“small room but big on service and food quality”

Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Otley
Reviewed March 4, 2009

We booked a winter break for 69 for 2 nights half board and it really it what it says on the tin !!--we had a double room that should have been a single-no bedside cabinets at all and really bright spot lights above the bed that hurt your eyes. Not much other lighting in the room beside those so I couldn't see in the mirror as my body blocked out the spot lights from behind.There ws rubbish and a half bottle of water left from the previous occupiers-as though the cleaners finished half way through doing the room.
HOWEVER the service and friendliness put all that to the back of our minds and the food was out of this world for what we had paid. It really was award winning food that melted in your mouth-and such an imaginative menu.
We would definately book again but wouldn't want a standard room-I would be happy to pay the £20 upgrade to get an executive room. It was unfortunate that there were weddings on both nights so the hotel was full so we couldn't upgrade but the staff were very helpful about it.
Wonderful scenery from bedroom window overlooking the lake and the Spa made it a welcome leisure stay.
If you are reading this then the answer is YES you must go there but avoid room 14

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
chevingm, General Manager at Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2009

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel here on Tripadvisor, we do take pride in our work and constantly seek feedback for suggested ways of improvement.

Some of the smaller rooms in the hotel are cosy and petite and we include these in our very best value packages and as you suggest it is always worth enquiring about upgrades available which still represent excellent value for money.

Many thanks for your kind comments regarding the staff and food served, these are very much appreciated and will be passed along.

We do look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,916)

Reviewed March 1, 2009

We previousley sayed at this hotel early 2008 and on this, our second visit have seen a significant improvmnet and investment to the hotel. The bar and restaurant area has been extended and a new disabled access frontage has been added to the main building. We have stayed in both the lodges and main building and our personal preferance is that the in house rooms are more cosy and homely. We agree with other comments made on the site that the lodges are ready for an up-grade (and some sound proofing). As soon as you step into the corridors in the main building you can smell the real fire burning, and as you approach the reception you can see the fire in all its warmth. The staff at reception are welcoming and helpful and this was the case with other staff we came into contact with in the bar and restaurant. The room we stayed in (room 15) was clean, cosy and tidy (albeit compact!). The chair under the dressing table would not pull out enough that you could sit behind it as it wedged against the bed. But this was only a minor iritation. The leisure club was ok but is in need of updating and cleaning. (i believe this is to be inclued in the schedule of on-going works). I am normally an avid swimmer but the murky green colour in the pool put me off. The spa too was in need of a clean but was usable. Maybe the leisure club could shut down for a week each year off peak for an annual clean? The restaurant was very nice and has improved since our last visit. The food was well presented and tasty and our only minor complaint was the lack of a chicken dish on the menu on the first evening. The waiting staff were polite and efficent and we did not feel rushed in anyway Breakfast was very nice with a good selection too. On the whole I would recommend this hotel and those negatives mentioned really are only minor iritations and would not put us off returning in the future.

1  Thank cessna177

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, I am gald that you enjoyed your visit to the hotel and in particular the welcome of the staff and the quality of food served.

Some of the guest rooms are cosy and these will always represent the very best value rates available at the hotel, we do have executive rooms and suites available so it is always worth enquiring about the upgrades available.

We will revisit cleaning schedules for the leisure club to ensure that standards are maintained throughout.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the staff and standard of food and we look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed February 28, 2009

We have just returned from 4 relaxing days at this hotel. The staff were very friendly and helpful.Food and accomodation were excellent. What a lovely setting this hotel is in.We happily recommend this hotel to our friends. ISKH Cleveland

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post this review, your kind comments are most welcome and we will continue to offer our brand of customer service to all guests who visit the hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed February 23, 2009

We were staying for two nights in an outside lodge but unfortunately it was on the side of the family lodge but was very nice ,so we requested to be moved due to wanting quiet break and the management were fantastic and we were moved to an inside room even thought the hotel was busy due to a wedding they moved things around.The room was a little small compared to the outside one but was clean and cosy .Noise from the corridor could be heard but not a problem.We ate at the restaurant on our first night and it was an absolute delight with fantastic scollops and beautiful venison plus great service and surroundings.The breakfast was really fresh with lots of choice and plentiful,all in all a fantastic weekend perfectly relaxing with great surroundings and great staff which made the stay even better .highly recommend and would do it all again in a heart beat...

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
chevingm, General Manager at Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2009

Many thanks for your recent review, I am gald you enjoyed your visit to the hotel and I am sure the team will appreciate to comments made regarding their efforts.

The food has received many plaudits recently and we will ad yours to that growing list. I have to agree that the views from the restaurant are stunning and make for a perfect backdrop to any romantic break.

Thank you once again.

Reviewed February 22, 2009

I stayed at this hotel for a couple of nights, and it was generally great - the rooms were clean and well equipped, the service was friendly and efficient, and the free wi-fi was really useful. The building is wonderful too - solid wood with a great cosy fire in reception.

The first night I ate in the bar, and ordered fish and 'real' chips. The fish was sublime, perfectly cooked with light and crispy batter. The side salad was good too, but the chips just let the whole thing down. There were only 7 of them for a start - 7 chips. 1 2 3 4 5 6 7. That isn't a portion, is it? The also had no crunch to them, and were slightly undercooked in the middle.

The next night I had the steak burger, which was also delicious but only came with 6 chips. This taught me to count my blessings!

Despite this one fairly trivial de-merit, I'd be happy to stay there again and would recommend it.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of the hotel, I am gald you enjoyed many aspects of your stay including the hospitality and comfort you experienced.

I am sorry that th portion size of Homemade Chips was not to your liking. We do try to offer larger, fresher, homemade proper chips as opposed to frozen alternatives and felt a suitable amount of 6-7 would be sufficient. We will review this and examine alternatives.

Once again thank your for the feedback and I hope to welcome you back to the Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa in the near future.

Reviewed February 18, 2009

Stayed for 2 nights in Feb.Reception effecient & friendly as were all the staff we met.Couldnt fault any of the staff whatsoever who work hard to make you welcome & enjoy your stay.Can recommend the Timothy Taylors Landlord bitter.The meals in the restaurant were well presented & very appetising.Breakfast was excellent with lots of choice.The room (we stayed in the hotel & not the lodges) was comfortable if a little small.The only negative side was that the heating system in the room was poor for the standard of accomadation.It was cold weather with snow outside.There was a radiator that didn't give out much heat & a stand alone convector heater which gave plenty of heat but not very pleasant.The room lighting was also poor.Couldn't even see inside the wardrobe & only one bedside lamp.& one bedside table(on the other side of the bed!)Apart from these little niggles we enjoyed our stay & had a very good rate @ £89/room Half board.We would not hesitate to return at these rates but would not pay the full normal tariff.Possibly try a lodge next time.

1  Thank Steele-2
chevingm, General Manager at Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2009

Many thanks for taking to time to review the hotel and highlighting the exceptional value that packages booked through the hotels own website have to offer.

I am sorry that the heating in your room was not as effective as it should have been. We have carried out some maintenance work in the last 10 days to improve the efficiency to to some of the system. Other areas are still being monitored and I assure you that where possible corrective measures will be put in place.

Once agin I am gald that you enjoyed many aspects of your stay and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Reviewed February 10, 2009

We have recently stayed here for my birthday and it was lovely. We stayed in one of the outside log cabins which was a little outdated (especially the bathroom), but perfectly adequate and cosy, as well as very clean. Outside the snow really set the scene and I wish I had brought my camera, it was gorgeous, especially knowing we were nice and warm inside! The spa pool and the swimming pool were very clean, relaxing and quiet, although we couldn't use the pool in the morning on the second day as there was a 'swimbabes' class. However this was great entertainment (I've never seen anything like it!) and we were perfectly happy to watch from the spa pool.

The food at the restaurant is amazing and very reasonably priced too. I had duck to start with, guinea fowl and sticky toffee pudding. Everything was perfectly cooked and I can't remember the last time I had such a lovely meal. It really made my 21st special and I can't wait to return!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit. It has to be said that the exceptional snowy weather during your visit added to the pictuesque setting making for the Winter Wonderland you described.

I am glad that you enjoyed to food and the cosy setting the hotel offers and look forward to welcoming you back.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Otley
Hollins Hall Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Premier Inn Leeds / Bradford Airport Hotel
Britannia Leeds Bradford Airport
Travelodge Leeds Bradford Airport
Weetwood Hall Hotel
Weetwood Hall Hotel
#33 of 87 in Leeds
Village Hotel Leeds North

Been to Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!