“Christmas break”

Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Otley
Reviewed January 2, 2012

Well worth the money for a 3 night package. Excellent cuisine. Good location. Friendly staff. Good sized bedrooms. Would stay again.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
chevingm, General Manager at Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2012

Dear Clare,

Many thanks indeed for your feedback and it is always great to hear that guests enjoy thei rstay with us.

Again our thanks and we very much look forward to welcoming you back next year.

Reviewed January 1, 2012

We stayed last year for the Xmas package but we both enjoyed it so much that we decided to make a week of it this year. We were not to be disappointed - as I think it even surpassed last year!
Jurgen and his staff could not have been more welcoming, friendly and helpful. Nothing was ever too much bother for any of them. They even sorted me and my laptop out!
The staff on reception even found room to fit in my daughter and her family (a last minute change of plan) and also had a present for my Grandson - as well as the obligatory mince pie for him to leave out for Santa!! A present and card awaited us also in our room. A lovely and quite unexpected surprise.
The Christmas Eve meal was made special by the beautiful singing of Jill Ryder – I’d forgotten how wonderful a singer she is and such a lovely person with plenty of time for everyone.
Christmas Day lunch was fantastic - how the kitchen staff get everything cooked just right and served hot is nothing less than a miracle - given the number for which they have to cater! This was followed in the evening by a sumptuous hot/cold buffet with plenty to suit everyone. We went along fairly late (too replete from lunch! Lol) and the tables were still groaning!
We stayed in room 1 as my husband is disabled – it is near to Reception, the bar and the Dining room – but in fact most of the rooms are very accessible - as many are on ground level. Our room had patio doors and a lovely seating area overlooking the Lake. Disabled parking is just outside the Main reception door and this was much appreciated.
Boxing Day saw us over to Haworth for the Worth valley steam railway mince pie excursion and this was truly memorable. This is where they filmed the ‘The Railway Children’. We followed this with a trip to the Bronte parsonage and then down the old cobbled street. Back to Chevin for afternoon tea and more first class dining in the evening.
There are so many places to visit - such as Skipton castle and canal barges –Holmfirth (Last of the Summer Wine fame) all within easy travelling distance.
If you don’t feel like going off the premises then the Spa and treatment facilities is a must. Very relaxing and detoxing. The pool .although not big, is more than adequate along with the hot tub and Jacuzzi.
I was also pleased to see that dogs were welcome and came across some very well- behaved , much loved companions.
We really hope to return next year especially if they the wonderful singer and excellent service that we had this year awaits us.

Room Tip: rooms overlooking the lake have a good view
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank collielover7

Dear guest,

Thank you so much indeed for this indepth review of the hotel and the Christmas package you enjoyed with us. I was delighted that we where able to help you to fit the rest of the family in the hotel making Christmas even more special. If there was one let down is might have been the lack of snow but then again thats is something for next year.

Again our thanks and we very much look forward to welcoming you back next year, or sooner.

Reviewed January 1, 2012

family of three stayed 14th november . Top class spotless clean stayed in room 5 bridal suite, plenty of space, very comfy bed, view of lake excellent, used all spa and found it probably one of the best I have been in. Food was the 7 course taster menu and it exceeded expectations, what a lovely place, we will return for sure.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family

Dear Susan,

Many thanks indeed, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and will pass your comments on to our head chef.

Again our thanks and we very much look forward to welcoming you back next year.

Reviewed December 27, 2011

We have just returned home after a spur of the moment booking for the 4 day Christmas package, it turned out to be excellent value for money and we didn't want to leave. The hotel is set in lovely surroundings, the food was excellent but the best thing of all was the friendliness of the staff, mindful that we were away from our home and family for the entire break, they made us most welcome, nothing was too much trouble to ensure we had a good time.
The gymnasium, pool and other facilities were all part of the package and all were maintained to a high standard with no problems using any of the equipment whenever we wanted.
Please ensure that our thanks are conveyed to all the staff including the chef who produced excellent meals throughout with particular emphasis on the spectacular buffet on Christmas night.
We have no complaints whatsoever and are seriously considering booking nearer the time for next years Christmas package on the condition that Jurgen is the bingo caller again, I have never witnessed anything quite like it before...great fun.
Happy New Year to all the staff and thanks for giving us such a good time.

Dear Chris,

Many thanks indeed, however I'm still not sure if I should become a bingo caller.....then again.
I was delighted to read that you and your wife enjoyed yourself so much. I recall that the log fire was a prefered haven for the two of you.

Reviewed December 20, 2011

We have just returned from the Hotel today and felt we should give an honest opinion about our two night stay.On arrival Sunday afternoon we were greeted by a very helpful receptionist who informed us of everything we wanted to know and gave us full instructions to how to get to our room which was a log cabin which was accessed by a covered walkway.On entering our room we found everything to our liking it was lovely and warm and very clean.We had previously booked dinner in the Lakeside Restaurant but firstly had a drink in the Bar and I enjoyed a pint of handpulled Ilkley Gold which was excellent.We were greeted in the restaurant and shown to our table by a helpful waiter who informed us of our dining options.We had the Taster Menu which was well presented and absolutely delicious.
Every member of staff we came across were efficient but more over were very friendly.
We will certainly be visiting the Hotel again and we will be informing our friends of the excellent levels of service.

3  Thank Jaybeejay46
chevingm, General Manager at Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2011

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your review and am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.
As with the local beer you enjoyed we operate a similar approach to our food items and being bless with the great Yorkshire larder this is a true benefit for us.

Again my thanks and wish you a merry Christmas

Reviewed December 20, 2011

After a long drive in not so great conditions, and getting stuck behind the school run traffic for ages, we finally arrived at Chevin. We were starving, having been working all morning and then straight onto the M62 but all we could get to eat were cold sandwiches, which we waited around half an hour for. We then decided to treat ourselves to a massage each but the spa was fully booked so we used the spa facilities instead. The outdoor hot tub was freezing cold and the chlorine in the jacuzzi was too strong and we both ended up with sore eyes. The steam room and sauna were nice though, and the pool, if a little small.

The room wasn't great - it had a damp/musty smell which they had attempted to mask with air freshener. The bathroom was huge but the grout was grotty and it wasn't very welcoming - more clinical if anything. I know we got a special deal but I expected a little more given the normal price of the rooms.

The bar was a little depressing, with Christmas music on a loop and a grumpy bartender so we ended up taking pre-dinner drinks to our room for a bit of atmosphere. We had the taster meal in the evening which was very nice, although I think I would have preferred to join the Christmas parties next door in the main restaurant - we had to whisper so the other diners couldn't hear us, it was so quiet. The waiter in the restaurant was amazing though, nothing was too much trouble and he was very enthusiastic and an all-round nice chap.

Breakfast the next day was another disappointment. After waiting for 20 minutes to order (I think the staff expected my husband to join me but I had told them I was alone) I chose the poached eggs on toast and they just tasted like vinegar which had also seeped into the toast. I wish I'd stayed in bed and not bothered.

All in all, it was disappointing and it was a birthday treat for my husband. I don't think we'll be going back which is a shame - I guess the purpose of these 'deals' is to make a good impression so people will return and pay full price but sadly this didn't work in our case.

Room Tip: We had a view from our bathroom window of some trees and the road. Try to get a lake view.
1  Thank feebee33

Dear Feebee,

Many thanks for your feedback and must say how dissapointed I was to read your review.
Unfortunatly at certain times there is limited cover in the kitchen, however we will always have options available to offer guests sandwiches.

In regards to the spa I'm sorry that you could not enjoy a massage, our spa is very busy and would always recommend guests to book in advance to avoid dissapointment. I have also noted your comments regarding the pool and will discuss this with the leisure club staff. Our water is quality is checked every 2 hours and has an automated pumping system to ensure good quality swimming water.

Thank you for your comments regarding the restaurant and the staff, I have already mentioned the poached eggs to my head chef to resolve.

Again my thanks and wish you a wonderful Christmas.

Reviewed December 19, 2011

We arrived and as they were not fully booked they upgraded us to the honeymoon suite. Absolutly stunning. The staff are very helpful and are great at dealing with the most awkward customers like myself. Food intolerances and everything else. They catered for me and made sure I enjoyed all 7 courses. The food was stunning. The manager, Sebastian, was so lovely and would do anything for anyone. I would highly recommend this hotel and will most definately be revisiting.

• Stayed: December 2011

Dear Elocing,

Thank you for your review and it was just amazing to read your feedback.
I was so pleased that my staff offered you an upgrade free of charge. We take great pleasure in ensuring that our guests enjoy their stay and making this offer clearly made a difference.

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon and have a wonderful christmas.

Jurgen Kruijt

Also consider these accommodations in or near Otley
Hollins Hall Marriott Hotel & Country Club
#51 of 87 in Leeds
Weetwood Hall Hotel
Weetwood Hall Hotel
#32 of 87 in Leeds

Been to Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!