“Expected to be impressed...was not”

La Cave de Strasbourg
Ranked #1 of 10 Restaurants in Fall River
Cuisines: French, German, European
Good for: Romantic, Kids, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Fall River, Canada
“Expected to be impressed...was not”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2014

This evening, we ventured to eat here for the first time. Brought a couple with us, all of us brought our appetites, and are used to fine dining.

We ordered the french onion soup, tiger shrimp, scallops, seafood fettuccine, and the gypsy schnitzel. Of everything, the soup was the tastiest, but the serving size for the price was very small. The fettuccine noodles were lumpy and the sauce was runny. My friend could not finish his plate. The schnitzel was bland. The shrimp and scallops were ok.

We left feeling hungry and unsatisfied, having spent far too much on far too little.

• Visited August 2014

Halifax, Canada
“Excellent Food in Fall River”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2014

My husband and I ate at La Cave de Strasbourg last evening to celebrate our wedding anniversary. When we arrived our waitress, Renee, greeted us at the door and led us to our table. She asked if the window table overlooking the lake was ok or if we preferred somewhere quieter. We opted for the view, which was awesome. Very quickly Renee brought us ice water with lemon and opened the bottle of wine we brought from home. The warm bread and butter was a great start while we waited for our appetizers. My husband started with the scallops in whiskey sauce which he said were excellent. I had the award winning onion pie, no supprise it won an award, it melts in your mouth. A must try. For our mains I had the lamb stuffed with lamb and wrapped in bacon. It was very good. Alittle over done for my taste but very tasty none the less. My husband had the bulgogi special, it was delicious. He opted for the spicy version over the sweet and sour and he said it was spicy but not too spicy for him. For desert he had the apple pie alsace which was also delicious and I had the cheese pie with maple syrup which was also very good, very light and maple syrup was the perfect topping for me. I didn't realize all the deserts are homemade until I asked Renee, next time I will definately have the creme brulee.
As others have said the chef came out and greeted us, I thought this was a great touch. Renee was very knowledgable about the items on the menu and was very helpful with sharing her favorites and the opinions of other patrons on the various menu items.
We will definately return, it was a fantastic night. The atmosphere was great, and the staff were very friendly. Our bill including a corking fee of $10 (which is awesome) but not including tip came to $111, which we thought was very reasonable. Especially without having to drive into the city. I hope they do very well and continue in Fall River for years to come.

• Visited August 2014
Edmundston
“Disappointing lunch”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2014

I recently took a friend to La Cave de Strasbourg looking forward to a wonderful lunch after having had a delicious dinner there on a previous occasion. Sad to say that was not our experience. We both ordered a bowl of French onion soup, a favorite of ours. The soup served in a lovely little covered pot was delicious but the quantity should have been described as a cup size instead of a bowl. We both felt it was overpriced. We also tried the wings which were tasty but the sauce was soupy and very messy. Our server was friendly but slow and forgot things a few times. We left feeling hungry and disappointed.

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank mogilly
Inverness, United Kingdom
“Patio a great addition”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2014

Tried their new Wings and Alsace Pizza on the newly added patio. Friendly service, amazing wings (hot are very spicy, but just right) and delicious Alsace Pizza (thin flaky crust, onions, creamy cheese and bacon).

• Visited July 2014
Halifax, Canada
“Delicious and different”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2014

My fiancé and I decided to try this restaurant for a nice date one night. The food was really good, the service was good, the view over the lake is beautiful and the price is reasonable! They've really put effort into making the place seem like you might just be in France. The chef, who came out to check if people were enjoying their meals and tell us a bit more about it himself, is in fact from France. My fiancé is a bit of a foodie and he really enjoyed his chicken cordon bleu. I had a seafood pasta which was also delicious and very fresh! Also, you can choose to bring your own wine for a corkage fee, if you wish.

• Visited June 2014