“If you go out in the woods today . . . .”

Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Otley
Reviewed May 21, 2011

My friend and I stayed here on a Groupon deal (3 course dinner including a large glass of wine, bed & breakfast and a 30 minute treatment each - all for £95) and we had an excellent time - we certainly got value for money.
We thought that we would possibly be treated differently from the wedding and conference guests that were also staying in the hotel but we certainly did not. Everyone we encountered were very professional and extremely polite and courteous - we could not fault the staff at all.
We were given a semi-detached lodge cabin which was a short walk away from the main hotel. I was a little surprised that two young ladies were sited in a lodge that was farthest away but having settled in and had a walk about, we felt very safe and as the weather was on our side not too concerned that we would have to walk back from the restaurant late at night.
The cabin itself was quite compact but as we were only staying overnight this would not be an issue - it was very clean, warm and well equipped. There were a a couple of very minor issues which we would like to note as we are both in the service industry and we regard negative feedback as an indication of how we can improve matters :
1. There was only one glass on the hospitality tray and so one of us had to use a cup for our pre-dinner drinks - I am sure this was just an oversight.
2. There was no soap in the bathroom - we had to use shower gel to wash hands. I have seen the same in a number of hotels recently so maybe down to suppliers ? !
3. Having looked at the Crerar website, the other hotels in the chain are in Scotland and that would explain the "Highland" toiletries, bisuits etc. It would have been nice to see local products instead, for example Yorkshire/Taylors' tea, but can understand the branding. I am from Yorkshire hence my comment !!!
4. There were only two plug sockets next to the dressing table (& only mirror outside the bathroom), these were both used for the TV and tuner and so you could not have the TV whilst your friend/partner is drying his/her hair. Not a problem for us as were were not interested in watching the TV.
The menu for our deal had a choice of 3 starters, main courses and desserts so perfectly acceptable for a one-night stay. All courses were beautifully presented and very tasty and cannot fault the meal which was priced at £29.95 for 3 courses, especially when we had only paid £47.50 each for the whole deal !!! If you couldn't find anything to eat off this set menu, then there was an a le carte menu to choose from instead, with supplements for those on deals.
Thank you for a lovely stay, we only wished we'd bought two vouchers so that we could come again on such a great deal. However, we will stay again as it is ideally situated (about mid way between our homes) for the two of us to meet.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
chevingm, General Manager at Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2011

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your feedback and it looks like you really enjoyed your stay with us. It was the first time we ran this offer and it is great that it was the right decision for our guests and the hotel.
In regards to your room I will speak to my housekeeping department as the glass clearly is an oversight. Unfortunately the shampoo is indeed a supply problem. We have recently changed to more luxury brand and are waiting for the next delivery this coming week.
I also noted your comments regarding the Yorkshire tea - products. In the hotel we are keen to promote local produce and do so often in our menu's (Nidderdale Lamb); however we are also very proud as a company of our Scottish heritage and always like to find a mixture of the two.

Again my thanks and look forward to seeing your next time.

Jurgen Kruijt

Write a ReviewReviews (1,916)

Reviewed May 17, 2011

We booked the hotel through the Groupon offer, and given the mixed reviews here, I must admit to spending most of our stay mentally writing my review.
Anyway, overall, it was a pleasant stay. The hotel displayed three AA stars and I would say that was a fair assessment. However, there were a few issues.

The hotel had apparently suffered some kind of power failure a couple of days prior to our visit, which had some knock on effects. The sauna was out of action (although the steam room was in full working order?), and the TV in the gym had blown. Both fairly minor points, but I would have thought that, given this is an establishment taking paying guests, that they would have pulled out all the stops to remedy these problems within 24 hrs at most. (Our stay was on a Friday night meaning that the power failure would have occurred mid week when plenty of sparkys are available).

We stayed in the Wensleydale suite - one of the log cabins. Two bedrooms, one bathroom, large kitchen / lounge area. No complaints with the cleanliness. A bigger TV would have been nice, but again, a minor point. The biggest problem was the fact that it is not a detached cabin. Bedroom no 63 is attached - it is literally just an en-suite bedroom, that can be used as a third bedroom for the main Wensleydale suite via an adjoining door.
Unfortunately for us, another couple were occupying it for the night - the walls are paper thin, and we could easily hear conversations and their TV, and obviously they would have been able to hear us. Why was proper soundproofing not part of the building specification?
We immediately went back to reception to request a move, but the hotel was full due to a wedding, so we ended up sleeping in the 'spare' twin bedroom as the master was adjoining bedroom 63. Again, why put the master adjoining the next room when the walls are so obviously paper thin? And the beds weren't especially comfortable either.

We'd booked a meal in the restaurant, and overall, the food certainly punched above it's weight for a three star. However, (again), we understood that an a la carte menu would be available - it wasn't. Meaning that our main courses were limited to chicken, fish or veggie option. Not inspiring, even though in the event, my rainbow trout was very nicely cooked and presented.
My wife cajoled the waitress into summoning up a steak (we figured that with a wedding going on, that there must be some on the premises), so I guess that was a nice touch. But it would have been nicer if it had been offered at the point when we asked for the a la carte. My wife did say that the steak was fantastic though.
Again, just little things rankled. Having to ask for a wine cooler for the bottle of white wine, main course plates not cleared from our table for at least 30 mins. (A long time to wait for dessert), but the food was good enough to make allowances.

Only other complaint came in the morning - again another minor one, but they all add up. We'd swung by reception to pick up our morning paper that we'd ordered - the lady on reception was dealing with somebody in front of us. As they moved away, the phone rang. She acknowledged our presence, and then answered the phone......
Customers that have waited patiently and are stood in front of you, should ALWAYS come first !
Either make sure that the phone diverts elsewhere after a number of rings, or let them phone back.

Anyway, as per my title, a bit of a mixed bag.
If we'd paid full price, my review would have been far more scathing, but for the money, and given the three star status, then it wasn't too bad. Just a few little tweaks would have made it far more pleasurable.

The devil is always in the detail.

2  Thank Skipoet2
chevingm, General Manager at Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2011

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to review our hotel as this is much appreciated.
I am sorry that you encountered some difficulties during your stay. Indeed the hotel had a large power cut that affected the wider area and as a result many pieces of equipment were damaged. Immediate action was indeed taken with the leisure club being available for guests the following day. Unfortunately the TV and Sauna control unit were broken and required replacement. These have now been ordered and working.
The Wensleydale suite indeed is a beautiful cabin and I appreciate your feedback on the sound proofing.
Thank you also on your comments regarding the quality of the food and the politeness of my waitress in offering your wife an alternative.

Again my thanks for your feedback

Reviewed May 15, 2011

Booked via Groupon and was really impressed with the staff and location. Stayed 1 night, location great and staff very friendly. The food, dinner and breakfast was very well presented and the service was excellent. Included in the price was a massage which was excellent, spa facilites good although the Sauna was out of order but steam room, hot tub and pool lovely. The evening meal was excellent and the hot breakfast bufffet plentiful.
We stayed in a lodge suprised at the size of the room and bathroom very large. For the price we paid no complaints.

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your kind words and i'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back.
My apologies for the sauna being out of order, after a large power cut we have had to replace the control unit and this unfortunatly took its time. However I'm pleased to say that this is again fully operational.

Again my thanks,

Reviewed May 10, 2011

arriving at the chevin we were pleasentley surprised at the size of our room as large bedroom and bathroom which could do with some maintenance but the very large bed was two singles pushed together and the bedding didnt fit properley the beds were VERY uncomfortable as you could feel every bump and ive had a better nights sleep camping with the airbed deflating we were also outside the delivery area of what i presume were the kitchens we ate at the resteraunt on the first night and the food was generally very good though my husbands beef was overcooked despiye saying it came pink my chicken was beautifully cooked but would have been nice if veg had accompanied it.The second night we just got a snack and went to bed early to try get some sleep as shattered this was a big mistake as the people in the next room had brought a dog which yapped for an hour before my husband went to reception to complain he was told it would be sorted but alas after half an hour and nothing had been done at 8.45pm he returned and was told but they are just having there sweets the receptionist then offered an upgrade as we were checking out the next morning there was no point.now ive stopped complaining the other receptionist who checked us in was friendley and welcoming the swimming pool area was pleasent and we enjoyed a couple of pleasent hours there relieving the tension of the beds the resteraunt staff were efficient especially the young lady on breakfast duty both mornings who worked especially hard ,we had booked through booking .com on a special offer i dont know that i would stay again unless i had a much better bed

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
chevingm, General Manager at Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2011

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to write you review of the hotel. It is very much appreciated.
I have noted your comments regarding the restaurant and will discuss these with my head chef to ensure the we can resolve these issues emmediatly. Regarding the additional vegetables these are indeed available and are listed as side orders on the menu.

I'm very sorry that you had an uncomfortable night sleep. The hotel has an active plan in place in replacing bedding when required and I will ask my head housekeeper to action your room to ensure future comfort. In respect to the dog this is always difficult, due to our stunning surrounding guests do bring their pets with them. In this occassion we indeed spoke to the guest to advice them of your problem.

Again my thanks for your feedback,

Reviewed May 9, 2011

Had a nights stay on a saturday night so the hotel was quite busy with a wedding and a hen party, however the staff were very friendly and helpful and the room was ready for us to check in as soon as we arrived. The room was clean and warm but was so small I felt quite claustrophobic and had to have the window open all the time and as this looked onto the car park it wasn't the most peaceful! If staying here I would make sure you request a room with a lake view as these are much more spacious.
The pool, sauna and outdoor hot tub were lovely, we had a groupon voucher so should have had a spa treatment but they were fully booked so got a free bottle of wine instead.
The 3 course dinner was excellent and the service was first class.
Breakfast was also excellent with a good choice.
All in all a good nights stay and with the voucher good value for money had a paid the full room rate and the extra for dinner I feel it would have been over priced especially with the room we were assigned.

• Stayed: May 2011

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your review and It is great to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Indeed some of the rooms facing the lake are slightly larger, this is partly due to being either family rooms or Executive rooms.

Thank you also for your comments regarding the spa facilities and it is woderfull that you have enjoyed all the improvements we have made.

Looking forward to seeing you again,

Reviewed May 8, 2011

Had a lovely time at Chevin, the staff are fabulous ( attentive, polite, helpful).
We had a Grpupon offer and they made us very welcome. We stayed in the actual hotel (as opposed to one of the lodges) and it was small (cosy?) and warm and clean.
The meal has to be one of the best meals I have eaten in a while- beautifully presented and delicious-well done chef!!
Spa. pool, sauna and steam room all fab and accommodating.
We would go back again and recommend to friends.

My only criticism, and it is a small one...................no soap in the bathroom at the wash basin-it would be nice to have a little bar available.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the actual hotel building
1  Thank jeanettemahon499
chevingm, General Manager at Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2011

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your review and what a great offer. This was the first time that the hotel worked with Groupon and it is great to see that so many enjoyed the experience and look forward to returning to the hotel.

I shall pass on your comments to the kitchen and service staff for a job well done.
In regards to the bathroom soup in your room this was unfortunatly due to a change in supplier but this has now been resolved with an improved product.

Again my thanks and see you soon.

Reviewed May 2, 2011

We booked online, which I advise doing as it saved us £76 a night. We also received money off vouchers worth up to £200 for various things.

The staff were very welcoming and very helpful. We asked to change rooms due to birds nesting, we were given the choice of two rooms. Both were of a very high standard.

The food served in the restaurant was very well presented, I would have expected it to cost twice as much.

The pool and jacuzzis were well looked after but if you're planning to use the spa it's worth booking a fortnight before you stay as is books up quickly.

• Stayed: April 2011
chevingm, General Manager at Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2011

Dear guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to write your review on your stay with us.
I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and the comfort of the bedrooms.

I will ensure that your comments are shared with my team to continue driving our standards forward.

With thanks,

Jurgen Kruijt

Also consider these accommodations in or near Otley
Hollins Hall Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Premier Inn Leeds / Bradford Airport Hotel
Britannia Leeds Bradford Airport
Travelodge Leeds Bradford Airport
Weetwood Hall Hotel
Weetwood Hall Hotel
#33 of 87 in Leeds
Village Hotel Leeds North

Been to Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!