“Free mini bar, great staff, and comfortable clean rooms”
Review of AC Hotel La Linea

AC Hotel La Linea
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I found this hotel was a good way to visit Gibratar while at the same time saving yourself a couple of bucks. The walk to the border is a little long (especially with a pregnant wife) but the staff is excellant and the room's minibar is free which is quite nice. The pool is small but you are only a block away from the beach. The air conditioning didn't work very well in the room but that seems to be the norm versus the exception in Spain as many 4 and five star hotels we stayed in had the same problems. Very clean and the design and layout of the rooms is very elegant yet simple. For the price you can't really beat it and it isn't that far from the sites.

Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 11, 2012

Great hotel, only 15 minutes walk from the Gibraltar border. Rooms with balconies and windows overlooking the bay and Mount Gibraltar.
Building an earlier date, perhaps that is why officially has a 3 *, but it is well renovated and in my opinion deserves to 4th star.
All equipment, except CRT TV, comes with our age. Beds are comfortable and you got minibar (water + softdrinks) for free.
By reception is located AC Lounge with free wifi and a desktop computer if you do not have your own. I saw a swimming pool and a gym but have not time to use them.
Note the helpful staff and the manager who quickly solved
my problem with payment. Of course reasonable price for Marriott standard stay is also worth to notice.
For sure we will go back there.

Room Tip: my 326 was excellent(view like mentioned above)
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 8, 2012 via mobile

The room was good and the location great for Gibraltar.
Dinner,alas was not.
My wife ordered å starter and å main course. I ordered å main course.
My main arrived with my wife's starter. My wife's starter after I had finished my main course.
When I pointed out that this was unacceptable the waitress implied it was our fault because my wife ordered å starter.
So If you have dinner order each course seperately or eat somewhere else.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed September 13, 2012

I booked the AC as a change to my usual stay in the Asur based on Photo's on the web. Nothing really shinned out in my stay, some staff were helpful some not bordering on rude. My first impression of the room was that it smelt of stale cigarettes as did the whole of floor getting out of he lift, even though I had asked for a no smoking room. The room was a lot smaller than the Asur, however the bed was comfortable and the bathroom excellent.

One other thing I did not like was the location of the hotel, it was a long walk from any form of night life and in quiet a rough looking area.

All in all ok for the money, but I would only stay again I the Asur was full or declines

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Jonny1mac
Reviewed September 6, 2012

We booked the hotel for two nights (no refund) for €120 including breakfast. We ended up only staying one night since we didn't know we would see all of Gibraltar in one full day. The hotel itself looked sketchy on the outside, but inside was very nice! Our room was 409 and it was an okay room. It had two twin mattress pushed together and it was very uncomfortable as they were separating every time we moved. The 'minibar' consisted of two drinks and a water which was nice because they were free. As far as the coolness in the room, I give it a big 0 out of 5 stars. I was uncomfortable the whole night because it was so hot! We had ours at the highest setting and since the vents were at a weird location (above the door and near the seating/minibar/tv area) we could not feel the breeze. Opening the window was suppose to be plan B, but they didn't have screens on the window. Breakfast on the other hand was good! They had a really good buffet style selection, not your typical American style breakfast with bacon and eggs instead its an assortment of hams, cheese, bread, cereal and yogurt. As far as location, it is literally five minutes away from Gibraltar border and instead of taking the taxi or walking like others suggested we took the risk of taking our car. Getting there took a little longer since we decided to go in the afternoon, but after passing the border everything was straight on through.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 28, 2012

A pleasant, modern hotel in a residential district approximately 5 minutes by taxi (€5) from the Gibraltar border. There are no great views as although the beach is about 200m away (but not visited by us so) the hotel is not oriented in that direction and it is surrounded by residential buildings. The hotel looks recently refurbished and was non-smoking throughout (unlike hotels over the border). The welcome was pleasant and all the reception staff we encountered spoke English (my Spanish is non-existent I'm afraid). Our room was not large, but big enough and well appointed. A nice touch was the complimentary water and soft drinks in the minibar. The breakfast buffet was varied and well stocked. We also ate in the hotel's restaurant on our first evening. Not an extensive menu, but there was enough variety, the prices were reasonable and the food and service were excellent. There's free wifi and during the day complimentary coffee and soft drinks in the lounge. We were glad we chose this hotel over the alternatives in Gibraltar. Thoroughly recommended.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bassbirder
Reviewed August 15, 2012

We stayed there for one night in order to visit Gibraltar before flying from Gibraltar to London the next day. We used two rooms as we were a family of five. The hotel staff was very good and the rooms were average. They were clean and the bedding was good. You are not going to find five star hotels in the area but at least it is part of the Marriott chain so you know they have decent standards. Also, as with all the AC hotels, the drinks in the mini bar are free. We dropped our rental car in Gibraltar and, after touring "the rock" walked back to the hotel in the evening. It is about a 20 minute walk from the border. Since we had luggage, the next day they called a couple of taxis for us and it was between 4-5 Euros for a ride to the border. You literally walk with your luggage thought the border after a token check of your passports and the terminal is just steps away. Very convenient. If you rent a car and are returning it to Gibraltar, I strongly suggest doing as we did and drop it the day before. It was a Sunday and it was easy to cross with the car, howver, the next morning when we were heading to the airport, Monday morning, the lines were very long to drive into Gibraltar. The neighborhood around the hotel is nothing great, however, you are just a 2 minute walk from the shore of the bay and it is a great place to take a walk in the evening as there are lots of people out with their families doing the same thing and fishermen trying to catch fish. You can see Morroco from there as well as Gibraltar and there was a great breeze.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
#2 of 6 in Gibraltar
Caleta Hotel
Caleta Hotel
#3 of 6 in Gibraltar

Been to AC Hotel La Linea? Share your experiences!