2,031 results
All reviewshot tubtaster menulog cabinmain buildingoutdoor jacuzzirelaxing breakoverlooking the lakelakeside restaurantleisure facilitiesnight breakcrerar hotelsleeds bradford airportbed and breakfastshort breakblack puddingwedding venueexecutive room
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Myself and my friend visited the spa as a birthday treat. First impression was of a lovely location and the reception staff were friendly and helpful. Once we located the spa the changing room area was tiny and only bench space for 2 people to put their things down and get changed which led to a queue of people waiting. After a morning gym session we went for lunch in the restaurant. Our meal was lovely once we had sent it back to be warmed up as it was almost cold, but they were very small portion sizes. We ordered a lager and lime and a lager shandy and lime from the bar which was 7 pounds 20. When we questioned why it was so much half a lager was actually only 1 pound eighty but lime was 80p a shot and the tiny bottle of lemonade for the shandy was 2 pounds!!! After lunch we head back to the spa for an afternoon of relaxation. We noticed that the outside jacuzzi had been covered up and when we asked when we would be able to use it we were just told it was closed for maintaince for the rest of the day. We had paid to use ths facility and couldn't. We were a bit taken aback by the pool as the walls were a horrible green colour and really looked like they needed a good clean. We noticed that everyone else in the spa were wearing dressing gown and slippers and we had only been given a towel. My friend went to the spa reception to ask about this and was just told 'oh yes I forgot to give them to you!!!'. We spent the afternoon swimming and relaxing in the sauna, steam room and indoor jacuzzi. We were just about to leave the jacuzzi and start getting ready to head back home when my friend noticed that the silver jewellery we were both wearing had turned a horrible shade of yellow. We were both really upset as the jewellery wasn't cheap jewellery and some of it had great sentimental value. It made us wonder what on earth was in the water as I have visited several spas and never removed my jewellery and it has been absolutely fine. We waited at the spa reception on our way out to speak to someone about our jewellery but there was no one available. We headed to the main hotel reception and when we said what had happened to our jewellery the receptionist said oh yes the water does do that to your jewellery. She said that there were some notices up telling you to remove all jewellery but we went back and checked and there wasn't. She also said we should have been told about our jewellery when we arrived at the spa and to sign a disclaimer which we weren't or didn't. On our way home we had to stop and buy some silver jewellery cleaner which has nearly restored our jewellery back to normal but it is not quiet back to its former glory. I had a lovely day at this spa but that was all down to being with my best friend and therefore was in the best company. In my opinion this spa needs a lot of improvements to be anywhere near in the same class as some of the other 'proper' spas I have previously visited.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
chevingm, General Manager at Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2013

Thank you for your comments, we are disappointed obviously that you did not completely enjoy your stay with us. The pool seems to be your main concern, let me reassure you that the pool water is the most natural water you can bathe in as it comes from deep within the Yorkshire dales. The green tinge you mention is a naturally occurring phenomenon and is caused by dissolved minerals in the water. However the water is extremely pure and is tested every two hours to ensure the levels are correct. We do have comments about this and there are notices up in the pool area. If customers are concerned then we ask them to speak to one of the Leisure staff.

Reviewed August 24, 2013

We booked this hotel for 2 nights with spa breaks dinner bed and breakfast with 30min spa treatment.

The location is nice in the middle of no where (without driving) the main areas of the hotel are nice but the toilets need a good clean! Other than that really good!

The resturant was amazing the most fantastic food!! Evening meal and breakfast! I would say like a 4/5 star. Outside the resturant the tables never got wiped ashtrays never changed and glasses not collected (and there was also a wedding so quite a few people!).

The spa the treatments were excellent but as I've read on here I'd also have to agree not very clean! The tiles all in the pool were green and the water looked a little yellow! The girls that worked there though were lovely!!

The ROOM please note do not book a standard room, there are only two in the hotel That we could find unfortunately we got one! The minute we walked in we tried to upgrade but the hotel was full! We called it the shoe box! Very very small low ceilings all in wood.
the door to get in was very narrow and the bathroom was so tiny with the worlds smallest shower and bath! Anyone one over a size 14 would struggle!! The bathroom and tiles were very dirty looking and very tired! The toilet wouldn't flush properly (also the same in the main hotel toilets) the bed was very uncomfortable we decided to have our evening meal on the second night and drive home rather than sleep in there again!

We paid a lot of money for two nights just under £400! You can stay in a 5star for that! id say the room was only worth £40 ish per night!! If you are going to stay here don't get a standard room.

if your staying near by the resturant is amazing and well worth a visit!

• Stayed: August 2013

Thank you for your review. I apologise that your stay with us was not up to your expectations on this occasion. However I have passed on your other comments to the rest of the staff regarding the food and spa treatments.

Reviewed August 24, 2013

Stayed here with my Husband for 1 night with the Groupon deal, 6 course taster meal and wine. We arrived early at 1:30 and headed for the reception to see if we coulld check in. The room was not ready so we headed over to the pool area.

The pool area was fine, fairly clean and a relaxing start to our night away from the kids.

We then went over to the bar area to get drinks and a light snack. We were told there would be no chance of getting food with the wedding being on!! I'm sure it would have not been too much an inconvenience for them to make 1 bowl of chips?

We then headed over to check in, we were given room no 19 right at the back and upstairs, the room itself was nice but very small, very minor faults like cobwebs on the bedside lamp and a dead wasp on the window ledge, also the light did not work on the entrance to the room and the iron did not work.

We went down for our 6 courses taster meal, we had to ask for the free wine. The food was very nice and fancy, it started off very quick between each course which was great but I think we were forgotten about after the main meal, 30 min await for the dessert and another 30 min wait for the cheese course, which was awfully disappointing, 1 cracker each with the tiniest square of cheese i've ever seen and quince jelly.

We were rather looking forward to breakfast and ordered 1 item each from the hot breakfast to start, My Husband ordered the scrambled egg and salmon, myself the french toast with bacon and syrup which was very nice. We then hoped to order cooked breakfasts but were told we could only order 1 item each from the hot breakfast selection?? This was not mentioned when ordering.

Overall a nice stay at a good price but with some faults.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us at Chevin. I have spoken to our heads of department and we have taken note of your points. I am sorry that you did not totally enjoy your stay with us on this occasion, as we do have many redeeming features and excellent guest experiences.

Reviewed August 24, 2013

Stayed on a groupon at this hotel and got a great deal. The surroundings are beautiful and the hotel lovely. The lodges looked really nice although we didn't go in one. The restaurant looks out over the lake and serves excellent food. The bar and restaurant were a little pricey but it can be that way in hotels, I would recommend half board as would be more economical. A lovely peaceful place to stay.

Room Tip: rooms looking over lake are good.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your kind response. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

My cousin and I just spent 2 days at here on a Rejuvenation Break. After reading the reviews on trip advisor I was really sceptical of this place and wasn't looking forward to my trip at all. When we arrived we were given an executive twin room (room 1) which was really nice and very clean. In hindsight, the room although cosy was very dark and the small spot lights did little to light the room, pretty bad if you wanted to sit in the room during the day. Also we seemed to be underneath an office of some sort and all you could hear all day was furniture being moved around and the phone was ringing constantly. Furthermore our corner room did not have a patio space like other rooms on the hall and was very close to outside public space so you might want to shut the curtains as everyone can see inside. One final qualm about the whole place was the complimentary WiFi which did not work, I use and iPhone and a Kindle and couldn't pick it up anywhere in the hotel, either the room or the common rooms. If your are taking a phone, the signal of the area is a bit dodgy, lack of phone signal didn't bother me as I was there to relax not play on my phone.

The food was amazing, we had the 6 course taster menu, the first night the menu was rather fish heavy but the second night food was brilliant, the venison is to die for! Breakfast is a fab selection and is presented really well. No issues with catering here whatsoever.

The package itself was also great and the treatments were really really good, I felt very relaxed and calm and the spa workers are very professional. I had read other guests were dissatisfied with the pool area, the pool itself could have done with a bit of a clean but it was fine to use.

Room Tip: Room 1 can be noisy overhead!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
chevingm, General Manager at Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2013

Thank you for your review; we do appreciate your comments. I will have the housekeeper look at the lighting levels in room one to see if we can make improvements, I am sure we can. I have passed on your other comments to the staff in the hotel. Thank you once again.
The Staff and Management at Chevin