“Atmospheric setting quirky buildings”

Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Otley
east yorkshire
“Atmospheric setting quirky buildings”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Set in a lovely wood with lakes and walks, looked very atmospheric in the mist. Quirky log cabin buildings, built 1983 and probably not much changed since, you are unlikely to stay in many hotels like this. Dimly lit, a little more attention to minor maintenance would be good. Service good, we only slept and had breakfast, which was good. Very convenient for Leeds Bradford airport, which means some plane noise. For the same price as the Premier Inn nearby it was good value. Make sure you book online as the central booking office will try to charge more and when they offer to put you through to the hotel the phone is not answered.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
chevingm, General Manager at Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Dear Flavia,
Thank you for your feedback this is much appreciated.
On some occasions we do have increased numbers of callers however I have adjusted our phone system so there are now double the amount of available lines. My apologies for any inconvenience.

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon.
Jurgen Kruijt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (448)
Market Drayton, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Lovely place to stay, staff are very friendly and very helpful. However, meals and drinks are horrendously expensive with beer at almost £4 a pint and a simple sirloin steak at £22, to eat the standard advertised menu is £32.95 a head, not including even a glass of wine and I believe a bottle of water was £4 - ridiculous, so we went to the village of Otley in the evenings which is just down the road. Recommend the Black Bull (excellent welcome) for both drink and eats and Rose and Crown for eats.

The Spa is very good, with outside and inside Jacuzzis/pool/steam and sauna, overall a nice stay, we took it as a 'Virgin Experience' break for two nights for the two of us, certainly not worth the standard asking price advertised though! Will not use it again unless their prices drop drastically.

Room Tip: Take plenty of money if you intend to eat and drink there!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
chevingm, General Manager at Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Dear Kes,
Thank you for your feedback this is much appreciated.
Our pricing is carefully planned and we often find that our pricing is below that of our competition.
Great that yo enjoyed the spa facilities and had time to visit the local area.

Many thanks,
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 17, 2012

We stayed at Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa as we had recently got engaged and I had seen it as a wedding venue, also as it was my Fiancé's birthday, not too far from home.
We were greeted at reception, given the room key, asked if we wanted to have dinner in the restaurant too. I was sure I had booked just bed and breakfast, but thought we would eat at the restaurant then we could have drinks in the bar and relax.
Had a late lunch at the bar at 3:30 after we'd checked in and was amazed at being charged over £6 for a sandwich each, which they forgot to put the mozzarella in at first, so sent us another one this time with cheese. The bar prices were pretty high, so we didn't have more than one drink each.
I booked a couples massage, which was fantastic, the spa area was really nice, my partner went in the pool/sauna/steam room & the Jacuzzi. (I didn't want to get wet as I'd just had my hair done so didn't go in!)
We got ready for dinner and sat by the window, as it was really dark you can't really see the lake but you can see the tiny lights which looks lovely.
We were a little amazed by the price of the dinner menu, and not one single vegetarian option, so we started to feel a little disheartened, as the waiter came to take our order I asked if there was anything we could have, he advised there was one option of a med veg risotto with goats cheese, so we opted for that and a waldorf side salad. The risotto was the smallest portion, we joked about how we wondered where the rest of it was...but very tasty.
After seeing the prices of desert we decided to make it a night & went to pay. At the till we were advised there was no cost for our dinner as it was included!! (no one had told us)
So we ended up feeling pretty stupid having missed out of starters and dessert as the hotel room alone had cost me £150 already.
The sleep was fine, room was nice, bathroom very dated but with the wood panelling but then it also felt cosy, but at 6am the aeroplanes started to take off from LBA close by so I was awake from then on. Breakfast was a selection of cold, and choice of hot from the menu, again no full veg breakfast option so we both had eggs Florentine, again very delicious but just half a muffin each (again where was the rest of it)
Checked out at 10:30am & was shocked to be charged for the 'bottled water' we ordered in the restaurant for dinner at nearly £4, which I was told was from a 'special filter tap' which to me seems very against trading standards rules, but never the less I paid anyway.
Won't be booking this as a wedding venue.

1 Thank Lotsoflovelle
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your comments, this is much appreciated.
Our prices are carefully set to be in line with our competition and often below that.
I appreciate the comments you have made for the spa and thank you for this, in regards to the sandwich in the bar I will discuss this with my head chef as we should have done better, my apologies.
Our menus are carefully selected but we are aware that some guests may prefer an alternative and was pleased to hear that my restaurant staff offered this for you and was well received. Similar goes for breakfast and thank you for your comment on the Eggs Florentine, a vegetarian option that we have added to our menus.
Off course I would have been delighted to have to opportunity to discuss your comments directly and would also been able to tell you about the great wedding venue we are.
Feel free to contact me direct at the hotel if you would like to do this.

With thanks
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We cannot commend and recomend the Chevin Country park Hotel enough, Sue and Hayley the wedding planners exceeded our expectations in organising our fantastic wedding day celebrations. The environment and atmosphere of the hotel makes it so special all our guests commented positively about the whole experience.
The log cabins in the forest next to the lake make this venue perfect for civil wedding celebrations. Thank you once again.

Room Tip: The outdoor log cabins with the outside hot tubs are fantastic sat in this in the forest looking up...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Karen and Andrew,
Thank you so much for your kind comments and for allowing us to be part of your special day.
We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

nottingham
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Me and my husband spent a night at the chevin on the 12th oct 2012. The staff were friendly the grounds are lovely and the room was very cosy. Hot tub and steam room were a real treat and the breakfast topped it off. Only downside was that we had to go home. I would definately visit again.

1 Thank kara s
Dear Kara,

Thank you very much for your great feedback, this is much appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Yorkshire Dales National Park, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 10, 2012

just come back from my 4th visit! managed to get a good deal with the hotel (phoning and asking the hotel direct) (classic britain also do good deals) for a group of 20+ ladies on a hen night. we stayed DDB. I recommended the woodland rooms/lodges (as opposed to the rooms in the hotel) and EVERYONE was delighted. the rooms are spotlessly clean, meals were without fault, service VERY efficient and without a negative comment out of a large group speaks for itself. hence it being my 4 visit. my friend is now in the process of organizing her birthday at the hotel. The spa, proximity to leeds city centre, the hospitality of the staff (the log fires!!) etc etc was great. having stayed at many hotels/ spa breaks this offers the best experience for the money and for me it's only an hour from home so no doubt I will be returning!

Room Tip: I love the rooms in the woods (cabins/ lodges) highly recommend these compared to rooms within the h...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear ladies,

Skipton, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 8, 2012

This was our first time here and we stopped for the one night with a spa day the next day.
A lovely warm welcome on arrival by the recepcionist and the manager.
We were in the wharefdale suite (room number 5) and it was spacious,clean and a big comfy bed which we struggled to get out of in the morning as we were too cosy!
A lovely view of the lake too.
A pleasant evening meal in the lakeside restaurant,very tasty food,my partner had the taster menu and was very impressed where i paid a supplement to have the other menu.
We ended up spending two hours in the restaurant though as we seemed to wait for the fifth and sixth course but it was busy so we didnt make a fuss.

Our spa day was nice and relaxing and the two girls who gave us our massages were very good!
our half hour massage went far too quick.
We loved the outdoor hot tub with it being october too we got lucky with it being a sunny day.

Overall a pleasant and enjoyable stay and we were sad to leave.

We have recommended it to all our family and friends and will definetly booking a stay again in the future,with a extra night or two next time!

Dear Johnny,

Jurgen Kruijt
Also consider these accommodations in or near Otley
Oulton Hall & Spa
Rudding Park Hotel
Rudding Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Follifoot
Britannia Leeds Bradford Airport

Been to Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!