$85
  • Restaurant
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
2,014 results
All reviewshot tubtaster menulog cabinmain buildingoutdoor jacuzzigroupon dealrelaxing breakoverlooking the lakelakeside restaurantleisure facilitiesnight breakcrerar hotelsleeds bradford airportbed and breakfastshort breakblack puddingwedding venue
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We were a party of 11 who book a spa day via spa breaks back in June.

On arrival at the hotel we were invited to sit in the bar area. We were not offered drinks or given any guidance on making our way to the spa which resulted on us arriving at the spa after our booking time. This was the first of many poor examples of customer service we were to experience through the course of the day.

On arrival at the spa we were all issued with our robes and slippers, no problems there, and directed to the changing room and pool area.

After an hour or so, we decided we would order some drinks – having been up very early to travel to the spa and not previously being offered anything earlier in the morning.

We found a menu at the spa reception area and chose our drinks and light snacks – that the menu stated refreshments were served form 10am. There were no staff members to be seen, so we made our way to the main reception area (in our robes) to enquire about refreshments.

We were then told that we would not be served any refreshments due to the fact a wedding from the previous day were currently eating their breakfast! I clarified this as I found this absolutely shocking and did not believe that a hotel of such standard would claim this.. I was assured this statement was correct and that this had come from the deputy manager who was on duty that day.

I found this totally unacceptable and asked to speak to the deputy manager personally.

After approximately half an hour the deputy manager appeared (again – unacceptable as we were waiting around the reception in our robes) He explained that there was a wedding on and that the hotel was busy in dealing with those guests! I stated to him that this was totally unacceptable, as I myself am seven and a half months pregnant, and also all the other ladies had been up early to get to the spa for 9am. He stated that they would serve snacks from 11am, I explained that some ladies had spa treatments booked in at 11am, therefore this would not provide them with any refreshments until lunchtime - which we were again not happy about.

The deputy manager then agreed to serve us drinks and allowed us in to the restaurant to ‘help ourselves’ to the leftovers from the wedding party!!!!!!!

I cannot begin to tell you how humiliating this was – but having not eaten and given no other option we had no choice but to do so.

We were also asked to pre order our lunch and that a card would be needed to make a pre authorisation – we were still in our swim wear and robes at this time. This gives off the impression that the hotel has a very dim view of their customers. We were also told that we were fine to come and eat lunch in our robes.

On arriving back in the main reception / bar area lunch was served prompt and was delicious. However, we then had to go to the bar to request a desert menu as none were on the tables. Bearing in mind we were still in our robes (which we had previously clarified would be ok) only to find that there was another wedding party who had gathered in the bar. Again, we felt completely humiliated and treated like we were an inconvenience to the hotel rather that paying guests.. I dread to think what the wedding party thought of us eleven ladies in our robes with wet hair at their wedding!! I would’ve been very disgruntled had this been my own wedding.

We ordered desserts, some came and were delicious, and however the 3 ladies who had ordered scones had to wait 15 minutes before having to reminding the staff about them. Once they eventually arrived they had been served with used butter and jams!!

What should’ve been a nice relaxing lunch together had again been ruined by shockingly poor customer service and being dealt with as unwelcomed guests. We never even managed to eat desserts together as more spa treatments were booked at 1pm.

Also, we were never given our complimentary glass of sparkling wine, as per our spa package.

I would, however, like to compliment the ladies who worked in the treatment rooms in the spa. The treatments were fabulous and they were all very pleasant.

I would also like to mention the state of the pool. It actually looked green as oppose to the actual blue colour due to the tiles being discoloured that much – very un inviting and off putting. Also, I do not know what is used in the pool but several ladies had skin reactions and came out in red blotches – myself included. Luckily, no lasting damage came from this unlike our jewellery.

The five of the ladies who were wearing silver had severe discolouration to the jewellery items. Again, I myself included. This has never happened at any other spa or pool – so I do not accept that it is simply due to chlorine. Two of these pieces of jewellery were very precious and I sincerely hope the jeweller can restore the items!!

I totally accept that the hotel needs to look after the wedding guests, but this should not be at the extent of other paying guests. If the hotel cannot accommodate both, then both should simply not be booked in at the same time.

I have e mailed the hotel manager with our complaint - however they have not replied!!!!!

1  Thank Vicky3BZ
chevingm, General Manager at Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2013

Well I am sorry it looks like we didn't get it right for you on the day. We have many great comments about our staff and I am disappointed that you should use the words shocking in your review. We do try extremely hard to accommodate all our guests’ requests at very short notice however I believe we did our best on the day as I was present throughout. I have passed on your comments to the girls in the spa who provided your treatments. Apologises once again for not meeting fully with your expectations. Just as a footnote we were investigating your comments but you posted this reply before I could complete them.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

A very comfortable room in this rather unique Timber built hotel set in a very attractive woodland setting at Yorkgate which is on top of a steep rise from Otley. The main building which houses the reception, dining room, bar and lounge is reputably the largest wooden building in England. The food was really excellent -the hotel has been awarded AA rosette standard for many years. Every meal we had was absolutely delicious and very well balanced. We came here last year and will certainly be back very soon. Very good value stay. A very good swimming pool and Spa.

Room Tip: We had a room attached to the main building rather than a wooden chalet in the attactive woodland. This suited us best because it was closer to the main facilities.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for the great comments; it is very refreshing to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. See you again in the near future when you venture over the border again.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

Well I have just come back from a lovely spa break with my mum and sister. The staff were fantastic, couldn't do enough for us, the restaurant was lovely, fab surroundings, spa was relaxing treatments lovely!
We popped into otley for a nice walk round the lovely shops before checking in. We then went to the sa and had our treatments and relaxed round the pool and sunbathed outside by the lake! And popped into the hot tub before getting ready for our lovely meal. Then had a great nights sleep before have our breakfast x
We will def be going back! Def worth a visit

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you very much for the great review I am glad that you had such a lovely with us. See you again soon.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

My daughter recently got married here and we had exclusive use of the hotel. some of us booked to stay the night before, and after we had checked in went to get a bar meal, but were told we could not order food because there was a wedding taking place, which I understand they may have been busy but we were not told this when we checked in. The wedding itself was very good and arranged well and all ran smoothly, the food we had after the wedding was also very good. we had ordered dark blue napkins for the tables to match the colour scheme, but they were not produced and we were told oh they forgot to order them. Other than that we enjoyed the ceremony. unfortunately I now get to the complaints. A lot of the staff were very rude to out guests and told us after the event to not spoil our day. In fact my husband as father of the bride had trouble getting to speak to someone at reception and went back to ask at the bar if he could speak to someone and was told to go back to reception and wait for someone to come back, in fact my son was in the bar near reception at one point in the wedding when he overheard the bar staff moaning about some of our guests. As stated on some of the other reviews some of the rooms could do with an upgrade, but they were clean just very worn. The managers were very nice and helpful as were the staff serving the wedding food, but as for the bar staff and some of the others they definitely could do with a customer care course.
the leisure facilities mainly the pool were terrible and did look as if it needed a good clean. The spa rooms and changing rooms are good, but the pool let's it all down. The food was very good but when we had exclusive use the breakfast the next morning was a limited choice and we were not told that beforehand. So my advice would be visit and eat the food is great but don't expect great customer care. Sadly this did spoil our day, and would make me cautious about recommending having your wedding there which is sad because the setting and grounds are fantastic.

Room Tip: ask for a room in the main block we had room 5 my sister had room 6 and both were nice.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your comments. I have noted your positive points and will react accordingly to the others. I am sorry that the bar staff seemed unhelpful, it is not a comment we have had before, but I will pursue the matter with the team. We do appreciate your feedback and thank you for the time you have taken to post this review.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

Myself and my friend visited the spa as a birthday treat. First impression was of a lovely location and the reception staff were friendly and helpful. Once we located the spa the changing room area was tiny and only bench space for 2 people to put their things down and get changed which led to a queue of people waiting. After a morning gym session we went for lunch in the restaurant. Our meal was lovely once we had sent it back to be warmed up as it was almost cold, but they were very small portion sizes. We ordered a lager and lime and a lager shandy and lime from the bar which was 7 pounds 20. When we questioned why it was so much half a lager was actually only 1 pound eighty but lime was 80p a shot and the tiny bottle of lemonade for the shandy was 2 pounds!!! After lunch we head back to the spa for an afternoon of relaxation. We noticed that the outside jacuzzi had been covered up and when we asked when we would be able to use it we were just told it was closed for maintaince for the rest of the day. We had paid to use ths facility and couldn't. We were a bit taken aback by the pool as the walls were a horrible green colour and really looked like they needed a good clean. We noticed that everyone else in the spa were wearing dressing gown and slippers and we had only been given a towel. My friend went to the spa reception to ask about this and was just told 'oh yes I forgot to give them to you!!!'. We spent the afternoon swimming and relaxing in the sauna, steam room and indoor jacuzzi. We were just about to leave the jacuzzi and start getting ready to head back home when my friend noticed that the silver jewellery we were both wearing had turned a horrible shade of yellow. We were both really upset as the jewellery wasn't cheap jewellery and some of it had great sentimental value. It made us wonder what on earth was in the water as I have visited several spas and never removed my jewellery and it has been absolutely fine. We waited at the spa reception on our way out to speak to someone about our jewellery but there was no one available. We headed to the main hotel reception and when we said what had happened to our jewellery the receptionist said oh yes the water does do that to your jewellery. She said that there were some notices up telling you to remove all jewellery but we went back and checked and there wasn't. She also said we should have been told about our jewellery when we arrived at the spa and to sign a disclaimer which we weren't or didn't. On our way home we had to stop and buy some silver jewellery cleaner which has nearly restored our jewellery back to normal but it is not quiet back to its former glory. I had a lovely day at this spa but that was all down to being with my best friend and therefore was in the best company. In my opinion this spa needs a lot of improvements to be anywhere near in the same class as some of the other 'proper' spas I have previously visited.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for your comments, we are disappointed obviously that you did not completely enjoy your stay with us. The pool seems to be your main concern, let me reassure you that the pool water is the most natural water you can bathe in as it comes from deep within the Yorkshire dales. The green tinge you mention is a naturally occurring phenomenon and is caused by dissolved minerals in the water. However the water is extremely pure and is tested every two hours to ensure the levels are correct. We do have comments about this and there are notices up in the pool area. If customers are concerned then we ask them to speak to one of the Leisure staff.