“good location with own parking”
Review of Hostal Paris

Hostal Paris
Helsinki
“good location with own parking”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Good location with own parking places in the basement garage ( 8 Eu/day). In the center, lots of cafes, restaurants nearby. Room is basic but clean and big with good aircon. Comfortable beds.Bathroom (in room) is clean but worn out (mould on tiles). Asked for silent room, which was really silent but do not expect a view. Stuff was really nice and helpful.
Address in booking.com is not correct, GPS did not find it so it was difficult to find the hostel. (otherwise easy) Correct address: Calle Del Sol 58

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Polish first
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I assume if you are looking at places in La Linea, it's because you going to Gibralter. I recommend paying a bit more to just stay in Gibralter. I felt unsafe walking through the bombed out looking town. Everywhere I went, I felt like I just walked in on an argument. Also, walking back in the dark alone across the border past blocks of closed shops covered in graffiti with men hanging out in the shadows was... uncomfortable. The location of this hostel is actually very good. It was only about 5 dog-poop covered blocks from the bus station and about one to the main drag where you could find restaurants and shops. However, if you walk the other way, it looks like the old housing projects in Chicago.

The staff seemed to speak only Spanish, but it is Spain! They all seemed very nice, but my interactions were limited to checking in and asking where to buy a Coke. Everything was very clean and I was happy to find a sink in my room. There was one toilet room and a shower/toilet room for the floor of 15 rooms- not sure if any of them had their own toilet/shower in them. I never had competition for the bathrooms, but the shower was a small, uncomfortable one with a hand-held fixture that never seemed to get a regular temperature.

My bed was very comfortable, but I had the room right next to the sign that flashed all night. It made me feel like I was in a movie set in a SRO in NY in the 70's. Outside they were partying to all hours, but when I tried talking to my mom who is 9 hours behind at 2am, I found out that the walls were paper thin. My neighbor apparently went to bed very early for being in Spain and screamed at me. This meant that after 3 weeks in hostels sleeping with other people, my luxury of having a room to myself was somewhat diminished due to a sound curfew of 11pm.

I must add that the internet speed was fast and helped make up for some of the downsides.

Also, I remember seeing comments somewhere about the exterior window shades- there is a separate pull to open and close them. They have these all over Spain. If you can't figure it out, just ask. Like I said, the staff is nice and if you say, "Necesito ayuda con la ventana" I'm sure they will help you out.

Room Tip: If noise bothers you, ask for a room off the street and away from the bathrooms.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank gettingworldly
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 11, 2013

I stayed for 12 Nights in a single room with own bathroom. The room was approx. £24 a night, so good value for money, I was visiting Gibraltar but La Linea is better value for money for a place to stay. The hotel does not have a restaurant, so does not provide any food or breakfast, however this is only a minor inconvenience and the location of the hotel is great for bars and restaurants nearby.

The reception staff do not speak much English, however despite my lack of Spanish checking in proved to be almost no problem at all. It could be a problem if you need anything or assistance during your stay though.

My room was quite large, but didn't have a window looking to the outside as such, it had a peculiar inside window which looks on to some sort of patio area, and hence their is a blind shut across it. The room was a bit dark due to this fact and had I been in the room much this could of been annoying having to have the lights on all the time.

I wasn't in the hotel or room much so it was perfectly adequate for my needs and a good budget hotel for the price. My only real criticism is that on a couple of occasions I had a shower around 9am and could not get any hot water at all, which really is not acceptable. So my advice would be have a shower before 8.45am to guarantee getting hot water which I did every other day.

I should also mention that there was a lot of noise in the evenings within the hotel which I couldn't really understand why, fortunately I slept well regardless during my stay so it wasn't so much of a concern. The lock on the room door was a bit finicky as well

There is also free wifi which is good

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Andrew C
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

Whilst visiting Gibraltar to opt in to the cheaper option of staying in la linea . We spent 4 sleepless nights in creaky beds, with what seemed to be a constant rave going on downstairs. If I wanted this I would have visited Magaluf. The tv somewhat of a 1960s model, and the hygiene or should I say lack of hygiene of maids was apparent throughout corridors . Other than this it was basic hostel with no other flaws

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank wiresandwaves

Travelers are raving about these La Linea de la Concepcion hotels

london
Reviewed April 5, 2013

10 minute walk from Gibraltar the Hostal is cheap and clean, the guys running it are helpful and their English is better than my Spanish. Not much to see or do in La Linea itself but you are within walking distance of some decent bars, shops, tapas.

Only downside is that the walls are quite thin and the shower was a tight squeeze but wasn't a massive problem.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank toboboly
tunbridge wells
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Good position, reasonable price, friendly staff. we had two bicycles, kept in the garage, paid E33 for a twin room. It was ideal for us. We were cycling from Gibraltar to Toledo. We ate near the hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank mmmmartin
Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

In the center of La Linea, this hostal has a stategic position if you like tapas bar and nightclub.
It is impossibile to sleep until late night due to this movida and there are free public car parking but it is not easy to find during tapas time.
Essential forniture, my no smoking room smell bad.
Anyway, La Linea is a cheap solution to sleep and visit Gibilterra.
This hotel is near to the frontier, 8 minutes walk, but the Gibilterra sightseeing are not close.
It is a good solution for one night only.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
#1 of 6 in Gibraltar
Caleta Hotel
Caleta Hotel
#3 of 6 in Gibraltar

Been to Hostal Paris? Share your experiences!