“mixed”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Otley
lancashire, england
“mixed”
Reviewed September 30, 2008

I found it slightly odd to have to go outside from reception to my room, but it was not far and the room was very nice. I was able to park the car nearby which was also a plus.

Negatives concerned the meals. Both were of good quality but the service was poor. I ordered a breakfast in my room for 7am, which had not arrived by 7.20. I went and ate in the restaurant and came back to find it being delivered at 7.30. I had to leave the hotel at 7.30, which was why I ordered an early breakfast!

In the evening, I wanted to work, so ordered just a main course so that I could get back to my room as quickly as possible. The food took 50 minutes to arrive - the reason given was that I had not had a starter. But the reason I did not have a starter ...

I felt that I was punished for not having a starter by being made to wait. And no it did not need extensive preparation time - I ordered a steak.

I would stay here again but certainly not eat here.

Stayed September 2008
1 Thank oldvole
chevingm, General Manager at Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 6, 2008
Firstly may I thank you for your kind comments regarding the quality of accommodation and food offer here at Chevin Country Park Hotel and Spa.

I am sorry that service you experienced was not to our usual standards and assure you that we will review standards to ensure that the quality of service matches that of the food and accommodation.

Once again thank you for taking the time to post a review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (449)
N.ireland
Reviewed September 30, 2008

Lovely area. Lovely setting and I enjoyed staying in the log cabin but the whole experience was let down by inattention to detail and the dinner!! No literature in room to tell you about the hotel, spa etc; no stop on end of curtain rail so curtain kept falling off; torn door mat, very cold dining room, no choice of coffee as machine was broken, had to ask for bread rolls.
The dinner was the big disappointment. Despite having a rossette we were offered a very limited menu. The food was cold and portions tiny and not exciting and the roast beef and Yorkshire pud was served without potatoes of any sort. When we asked for some we were told they did not come with the meal and none were available!!

• Liked — setting for the cabins
  • Disliked — dinner!!
    • Check in / front desk
chevingm, General Manager at Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 2, 2008
I am sorry that you felt let down by the restaurant on your recent visit to the Chevin Country Park Hotel and Spa.

It is most unusual to receive such feedback regarding the restaurant.

Each evening the restaurant offers a daily table d'hote menu along with an extensive a la carte menu. These menus are available to all guest who dine in the Lakeside.

All dishes are served with approapriate accompaniment including potatoes and I am surprised this was not the case on this occasion. I will be reviewing all standards with my brigade.

Thank you for the valued feedback.
Glasgow ScotlandThistle
Reviewed September 29, 2008

My wife and I visited the Yorkshire Dales last week on a five night break staying at the Crerar Chevin Country Park Hotel. Our decision was influenced by the our excellent stay at the Loch Fyne Hotel in Inveraray in January this year which is also run by the Crerar Hotel group.First impressions at the Chevin were good as room 65 which was a log cabin in the woodland grounds was very attractive apart from the need of refurbrishment of the bathroom. Over the next couple of days less attractive aspects became obvious, food in the restaurant was good but not special and service was amateurish, the staff seemed poorly trained with a lack leadership being very apparent, with very little knowledge of how a guest should be addressed 'You Guys' seems a little over familiar.We had dinner on the first two nights but found alternatives for the other three,The first three days breakfasts were freshly cooked, but on the last two days a buffet breakfast left a lot to be desired ranging through cold toast, overcooked scrambled eggs, tough sausages finishing with cold greasy black pudding. Another problem was in the simple area of guest convenience with the lack of coffee sachets in the bedroom after the first two days,all these points would indicate a lack of managment sklils at all levels.We had hoped to use the spa but a viewing through the windows was enough to put us off, all in all a dissapointing experience.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Service
darlington
Reviewed September 22, 2008

We stayed at this hotel on our first wedding anniversary 4 years ago and loved it ...the peaceful surroundings and when you have three children believe me you appreicate all the much more!!!!
So this weekend we found our selves without the kids and thought we would take advantage, we booked late fri afternoon to come stay sat 20 sep. as there was a wedding on we were lucky to get the last room.........Hhmmmm the room!!
when we stayed last time we got one of the rooms very near the hotel which was lovely this time it was right at the back of the complex which wasnt a problem as the weather was lovely, just the room was very basic,i.e the bathroom!!!! This really needs up dating!!
also i was very concerned as there seemed to be a door ajoining one of the other rooms which had a chest of draws up against and the key hole blocked with toilet roll........why?????
Also sound proofing is a big issue as we heard the couple next door (well think you get the idea) and im sure they will of heard from our room too (making most of no kids) but its not exactly what you go away and want to listen too!
Now to the food this was lovely as is the restaurant only thing i would say is breakfast is very disorganised in the way it was laid out people would be queing one end then someone would be pushing in and starting a que the other end i have to say the people doing this were actually the ones from the older generation.
Also the staff are very friendly and helpful if you need any thing, we would def stay again think maybe next year once all the renervations are complete and ask for a room in the hotel part i think!!!!!

• Liked — surroundings
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank wickedbabyluvx
chevingm, General Manager at Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 23, 2008
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on tripadvisor.

I am glad that your overall experience of the hotel was positive and that you enjoyed your time without the kids.

The log cabins are on the schedule for refurbishment and this should commence in the coming months.

So far we have completed all the guest rooms in the main building along with the public areas and we are particularly pleased with our stunning restaurant extension.

The breakfast on Sunday mornings can be busy and I have to agree that some people do have a tendency to push through the crowd, we will relook at the operation of this to see if we can make improvements to this.

I thank you for your kind comments regarding the staff, these are very much appreciated.

I do look forward to welcoming you back to Chevin Country Park in the near future.
Cheshire
Reviewed September 17, 2008

I chose the Hotel to get away from airport hotels and have the luxury that the website led you to believe you should expect, and doubled my hotel cost in the process.
The room itself was ok, but the bathroom left a lot to be desired - it was dated and not particularly clean - the ceiling being made up of interconnecting wooden beams to complete the log cabin theme were grubby and full of cobwebs.
The sanitary ware was very dated with mould growing around siliconed areas with a coloured suite. The shower handle came off in your hand and the pressure was non-existant. I arrived in time for dinner, only to find there was not a drop of hot water available so after a long day's work I couldn't comfortably shower before dinner. On enquiring, I was told that this 'happens' and that if I wait an hour or so I am sure there will be some more later.
The same situation happened in the morning prior to breakfast at 8am.
My newspaper was not ordered either.
I would suggest if you stay there to shower at 4pm for dinner and about 6am for breakfast to beat the rush!
The food was of good quality however.
I was offered no form of discount on check out. I am a professional who travels around the world with work and spends on average 2 nights away per week. I can hand on heart say that I would have preferred to have stayed in a premierInn or travellodge where everything is as described and seldom lets you down from a business travellers point of view, and from the leisure side, there is far better out there for the money.
Off memory I was in room 7 in the main building half way along the corridor - maybe I just got the one bad room!?

• Liked — the food
  • Disliked — the complete lack of hot water and poor quality in bathrooms
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
3 Thank Will1973
chevingm, General Manager at Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 18, 2008
I am sorry that your recent visit to Chevin Country Park Hotel and Spa did not live up to your expectations. I have investigated you comments concerning room 7 and can assure you that the housekeeping standands have improved.

I appreciate your concerns regarding the lack of hot water and we are investigating ways of improving the supply to this area of the building.

I am dissappointed that when you raised your concerns with the reception team that they did not resovle the issue to your satisfaction and I have addressed this with the team.
uk
Reviewed September 11, 2008

We stayed at this hotel 20 years ago on our wedding night and have now been married 20 years so my husband booked this as a surprise. He even booked the same room.

The staff are very friendly as is the manager so no complaints there.

Rooms deffo need refurbishing and soundproofing i think but breakfast was good. Used the spa once and that was filthy, the floor was so dirty as was the ladies changing room.

On the whole i would return if rooms were improved and i do feel for the staff cos i guess they get a lot of complaints but we had a good stay.

Last but not least. When we stayed the first time there were swans,ducks and loads of wildlife on the lake,but this time nothing??????????????, such a shame as the setting is to die for.

• Liked — The setting was fab and staff were great
  • Disliked — Rooms old fashioned and poor lighting
    • Check in / front desk
Thank you for taking the time to complete your review of Chevin Country Park Hotel, Iwas please that you enjoyed many aspects of your stay and do appreciate your comments regarding the staff.

I have spoken with my head housekeeper regarding the cleanliness to certain ares of the hotel and am confident that these will be improved.

many areas of the hotel have recently been refurbished and we are hplanning to complete the lodges next year.

I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Chevin Country Park Hotel and Spa in the near future.
Brighouse
Reviewed September 4, 2008

Disappointed with the room for the price paid. Booked an executive suite and should have expected the worst when we saw that the room number on the card given upon arrival had been crossed out and a new number hand-written in it's place. In hindsight we were probably given a room that someone had already refused.

There was a broken and loose floor tile in the bathroom, which we were lucky not to cut our feet on. The basin taps didn't work unless they were turned on fully and the water pipes rattled when the shower was in use.

In the living room there was a glass-topped table with loose glass and the television reception was very poor. The view out of the window was of a portaloo and the curtains were hanging off the rail.

All-in-all it was a health & safety nightmare and we were lucky to be staying for just one night.

On the plus side, the restaurant and food were outstanding and the hotel grounds lovely.

• Liked — The restaurant and food
  • Disliked — The room
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Emms-owner
chevingm, General Manager at Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 5, 2008
many thanks for taking the time to review the hotel on tripadvisor. we do value all feedback and appreciate the time it takes guest to write reviews.

I am sorry that the standard of accommodation failed to meet your expectations, I have investigated the issues highlighted and discussed these with my Head Housekeeper and Maintenance Manager am remain confident that the nessecary corrective measures have been taken.

I am glad that you enjoyed your visit to the Lakeside Restaurant and appreciate your comments regarding our wonderful location.

I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Otley
Oulton Hall & Spa
Rudding Park Hotel
Rudding Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Follifoot
Britannia Leeds Bradford Airport

Been to Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!