“Veggie Evening”

Cheerful Chilli
Ranked #23 of 79 Restaurants in Otley
Good for: Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The Cheerful Chilli Restaurant brings you freshly cooked, wholesome and flavoursome food from around the world. From our popular Mezze Platters to share to favourites such as Aubergine Involtini, Kerala Curry and enchiladas. We have private dining for parties up to 30 and our 4 course Sharing Menu is particularly popular on these occasions. All our deserts and ice creams are home made. Booking is advised. Our Tea Rooms offer a selection of lunches, savouries, deserts and delicious cakes.
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Having had a recommendation we thought that we would try this local vegetarian restaurant. We arrived with friends to find the restaurant almost full at 6.45pm. Our table was in the upstairs area that is very tastefully renovated. The service was good and the food choice extensive. All four of us enjoyed the food but I felt it lacked just a little something. The mixed starter was very varied but the haloumi was a bit tough, as if it may have been cooked for some time. Again my stuffed aubergene main course was very tasty but the aubergene seemed tougher than I would have expected. That said I am not an expert on vegetarian food.
We took a bottle pf wine and paid a small corkage charge but the restaurant does offer a drinks menu if you prefer. All four of us were tempted by the desert menu but agreed to avoid stuffing ourselves. The bill for 4 was less than £60 and I feel that this represents good value. We will go again and try other items off the menu. For big eaters there is a banquet offering that should fill even the hungriest stomachs.

2  Thank themasterleeds

Reviewed February 7, 2013

First went here about 2 years ago but was not very impressed. However we went again last week and were very pleasantly surprised. The food was so much better than last time and the portions very generous. The place is an old house and it has many rooms with 2 or 3 tables in each over several floors so the service is sometimes a bit slow but that did not bother us. The chairs could do with an upgrade which is why I am giving 4 rather than 5 stars. The great thing is though that you can bring your own alcohol which is absolutely brill.

3  Thank emmajong
Reviewed February 3, 2013

What a treat for a veggie to be able to choose anything on the menu rather than having the normal 'choice' of just one dish in a regular place. My companion's caramelised onion and goats cheese tart smelled wonderful and my hot chargrilled vegetable salad was light but tasty. We both opted for the aubergine involtini which was delicious. Both starters and mains came with a mound of salad. My companion had the ice cream which seemed to have a curiously soft texture but was declared tasty. It was great to be able to take our own wine with just a small charge for corkage. Sadly our bottle was too small (!) and we had to order a glass of the house wine, a perfectly good red. Service was a little on the slow side but we do not mind that...more acceptable than the 1 hr rush-through that we experienced the previous week in a high-end Leeds restaurant! The only small niggle was that the room was a little chilly. Next time will take a warm cardi!

1  Thank Allexie08
Reviewed December 11, 2012

This is one of the few restaurants which can offer an entirely vegetarian menu and be as popular with meat eaters as much as dedicated veggies. Located in a converted farmhouse and barn it stands on the edge of the beautiful Otley Chevin popular with walkers and offering stunning views of the Otley valley below. Inside the building is truly charactful with winding corridors and nooks offering discreet dining areas as well as some larger rooms. The restaurant also has a number of provuate rooms which can be hired for no additional cost for dinner parties. The staff are informal befitting the setting but extremely welcoming and friendly. There is a large menu ranginf from a fantastic mezze starter for two to share (£9) to lovely paprika potato skins. The main course choices are equally large and are about £9 each. Everything from a blue cheese burger to a variety of Mexican dishes . There is a sides menu and this- inlike most restaurants- is very reasonably priced. A bowl of guacamole was just £2 and the plate of olives was both generous and priced way below most restaurants. Mains are generous and the salads are nicely dressed. A speciality of the house if theior home made ice cream You can take your own alcohol for just £1 corkage or they have their own drinks for sale. It is advisable to book well in advance . The night we visited every seat was taken. It is possible to eat here during the day when it operates as a cafe but do check opening times. I would recommend this to anyone. It benefits from being in the country but in reality is just a mile or so away from the nearest town.

2  Thank LeedsCritic
Reviewed December 6, 2012

I was initially disappointed when I was told by my friends who had booked the restaurant that "the Chilli" is a "veggie" place. "Great!" I thought.....When I got in I was struck by the warm atmosphere and friendliness of the staff. The food was just great. We shared platters of home made, genuine fresh produce and I did not miss meat at all! The quantity and quality of what was brought to us was phenomenal and the desserts were yummy! This is a fantastic place if you want to have a good party or if you fancy something different but authentic in a rural setting. Not for you if you expect tiny portions of Michelin star food.