“Bad and good. Really 2 and a half”

Chiringuito La Luna
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

If you want scenery the La Luna is a place. Overlooking Gibraltar and the harbour.

If you want good service it is ok. Although, and I don’t usually say this, you would think that being literally steps away from a British protectorate the waiters would be a little more fluent in English.

To the food. I had the entrecôte which was cooked perfectly, but was not the best cut of steak I’ve ever had. I think it was rib eye, but tough like blade. A good portion and reasonably priced at 16 Euro. Fries were good.

My wife however, had the lamb chops. There was lots of stuff that looked like meat, but it was almost entirely fat. We have lamb all the time, but this looked like the chef had eaten all the good parts and left the fat for the customer-really. She complained and was offered another meal but by then it was too late. We were not comped the meal but were given 4 limoncellos and 4 little ice cream bars.

Another person in our party had the swordfish. She enjoyed it (and she is a rather particular eater).

Last was the pork tenderloin which was also given good marks.

The Sangria was one if the better ones we had, but was only available as a liter, which was problematic because everyone except me had had enough sangria on this trip, and wanted other beverages.

Lastly the Caesar salad. It was not a caesar salad that we in North America would recognize, but it was huge and tasty. Iceberg lettuce with cherry tomatoes, raisins olives, croutons and I think a ranch dressing. One serving could serve 3-4 as an appetizer.

Oh, and they just bring bread(which was fresh and included butter!) but they add 1 Euro per person to the bill. It wasn’t that good.

Dinner for 4 was 105 Euro.

Date of visit: September 2019
Write a reviewReviews (90)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Visited with a large group - food was nice enough slightly pricer than further in the town but paying for the sunset views. Staff were friendly and we managed to get everything we ordered even though our Spanish was limited to ordering tinto

Date of visit: August 2019
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I stayed at La Linea and found this place to be a perfect place to drink and dine, the food was excellent and the service was first class, I visited three times (twice with friends ) and the service and quality of food and drink was of a very high standard.
The waiters even tolereated my terrible Spanish.

Date of visit: September 2019
Reviewed August 4, 2019 via mobile

La Luna is a smart chiringuito which benefits from good views and a nice sea breeze.
The food itself is fine but no more than that.
Unfortunately, the service really does let the place down. All of the staff come over as uninterested, look miserable and just want to take your order and plonk your food down. So the mains turned up whilst we were eating our boquerones starter, plates weren’t cleared away and there was no effort at communication, let alone a smile.
It’s not cheap to eat at La Luna so you guess right - although certainly not a terrible experience, we won’t be back.

Date of visit: August 2019
Reviewed July 27, 2019

Spent a week in La Linea and was here almost every day. Waiters are amazing with kids, wine is great, you get olives or nuts to snack on. Didn’t eat meals here really, mainly snacks, ice lollies and drinks while playing Uno. Had one meal and it was lovely, chicken and pasta were good, really big portions for kids and I had a salad. All very tasty. Definitely a great spot to visit.

Date of visit: July 2019