“Lovely, convenient Lodgings”
Review of Inn on the Lake

Inn on the Lake
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Fall River
Reviewed July 12, 2014

A flight that landed at 11:30 at night was a motivator in booking a hotel closer to the airport than to downtown Halifax. It was a smart decision, as it made a good jumping-off point for our day-trips. The staff was friendly, our room was large, clean and well-appointed with refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker. Although there is no elevator, the second floor rooms are only half a flight up from the lobby. The property is on a lake with a private beach, although there's more pebbles than sand. We had dinner one night in the restaurant, sitting on the covered patio, and it was gorgeous, with good food. The only minor downside was that the pool was too cold to swim in comfortably, even on a hot day.

Room Tip: There are no elevators, though the second floor is only half a flight up.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
susannelson, Owner at Inn on the Lake, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2014

Dear jennetj,

Thank you for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor. We are pleased to read that overall your stay was enjoyable. We have found that most guests don’t enjoy the chlorine that is required when the pool heated, so we opted to use less chlorine and have a cooler pool. We appreciate the great scores and we hope to have you as our guest again in the future.

Reviewed July 12, 2014

Four of us sat down on the deck Friday evening 11th. July, for a most excellent and enjoyable evening meal.
The quality of food and the service was superb and a great night was had by all.
I can highly recommend this eatery, and we will return on our next visit to wonderful Nova Scotia.
Well done Inn on the Lake.

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank JandBRare47
susannelson, Owner at Inn on the Lake, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2014

Dear JandBRare,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on us. We appreciate the great review and we will be certain to pass this along to our team. We see you are from England and we thank you so much for visiting us when you were here. We hope to have the chance to serve you again.

Reviewed July 4, 2014

On 7/3 UNITED cancelled our flight due to severe weather conditions so we couldn't come and use our one-night reservation with this hotel. While the flight being delayed and later cancelled I was keeping the hotel front desk in the loop - by calling them on each update. So the hotel was aware we wouldn't be able to come and stay, and it was simply no way to make to Halifax that day after the only direct flight got cancelled.
However the final cancellation notice came from UNITED 1 hour 40 minutes after 4 pm Halifax local time (per the hotel policies at 4 pm a reservation becomes non-refundable).
Both ORBITZ and myself felt that there was no fault from my side though, and asked for reimbursement. ORBITZ representative spoke to the hotel twice 7/3 and 7/4, but the supervisor (Susan N.) refused to refund the amount I had paid ($152). I was also told by the front desk it was the owner's decision.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Rostov-Don
susannelson, Owner at Inn on the Lake, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2014

Dear Rostov-Don,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience. We understand your frustration, however, you booked your room through Orbitz which has a non-refundable cancellation policy which you agreed upon when you chose to book through a third party booking engine. Third party booking engines are a great way to save money, however, there are terms that come with booking through these kinds of engines, such as a no cancellation policy. Should you have made your reservation directly at the hotel, we would have gladly changed the date of the reservation or cancelled it for you at no charge. We recommend that you contact the airline that cancelled your flight to see if they will refund the money, or perhaps Orbitz can refund your money to you since they felt so strongly to go against their own booking policy.

In the future, we recommend all bookings to come through to the hotels directly, although hotels do not provide deep discounts such as the third party booking engines, it does provide you with more freedom to make changes and cancel your reservation should you wish to.

Reviewed June 28, 2014

Did not stay at the Inn although it looked like a very nice place to stay. We celebrated our Grand Daughter's Graduation with a nice supper and I was pleasantly surprised at the awesomeness of the service and quality of the food at their restaurant. There was eleven of us so we had a variety of meals ranging between fish, steaks, pasta and more. None of us had anything but praise for the quality and taste of their food. The deserts were delicious and tasted home made. The service was great.. We had our own private area where we stayed for over 2 hours enjoying a few laughs with family and friends. Will definitely eat there again and also recommend it to my friends. If there is one negative thing to say it would be that we got there an hour early and they would not accommodate us even if it did not seem all that busy at the time.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed June 20, 2014 via mobile

What can I say about this inn. The value was great, fireplace in our room, great view of the lake. The concierge was so helpful, and the staff at the lounge were more than accommodating. I recommend this hotel for anyone traveling through Nova Scotia.

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed June 17, 2014 via mobile

Surprised my wife with a night here with the Romance Renewed package the day after our wedding. It was a lot closer to the Halifax Shopping Center and Bayer's Lake than I had imagined, only about 15 minutes with light traffic. It was also a lot quiter than I had expected considering it is right on the highway.

The room was very clean, which I expected but was still pleased with. The jacuzzi was nice, as well as the complimentary champagne we had gotten as a congrats gift.

The staff was very friendly, always making sure to greet us and to ask how everything was.

We ate at Oliver's, and the food exceeded my expectations (a teacher when I took culinary arts used to talk about the place a lot, and had good things to say.) I have a minor allergy to sweet potato (which I didn't mention when I ordered the twice baked potato with my meal) but the server was very pleasant about it when I asked for another side to replace that.
My only complaint, which isn't much of a complaint, would be the coffee maker in the room. I would highly suggest an upgrade to a Keurig or Tassimo in at least the deluxe rooms.

All in all it was a great stay, I just wish the weather had been warmer so the pool could have been open or we could have gone swimming in the lake.

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed June 12, 2014

Stunning location marred somewhat by highway traffic noise, but I knew about the highway location before booking. Easy check in and a comfortable room that was nice and clean even though it showed some - to be expected - wear and tear. My two encounters with the dining room (tea and desert, taken out to the lake front and breakfast the following morning) were more than satisfactory, both in terms of service and quality/taste/price.
Would not hesitate to return at the price I paid; at maybe even a little more.
Also the cleanest hotel bathroom I have seen in a long time.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the side of the building away from the highway.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fall River
Chateau Bedford
#12 of 28 in Halifax
Downtown Halifax
Prince George Hotel
Prince George Hotel
#3 of 28 in Halifax

Been to Inn on the Lake? Share your experiences!