“Has so much more potential, enjoyable but improvements needed!”

Porto Marina Resort & Spa
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in El Alamein
Reviewed June 11, 2012

Went for a brief weekend with my kids. We managed to enjoy the great weather and the beach. The location is nice, the beach is OK and that is where we spent most of the time.
Yet the Hotel needs a big improvement in management and staff training. Also the facilities should NOT be closed in June and with reasonable high occupancy.
Kept looking and searching for the hidden Kids Play Area and never found one. The water slides were closed.
While it is nice that there is an activity team and they do some shows in the evening, but these can benefit from an upgrade, need to be announced a lot better throughout the hotel so people actually know about them. Also need to be throughout the day in different locations, on the beach, pool, walkway..etc..
The food and the service in the restaurants needs a step change, while quantity and variety is OK, presentation and quality are poor. There is no water offered on breakfast, either get a very polarising juice, milk or buy a 600% overpriced warm bottle of water.
Check in and out needs a turn around too, it can't take 40 minutes for each room to check in, I booked through Expedia and they didn't even have the booking on their system, had a prepaid booking and upon checkout they were asking me to pay for accommodation, I should not need to tell them that I paid fully in advance..etc..

Net, a really nice place but so under served and can be easily fixed to become amazing or else...

Room Tip: Avoid the far away towers from the reception as then the walk to the beach and restaurant will be pa...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Akram E, General Manager at Porto Marina Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2012

Dear Mr. Ahmed,
thank you for taking the time to share your experience and your review of Porto Marina Resort & Spa.Please be assured that your comments will be addressed with the respective departments.We would like to assure you that we take all our guest comments seriously. We can only hope that you give us the opportunity to change your mind about our property and choose to stay with us on your next visit to Marina El Alamein.
Akram ElShaer
Hotel Manager

Reviewed June 10, 2012

I went to Porto marina on 4th of June for 5 nights with my children and my family.
We stayed from 2 PM to 5 PM to do the check in as the hotel was overbooked and they could not find us any rooms, although we have reserved 5 rooms and paid deposits and had confirmations!!! But they could provide us with only 2 rooms.
After 3 hours they upgraded 2 rooms to 2 suites and the third was a veryyyyyy small room that you can never consider a room hotel and although they upgraded the 2 rooms still we had a problem with the third that it can not accommodate 2 adults ???!!!!, when I was very angry the receptionist was very cool and told me we already upgraded 2 rooms to suites as a good gesture from us.
I did not need this good gesture I needed my five standard rooms ready on time.
This was the first entry, second I was told the following:
The swimming pool with the large slides is closed and under maintenance, the new beach is closed and will open on 15th of June, the Sky lounge the same is closed and will open on 15th of June.
I was shocked it seems that the summer did not arrive yet in this Hotel, noting that it is FULLY BOOKED.
I said OK I will enjoy this vacation by all means, I knew that they had Tennis courts, but they are closed and will open next day, my children kept wearing everyday their tennis suits and going to the tennis courts to be told come next day please - till we knew that also the tennis courts will open on 15th of June
Food was below average not a five star Hotel Buffet by all means.
My daughter got sick the third day and we knew from the pharmacy that they had a lot of cases of stomach problems especially poor children.
The place is really nice I was very sorry that it is managed this way.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

Dear Mrs. Noha,
Thank you for staying at Porto Marina Resort & Spa.
I am sincerely sorry to read about your dissatisfying stay at our hotel. This will be addressed with Front office, Recreation, and Food & Beverage Departments to make sure that these issues are solved. We can only hope that you give us another chance in the future.
Please accept our sincere apology.
Akram ElShaer
Hotel Manager

Reviewed April 19, 2012

Im a Brit working in Egypt and thus experienced enough not to expect paradise. However, it was so bad i left early.
- food - local cuisine ie pigeon
- activities - everything was closed except chillis
- spa service - was not working and dirty towels lying on floor
- beach - very small and poorly maintained
- rooms - basic but clean
- locality - you are in the middle of no where. Only a ww2 museum near but it is not worth visiting even for the most avid history fan.
- no alcohol any where

• Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank bj-bobofett
Reviewed April 17, 2012

-I was there in easter vacation which was almost 4 days (long vacation for egyptian), only one small pool working (among 5) no water slides at all are working!!

-Kids area are all covered with dust, have nothing to do at all.

-For the heated pool U have to pay 50 LE for adult & 25 LE for kids.

and even when we go to pay to use it, they decide to do maintance in the middle of the day while guests are already inside pool (1PM)!!!

-Hotel staff know nothing of how to deal with guests.

-SAT TV - very limited (9 Channels, only 1 for kids)

-toielts are terrible, U can compare it to 3 starts hotel not 5.

-Beach just a short narrow strip with nothing at all

-We reserved for 3 nights there, but we did check out after less than 24 hours and no one at the front desk asked if something bothered us or why we cancel our vacation!!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank Mona Z
Reviewed March 22, 2012

Hello,
I stayed for 3 nights with my wife.
The food is good, the room is simple and small, the pool with a nice view but not wide nor heated.
The animation is targeting the kids only.
It was too expensive comparing to the red sea hotels and it was only for half board.

Room Tip: Rooms on the sea view are the best
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ragui_Bassali
Reviewed March 1, 2012

The resort is 250km from cairo and 100 km from alexandria. It is located at a lake connected to the medetrranian sea. The beach is sandy, and the water is very calm. It contains many swimming pools, health club, many cafes and restaurants with diversity of all kinds of foods (they all do not serve alcoholic drinks), there is a cinema theatre and conference hall. Boating, serfing, and other water activities are available. There is a shallow artificial canal, where a boat like those of venice can take you for a very short ride. The rooms are large with contemporary furniture. The breakfast is an open buiffet, and it is good.

Room Tip: Take a sea view room, in the higher floor
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed November 7, 2011

We were expecting a luxury family holiday and I must tell you that we were not impressed by the standards or service we received.
It was an Egyptian long weekend and we were advised that the resort would be in full swing, with everything open. NOT TO BE:

The problems included:

• Check in was a 25 minute ordeal (even though we had an accommodation voucher).
• There was broken glass on both of the single beds when we first went into the room. It took housekeeping 45 minutes to send someone up to clean this up. They did a poor job and I ended up cleaning it properly after they left.
• Over 90% of the shops were closed - and looked like they had been for some time
• Many of the restaurants and cafes were closed
• The fun park was VERY poorly maintained to the point of being dangerous
• 3 of the pools were closed and taped off to prevent entry
• The supermarket was closed
• The food we had at Chillis was terrible and the service was also very bad.
• Meals in the hotel restaurant are ridiculously overpriced
• The fridge in our room did not work
• WIFI is not available in the rooms although they advertise this
• The resort is dirty and showing wear and tear that is not in line with the prices they charge
• The water at the beach was full of rubbish and smelled like sewerage
• Beach service for meals and drinks was non-existent.
• Reception and concierge could/would not give us advise on tours, boat trips or any other information. They were rude and ignored us when we asked questions.
The advertising, website and brochures make the place look like the ideal family luxury get away full of adventure and fun.
Unfortunately, for myself and my family, it was a an expensive three days with disappointment after disappointment.

I would not recomend this hotel to anyone. Look to Sharm El Shiek or Hurghada for and Egyptian beach getaway!

Room Tip: Don't go there
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family