“Lovely time at Christmas”

Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Otley
Reviewed January 7, 2009

My girlfriend and I stayed over Christmas and has a lovely time. The food was excellent, as was the hand pulled beer (Timothy Taylor Landlord.) The refurbished areas were very smart and the log fire made reception very welcoming.

We were given a log cabin but there was a problem with the bathroom window which I reported to reception, asking if it could be fixed. The manager instead offered us a complementary drink while he sorted out a different room for us. This was above and beyond what we were expecting and we were doubly pleased to get a room in the main building, which was larger and probably an executive room! The hotel was well heated and there was plenty of hot water at all times.

The pool was fine but the changing area floor could have been cleaner. This was a bit off-putting but might have only been a problem at that particular time. I would also say that the original room could have done with an update to the bathroom, but I'm sure that once all the renovations are done this will be solved.

Overall an excellent stay, with good food, great location and friendly staff. I would go again especially at the discount rates that are sometimes available.

• Business service (e.g., internet access)
chevingm, General Manager at Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2009

I am glad you enjoyed your festive break with us here at Chevin Country Park Hotel and Spa, I have to agree that the atmosphere was excellent an all guests were out to enjoy themselves.

I have noted your comments regarding the lodge rooms and confirm that these are on our next phase for refurbishment.

Once again thank you for the review and we hope to see you soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,916)

Reviewed January 4, 2009

We arrived with friends for a two day New Years Eve package break with some trepidation following a number of the reviews on Tripadvisor.
We were pleasantly surprised by the super setting in the heart of the countryside amid trees and with a well stocked fishing lake.
If you like log cabins this is for you, as it is one gigantic log cabin. The rooms are similarly log cabin style and whilst we did have a problem or two (the radiator did not work and no hot water early on new years eve) the staff were quick to arrive and solve the problems. The seperate swimming pool and hot tub was a welcome addition to the facilities on offer but the best part was the food, we ate on both evenings and the food was as good as we have experienced in any hotel we have stayed.
To cap it all the view from our room on New Years morning over the frozen lake surrounded by totally frost covered trees was magical.

• Business service (e.g., internet access)

Thank you for tking the time to review the hotel.

I am glad the you enjoyed ringing in the New Year with us here at Chevin Country Park, the staff and I thoroughly enjoyed the atmosphere created by our guests.

i am sorry that the readiator in your room was not working on arrival and am glad the this was rectified by the staff on duty.

We do hope that you get the opportunity to visit again soon.

Reviewed January 3, 2009

Burning log fires in reception, tea room awaits you, the lodges are warm and cosy and are what you hope for nestled in between woodland. Food and restaurant are above the norm for hotels and staff are all very polite and professional. Anyone giving this hotel less than full marks has not travelled and had other experiences in other hotels.

• Stayed: January 2009
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Many thanks for taking the time to review the hotel, we do take on board all comments and suggestions.

Firstly let me say how happy I am that you enjoyed your visit to Chevin Country Park Hotel and Spa and that you had an enjoyable New Year.

I have noted your comments regarding the showers and can confirm that a program for replacing shower units to those rooms begins next week with a view to achieving the improvements suggested.

Once again we do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Chevin Country Park Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed January 3, 2009

We spent New Year at the hotel with a party of 20 or more adults and children.
Overall we considered it an excellent stay. Most of the areas have been recently refurbished with the consequence that there is a warm and comfortable combination of old and new.
There is plenty of space in which both adults and children can lose themselves, whether it is a lounge with a roaring fire, a snug where the children could get on the internet, a conservatory for pre-dinner drinks and of course the swimming pool for the kids whenever they were at a lose end.
With the Yorkshire Dales on the doorstep - there is also a great deal to do.
The food over the three days was excellent - on New Year's Eve we invited the chef out of the kitchen to thank her for the quality of the meal. Simple but with imaginative twists, using locally sourced meat and vegetables. The sweet potatoes laced with mint was a great accompaniment to lamb.
The staff were very friendly and attentive....I sat in the lounge for a while and was impressed with the frequency someone appeared to stoke the fire.
Some things were not quite right - the shower in our room (unrenovated and in need of redecoration) didn't work and a friend's bedroom was hopelessly over-heated.
And I think it is this last point that explains the widely varying reviews.
The hotel is under new management - and is part way through a major refurbishment. The public rooms are complete but they are only part way through improving the bedrooms and log cabins.
When you book, check whether they are putting you into a renovated room or not. If not, you will find the hotel is happy to negotiate a discounted price.
Suggestions for improvement - tidy up the approach to the hotel. Repairing the road and a bit of landscaping would improve first impressions. Most of the log walls look clean - but there are areas where they need smartening up.
Due to my work, I spend time in scores of hotels. So long as you establish whether you are in a renovated room/unrenovated room with a decent discount - then this is one I would definitely recommend. Proximity to the airport would make it a good choice for company meetings/training events.
In tribute to the quality of the hotel - I failed to spend any time in a traditional Yorkshire pub - because faced with a choice the guys preferred to head back to the hotel for a pint of Timothy Taylor in front of a blazing fire.

Gareth

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 2, 2009

we travelled up to Yorkshire from hertfordshire, not really knowing what to expect , having only seen the website pictures but what a lovely surprise, the log cabin we stayed in was beautiful, warm and cosy, which was lovely as the weather was dry but very cold. This added to the beauty of the forests in which the hotel is set and the cosy feel of the main hotel building with its log fires and sympathetic lighting. We took our dog with us and she loved every minute, from the runs in the woods to the more energetic walk nearby in the main country park, what lovely views as well, we met some lovely people from all over the country and the staff were all friendly and very helpful. The swimming pool and spa were very relaxing and I have saved the best till last, the food was amazing!! compliments to the chef, the beef on New Years eve was fantastic and the salmon on new years day was 5 star! ( they didn't even mind when we pinched a couple of sausages from the fantastic breakfast spread to take back for the dog!( Holly sends her best wishes and thanks!) Will definitely go again and hopefully will take my parents who would love it too! Would definitely recommend to anyone, thanks to everyone at the Chevin and Happy new Year!

Reviewed December 30, 2008

My wife and I booked a 3 night Xmas stay and were absolutely delighted by our experience!
The delightful setting........gourmet style food.......the friendly and helpful staff......all made it a Christmas to remember.
We overcame a major car problem on our day of departure with the generous help and assistance of virtually every staff member on duty....they were tremendous !!
We wiil be back in the summer .....looking forward to it already!
A Happy New Year to everyone at The Chevin.

• Check in / front desk

Just loved looking after you!

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the hotel we do appreciate all the feedback we receive and use this to identify areas for improvement.

We encourage the staff to visit this site to read reviews so they to know what guest are experienceing and I feel we are seeing the positive results from this.

Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed December 12, 2008

My wife and I stopped here in November and took advantage of the £89 dinner bed and breakfast offer. We had an enjoyable stay at this hotel 2 years ago so thought we would give it another try as we managed to get a babysitter for the night.
Wanting to get our monies worth we made full use of the pool/gym facilities. The pool was well heated and I particularly enjoyed the jacuzzi as it looked out onto the hotel grounds. Unfortunately the gym was small and shabby so hopefully the hotel will invest a bit of money in this area.
Our room was a charasmatic log cabin in the hotel grounds (each log cabin typically consisted of around 3 bedrooms). It was clean enough with a decent sized tv, and came with complimentary biscuits/coffees etc. The lighting in the room needs improving as my wife could barely see her hair in the mirror, but to keep in the good books I told her she looked better than ever when she got dressed for evening meal (even though she looked no different to every other day).
Thankfully these rooms will be getting soundproofed at some point in the future as we could hear every word and movement from the room next door. I guess this works both ways so no doubt they would have heard my snoring. Overall though we found our room to be more than adequate.
The hotel have spent money on the bar areas which seemed very impressive compared to the last time we came. If there was a niggle we found the drinks to be over priced (£6 for a large glass of wine and £3.15 a pint of beer), there were no hand pulled ales and the bar area lacked a tv screen). It may not be everyones cup of tea to need access to a tv but over a glass of wine I had the wife nattering on about how she plans to decorate our house over the coming weeks, but all I was concerned about was the latest football results and I had no way of knowing what they were.
The quality of the evening meal was absolutely superb and I would rate the quality of the evening meals in this hotel as one of the best around. The hotel really need to sort out the waiting staff however, as I had to request a menu on 2 occasions and after 20 minutes no one had taken my drinks order. This has also been mentioned by other reviewers so hopefully the hotel can act on this for the benefit of future diners.
If there is a dinner bed and breakfast offer next year we will definately be returning to the Chevin Country Park Hotel. It is currently a nice place to stay and with the planned expenditure and with some minor improvements there's no reason why this place can't be excellent.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
chevingm, General Manager at Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2008

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, we do welcome all feedback and address any issues where possible.

I am glad that you appreciated to comfortable acommodation offered and that you felt welcome in the public areas.

We have just this week installed a new TV system to the entire site that provides digital TV to new flat screen televisions in all rooms and yes the Bar area has been included.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the food and rest assured we are commited to ensuring the service in the restaurant does this justice.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Otley
Hollins Hall Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Premier Inn Leeds / Bradford Airport Hotel
Britannia Leeds Bradford Airport
Travelodge Leeds Bradford Airport
Weetwood Hall Hotel
Weetwood Hall Hotel
#33 of 87 in Leeds
Village Hotel Leeds North

Been to Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!