“Well worth the trip”

Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Otley
Reviewed May 2, 2011

We booked online, which I advise doing as it saved us £76 a night. We also received money off vouchers worth up to £200 for various things.

The staff were very welcoming and very helpful. We asked to change rooms due to birds nesting, we were given the choice of two rooms. Both were of a very high standard.

The food served in the restaurant was very well presented, I would have expected it to cost twice as much.

The pool and jacuzzis were well looked after but if you're planning to use the spa it's worth booking a fortnight before you stay as is books up quickly.

• Stayed: April 2011
chevingm, General Manager at Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2011

Dear guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to write your review on your stay with us.
I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and the comfort of the bedrooms.

I will ensure that your comments are shared with my team to continue driving our standards forward.

Reviewed April 27, 2011

we booked this as a family break away.Having two teenagers its always a bit difficult to find somewhere thats suits us all.Chevin park has it all.We were able to hire bikes (including helmets) so the kids cud have their freedom while we had afternoon tea on the beautiful outdoor lakeside area. The staff were all so friendly and attentive.The rooms were clean and the bedding was beautiful crisp cotton .The breakfast menu was also impressive.Everything from italian meats and cheeses to the traditional full english also my fave smoked salmon n scrambled egg,The leisure facilities were also very clean with the outdoor hotub coming in very handy for complete relaxation we booked through booking.com flash deals and paid just £45 a nite.An amazing hotel and a fabulous deal Roll on 31st may

2  Thank 227059Claire
chevingm, General Manager at Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much indeed for these kind comments. It is always great to hear that our guests enjoyed their stay with us, maybe partially helped by the lovely weather.

Thank you for the nice comments on our breakfast standards and possibility of hiring bikes for the entertainment of your children. For more activities do sent them to our leisure club where we can even supply tennis rackets for on our tennis court.

Many thanks again,

Reviewed April 14, 2011

My husband and I booked this break via the Groupon deal as a treat - night away from small child! Due to leaving it late to book, we ended up sacrificing the spa treatments for a room upgrade and bottle of wine - fine by us! We got there a little early, but the room was ready. A lovely suite split over 2 levels looking out on to the hotel grounds. From the moment we arrived we found all staff friendly and approachable. We went to the pub down the road for our lunch which was lovely too.

Set dinner menu was good, although if you wanted to choose an a la carte dish there was a steep price increase. Quality of food couldnt be faulted. Slight hiccup with the bill at the end which was quicklly rectified. Restaurant was busy and staff were fairly attentive, although they could have been a little less obvious when stood around chatting!

Outdoor hot tub and leisure centre were good too.

Overall, we had a nice weekend in lovely surroundings. Exceptional value with the Groupon deal. There were a few minor things, such as no iron in room, dripping tap, noisy neighbours and broken door lock, but as I say, mlnor and nothing that couldnt be solved or lived with.

1  Thank SpammieNW
chevingm, General Manager at Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for giving us some great feedback on your recent stay with us.
The Groupon offer indeed was an excellent value for money offer allowing many guests that have not stayed at the hotel to experience its quality and comfort.

I have noted your comments regarding certain smaller maintenance issues and I will address these with my team to ensure that we can deliver good customer service.

Again thanking you kindly and look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed April 9, 2011

My partner and I booked via Groupon and set off with low expectations, which sadly were not fulfilled! We booked into a junior suite with private hot tub, which we did not use as the water was opaque, and smelt of an interesting combination of bleach and fish. Dinner was an experience where diners bonded over mutual eye rolling at the service; for example we were offered 'bread roll, with bits or no bits'. Each course was dire, and the drinks over-priced. We decided not to go near the cooked buffet for breakfast, and no sooner than I had said 'surely they can't get cereal and toast wrong', my partner found an unexpected short and curly edition on his plate. We had booked in for spa treatments later that day, but that was the final straw. We packed our bags and made a hasty retreat.

2  Thank AnonYMouse01
chevingm, General Manager at Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2011

Dear Guest,
Many thanks for your feedback. I regret to read that you did not fully enjoy your stay with us.
The complimentary upgrade to the Dales Suite was very generous eventhough not normally included in this particular offer.
I do regret that you felt that it was not to your expactation and can assure you that the hot tub is cleaned after use and has daily water checks done to ensure that quality of the water.

It is also regretful that you did you enjoy our restaurant again we normally receive exceptional comments regarding ur food. It is however unfortunate that you did not speak to any one in charge and am sure we would have resolved any issues you may have instantly.

Reviewed April 6, 2011

At £99 for an overnight stay I was expecting something more than I received. Some parts of the main building were in need of a good clean. The bar in the bar was sticky to touch, vacatated tables left uncleared and the carpets throughout the whole hotel could have been hoovered. A pneumatic drill operating all afternoon meant the stay was less than relaxing and we were confined to the bedroom after only having been there for an hour to avoid the noise. Check for buliding works before you book.
While the minimal number of staff were friendly I don't think one of them was over the age of 20 and this showed in the service at dinner and general condition of the hotel. (as above)
We were woken at 5.30 am by the man in the ajoined cabin repeatedly coughing up (i'm assuming) phlegm, and watching the news . The walls are very thin and we could hear every word spoken and other bodily noises!! If you are going to stay ensure no-one is staying in the next cabin. The cabin was very basic and given there is so much space around the cabins they could have added a metre or two so you didn't have to leave the bathroom door open to turn around!
Afternoon tea included fresh from the oven danish pastries and muffins, which were very nice but not cheap. Dinner was good but the portions are small for the price. Breakfast was good. Everything not paid for as an addition seemed to be 'economy' sized. Only 2 towels in the bathroom with 2 small hand towels, and these were a bit old and hard. No soap in the bathroom and only one small shower gel between 2 people. Only 4 milk pots on the tea/coffee tray and no biscuits.
I can see that if you had an early flight this would be convenient for the airport.
I won't be staying again.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
chevingm, General Manager at Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2011

Dear guest,
Many thanks for taking the time to write your review of the hotel, we very much appreciate this.
I do regret that you did not fully enjoy your stay and can assure you that we will take your comments on board as constructive criticism. In regards to the drilling this unfortunately had to be done to make essential repairs to a certain part of the building but only took 2 hours, our apologies.
The log cabins are indeed very special eventhough I don’t think it will be very easy ‘’add a meter’’ but I appreciate the comment. Our room set up are to industry standard with a large bath towel and hand towel for every guest. If more is required housekeeping is always more then willing to supply these.
Thank you for the comments regarding the food and I will ensure that these are shared with my head chef and his team. Regarding the tables I will speak to my F&B manager to ensure that this is actioned with his staff.

Reviewed April 4, 2011

My daughter paid for this overnight stay for herself & her boyfriend with Groupon. She was ill before the day so gave us the chance to go in her place. We arrived too early to check into our room, but were told we could use the pool and facilities while we waited. We duly went to the pool & were told by a member of staff to "sign in for safety reasons" When I asked where the signing in forms were, she said "Aren't there any there - never mind, here's a towel, just go in!" So much for safety.
We finally booked into our room & included in the deal was a free massage, which my daughter had arranged for 5.30 as she lives in Manchester and would not have got there any earlier. We went at 5.15 to get ready for our massage to be told that it was booked for 5 not 5.30 & we could not now have a massage as they were fully booked that evening and all of the following day. No way did my daughter book for 5 p.m. - there just would not have been time to get there for that time. The manager said he would make it up to us by making sure we had a free bottle of wine with dinner!! Some consolation - I would have asked the staff to stay an extra half hour & given the massages. We had to ask for the wine when in the restaurant, even though the manager said he would give the waitresses our room number to ensure "they look after you properly & give you the wine." We also had to ask, at the end of the meal, for the complimentary drinks that were supposed to come with the meal. There was only one vegetarian option on the menu & when I asked the waitress if there was an alternative to the advertised polenta, she said she could ask the chef if there was something else if I didn't like polenta. "Oh, it's not that I don't like it, I would just like some choices," said I. "Well, that's it then, if you like it," was the reply!! So I had polenta.
The bedrooms reminded me of a travellodge, - uncomfortable beds (very), cheap wardrobe, - very, very cold bathroom - it had a heater which went off about 5 minutes after you switched it on, so didn't warm the room at all, There was a party going on, with the smokers congregating outside right by our room - that went on till way after midnight.
All in all, poor service, disappointing deal and cheap bedrooms, although the pool and leisure facilities were nice.
I wouldn't go there again. I told my daughter that when she was well, we would return the favour & pay for her to go, but after our disappointing stay, I'll find somewhere else for her.

Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank chrisbould
chevingm, General Manager at Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review in regards to your stay at the hotel.
We take all comments very serious so that we can ensure that we can improve the hotel facilities where required.

It is very unfortunate that there was confusion in regards to the treatment time, having looked in to this it was indeed booked for 5pm and not 5.30. Indeed it was very kind of the duty manager to offer you a bottle of wine.

In regards to the bedroom it is regretful that you did not enjoy your bedroom. many of our bedrooms have recently been refurbished but I will take your comments up with my maintenance team.

Again my thanks for your feedback,

Reviewed April 3, 2011

As many other reviews, we booked this hotel following a groupon offer. What a bargain and hidden gem. The hotel was not exactly as expected. We knew there were lodges, but we also thought it was partly a normal hotel and we would be in there as we booked a "Standard room". But we were in one of the lodges. Our lodge was a bigger lodge split into 3 full rooms. It had its own decked area and en-suite. The room was big enough for a nice or two. Was fantastic. The Spa was stunning. Very clean and inviting. We both had a massage, was the best i have ever had. The staff in the Spa were very friendly and nice.
Dinner was also fantastic, 3 courses including a glass on wine. Really fantastic food. Breakfast was cold and hot buffet which was also lovely. All the staff were very genuine and made the whole experience relaxing. There was a wedding and private function there but neither the Spa or any of the hotel felt too busy at any time (amazingly considering it was a Saturday). Even the bar staff did extremely well considering they had to serve both wedding guests, all hotel guests and the private function - despite some arrogant snobs trying to provoke them because they had to wait a few minutes.

Overall it was a fantastic stay, would definately stay again! Everything was beautiful, relaxing and totally unique.

Only downside was some guests from wedding were staying next door so were loud late into the night (3-4am) and smoking right outside our door so wafted in the room - am sure this is very rare and very unlikely to happen generally.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
chevingm, General Manager at Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2011

Dear Guest,

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your Groupon voucher. This was a new venture for the hotel and a great one-off offer for so many guests.
Your excellent comments regarding the spa have been noted and I will share these with the team.
We always try and carefully plan our weekends to ensure that all guests enjoy the hotel, being a wedding party or private booking and I am very pleased that this is how you experienced this.

I do regret that some other guests kept you awake at night and would have hoped that this could have been avoid.

Again my thanks and look forward to welcoming you back.

Jurgen Kruijt - General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Otley
Hollins Hall Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Thorpe Park Hotel & Spa
Oulton Hall & Spa
Oulton Hall & Spa
#1 of 1 in Oulton
The Devonshire Arms Hotel & Spa
Britannia Leeds Bradford Airport
The Grand Hotel & Spa

Been to Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!