“2 Tribute Night visits...Absolutely Fabulous!!!!!”

Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Otley
Reviewed September 1, 2013

I wanted to come online to share my recent experiences of travelling to this fabulous hotel for 2 recent tribute nights. 1st tribute night we went to was at the end July and it was a Robbie Williams tribute night....we are in our early 70s and maybe thought that this was a little bit out of our age range however after seeing a fantastic deal for £50 for a 3 course meal, entertainment and an evening stay, however I must say that what fantastic night we had!! He played up to the crowd and we had a fantastic evening of dancing with a disco afterwards. Last night we took advantage of the next tribute night which was the "rat pack" a little bit more our age range!! However this evening was absolutely fantastic...we had a real good time and the food and entertainment was absolutely fantastic...what a night!! The rooms are lovely and clean, spacious and the hospitality staff cannot do enough. We got to meet the owners, Sharon and Stuart whom made us feel like royalty and could not do enough to tend to our needs. We have already put our name down for the next tribute nights and cannot wait for the Michael Buble. Please ignore the bad reviews on here. This really is a fantastic hotel and very unique!! Thank You for a fabulous stay

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank blackcat1943
chevingm, General Manager at Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2013

Thank you very much for your kind comments, we have had some great feedback from both of our events Glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you fully enjoyed the delights we have to offer here at Chevin. Hope to see you back for our “Meatloaf Tribute” on the 1st November.

There are newer reviews for Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa

Reviewed September 1, 2013

6 of us spent a fantastic day/night at the hotel everything was perfect the staff the rooms were very good the food was very good and to cap it all watched a great show the rat pack show thanks to all management and staff

Room Tip: room 47 is a very good room
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Thank you very much for your kind comments, we have had some great feedback from our event Glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you fully enjoyed the delights we have to offer here at Chevin

Reviewed September 1, 2013

Just returned from a 5 night stay at this hotel, Greeted by friendly helpful reception staff ,stayed on half board basis in room 9 with our dog Fudge. Good sized room with nice views could open the door and sit outside with the dog overlooking the lake and watching the rabbits etc at night he loved it !!! Great location for walking in Chevin forest and visiting nearby villages and towns etc. At mealtimes the service was a bit hit and miss but the food was of a great standard.Enjoyed using the leisure facilities.Overall had a really enjoyable stay.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for your kind comments we are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and that you fully enjoyed the delights we have to offer here at Chevin

Reviewed August 30, 2013

We didnt expect much, good really, as we didnt get much. The lodges are tiny, we opened the door & almost fell over the bed. Anyway, just 1 night, so not too bad. There are a lot of areas that seem to have been neglected, rotting timbers, planters that look very sorry, its just looking very tired. Surprising considering the standard room is £155 B&B..!

We tried the spa facilities - OK, what you'd expect, again, a little dated here & there, but overall, not too bad.

So, dinner. A 6 course meal & wine - great - all part of the Groupon deal. Hmmmm. It was a taster meal. 1st course was a small slice of smoked duck on a spoon. Remaining courses small, tasty admittedly, but small. The final course was a small cracker, with a tiny blob of cheese & a small drizzle of chutney. Now, I'm no expert but does a slice of duck on a spoon constitute a 'course'? Does 1 small cracker with a tiny bit of cheese & chutney constute a course? We left for a G&T each in the bar £11+ (!!), peckish for a bag of chips or something.......

The lodges rooms, yes very small, dated etc, also quite noisy. We could hear word for word what the couple next door were chatting about & they were talking at a 'normal' volume. Disturbed us trying to sleep & again in the morning....where we had - Breakfast! Now, when I stay away somewhere, I look forward to a good brekkie, I rarely have a good, full breakfast at home. So, breakfast time - a FULL English please. 5 mins later, 1 poached egg, 1 rasher of bacon, 1 very small sausage, 1 half grilled tomato, a small round of black pudding & a small round of haggis(..??!!) Might just be me expecting too much, but I would not call this a full English. It was OK, not the best I'd had, but I was disappointed again with the portion sizes. I seem to recall my wife informing me that breakfast was quoted at about £17 on the room info.!

So, all in all, looking its age, OK if you dont have a bit appetite & dont expect too much. We had a night to ourselves, with no children, as we do now & again, but sorry Chevin Lodge (I mean, Country Park & Spa - to make it sound more attractive I guess...) - I dont think we'll be returning.

I do have to say that the staff were all very pleasant, all we encountered were friendly, chatty & seemed genuinely interested in what they were doing. Things like that, you remember.

Room Tip: Remember - the lodges are very small......I expect the suites offer much more but will no doubt come...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your honest feedback as to your stay with us. I have noted your points and will take up the matter with my team at the hotel. I am sorry you did not completely enjoy your stay with us this time; I can assure you it is not our usual standard. We do have many customers who return to us again and again to sample the delights we have to offer at Chevin. I am also a little surprised by your comments regarding breakfast as we have numerous members of trip advisor who praise our hearty breakfast.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

We were a party of 11 who book a spa day via spa breaks back in June.

On arrival at the hotel we were invited to sit in the bar area. We were not offered drinks or given any guidance on making our way to the spa which resulted on us arriving at the spa after our booking time. This was the first of many poor examples of customer service we were to experience through the course of the day.

On arrival at the spa we were all issued with our robes and slippers, no problems there, and directed to the changing room and pool area.

After an hour or so, we decided we would order some drinks – having been up very early to travel to the spa and not previously being offered anything earlier in the morning.

We found a menu at the spa reception area and chose our drinks and light snacks – that the menu stated refreshments were served form 10am. There were no staff members to be seen, so we made our way to the main reception area (in our robes) to enquire about refreshments.

We were then told that we would not be served any refreshments due to the fact a wedding from the previous day were currently eating their breakfast! I clarified this as I found this absolutely shocking and did not believe that a hotel of such standard would claim this.. I was assured this statement was correct and that this had come from the deputy manager who was on duty that day.

I found this totally unacceptable and asked to speak to the deputy manager personally.

After approximately half an hour the deputy manager appeared (again – unacceptable as we were waiting around the reception in our robes) He explained that there was a wedding on and that the hotel was busy in dealing with those guests! I stated to him that this was totally unacceptable, as I myself am seven and a half months pregnant, and also all the other ladies had been up early to get to the spa for 9am. He stated that they would serve snacks from 11am, I explained that some ladies had spa treatments booked in at 11am, therefore this would not provide them with any refreshments until lunchtime - which we were again not happy about.

The deputy manager then agreed to serve us drinks and allowed us in to the restaurant to ‘help ourselves’ to the leftovers from the wedding party!!!!!!!

I cannot begin to tell you how humiliating this was – but having not eaten and given no other option we had no choice but to do so.

We were also asked to pre order our lunch and that a card would be needed to make a pre authorisation – we were still in our swim wear and robes at this time. This gives off the impression that the hotel has a very dim view of their customers. We were also told that we were fine to come and eat lunch in our robes.

On arriving back in the main reception / bar area lunch was served prompt and was delicious. However, we then had to go to the bar to request a desert menu as none were on the tables. Bearing in mind we were still in our robes (which we had previously clarified would be ok) only to find that there was another wedding party who had gathered in the bar. Again, we felt completely humiliated and treated like we were an inconvenience to the hotel rather that paying guests.. I dread to think what the wedding party thought of us eleven ladies in our robes with wet hair at their wedding!! I would’ve been very disgruntled had this been my own wedding.

We ordered desserts, some came and were delicious, and however the 3 ladies who had ordered scones had to wait 15 minutes before having to reminding the staff about them. Once they eventually arrived they had been served with used butter and jams!!

What should’ve been a nice relaxing lunch together had again been ruined by shockingly poor customer service and being dealt with as unwelcomed guests. We never even managed to eat desserts together as more spa treatments were booked at 1pm.

Also, we were never given our complimentary glass of sparkling wine, as per our spa package.

I would, however, like to compliment the ladies who worked in the treatment rooms in the spa. The treatments were fabulous and they were all very pleasant.

I would also like to mention the state of the pool. It actually looked green as oppose to the actual blue colour due to the tiles being discoloured that much – very un inviting and off putting. Also, I do not know what is used in the pool but several ladies had skin reactions and came out in red blotches – myself included. Luckily, no lasting damage came from this unlike our jewellery.

The five of the ladies who were wearing silver had severe discolouration to the jewellery items. Again, I myself included. This has never happened at any other spa or pool – so I do not accept that it is simply due to chlorine. Two of these pieces of jewellery were very precious and I sincerely hope the jeweller can restore the items!!

I totally accept that the hotel needs to look after the wedding guests, but this should not be at the extent of other paying guests. If the hotel cannot accommodate both, then both should simply not be booked in at the same time.

I have e mailed the hotel manager with our complaint - however they have not replied!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Vicky3BZ
chevingm, General Manager at Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2013

Well I am sorry it looks like we didn't get it right for you on the day. We have many great comments about our staff and I am disappointed that you should use the words shocking in your review. We do try extremely hard to accommodate all our guests’ requests at very short notice however I believe we did our best on the day as I was present throughout. I have passed on your comments to the girls in the spa who provided your treatments. Apologises once again for not meeting fully with your expectations. Just as a footnote we were investigating your comments but you posted this reply before I could complete them.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

A very comfortable room in this rather unique Timber built hotel set in a very attractive woodland setting at Yorkgate which is on top of a steep rise from Otley. The main building which houses the reception, dining room, bar and lounge is reputably the largest wooden building in England. The food was really excellent -the hotel has been awarded AA rosette standard for many years. Every meal we had was absolutely delicious and very well balanced. We came here last year and will certainly be back very soon. Very good value stay. A very good swimming pool and Spa.

Room Tip: We had a room attached to the main building rather than a wooden chalet in the attactive woodland. T...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for the great comments; it is very refreshing to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. See you again in the near future when you venture over the border again.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

Well I have just come back from a lovely spa break with my mum and sister. The staff were fantastic, couldn't do enough for us, the restaurant was lovely, fab surroundings, spa was relaxing treatments lovely!
We popped into otley for a nice walk round the lovely shops before checking in. We then went to the sa and had our treatments and relaxed round the pool and sunbathed outside by the lake! And popped into the hot tub before getting ready for our lovely meal. Then had a great nights sleep before have our breakfast x
We will def be going back! Def worth a visit

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you very much for the great review I am glad that you had such a lovely with us. See you again soon.
The Management and Staff at Chevin.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Otley
Hollins Hall Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Britannia Leeds Bradford Airport
Rudding Park Hotel
Rudding Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Follifoot

Been to Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!