“Don't miss this gem in Otley”
Review of The Fleece

The Fleece
Ranked #61 of 76 Restaurants in Otley
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
“Don't miss this gem in Otley”
Reviewed September 26, 2013

I had heard good things from a lot of local people about The Fleece in Otley so my last Saturday lunchtime my girlfriend and I decided to see what the fuss was all about. As seen as we walked through the door we felt welcome. The dark wood interior and nice furniture gave it a lovely cosy atmosphere, even though it was already quite busy. I was impressed by the number of traditional hand pull beers that they had on offer, whilst my girlfriend was more than happy with the selection of wines they had. We were greeted by the landlord who was very friendly and showed us to a spare table and tool our drinks menu whilst we perused the food menu. The pint of Wharfebank bitter that I had was fantastic and my girlfriend liked her Shiraz. After being tempted by the mouth watering menu, and the plates of food that were going by to other tables, we both settled on the fish and chips and boy were we not disappointed! We waited a little while for food, but we were told that each portion was freshly prepared rather than waiting around. When the waitress bought the plates over, we were looking forward to tucking in! The portions were very generous, which i was happy with because I was already eyeing up my girlfriends plate as well as mine!
The batter was light and crispy and the fish itself had beautiful soft almost creamy flesh. The chips were some of the best we've ever had. Forget Heston, these were fantastic. Crispy yet soft n fluffy inside.
The staff were quick to get us tomato ketchup that we requested and a second drink without any bother. I managed to finish my plate but it was took much for my girlfriend. You certainly get what you pay for here! The plates were cleared away quickly after we finished, which I liked because I don't like plates lying around on the table.
Overall we really enjoyed The Fleece. The staff were attentive and polite, the food was great and while slightly more expensive than other places, as the old adage says, you do get what you pay for. The atmosphere was lovely and we'll definitely go again. Really recommend this place. Go!

Leeds, United Kingdom
“hidden gem”
Reviewed September 26, 2013

having eaten out in otley numerous times we only discovered the fleece recently so we thought we'd pop in and take a look. when we parked up we were amazed to see the garden running down to the river and only wished that the weather had been better so we could have sat outside. once inside i was drawn to the large selection of real beers (much to the annoyance of the wife!) and spent some time chatting to the fellow behind the bar who said he was the landlord and that most of their beers came from their own brewery. we settled down at a table overlooking the garden and ordered some lunch. helpfully the menu has a vegetarian section which made it easier for the wife to order. i had a steak sandwich and shirley had the spring greens risotto. both were excellent. all in all we had a great time and wish we'd tried the fleece sooner. we will be heading back there soon.

Otley, United Kingdom
“Good Food & A Great Location”
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Having visited The Fleece in Otley, on numerous occasions over the last few months, I felt it only fair to write a review to tell others about this great place. The location has been great during the summer months with the riverside garden and terrace menu, and now heading towards the autumn/winter months the location will be cosy with the open fires. To date I have not yet had a poor eating experience at The Fleece having eaten from the main menu, the Sunday menu and the terrace menu. The food is of a high standard and it is nice to have the fish specials on a Friday to add an extra choice. The staff are extremely welcoming, friendly & attentative...it is almost as they know what you want before you do. I look forward to trying the new menu whenit arrives!

Leeds, United Kingdom
“A plethora of Yorkshire beers and food to tantalise the tastebuds”
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I took an off chance on Tuesday last week to see if they had a table and lucky for me we could dine.

We shared a platter of breads to start nice selection and warmed, I then followed this up with the Confit of Lamb, the lamb was flavoursome and cooked to perfection, being moist. The broad beans unlike most places had been peeled - as if you were in a fine dinning restaurant not a pub.

The table behind us - seemed to be on a fish 'n Chip night out but I have never heard a group enthuse so much about the fish, definitely a candidate for a next visit.

Unlike most Pubs there s no need to go back and forth to the bar to order different courses or drinks as the staff are attentive, knowledgable and seem to appear from nowhere when your pint is about to expire. Our server Tom, was friendly, knowledgeable and appeared when needed. A true gem of Otley, worth the little extra, for the tantalising of the tastebuds

Heckmondwike, United Kingdom
“Low Quality expensive food”
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Wanted a quick lunch en route to the Dales and stopped at the Fleece.
My wife wanted a chicken baguette but the manager advised the chicken was
needed for ceasar salads later in the day.
So we ordered Rump Steak Baguette with chips and salad priced at £7.50
Steak was so thin it resembled steak Canadien, Salad was a handfull of lettuce and the
10 chips were hard. Our complains fell on deaf ears. The manager said sorry but offered no discount.
The Fleece is definately a place to avoid.