hope you give us another chance to be of service.

Yours truly

Reviewed June 24, 2013

We go back hoping that the only place to eat in Fall River, will improve. After 2 years of consistently poor food, We give up! "Encore" will not be an encore for us.
My husband had the Curried Chicken. The chicken was overcooked and tough, the Basmati Rice, crusty and cold. The vegetables where out of a bag, industrial and tasteless.
I chose the special, a Seafood Mango Salad. The description was 'like a Spinach Salad with seafood and mango". I thought I had been served the wrong dish. A pink cream sauce laden dish with a few leaves of Bib Lettuce, was placed in front of me. I discovered there were indeed a couple of pieces of spinach under the sea of sauce. Seafood? Two shriveled mussels on the side, and 3 little not fresh shrimp. Mango diced the size of pine nuts and sparse.
Melanie was our server, and she was wonderful. Comment card completed, we paid and left.

1  Thank OLIVEOILADDICT

Dear OLIVEOILADDICT

I am pleased to hear you enjoyed Melanie’s service.

The curried chicken from the menu is one of our most popular dishes; we serve over 100 each month and have been doing so for three years. Yours is the first complaint I’ve heard.

The appetizer seafood salad special consisted of bib lettuce, spinach, sliced endive, diced celery and mango, baby shrimp, baby scallops and lobster. It was garnished with two mussels and chives and served with tomato & lemon aioli. We served twenty of the appetizers. Yours was the only negative review we received. In fact, a number of diners I spoke to raved about how much they enjoyed it.

Neither Melanie nor any of the other staff recall you complaining about the food.

I do wish that you had brought your concerns to our attention so we could have remedied the situation while you were here.

I understand a new French Bistro will soon open just down the road from the Inn – perhaps you should favour them with your patronage in the future.

Yours truly