“Good for relaxing” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Otley
Bradford, United Kingdom
“Good for relaxing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2014

Small hotel, friendly staff. Our room was all wood cladding which was different - never stayed in a room like it. Looked a bit dated but changing it could spoil the quaint feel. There are cabins also available in the surrounding woodland. We didn't see inside them but I remember reading somewhere that you could request a room in one of them instead of the main hotel.

Our room looked out towards the lake and the spa, which was beautiful in the sun but not very private! Could maybe do with a bit of, dare I say, net at the window. Other guests could see straight in. Lovely in the evening as there were rabbits hopping around.

Evening meal was very good but service was extremely slow! I paid a supplement for the steak as I am a fussy eater and didn't fancy the tasting menu. It was cooked to perfection!

Breakfast was great. Cereals and fruit buffet style. Cooked breakfast was table service. Choice was fab!

Spa was nice, probably enhanced by the sunshine though as my opinion distinctly improved on the second day. (Stayed one night but used facilities Sun and Mon). The pool looked grubby to me. Had an unattractive yellow tinge but couldn't decide if it was just the underwater lights. Small but adequate steam room and sauna. Jacuzzi was nice but was closed for some reason on the Monay. Pool was also kind of closed for a while on Mon - it was being used for lessons an we weren't sure whether we could use it at the same time. Not many loungers. Robe provided but not slippers, though they did give me some when I asked. Outside hot tub was more enjoyable than I expected. Loungers outside were good for sunbathing! Didn't seem to be a problem walking back to your room in your robe. We kept ours overnight for the next day. No drinks allowed by the spa. Water machine free to use. Had a salt scrub treatment included which was lovely. My partner had the facial but she felt it was too short.

Not good for phone signal = good for relaxing! :-)

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the lake and spa are good. Ground floor on that side have little terraces.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
      Location
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (432)
Horsforth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2014

Attended a family members wedding here and blessed with a glorious day sandwiched between hurricane Bertha's arrival and the recent heavy showers - we were extremely fortunate to have such a lovely warm sunny day on which to appreciate the nice grounds and outdoor decking. Had the weather been as it was on Friday and Sunday then I would imaging the inside would have become a little claustrophobic by the days’ end.

All staff were very polite and accommodating, hotel is set in lovely hill side setting with a lake at the back surrounded by the log cabins and accommodation. Room for the wedding reception was well laid out and the meal was very enjoyable, starters of tomato and mozzarella stack, mains of chicken in creamy mushroom sauce with profiteroles for dessert were all well presented. Service was efficient and polite throughout.

Overall it was an very enjoyable day, enhanced by the location and the weather that we were fortunate to enjoy. We did think that the drinks at the bar were a little on the pricey side, £6 for a pint of Peroni, and the cost of a double whiskey and a pint coming to £22. When you think that the wedding party was there all day and evening, plus the cost of hiring the venue, we do believe the cost of drinks was being a little bit cheeky.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Sue_and_Andy_66
Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2014

The hotel is unusual, we had a log cabin in the woods, but it lacked the feel of a nice hotel. Spa is nice but agree it could do with a good clean. DBB offer was misleading as its a set 6 course taster meal, which me and my partner thought was the worst meal we had ever had.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
Darlington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2014

I have just come back from an over night stay here to treat my mum! I thought we got a great deal for £220 we got a one night stay in a lodge with a hot tub, use of the spa facilities with a half hour treatment, 6 course meal and breakfast!
Service was amazing all staff friendly and willing to help.
Love the setting if the hotel you can sit there and you could be anywhere in the world, so peaceful!
The lodge was lovely clean and spacious, hit tub out side was great however we were pestered by a lot of flies so had to get out!
The spa facility's was the only let down for me, the changing rooms small and very basic also wasn't the cleanest. The pool was very grubby with a brown stain all across the tiles. The hot tub Inside seemed fine however I had to get out after 10 mins as my eyes were stinging so much ( must be the chemicals) I've never had that in a hot tub before. The outside hot tub was out of use and there was not enough sunbeds so I had no where to put my towel. We only stayed in the leisure spa for one hour so pretty disappointing! We went back for our treatment later which was lovely but for me half hour was not long enough.
6 course meal was infact a 6 course taster meal. I was a little disappointed at first how very small the portions were as it was so tasty however in the end it was actually enough and filling for me. Food was very nice and this also includes the breakfast!
Over all we had a lovely night stay in a beautiful location we didn't let the pool get us down :)

• Stayed August 2014
      Location
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2014

I was nervous at what to expect as this hotel has very mixed reviews. However, we had a splendid weekend. The woodland setting, the lake and the lovely garden area made it for us. From our room one morning we watched a rabbit eat its breakfast.

We were in the hotel and our room had access to the garden. The staff were welcoming and efficient - when I tripped the light switch, someone came immediately to reset it.

We could not fault the breakfast: friendly staff, good food (you could tell the hotel had a Chef), a fabulous view over the lake and a properly laid table with linen napery. We would like to have eaten in the restaurant. We did eat in the bar and the food was good; my fish and chips arrived with a bowl of freshly made tartare sauce.

There was some noise from a wedding party, but they soon moved to another area. We could understand why noise has been a concern to some reviewers as we could still hear music even though we were quite a way from the celebrations.

Our regret is that we could not stay longer and explore the surrounding countryside. Also Otley which is full of independent shops and a joy for anyone who loves to potter around.

Room Tip: Rooms 1 - 7 which overlook the garden area. Some of them have a table and chairs on their outside t...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Doncaster, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2014

I had a pamper day plus champagne lunch bought as a voucher for my 40th birthday and I went to Chevin park spa today. In the blurb it states it is a stunning spa. On arrival we had our lunch order taken which was fine and entered the spa. The changing rooms were dirty and the toilet facility [one] was dirty with faeces in the basin. I entered the spa and was so disappointed. The swimming pool was small and the tiles were so stained the water was brown tinged !! There was a steam room and a sauna that would struggle to fit four people in and there was about 10 of us there. The same is said of the indoor jacuzzi and it was always full so I did not use this either. There were limited beds to relax on although that is the wrong term as they were hard slatted wood and so uncomfortable. To add insult the outdoor hot tub had a sign saying it was not in use [this may have been the only saving grace] The facilities were so poor that we arrived at 10am and had gone to shower and leave at 11am !! I showered in the dirty area and would expect to in most spa's be able to get ready in comfort there was only room for one person to do this and this was a wall mounted hairdryer and mirror. There were no plug sockets for hair straigteners etc. I questionned with the spa reception and was told there was a socket by the mirror in reception [to which I responded I would rather not get ready in a public reception area]
We brought our lunch forward to 12 instead of 12.30 and the food was adequate but the champagne was prosecco at best. We had left by 12.40. All in all I am 100% dissappointed with the experience and will not recommend the location for a spa to anyone. I am surprised that Virgin rate this as "Stunning"

Room Tip: Didn't use hotel
Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank babydollhands
london
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2014

Ok come on either I went to the wrong hotel or there are alot of people too ready with their criticisms whose houses must be palaces with servants I think not...
I booked the Chevin Park hotel for 2 nights on their summer break dinner bed and breakfast .On arrival we were welcomed and given our keycard to our room in a Chalet with 3 rooms within it.The room was spacious and the bathroom very large. The decor was clean and the room tidy and welcoming.
The 6 course taster menu was lovely and my husband commented that he had tried food he would not have chosen or tried by himself and we noted that every diner was commenting how lovely the food was and empty plates were being returned to the kitchen.
The pool was lovely and warm and with a spa pool both inside and out . The steam room was a little small but you are not in there for hours so accomodated everyone at that time.
The bar yes a little dearer than the pubs but not not as bad as I have paid at other hotels.
All I can say is please when booking a hotel try to get the best deal do a bit of reaserch on the different sites and I am sure you will find that the Chevin is a good value for money hotel and does not deserve the bad comments it seems to get... All the staff I came across were happy and helpful and I WILL be returning.. Thank you for a lovley stay...

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
      Rooms
1 Thank louisa63
Also consider these accommodations in or near Otley
Oulton Hall & Spa
The Devonshire Arms Hotel & Spa
Gomersal Park Hotel
Gomersal Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Gomersal

Been to Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!