“lodges are amazing” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Otley
durham
“lodges are amazing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2008

Hotel and surroundings are really nice and great for a romantic gettaway but there are a few problems that need to be sorted:

No towels in leisure centre was not told this at check in, told reception we would use the pool until rm was ready walked all the way there and had to come back up for towels why did reception not inform us we needed towels when we said we were going there. Hot tub was also not very warm.

When i phoned and booked the room I was told I was staying in the old honeymoon suite the Dale suite as they had a new one in the hotel when I arrived this was not the case, although the suite was still nice that I was in, I did not receive any confirmation of my booking so when I rang to check I asked for confirmation that I was in the Dale suite which was confirmed.

Lunch however was very nice although I don't mind paying £8.00 for fish and chips i do however mind that you only get 6 chips with your meal, this also happened when I had steak in the evening which was £20.00 and again only six chips, my husband had the seabass which was nice but he only had two small potatoes. The food however was nice and when I requested onion rings which weren't on the menu they did provide them, service was good although I do feel that a upmarket restaurant is not the place for small children we were seated next to a baby who cried the whole time therefore I do feel that familes with small children should only be aloud meals in the bar as I don't really want to hear a baby cry the whole way through my meal. TDH menu I feel needs more than three main courses.

Breakfast was cold although a nice choice, and it would be nice to have more staff who speak better english as you find that you have to repeat yourself alot although all the staff were very nice.

Overall I really like the hotel and if they can improve on these few issues above and take the comments on board then it will be a above average hotel, I would recommend this hotel as we have had a nice stay and don't let the reviews on this website put you off as the above can be sorted with little effort. The lodges are really cosy and there is nothing better than looking out of your window and seeing a little squirrel walking along the setting is great and if I was ever in the area again I would come back.

• Liked — The lodges
  • Disliked — Food portions need to be improved
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
chevingm, General Manager at Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, December 4, 2008
Thank you for taking the time to write your recent recent review, we do value all feedback and discuss this as a team with a view to implementing change where required.

We have taken on board all you considerations and remain certain that a new positive approach will follow.

Once again thank you for your feedback we do look forward to welcoming you back to the chevin Country Park in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (432)
keighley
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2008

we have just returned home after a night at this hotel we stayed in room 2.
reception=great cant fault very friendly people to talk with. views= fantastic room with a view of the lake the pool house it was so romantic here.

room=bit dark even with lights on but for my boyfriend and myself this was romantic and if there were more lighting it would of ruined the feel of the room tbh.bed was very comfy slept real well we paid 79 pound for the room and we had bed and breakfast which i thought was a reasonable price but dont think i would pay more than this.
pool=pool great had a fantastic time, in locker area a couple of
showers,hair dryers etc in changing room witch is enough unless loads of people using pool at once but theres always the room you can go back to.the jaccuzi and sauna was good aswell.
gym looked good but didnt use so cant comment proper on this.
clanliness=to me it was very clean there and towels in bathroom etc all ok bog standard thing realy.

evening meal=didnt go in the restraunt area wich was the lakeside room we went into the bar area instead and had a bar meal.service very friendly and nice as and when he was around.when we first got there at the bar area nobody was about then there came a lad who tried to serve us but i asked what soup it was he needed to go find out ,and never actually saw him again in this time another lad came to us got our drinks and wrote our order on a scrap of paper cause the other lad tuck the pad with him.we orderd a starter and fish and chips and a steak burgur whitch on the menu said come with real chips but they were fries out of a bag (thats what they tasted like to us).we orderd about 7.30ish and our starter came within 30mins whitch we thought was good and tasted real nice they were flash fried wedges i recomend these they just need cheese on them to taste nicer.then after our starter 30 mins after my boyfriends fish and chips came with our side orders aswell but my boyfriend got half way through his course by this time i was wondering where mine was so i asked and he looked at us clueless until he realised he had made a big big mistake of not ordering my steak burgur.so my boyfriend had finished his bfore i got mine which was roughly 9pm ish so we wasnt happy at all.rob the head waiter came to us and had a word he was very appologetic and did not charge us for the food because of the mistake.but saying all this the food was realy very nice and both lads were very appologetic to us both but suppose the damage had already been done by this time.they were very polite and both were running around alot poor lads.
sleep=very comfy bed quiet unless a aeroplane went over head but you got to expect this with a airport not far away.
breakfast=fantastic couldnt ask for more in the lakeside room looking out onto the lake and ducks plenty of choice and great service.all il say is overall it was a great stay and now i have calmed down sat back and thought about whats gone on we will see you in may 2010 for our wedding day.
checking out=very simple easy and nice cheerful staff great.
(just wonder tho if the lass has thrown the pc out of the window or not hehehehe.
car park=reasonable easy to get to.

• Liked — pool, room, friendliness, taste of food, scenery ,option for breakfast,th place it self.
  • Disliked — the problem with mix up of food.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel, I am glad that you did manage to enjoy your stay with us and that you appreciated the uniqness of the hotel.

I am sorry about the mix up with your food order in the bar however I am relieved that Rob took the approapriate course of action by not charging you on this occasion.

We do look forward to welcoming you back to the Chevin Country Park Hotel and if we can assist further with your wedding plans please do not hessitate to contcat us.
Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2008

Had stayed previously at this hotel and had to change rooms and the restaurant was being refurbished. It was bad. However, this time our room was in the main building. It was good apart from the shower didn't work and the walls are paper thin so you can hear all that is going on next door. The new restaurant is lovely...food very good...staff very polite and efficient..very great improvement from last time. We like this hotel. It has lots of character and is great for us visiting relatives nearby. So that's why we went back...and we did get a great deal DBB aswell. Crerar are in the process of refurbishing and have a fair way to go with the rooms and lodges. However, we felt we got good value for money in a lovely setting.

• Liked — Log cabin build
  • Disliked — needing further upgrading of rooms
      Cleanliness
chevingm, General Manager at Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 19, 2008
Thank you for taking the time to review the Chevin Country park Hotel and your honest assessment of your visit.

Crear hotels are continuing with the refurbishment program that has so far seen the main building benefit from extension to the bar, restaurant and a new front entrance.

It is great news that previous guests are noticing these changes and continuing to remain loyal to this unique hotel.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Chevin Country Park hotel in the near future.
Guiseley, Leeds
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2008

My freind and I went to trial the facilities for the health club out one day I think earlier on this year and the pool was closed for maintainance, so we had to make our own way home, plus we didnt drive, it cost us nearly £10.00 one way in taxi fare just from Menston which is 3 miles away!!? and thats ONE WAY! same again going back. Notice to tourists there are no public transport connections from Chevin Park Lodge. Inany case, You'd think they could have just modified thier website to warn people that week the health club was closed due to................maybe?? If I was staying would they have informed us of this.

They charge you FULL price for a late cancellation of a room not a percentage of it and their rooms are like .......over £100 in the first place . The hotel is NOT child freindly whatsover so it is not advisable to bring babies and infant children. It is very restricted, the staff are challenging about smokers outside despite metal ashtrays hanging on the walls, the payphone didnt work, it was out of order so we had to wait for the receptionist to come back to reception?! as the receptionist was 'gossiping' having left the desk to talk to another member of staff for an unaccpetable amount of time even though people were waiting to be dealt with. Not the best impression of the hotel from people checking in behind us for a start .

Ask yourself is this the kind of service you want to pay for?

The receptionist, when last we went there is an English lady but all the other staff are European, (I am Jamacian), and although appear freindly, they spend less time on service and communication and only seem interested in themselves and what extra ways they can find of taking more money from you, the Resturant and Bar prices are an ABSOLUTE RIP OFF, and the food looks and tastes pre-heated or cheaply bought, the soft drinks, beverages, meals are like London prices, honestly, you would not think you were near Otley, where everything is a bargain!! Which is pricisley why this place is set here because they have found a spot, that if they advertise enough and get enough refferals from others they are basically making a pot of gold simply out of tourists, especially people travelling through on business who have no money issues where money is concerned. Honestly if the richer people knew the true value to money they'd refuse to pay.

To be frank, I would much rather go to a Hotel in LEEDS where there are shops nearby, your not inprisioned, its more lively, you get the best value for those who work hard for thier money and dont fancy wasting it on a pool that you cannot enter, and more fuel costs driving through country roads finding the nearest shops in case you run out of essentials. This hotel only appeals to that repeat audience who have money to hand over, the only nice bit about this place is a bit of green around it and I think you are black mailed into paying for the environment around the actual building. If I wanted to see some woodland I'd go camping in one for free !! Thanks all the same.

Chevin Park to anyone considering, has NO massage facilites which as most of like in a hotel, Ive known Self Employed Massage Therapists offer to work from the hotel who I personally know and nobody there is bothered in the slightest- it doesnt really take much to set aside a room for qualified people to do the treatments that their very own guests are requesting, and they are just turning them away . Leeds Hotels are 4 or 5 star rated much cheaper than this one and offer FULL facilities all inclusive.

THIS PLACE MUST SERIOUSLY BE FOR THOSE WHO HAVE WON THE LOTTERY NOT YOUR AVERAGE JOE BLOGGS.

If anyone reading this review is in doubt or who has had a positive experience from the stay, fair enough, but before you would like to disagree with this one OK , TYPE IN GOOGLE: CHEVIN PARK HOTEL COMPLAINTS, or, CHEVIN LODGE COMPLAINTS, just use common sense, sorry everyone but sometimes the truth has to be said. Overall, I would never venture here again, and I would not recommend it for people with children.

• Liked — The firm large beds for myself as I have moderate arthritis
  • Disliked — The Log Cabins are like saunas, perhaps great for this time of year but overwhelming on summertime nights, food service, prices are shocking, no Massage or Beauty Facilitlies.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank pinkprom
Newcastle
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2008

Have just celebrated our 30th Wedding Anniversary and decided to stay here to do so. Read the reviews beforehand and they did not put me off. All hotels surely have to be refurbished and have building work done at some time or other. The building work did not detract from our stay at all.

Reception was ok apart from the bored young man who was in attendance. Could definitely do with a course in customer relations as he preferred to stare at the computer screen rather than deal with the customers.

Our bedroom was in one of the outside lodges and was very cosy, absolutely adequate for our stay, clean and well equipped. Water pressure was ok in our lodge and the shower worked fine.

Bar prices were not bad at all, and Matt behind the bar was very friendly.

Restaurant staff were fine, very friendly, just appeared to lack direction from management staff. Surely they would be better to be given their own tables to serve rather than the haphazard way that they appear to serve at present. We were asked 3 times on one night by different waiting staff, what we would like to order, we also found that different courses could be served by different waiters during the same meal. Having said that the food overall was fine and very well presented.

Sadlty I returned home with a dose of food poisoning which I can only put down to the salmon that I ate on the Tuesday evening (the night of our anniversary!) as this was the only thing that I ate differently to my husband. So thanks Chevin at least I will never forget my anniversary. Don't however let this put you off, think it was just my bad luck. The hotel is fine for a short break.

• Liked — Amazingly the food.
  • Disliked — Haphazhard restaurant service.
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
chevingm, General Manager at Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 3, 2008
I am gald that you choose to visit the hotel and form your own opinion of the Chevin Country Park Hotel and that your experience lived up to expectations.

We do focus on customer care and I note that during your stay we had success and failures and assure you that we will take the necesary corrective measures.

Thank you for your comments regarding the restaurant this is a jewwl in our crown and we appreciate the comments here.

I was concerned regarding you comments abount your illness on your return home. On the night in question the restaurant served many covers and no other issues were reported. It is possible that something else may have caused the symtoms discribe and I do wish you well.

Once again thank you for your feedback.
Yorkshire, Emgland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2008

When we first arrived we thought "what a beautiful spot" and reception were very friendly and helpful but it all went downhill from there! The interior of the main building was a bit grotty and dated but we hoped that our room would be better. We had booked a "suite", the most expensive room that they had as a special treat and thought the idea of the lodges in the wood was lovely. Unfortunately our room was awful!! When we arrived at the so called suite the roof was covered in blue plastic sheeting and the outside of the lodge was not at all well cared for. The one room (how is that a suite?) was of a reasonable size but full of old, worn and mismatched cheap and nasty furniture. The TV was one of the oldest I have ever seen and the bathroom was an 80's nightmare. if we had been paying about £50 for a night in a B&B the room would have been just about acceptable. The only redeeming feature was an outdoor hot tub - which was out of order. We decided that we could not face spending the night there and preferred the 1 hour drive home. When I went back to reception to tell them that we were leaving the staff were very pleasant and appologetic and while I was waiting to see the manager another guest who overheard said that another guest had just come to reception to complain about their room as well.
This was supposed to be a special treat for my husbands birthday and a last bit of "us time" before the birth of our baby and instead was a total let down!!

• Liked — surroundings
  • Disliked — so called suite
2 Thank Reiterfamily
Firstly may I say how sorry I am that the Dales Suite failed to live up to your expectations and that you felt let down by the standard of furnishing within the hotel.

The Dales Suite is one of the more popular rooms in the hotel due to it's location within the grounds and in our opinion offers a unique charm not associated with modern purpose built hotels.

The main building of the hotel including the public areas, reception, bars and snug lounge have all been refurbished within the past year and in no way could they be discribed as grotty or tired and again are totally in keeping with the uniqness of this hotel.

Our current refurbishment project incorporates re-roofing and refurbishing all of the lodges within the grounds, this is a specialist project due to the grass roofs and can only be carried out a certain times of year and once complete will complement the existing main building.

Once again I am sorry that we were unable to meet your expectations.
Hessle, East Yorkshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2008

Firstly a quick word of warning, the package that we used is apparently no longer available. We stayed here for 1 night on their Stay and Fly package, which was £75 per night with 8 days parking and transfers included. I believe currently it is £85 per night, and the transfers are no longer included, which doesn't seem very good value as the taxi driver asked us for £7.50 for one way before realising it was on the hotel account for us. Breakfast was not included in our package.

We arrived at the hotel mid afternoon, found the place easily, its well sign posted, but down a country lane so its advisable to have directions with you as well. Plenty of parking on site. As has been said due to refurbishment, they are currently renovating the front of the hotel, so you enter by the side and walk down a corridor. Definitely didn't find it the big deal the previous reviewer seems to have.

We were greeted on reception by a lady who was perfectly welcoming and polite, booked our taxi for the next day and a wake up call. First impressions of the hotel where good. Seems very clean and well presented, nice communal areas, plenty of comfortable seating, open fire and such forth.

The room was clean and well furnished. Have to agree, the room is a on the small side, too small really. The bed was very firm, personally I like that, but I know my wife didn't have such a comfortable night. Sound proofing in the rooms is poor. There were tea and coffee making facilities in the room and loads of local information if you are staying longer. TV had a few channels on it, including BBC and was fine for the size of the room. Lighting in the room seemed fine to me. The bathroom was perfectly clean, however the shower was terrible. There was no hot water for our showers are 5.30am (early flight), water ran luke warm most of the time and sometimes cold, also there is poor water pressure. The hotel really needs to get this sorted out. Also when we got up, discovered there was no hair dryer in the room, asked night porter for one, turns out he was a temp and didn't know where to get one.

We visited the bar. Very nice area, loads of bays with cushioned areas. Bar prices where reasonable for a hotel, don't remember exactly but it was under £5 for a pint and a half of larger.

Didn't use the spa area, didn't really have the time.

Checkout was reasonable enough. Night porter gave us our wake up call on time. They called the taxi for us and told us where to wait. Taxi transfer took about ten minutes.

Return to the hotel poor unfortunately. Rang for them to book a taxi for us from the airport, which they said they would and told us where to wait. At time of pick up, no car turned up, rang taxi company and were told hotel had not called them. Rang back hotel, who in fairness got it sorted out quickly.

All in all. Good for the purpose of a airport hotel, but now they have taken the transfers out of the package, you need to add an extra £15 on top for taxi costs and there may be better deals locally.

• Liked — Location to the airport
  • Disliked — Shower
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
chevingm, General Manage at Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 3, 2008
Firstly I would like to thank you for taking the time to review the hotel on tripadvisor, we do value all feedback.

The park and fly packages are among the most popular at the hotel and we have had to make some reent changes to the packages offered. We advertise these packages and sell them through many 3rd party agents so it is worth checking with differnt site to ensure you get the best deal. I would always recommend you visit the hotels own website as more often than not this will offer the best deal.

I am glad you found the hotel comfortable and can only apologise for the inconvienience with the hot water. This is being investigated and we are sure that future guests will not experience similar occurances.

Once again thank you for your kind comments regarding the cleanliness and staff in the hotel and I do hope to welcome you back to the Chevin Country Park in the near future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Otley
Oulton Hall & Spa
The Devonshire Arms Hotel & Spa
Gomersal Park Hotel
Gomersal Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Gomersal

Been to Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!