“1st Time In A Lodge - Lovely! Chilly Experience In Restaurant!”

Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Otley
Reviewed September 19, 2010

My boyfriend booked this hotel for one night as a surprise (how lucky am I???), I didn’t have a clue where we were going so it was a nice surprise when I turned up!

We parked up in the car park and headed to reception with our bags (don’t take your bags as you may need to drive to your lodge like we did!!). When we got to reception the girl said she was just covering for a few moments till the receptionist came back, this wasn’t an issue as the receptionist promptly returned to check us in. We were given a map and shown where our lodge was, we headed back to the car and headed to our lodge. It was only a few seconds away.

The car park was quite confusing as was a little like a roundabout, the exit signs could be more frequent as there were a few points where we weren’t sure if we were going the wrong way!!!

We were allocated lodge 56, it was lovely as the pictures show!! The room was very cold when we arrived but it soon warmed up when we cranked the thermostat up!!!! The room was well stocked with kettle and enough drinks and biccies which are always a bonus!! There was an ironing board and iron, although it wasn’t the best it was still an iron!!! There were some lovely country pics on the walls of greenery and sheep. The lodge smelt of wood as soon as we walked in so that was nice. The lodges would be even better if they were a little more looked after on the outside, there was a little trough with flowers in but they were dead, so some nice bright flowers would make it that little bit more special!! The bed was too small, it was a double but I always think king sizes should be standard in hotels, I felt like I was falling out of bed all night!! The water in the bathroom wasnt very hot either, the bath I had wasnt red hot but luke warm! Overall, my first stay in a lodge was lovely and I will do again!!

After we had unpacked we nipped out to find a supermarket – TIP: Go to the Sainsburys as Otley, don’t head towards Leeds as you won’t find anything for ages!!!

When we returned we headed to the swimming pool for a dip, sauna and steam – the pool was pretty quiet, by the time we left there were only the two of us in there, well three if you include the guy washing the tiles down! One let down was that the Jacuzzi was on its “cleaning cycle” which meant we couldn’t use it, this was a let down, and surely it should be on cleaning cycle when the pool is closed??? Also, what appeared to be an outdoor Jacuzzi had tape round it and was covered so was also not available for use. The changing rooms were very clean, although I couldn’t get any of the lockers to work so had to leave my bag in the changing area (don’t take any valuables!). Towels are provided for your use.

In the evening we headed into the hotel. There was a wedding reception (albeit it a small one) taking place, we had a quick look in the room and it was set out very nice.

We went to the bar and had a few drinks, we added them to the bar tab as easier for us to just pay on check out. The staff at the bar were not the best, the first visit we had to wait about 5 mins for someone to return. This happened again when we went back for another drink. The bar wasn’t very busy but surely a member of staff should be visible at all times??

After the bar we headed to the restaurant. I was a shocked at how cold it was, I began shivering as soon as I walked in, not the best temperatures for eating an expensive meal! We were shown to our table and given a menu. My boyfriend had pre paid for the evening meal, we were shown the set menu – I could have cried. When my boyfriend rung to book he asked for a menu to be emailed to him, he was told it would be emailed – he never received a menu. Had he have received a menu he would of realised that the set menu wasn’t to suit us. There wasn’t one thing on the menu that I really liked. The waitress kindly delivered some prawn on a Chinese spoon as compliments; I couldn’t eat this as I don’t eat fish / seafood so my boyfriend had both of them. I ended up having the duck for starter but gave it to my boyfriend as it was horrible (although he said it was nice!!). For the main course there wasn’t anything I liked so I had to order something from the Al La Carte menu, although anything you order from this is at a premium which is a real con. My boyfriend and I worked it out that had we ordered from the Al La Carte menu and got three courses of what we wanted it would have been cheaper than the price of the set menu which had nothing I liked on. Normally when you get the set menu it’s cheaper but in this case we were robbed. We expressed our disgust to the waitress who said she was sorry and that they had told the bosses in the past has had complaints before but no one listened. She said she would “do something with the bill” for us, but on our checkout we realised she had also conned us by not making any changes. The main and dessert I chose from the normal menu was lovely so cannot fault these, it was just a con that I had to pay extra when we had already paid £29+ for the set menu. I left the restaurant still freezing.

Overall our stay at the hotel was very pleasant, I imagine it would make a lovely venue for a wedding as the surrounding areas are beautiful.

The location of the hotel is good, only 1 mile from Leeds Bradford airport.

I always leave honest reviews on TA so have done the same with this one too.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
chevingm, Manager at Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2010

Thank you for taking time to write this review,

I am sorry to hear that on the choice menu there wasn't anything to your liking, this menu does change daily and has a selection of starters, mains, and desserts.

I am happy to read that your boyfriend did like the duck as it is one of our most popular starters and you did enjoy your main course and dessert, our Lakeside Restaurant which has a wonderful lake view is fully heated and i am sorry it was under temperature on this occasion be assured this is not a regular accurance and i am sorry it has happened on this occasion.

Thank you once again for your honest review.

Management and Team

There are newer reviews for Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa

Reviewed September 16, 2010

I stayed at the hotel with my wife and parents for three nights this week. We had secured an exceptional rate through Easybreaks, and enjoyed astonishing value for money. Our budget rooms were quite small, but clean and comfortable with views out over the lake. My parents had a faulty light, but this was repaired within minutes of being reported. The massive plus for us though was the food. The restaurant itself is lovely, the staff were all without exception extremely helpful and friendly (particularly the blond Polish girl), and the food was absolutely gorgeous. The menus were beautifully balanced, and the chef deserves our highest praise. My Father has a gluten allergy, but the staff were on top of this for our whole stay, remembering him and advising him what he could and couldn't have. The hotel is obviously a little isolated up in the forest, but still remained a lovely base to explore the surrounding areas - we visited Harrogate, Skipton and Ripon as well as a memorable afternoon at Harewood House which is a must-see. All in all we had a lovely time at a unique hotel, and would love to return there one day.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
chevingm, Manager at Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2010

Many thanks for kind review of the hotel, we are glad you enjoyed your time here especially the service and the staff.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Management and Team

Reviewed August 25, 2010

Stayed for a nice wedding. reasonable function facilities.
Room 10 was below average, exposed nails, tiny bathroom. faulty lights, cramped conditions, poorly finished panelling.
Room 12 smelled of sweaty socks.
I wasn't impressed and certainly wouldn't stay at one of the room inside the main hotel again.
Oh and only 2 tea bags provided. :-(
Having said that the outside lodges with eco-roofs look good.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
chevingm, Manager at Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2010

Many thanks for your recent review, I am sorry that on this occasion you were disappointed by the standard of accommodation offered at the hotel, aswell as that type of room we also have superior doubles and suites.

I'm very please you liked our surroundings especially our fully refurbished log cabins, they all have eco-friendly roofs as you mentioned and they range from standard rooms to self catering lodges which are always popular with returning guests looking for a few relaxing days away.

We always specify to our guests that if there’s anything we can do to help we will do to the best of our abilities and only a phone call away, this is certainly the case for any extra replenishments within the rooms.

Kind regards

Management and team

Reviewed August 25, 2010

I wanted a spa break with my wife to celebrate 15th wedding anniversay and needless to say wanted something special.
Unfortunately this hotel is not for the quiet romantic getaway.
It's main function is as a wedding venue and business looks good in that respect. We had to wait till 3pm to check in as our room was not available, by hotel standards this is quite late given we wanted to use spa etc..
The style is log cabin and is really quite dated. There has been some attempt to update or redecorate but the exterior aspect of the buildings and grounds need some work.

Despite staying in the Bishopdale suite (an upgrade, with lounge) no in room fridge, safe etc. This room was situated some distance from main buidling and true to form a wedding reception was booked for the saturday and sunday. Noise is a big feature and we could hear the thumping disco and other guests late into the night and ealry hours.

Service was average, food reasonable but we had a table with a wonky leg and asked three times for it to be sorted and then gave up. Fortunately the Spa and fitness centre has been rebuilt which saved our weekend. Spa treatment was good by the only member of staff who seemed to have to do everything on her own.

Surrounding Chevin park was great and Otely village very nice.

1  Thank ironman16

Many thanks for taking the time to review the hotel and I am sorry that some aspects of your stay were slighly dissappointing.

The hotel is very busy all year round and successfully caters for many types of business including weddings. The staffing and service offered in all areas should be unaffected by the amount of business as it is our aim to offer superior service at all times to all guests.

I hope the upgraded room you recieved was slightly more pleasent, aswell as that suite we do have a range of newly refurbished self catering lodges which have facilities such as fridge/freezer, cooker and dish washers.

Kind regards

Management and team

Reviewed August 13, 2010

We returned to Chevin to celebrate our first anniversary, this time staying in the Dales suite (we had stayed in the Wharfedale suite on our wedding night – see earlier review).

The room was fantastic! It has recently been refurbished so is still very clean and tidy and nicely decorated. It’s fairly large with a separate lounge area, flat screen tv and very comfortable bed. The best part though is the hot tub outside on the decking! It was brilliant sat in the hot tub in the evening, enjoying a glass of wine in the woods!

We had an evening meal in the Lakeside restaurant while we were there. The food was lovely and well cooked - and at £30 per person for 3 courses is good value considering the quality (I would highly recommend the beef and the goats cheese and hazelnut soufflé). The breakfast the following morning was also good with plenty of choice.

We got a very good deal on the room as we held our reception there, only paying £80, which I think is at least half of the usual price. It can be an expensive hotel, however, I think this is definitely a hotel where you get what you pay for. Book a budget room and that is what you’ll get.

We had a look in the leisure centre while we were there. They are currently extending it and the new gym area and refreshed pool area look great – much improved. We also walked around the surrounding woods and watched the planes takes off at Leeds Bradford airport.

Since we started looking at this hotel almost 3 years ago for our wedding it has come a long way. The guestrooms and function suite are much more modern since being refurbished, the restaurant is great and the staff are friendly and helpful. I love this place; it not only holds special memories of our wedding, but it is turning into a great hotel. There just seem to be a few niggles in some rooms that they need to resolve to make it excellent.
I would recommend it for a lovely, relaxing stay in the countryside.

1  Thank little_m0nkey
chevingm, General Manager at Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2010

Many thanks for you generous review of the hotel, we are all so glad you enjoyed your return visit to the hotel and that once again you enjoyed all there is to offer at the Chevin.

We do hope to welcome you back time and again in the future.

Enda and Team

Reviewed August 12, 2010

We booked a night away from the children and wanted somewhere not a million miles away. I was a little concerned as the hotel seemed tohave mixed reviews but thought we would give it a try anyway! We are so glad we did! The setting is tranquil and the room was lovely. The food was exceptional and all the staff were friendly and helpful. The breakfast was lovely and all in all we really would recommend this to anyone wanting a getaway from it all in a lovely setting. Easy to get to and parking outside your log cabin! Perfect!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple

Many thanks for your kind review, your comments are most welcome and at the hotel we are all glad that you had a great relaxing experience.

Enda and team

Reviewed August 9, 2010

The Chevin Country Park Hotel looks a beautiful hotel located in the gorgeous surrondings of the Yorkshire countryside. Whilst the location is beautiful the hotel was not!! The room we were staying in was far below standard that what we were expecting. At a £125.00 a night stay our room did not have a working shower (the thermostate was broken) therefore you were either blessed with a scolding hot shower or a freezing cold shower especially not ideal for a 3 year old!! Also if you wanted hot water there was a 20 minute wait whilst the system decided to heat up. However the hotel does have several lakes surronding it might be worth washing in one of those!!!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank Maz8419
chevingm, General Manager at Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2010

Many thanks for you recent review, I am sorry that on this ocassion you were dissappointed by the standard of accommodation offered at the hotel.

We have many different room types and to date our refurbishment program has incorporated many of these and I am confident that had you mentioned you dissappointment to a member of the reception team they would have been pleased to offer you an alternative.

Regards

Enda Rylands

Also consider these accommodations in or near Otley
Hollins Hall Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Britannia Leeds Bradford Airport
Rudding Park Hotel
Rudding Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Follifoot

Been to Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!