“Disappointing”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Otley
Wakefield
“Disappointing”
Reviewed March 20, 2012

I stayed here for one night only as a special treat on my birthday. As we have stayed before i was really looking forward to it and was excited. On arrival everything was lovely, the lady on reception was vey helpful and polite.

The evening came and we had the 6 course taster menu. The head chap whom was in the restaurant that night was rude and arrogant to say the least. We had our table booked for 8.30pm. When we arrived he said he had no knowledge of our booking and just kept shaking his head, i know the lady on reception wrote it down because i was there when she did it so i dont know what list of guests he was looking at. Any way after standing there for a few minutes whilst he mumbled and shook his head he said he would "try to fit us in".

Once we were seated he asked us what we would like to drink so we had a bottle of wine which ddnt turn uo so we had to ask again. After a while the taster menu started arriving, All i can say is i found it uninteresting and not very nice. Im not a veggie but the only meat options were pork and sea bass, as i didnt like either i had to go for the butternut squash risotto which tasted like rice pudding.

The dessert was heavy and sickly and i found the whole dining experience lacking. All throughout this i found the restaurant supervisor smarmy, arrogant and extremely lacking in customer service.

I normally love coming to the Chevin but I have to say having also a restless nights sleep on a hard lumpy mattress in a very narrow double bed in a red hot room (even though we turned the heating off) I would think twice about staying.

Disappointing to say the least...sorry.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JennyandDanWakefield

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (452)
pretty village, north yokshire
Reviewed March 20, 2012

Found and fab deal and went DBB. I felt like I'd been transported away from my real life. Just what I want in a short break. Tiny pool with good depth, so I managed some exercises rather than lengths. Lovely spa pool outside amongst the trees and next to the hotel fishing pond. Fab hot sauna - marvelous for aching joints:) Chalet room is semi-detached and perhaps needs some serious sound insualting. We heard the keylock opening, shoes being taken off, mobile phone keypad clicking, every word loud and clear. That aside the food is fabulous, in a bespoke setting, even if this is corporate food - it did not taste like it, nor did we feel like we were eating it. the chef had taken care both with our breakfasts and evening meals. An eating experience I want to repeat. Just waiting for a bargain to return.

Room Tip: Pay to stay in the main hotel or book a lodge suite + the room next door if you want privacy! Lodges...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mad-anna69
, General Manager at Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
Dear Mad - Anna,

Thank you for your comments and was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.
I am sorry if you felt the log cabin are slightly intrusive in noise from other guests but do give a great feeling to the surroundings.

For our latest offers feel free to visit our website were we regularly update any last minute offers.

With thanks

Reviewed March 17, 2012

We stayed for one night and were rather disappointed overall. Our room was tiny with dingy lighting giving it quite a depressing feel. Although I did quite like the log cabin feel the finish was poor and the fixtures of poor quality. There was no feeling of luxury and at £155 for a double room I think that's what you would expect.

This was further emphasised when the 80's era shower only brought forth tepid water! We then went down to breakfast and discovered that we would have to join the end of a substantial queue. We left it!

Very average without the average price tag although the venue was nice.

1 Thank Helenokane
chevingm, General Manager at Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 19, 2012
Dear Mrs O'Kane.

Thank you for your review. I must say how dissapointed I was to read this. I do feel it would be correct to point out that your rate was £55 and not £155 and also that your company was adviced that due to limited availability we only a 2 smaller rooms available.

In regards to breakfast I can appreciate that waiting is never ideal, having investigated the staffing leves these were correct but unfortunatly we many guests arriving at the same time sometimes a small delay is possible. We will keep a close eye on this to ensure this is minimised when possible.

Again my thanks.

Reviewed March 16, 2012

I took my girlfriend away for the night for mothers day on the groupon deal. Check in not till 3 but the receptionist let us check in at 2 as we was early. Stayed in,log,65. Very clean. Pool, sauna etc was also included and we made the most of it. Food was excellent in the evening also was the breakfast, service was ok, only down fall of the experience was when we arrived you have to swipe your credit card (incase you steal something or trash the room I presume) the lady who checked us in said "we won't take any money off ,this"BUT when we left, I went to get petrol and guess what.... My card declined, luckily my girlfriend had her card on her so managed to pay for it. When I went the bank to get a statement I noticed £50 had gone off my account. I looked,into this and realised the hotel had taken it. I rang the hotel to see why and the receptionist explained that they take,it on arrival then put it,back when you depart (fair enough if that is,the policy) but this was not explained on arrival. But moan over.... All in,all it,was a very nice stay. And we will definitely be staying there again.

2 Thank The pit S
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 12, 2012

Stayed here for 1 night for an 'escape from it all' spa break which included 1hr treatment, bed, breakfast and evening meal of a 7 course taster menu. The staff at the spa were lovely and the pool, jacuzzi & hot tub were nice and quiet, despite it being a Sunday. The bedroom and bathroom were both large but in need of some updating, especially the bathroom, altouth they were both very clean. Also the electrical (PAT) testing sticker on the plug of the kettle said that the testing was last done in February 2011 and couldn't find any other electrical items with any stickers on at all. Beds very comfortable although unable to find the extra pillows which were supposed to be in the wardrobe. Also unable to connect to the free wifi despite it stating in the room info that it was available. The bar and restaurant staff are all very friendly and helpful and thoroughly enjoyed the taster menu. The restaurant runs very efficiently and there was never a wait for anything. I would suggest perhaps the some of the signage could be a little better for getting around the grounds and to the spa. Overall a very relaxing experience for a great price.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Debbie S
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 5, 2012

we held our wedding reception at chevin lodge as we are local to the area. perfect secluded location. great staff. everything ran like clockwork. the perfect venue for the perfect day. we are staying again this weekend as it is our first anniversary.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Graeme W
chevingm, General Manager at Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 9, 2012
Dear Greame,

Thank you for your review and I am delighted that you have returned to the hotel again.

A wedding is such a special day and we thank you for being part of this.

With thanks,

Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 4, 2012

We got a fantastic deal via Groupon. The 7 course taster meal was absolutely fantastic. The room was ok if you like the wood look. It was small but cosy with excellent views over the lake, it must be stunning in good weather or snow. Unfortunately there was a wedding on and all we could hear was the bass of the music until midnight even though our room was at the other end of the hotel. A great deal but we'd be very disappointed if we'd paid the full price for the room (£155). Good service with friendly staff.

1 Thank ajwbabe
chevingm, General Manager at Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 26, 2012
Dear Ajwbabe,

Thank you for your feedback this is much appreciated.
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us, wish indeed is excellent value.
What we have done is reduce the playing time to midnight and hope that this is acceptable.

Again my thanks,

Jurgen Kruijt
Also consider these accommodations in or near Otley
Oulton Hall & Spa
Rudding Park Hotel
Rudding Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Follifoot
Britannia Leeds Bradford Airport

Been to Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!