“Fantastic Lovely Romantic Getaway!”

Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Otley
Reviewed September 5, 2013

We arrived and were greeted by the receptionist who requested our groupon voucher, we did not have it to hand however she was extremely helpful in advising us there was a computer available for us to get our voucher at some point through the stay.. We were given full directions to our lodge room with a map and were advised if there were any problems to go to reception.. we had a parking space directly outside our lodge and were very pleased with our room and the surroundings.. we would acknowledge that the exterior of the lodge had cobwebs and things however we had paid to stay in an OUTDOOR hotel which was nestled in a beautiful woodland setting so this was no problem.. The meal was OUTSTANDING, we were treated like royalty, the staff were attentive and polite and hard working and we felt extremely looked after.. and I wish we had given our compliments to the chef! SUPERB FOOD! The breakfast was fantastic, all tastes catered for and coffee on tap.. Everything about our stay was fantastic and I would happily go back, the spa was relaxing and clean and the surroundings were beautiful.. We feel the pictures on the website do not do the hotel justice. Thank you for a wonderful relaxing stay, our batteries have been recharged.

Room Tip: We had a lodge room 50 and we were very happy with it.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
chevingm, General Manager at Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2013

Thank you for your great comments, I have passed them onto all the staff and the kitchen team. Please come back and see us when you are next visiting the area.
The Management and Staff at Chevin

Write a ReviewReviews (1,905)

Reviewed September 2, 2013

This was my first experience of a spa break. My two sisters and I booked our visit based on facilities, reviews from various websites and ease of travel. We phoned Chevin prior to booking to confirm overall suitability of our room and spa treatments for my sisters needs. It was a late celebration of my sisters birthday and a much needed respite for all three of us . We were greeted warmly at reception and given the key to our room(lodge, in the wood. We had been upgraded).
The facilities were spacious, comfortable,scenic and peaceful. We stayed three days what a treat, one regret we didn't have the bottle to do the outside hot tub, outside was tooo cold. maybe next time. Pool, Spa, Bar, Restaurant and Scenic Venue the enjoyment was off the hook. Thank you so much to All. WE HAVE HAD THE BEST TIME.

Room Tip: Before we left we asked to look at the other room options. If we can't get the Wensleydale lodge...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank mochatraveller

Thank you for your great comments. Please come back and see us when you are next visiting the area. We appreciate the time it takes to convey your comments.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

we booked a 3 night Dinner bed & breakfast at this hotel though Easy breaks. We were advised that upon arrival we would be allocated a log cabin or a room in the hotel. We were given no 54 log cabin. It was very nice although quite dull as lots of trees surround it. We had already booked our Time for dinner at 7pm. The dinning room was very nicely set out and we were seated next to the window overlooking the lake. We were given the choice of the set menu or the Al a carte which if you chose that, there was a supplement to pay.What they did not inform us of was what you didn't order as your choices the other selections came as tasters. This was confusing for us as we should have been told before hand. They have so many different deals going on they must have slipped up in telling us. The Meal was ok but we decided to eat elsewhere the other two nights as I found the choice not to my liking.
As we were in the cabins there was no phone or wifi signal at all. We ended up taking our Laptops upto the hotel and sat in the lounge one night. The spa was included in our stay and we used it. The jacuzzi was lovely as was the sauna and steam room. I don't swim so did not use the pool.
There are many walks to do around there and in Otley itself lots of nice shops etc. The staff were very nice and friendly and the morning we found we did not have any hot water,they sorted it by the time we had had our breakfast.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you of your great comments. Please come back and see us when you are next visiting the area.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

booked this using the groupon offer, on arrival we found reception unmanned, a gentlemen arrived who ignored us and began to make a phone call without even a nod of acknowledgement, after he finished his call he shouted out the back for someone still without a smile or even making eye contact with us. a woman arrived and I was informed that I needed a hardcopy of the groupon voucher, I had a pdf on my phone showing the relevant code numbers etc but that was not acceptable. the receptionist, who definitely had not had a good day, pointed out that the rules were the rules and no exceptions could be made, I asked if not printing out the voucher meant we would not be able to stay, you can still stay here without the printed off voucher she replied, making me feel very relieved, she then added that we would have to pay again at full room price. she did offer to let me email the voucher to them but the area has no phone signal and hotel wifi was not available so I protested firmly asking for the manager who turned out to be the gentlemen who had originally ignored us at reception. he pointed us towards a computer from the late 18th century in a dusty corner and told us we could use that. it was running a version of windows so old I couldn't use it and appeared to have only a dial up connection, I called the manager back after it crashed and he then worked with my partner to get the voucher emailed to reception to print out. I would like to point out that I had emailed the voucher to the hotel when I booked the room so they already had what they were asking for they just weren't willing to look for it, if they had emailed me a confirmation as they said they would I may have been informed to have a printed copy of the voucher with me at check in but to leave that request until your stood in reception is ridiculous. we spent 40 minutes stood in reception after a 5 hour drive as we were not being allowed to progress until this voucher was printed and the hotel computers were not doing anything in a hurry.
we were then given a cabin, I am at a loss as to describe the room I have photos which I will add to the review if possible though they won't convey the smell, a combination of mould and baby sick, it was like a motel room from an American movie where the hooker takes her client only with worse décor and more filth, carpet stains, filth in the grout on the shower, broken toilet seat never before have I wished I carried a hazmat suit in my luggage, it made my skin crawl. I complained and we were swapped to half a suite, we were given access to a bedroom and ensuite only, the bedroom was only just bigger than the queen size bed. it was better but not great, you wouldn't want to walk on the carpet in bare feet.
it was the start of my birthday weekend so we made the best of it, we had the taster menu in the restaurant and I have to say the restaurant staff were really nice and very good both at dinner and breakfast and the food ranged from above average to very good. breakfast was quality over quantity.

we did only pay £85 for the room, dinner and breakfast but that doesn't mean you should deal with reception staff with bad attitude, ignorant management and the degree of dirt around the place. the outside of all the buildings are covered in thick old cobwebs with dead moths and flies. the restaurant is the saving grace of the place, go for dinner just don't stay in the hotel. the hotels website presents a very unrealistic impression of the place believe me your not going to make anyone feel special bringing them here.

4  Thank Garry T

Dear Gary,
Thank you of your candid comments about the Chevin. It seems we did not get everything right for you on this occasion, but I do note the comments regarding the food and restaurant service. I was present at reception some of the time during your check in and I did not experience the receptionist being un-professional at any time. She was quite correct in that the printed material was required from your Groupon voucher to allow you to stay with us; however it is refreshing to note that she did not turn you away but offered you an alternative room. The operations manager eventually downloaded your voucher through his own personal email address which I have commended professionalism as this was the correct thing to do. I have had a look at the room you have commented on and I have spoken to the Housekeeper at length. Yes you are quite right we do suffer from cobwebs on the outside of the hotel but this is all part of being in our unique location in 44 acres of woodland, I would be more concerned if these were on the inside.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

Arrived and welcomed by a very freindly receptionist, however on entering the room we were very disappointed. Very tired fittings and furnishings, dated bathroom with coloured suite from the 80s.
Well for the price paid for an evening away including dinner and entertainment, perhaps we shouldn't grumble, but we did draw the short straw as other guest paid the same price and had the newer upgraded rooms. The worst bit was the bed. The mattress badly needed replacing as the springs were very uncomfortable. On examination here was not even a mattress protector in place. Now there are things you can do with mattress enhancers etc that would add comfort even if the mattress is past it's sell by date.
The bathroom was spacious and again dated with the colored suite. It took a while for the hot water to come through and then almost scolded you in the shower - there was a notice advising to be ware of hot water. In this day and age though a thermostatic shower should be provided.
Leaving the room was a pleasure and the bar staff were very obliging and efficient. The evening's Rat Pack tribute night was the highlight of our stay. We were welcomed with a glass of Prosecco. Then followed a lovely 3 course meal which was well presented and efficiently served. The table for two was a little cosy to accommodate all the glasses, crockery and cutlery, but acceptable. The entertainment was first class. Dean Gee from the London area provided a very professional and entertaining performance which took us into the wee small hours.
Then back to the bedroom and that aweful uncomfortable bed and watching the clock go round and wishing it was morning. Breakfast service was very good. The menu allowed plenty of choice and the cooked breakfast was delivered on lovely hot plates though my more than ample portion of scrambled egg and smoked salmon would have been more acceptable if the salmon had been chopped up and added to the egg rather than an icy cold mound on the side.
On check out I mentioned the bed and dated room and furnishings. We were given the key to an empty room within the hotel and what a difference. The bed and mattress certainly had been replaced and the fixtures and fittings upgraded. The bathroom was smaller with a shower over the bath but at least it was more modern and clean looking with no mould in the grouting. But why have an empty refurbished room and let the grotty inferior rooms? We'd may visit again but only if the bedroom allocated is like Room 6 which we viewed on check out.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgradred room. Avoid the rooms in the 40s like the plague!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for your kind comments, we have had some great feedback from the "Rat Pack Tribute" Glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you fully enjoyed the delights we have to offer here at Chevin. I will have a look at the room you stayed in and rectify the bed. Thank you for brining this to my attention. Hope to see you back for our “Meatloaf Tribute” on the 1st November.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

I wanted to come online to share my recent experiences of travelling to this fabulous hotel for 2 recent tribute nights. 1st tribute night we went to was at the end July and it was a Robbie Williams tribute night....we are in our early 70s and maybe thought that this was a little bit out of our age range however after seeing a fantastic deal for £50 for a 3 course meal, entertainment and an evening stay, however I must say that what fantastic night we had!! He played up to the crowd and we had a fantastic evening of dancing with a disco afterwards. Last night we took advantage of the next tribute night which was the "rat pack" a little bit more our age range!! However this evening was absolutely fantastic...we had a real good time and the food and entertainment was absolutely fantastic...what a night!! The rooms are lovely and clean, spacious and the hospitality staff cannot do enough. We got to meet the owners, Sharon and Stuart whom made us feel like royalty and could not do enough to tend to our needs. We have already put our name down for the next tribute nights and cannot wait for the Michael Buble. Please ignore the bad reviews on here. This really is a fantastic hotel and very unique!! Thank You for a fabulous stay

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank blackcat1943

Thank you very much for your kind comments, we have had some great feedback from both of our events Glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you fully enjoyed the delights we have to offer here at Chevin. Hope to see you back for our “Meatloaf Tribute” on the 1st November.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

6 of us spent a fantastic day/night at the hotel everything was perfect the staff the rooms were very good the food was very good and to cap it all watched a great show the rat pack show thanks to all management and staff

Room Tip: room 47 is a very good room
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Thank you very much for your kind comments, we have had some great feedback from our event Glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you fully enjoyed the delights we have to offer here at Chevin
The Management and Staff at Chevin

Also consider these accommodations in or near Otley
Hollins Hall Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Premier Inn Leeds / Bradford Airport Hotel
Oulton Hall & Spa
Oulton Hall & Spa
#1 of 1 in Oulton
Travelodge Leeds Bradford Airport
Britannia Leeds Bradford Airport
Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel

Been to Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!