“All nice but fake”

CTTours - Carrara Marble Quarries private tours
Ranked #3 of 10 Tours in Carrara
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Guided tours at the world's largest marble basins, know more about the marble civilization visiting: Carrara marble quarries, quarrymen's villages, Carrara historical center, workshops of art, marble laboratories.- Private guided tours for small groups - Half and full day guided tours for larger groups
Reviewed May 24, 2013

I visited the quarries with friends by minivan on May 21. The driver was very friendly but spoke only using clichés, stereotypes, as if we were children of 8 years. I had the impression to be in Disneyland. I didn't see anything that the driver explained. I saw blocks on trucks but not how they cut it. Would be better to watch a documentary.

1  Thank Douglas L
Umberto C, Proprietario at CTTours - Carrara Marble Quarries private tours, responded to this reviewResponded May 26, 2013

Dear Douglas,

I'm Umberto Cattani owner and provider of guided tours in the marble quarries, please note that this is not a website where freely post comments about the Carrara marble quarries, but the profile of a specific licensed tourist guide, if i was not your guide, why post a review in my website?

I assume that you should still have the email of your guide, why don't you write to him/her your complain?

I'm truly sorry, I'd like that everyone coming here would have the opportunity to enjoy, admire, understand, appreciate, my region. It's something unique all over the world, it's worth visiting!

I don't speak using cliche nor dealing with people as they were 8 years old, my English is pretty fluent, and my behavior is frank and direct. And the tour you payed for, has nothing to share with the tours I use to provide.

Look, if you will ever come back to Tuscany, please contact me and I'll make you experience the difference!

Warm regards and arrivederci a Carrara!

Umberto

Reviewed May 9, 2013

My mother and I travel to Italy each year. This year we were in northern Tuscany and our morning at Carrara with Umberto was one of our most unforgettable experiences in Italy. Umberto is a native of Carrara and gave us a real insiders view of the town and its marble quaries. We began by seeing a place where the marble is processed. We saw it being cut and carved which was fascinating. Then we drove up into the mountains which was stunning ending at the quaries where, of course, Umberto knew the the "capo" or head of the quarry.. Standing on marble looking at marble all around you was awesome. We then drove into the mountian where we were able to walk around a marble cave - a room made completely of marble. Our next stop was a place were we saw the tools that have been used over the centuries to quarry the marble and transported over the years. Our last stop was in Collinata at a small family establishment where we learned how they made their famous Lardo and even had a taste. Umberto made all these insider touches possible and we left with an idea of not only the place but the people who have lived and worked their over the many years. Umberto made everything come to life. This is something you should not miss.

5  Thank Maria M
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Amazing to see where the marble comes from! There is much to learn by taking the tour inside the mountain. Make sure to check to see if they are open before making the trip. It was more than interesting to understand how marble was mined back in the day of Michelangelo vs. how it is done today. Dangerous job back then.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

The Carrara Marble Quarries are the source from which Michelangelo obtained most of his marble and even worked himself in these quarries. You MUST see how this is done today and then learn how it was done in the 1500's. From here were obtained the marble for many masterpieces like the DAVID!! If you are into the Renaissance - this is the place to start your journey. Plus it is a much better stop between the Cinque Tierre Cities and Florence than Pisa.

Reviewed October 19, 2012

Wanted to let everyone know what a GREAT Tour we had to the Carrara Marble Quarries with Sara Paolini. We learned so much and she was so personable, knowledgable and fun... Carrara is an experience you shouldn't miss and make sure you tour with Sara from Cararra!

Martha and Doug