“Left early”

AC Hotel La Linea
Woodinville, Washington
“Left early”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2014

If you are going to his area to see the rock, spend a few bucks more, and stay In Gibralter....
Taxi to the border 5 bucks, border control, bus to the gate..... Would have been easier to stay inside Gibralter.
AC LaLinea in a dicey "poor" part of town (we didn't really see any nice part of LaLinea)
Most buildings abandoned or in disrepair, and streets littered.
The room was clean, but the bed was an uncomfortable double.....

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
ACLALINEA, General Manager at AC Hotel La Linea, responded to this review, May 26, 2014
Dear Mr. Guest::
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the AC Hotel La Linea.

You indicated in your response that your stay was unsatisfactory, but we undersand it was caused by the city conditions. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you may have experienced. We will consider your comments to improve our services.

direc.aclalinea@ac-hotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
  • Greek first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2014

I have read a few recent reviews for this hotel and I can only agree with the management's polite replies. This is a three star hotel in a small, relatively poor Spanish town.

I stayed for one night and paid about £50 for an extremely comfortable, modern room where everything worked - tons of hot water, high pressure shower and an amazing hairdryer which although no use to me would have been for my wife had she been there. Large comfortable bed and good aircon. I had a sea view and a balcony. The pool was empty of water but the Spanish aren't that keen on pools until about mid June so no surprise there.

All the staff were extremely polite and helpful to me.

I didn't stay for breakfast so can't comment on the food but I suspect they don't do a 'full English'. Why should they?

La Linea is not a tourist destination (yet) .It is a working town which relies heavily on Gibraltar for income and in many ways, it is quite charming. A previous reviewer remarked on the dog poo. There was some but not enough to spoil my stay. I had an extremely pleasant evening and would recommend the little side streets around the town centre where there are some fabulous and reasonable tapas bars and good atmosphere. The helpful staff at the hotel desk recommended I try the Yacht Club restaurant which I did. Good tip.

I would definitely be happy to return but would recommend to anyone wanting the luxuries to go up the road to Sotogrande and pay accordingly.

Room Tip: If you travel alone you will probably be given a single bed so if you want a bigger bed ask and if t...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Bossmatt
UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2014

My wife and I stayed here for a week. We found the hotel to be very clean and the reception staff were very helpful as well.

I am only giving this 3/5, because the breakfast was truthfully a very dismal affair. Bread, cakes and cereal. The only cooked food was scrambled egg, which was cold the day that I tried it. Also there was no tea available. In the rooms, there is a mini-bar with soft drinks in it, but there is no kettle, tea or coffee.

The location is not ideal, but the hotel will call you a taxi, which arrives in a few minutes and will take you to the Gibraltar frontier for about €5. From there you can either walk to Gibraltar or walk to the town centre. There is plenty of shopping in both locations.

The hotel will book a day trip to Morocco, visiting Tetuan and Tangier for €60 per person. You can get details at www.flandriabus.com or in any of the local hotels. Be warned, if you take this day trip, that you will be taken through a labyrinth market to a bazaar, which you are told is full of arts and crafts from the local area. In reality, you are deposited in a large shop, where you are presented with about 30 different carpets, which you are expected to purchase. There are two more floors. One with silverware and one with hand-crafted articles. Nothing is priced. You are expected to make an offer, which is then haggled over.
The whole time that you are walking in the alleyways, there are street vendors walking alongside you waving articles in your face and for me, really spoiling the trip. Before going to Morocco, make sure that you take plenty of €1 coins with you for beggars and purchases. As soon as they see a note, the price will increase.
I would say go on the trip, but be prepared to be forcefully sold something !
My review score is only for the hotel and not for the day trip.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
ACLALINEA, General Manager at AC Hotel La Linea, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
Dear Guest:

You indicated in your response that your stay was unsatisfactory. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you may have experienced. We, actually , are a 3 Star Urban Hotel and our services are driven to this sort of Hotels, we have a world of another posibilities in our chain ( Marriott) as Resorts and Vacations Club, where you would find another kind of breakfast services . Anyway we thanks your comments about our breakfast service, we will use them to try to improve it. All our apologizes for the inconveniences. We take great pride in ensuring our guest’s satisfaction. Unfortunately, we did not meet your—or our own—expectations. Our goal is to address your concerns so that we can ensure you have an exceptional experience on your next visit.

Alfonso Benitez
G.M.
Farnborough, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014

My wife and I stayed here on a 4 night holiday for Gibraltar. Pluses: Cheap, rooms clean, lots of hot water, 15 minute brisk walk to Gibraltar, domestic staff do a good job, and I was happy to tip them.

Minuses (many). Walk to Gibraltar littered with many dog droppings. Breakfast poor and boring (I had better meals in the Army) - help yourself, and apart from asking your room number - 'waitresses' non - existent - woe betide you try to ask them for something. My wife is diabetic, breakfasts heavy in sugar, and it was impossible to get, say, an egg breakfast. Lifts tiny, help non - existent. TV ok if you like Spanish, only BBC World News available. Tiny TV's from 1990's, same as room phones. (Felt like calling the Golden Shot!) Swimming pool was full of green sludge - and was not used. Local area has graffiti, a bit dodgy at night with all sorts of characters around; and the dog poo! Lots of dog poo. Local shopping centre looks like a refugee camp - still, we see lots of that in England nowadays! Overall, a cheap base for Gibraltar - clean, but little else! Still, you get what you pay for. Gibraltar is one of these places that most people will visit once, and once only. A great place to see, but if you do go, go the extra mile and pay for a hotel in GIb.

Room Tip: Stay in Gibraltar.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
ACLALINEA, General Manager at AC Hotel La Linea, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
Dear Guest:

You indicated in your response that your stay was unsatisfactory. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you may have experienced. We, actually , are a 3 star urban city Hotel in a small village, with an specific and basic service, very far , for instance, from a Resort or Vacation Club Hotels. ( we have a word of posibilities in our Hotels chain). Just inform you, our pool is actually closed, out of season, we are allowed to open it from June to September, and now, we are preparing and cleaning it.

Huddersfield, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2014 via mobile

Well as the taxi pulled into the street where the hotel is my husband and I looked at each other in horror....this area is like the Bronx. When inside the hotel is quite modern. We checked in and were told our room number but then totally ignored....any chance the staff could direct you to your room ? The room was nice and clean and had a view of the sea and the rock but also scruffy flats, graffiti and dog muck. The balcony doesn't have any chairs...not that you would want to sit out. The pool was closed when we were there but it's really scruffy and over looked by flats and locals washing lines !!!! The lifts are tiny and two people really struggle to fit in with luggage. Breakfast is a joke...the girl in the restaurant took our room number but again then ignored us ....We didn't know where to sit. Don't expect there ever to be coffee in the pot and never a full compliment of food. One day there was no cheese, the next no bread....No plates one day and red hot juice glasses. The hotel is not as close to the frontier as advertised although the taxis are cheap and reliable. We were however told by locals that the taxis aren't safe after dark....We didn't have any problems. We were also told the area is rife with pick pockets. My advice.....pay more and stay in Gibraltar .....it's fantastic !!!!!

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
ACLALINEA, Manager at AC Hotel La Linea, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Dear Guest,

You indicated in your response that your stay was unsatisfactory. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you may have experienced. We, actually , are a 3 star urban city Hotel in a small village, and, honestly, we think you received the service according to the value for what you have payed.All our apologizes for the inconveniences and thank you for your kind comments about the room. We take great pride in ensuring our guest’s satisfaction. Unfortunately, we did not meet your—or our own—expectations. Our goal is to address your concerns so that we can ensure you have an exceptional experience on your next visit.

You’re a valued customer; everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience. We would like to regain your trust and hope to serve you again in the future.

Stafford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2014

Four of us stayed at this hotel mid march for 3 nights. The pool was green, the lift was not big enough for 3 people,the bar was very poorly stocked and everything is very basic.
The breakfast was really basic, we had to ask for more bread for toast more coffee as the pot was empty, no hot water for tea & no milk, nothing had been refilled. The staff at reception were really helpful but bar & restaurant staff never spoke or even smiled:(
The surrounding area is very rough, no bars/eateries. Very run down & neglected.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
ACLALINEA, Manager at AC Hotel La Linea, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to complete our Guest Satisfaction Survey and sharing your experience with the AC Hotel La Linea.

You indicated in your response that your stay was unsatisfactory. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you may have experienced. We, actually , are a 3 star urban city Hotel in a village and we would like to inform you our Pool is actually closed, out of season, the green colour is caused by chemical products we use to maintain it. We are sorried because we haven't carried out your expectations in our Cafeteria and Breakfast services in spite of we are offering them from 07:00 to 10:30 hrs. in the morning and from 20:00 to 22:30 hrs in the evening. All our apologizes for the inconveniences. We take great pride in ensuring our guest’s satisfaction. Unfortunately, we did not meet your—or our own—expectations. Our goal is to address your concerns so that we can ensure you have an exceptional experience on your next visit.

London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2014

I have been staying in this hotel for more than 14 years as a cheaper alternative to staying in Gib and had some really great stays there, but not this time.

To be fair the room was only 49,50 euros room only which is the lowest I've ever paid to stay there. In return I got to experience the rooms that back on to town "city view" as there described on the booking website, and there horrid. Well my one was, to begin with when I opened the door there were a dozen flies and a convenient well read copy of cosmo to set about killing them with. The TV was stuck in a corner where you couldn't see it from the beds. It was also the oldest TV I've seen in hotel room in a long time. The remote was dirty. The bath room was a fair size but everything about it was warn, the bath cracking at the bottom. No more free toothbrushes and toothpaste though they have retained the golf ball soap that slips out of your hand when you use it.

Then in the middle of the night I was reminded of my previous stays as the walls are so thin I could hear the people in the next room thinking in between every thing else he was doing.

Looking out the bedroom window there was the hotel swimming pool which had green mold growing on top of the water and around, clearly never been used for a year or two,

No more free fruit in the corridor or drinks (may be coffee as I saw the machine) downstairs either.

With the newer hotel down the road near to Gib the AC has lost its way. Even the reception staff appeared to have given up. Not surprising its currently a very poor man's Travellodge.

Room Tip: Go for the front rooms, there bigger and have a sea view.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Jon P
ACLALINEA, General Manager at AC Hotel La Linea, responded to this review, March 27, 2014

You indicated in your response that your stay was unsatisfactory. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you may have experienced. As you know, we, actually , are a 3 star urban city Hotel in a village and the cheaper option in the area. This doesn't mean we should care our service to guest like you, cause this, let me clarify some misleading information about our services: since 2008 we don´t offer fruits and soft drinks in the corridors, intstead of this, we offer a free coffe-shop service in our lounge ( coffe, tea, soft drinks, cakes etc). Since 2011( since we belog to Marriott International) we don't offer toothbrushes and toothpaste, we sale them in our Market Service. Our pool is actually closed, (out of season) we are allowed to be open from June to September, the green aspect of the water is caused by the chemical products we apply in order to maintain during the winter season. But what I regret most: we could have informed you at desk about the new services even have changed to a room with a view of the bay and without the problems your sufferred during your stay. I look forward to a new reservation and show you we keep our essence of AC service. All our apologizes for the inconveniences. We take great pride in ensuring our guest’s satisfaction. Unfortunately, we did not meet your—or our own—expectations. Our goal is to address your concerns so that we can ensure you have an exceptional experience on your next visit.

Also consider these accommodations in or near La Linea de la Concepcion
Rock Hotel Gibraltar
#2 of 6 in Gibraltar
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,800 reviews
Holiday Inn Express Campo de Gibraltar - Barrios

Been to AC Hotel La Linea? Share your experiences!