“Absolutely unique and fantastic hotel!”

Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Otley
Reviewed April 3, 2011

As many other reviews, we booked this hotel following a groupon offer. What a bargain and hidden gem. The hotel was not exactly as expected. We knew there were lodges, but we also thought it was partly a normal hotel and we would be in there as we booked a "Standard room". But we were in one of the lodges. Our lodge was a bigger lodge split into 3 full rooms. It had its own decked area and en-suite. The room was big enough for a nice or two. Was fantastic. The Spa was stunning. Very clean and inviting. We both had a massage, was the best i have ever had. The staff in the Spa were very friendly and nice.
Dinner was also fantastic, 3 courses including a glass on wine. Really fantastic food. Breakfast was cold and hot buffet which was also lovely. All the staff were very genuine and made the whole experience relaxing. There was a wedding and private function there but neither the Spa or any of the hotel felt too busy at any time (amazingly considering it was a Saturday). Even the bar staff did extremely well considering they had to serve both wedding guests, all hotel guests and the private function - despite some arrogant snobs trying to provoke them because they had to wait a few minutes.

Overall it was a fantastic stay, would definately stay again! Everything was beautiful, relaxing and totally unique.

Only downside was some guests from wedding were staying next door so were loud late into the night (3-4am) and smoking right outside our door so wafted in the room - am sure this is very rare and very unlikely to happen generally.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
chevingm, General Manager at Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2011

Dear Guest,

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your Groupon voucher. This was a new venture for the hotel and a great one-off offer for so many guests.
Your excellent comments regarding the spa have been noted and I will share these with the team.
We always try and carefully plan our weekends to ensure that all guests enjoy the hotel, being a wedding party or private booking and I am very pleased that this is how you experienced this.

I do regret that some other guests kept you awake at night and would have hoped that this could have been avoid.

Again my thanks and look forward to welcoming you back.

Jurgen Kruijt - General Manager

Reviewed April 3, 2011

This is my first Tripadvisor review.

This review will be honest and any criticism I have will be of a constructive nature and I would expect appropriate action taken by the hotel, in order to rectify those criticisms/issues.

My wife and I have stayed in many Spa hotels across the country and like to think that we know what we are talking about. We love the relaxing atmosphere of these type of places and often stay for at least two nights at each.

We received a direct promotional mailing from Crerar hotels offering substantial discounts for the whole hotel group, with separate disount vouchers too and thus decided to book a Spring break at Chevin Country Park. It is reasonably close to home and was available for the dates we wanted.

Chevin Country Park is not our Utopia but it does pretty well as far as customer satisfaction goes. We 'mostly' really enjoyed our stay and will be back to visit.

Accommodation:
We booked a double room via the internet and were allocated room 53 on arrival.Room 53 is part of one of the log cabins situated within the grounds and a short walk to the main hotel complex. It is next to a workshop which was a bit of an eyesore and did not have any lake view. The room was small, but offered plenty of storage space with a bathroom. It was clean throughout but the carpets had several stains (drinks probably), which was dissapointing and an easy fix.
Although wifi is available to all rooms, I could not get a connection for my laptop as the signal strength was poor. Neither could we get a mobile phone signal. That said, we did go away to escape!
The only thing lacking in the room was a radio and perhaps a DVD player, although the LCD TV was very modern and offered many channels for viewing.
The bed was not the most comfortable we have slept on.

We have a few accommodation issues that occured during our stay.
After our first night and returning from breakfast, we decided to have a bit of a rest for a couple of hours and went back to bed putting a 'do not disurb sign' on the door. Alas, we were disturbed. Room Service knocked asking to clean our room (very annoying) and not only that, the constant door banging of staff and perhaps occupants of the other rooms sharing the cabin, was very disrespectful and kept on disturbing us.
When we were mobile (around 12pm), I phoned reception to inform them that we were going out and they could spruce our room up and left an appropriate sign (saying that) on the door. When we returned at around 6pm, the room had not been touched and dirty sheets from the other occupants room were dumped in the shared hallway. Housekeeping were not contactable (they only service rooms until 3pm), so I contacted reception who eventually sent someone out to tidy our room.

Service:
My review sounds pretty negative up to this point, but the issues of the room were all forgotten (negated) with the service we received from every single staff member we came across. I would not say we are particularly demanding people, but we do want value for money and certainly insist on receiving a decent service when we stay at hotels.
The staff working on 31st March to 2nd April at Chevin Country Park are a real asset to the Crerar group.
Nothing was too much for any of the staff on duty and all of them (without a single exception) were polite and very professional (even at very busy times).

Location:
Chevin Country Park is located near to Leeds/Bradford airport but does not suffer from too much noise of aircraft. It is also close to Otley (about a mile down the hill), Leeds and also the rest of the Yorkshire Dales. They even offer 'stay and fly' packages for people using Leeds/Bradford airport where they can leave their car there.

We came to Chevin Country Park for the Spa mainly.
The leisure facilities, on the whole, are really good. The pool is of a decent size with a Steam Room, Jacuzzi and Sauna inside and an outside Hot Tub. The Steam Room is a little small (5 people would be a squeeze) as too is the Sauna, but both were clean and worked fine. The Jacuzzi also worked okay but was old with rust marks near the water jets. The actual pool though, was dirty and had greasy tide marks on the tiles (no excuse for that really). I was also a bit concerned about the lack of chlorine in the pool. I don't particularly like sore eyes and the smell of chlorine, but I do appreciate its disinfecting and cleansing properties!
The outside Hot Tub was excellent but the steps going into the tub are a little dangerous (especially when the tub is bubbling) and could do with a hand rail.
The changing room facilities are superb (although a little small) with two showers and a disabled toilet and (free) lockers. The floors can get a little wet though and then get slippery.
What impressed me the most about the leisure facilities was the gym. It has recently been redecorated. All the machines (a huge selection of cardio-vascular) are virtually brand new and the weights (didn't use them) look really good too. There is also a huge flat screen TV, a cold water dispenser with plenty of cups and also cleaning fluids and wipes.
What did not impress me about the leisure facilities however, was the lack of supervision. I appreciate that the hotel does not employ a lifeguard and users of the facility, do so at their own risk, which I am fine about. However, throughout the 3 days we used the facilities, children (babies in some cases) were allowed to use the Hot Tub and Jacuzzi, and elder children (under 16s) Steam Room and Sauna.
As a paying guest and not having a body like a temple, I DO NOT want to share those facilities with children. I/we are there to relax and don't want laughing and screaming kids disturbing our 'relaxing' sessions using those facilities. And we are not kido-phobes (we have two!). We have not problem with children using the pool and/or other facilities and our concerns are not totally selfish, but mostly because those facilites are unsafe for children to use (even with ignorant parents holding on to them). Their bodies are simply too small to cope with the temperature and dehydrating affects those types of facilities have on them.
A bit more policing please Chevin otherwise you might have the HSE investigating an infant injury, or worse - death.
Unfortunately there were no spaces for us to experience the spa treatments offered by Chevin. They were booked up until May and had no cancellations throughout our stay, so I cannot comment on that aspect of the hotel facilities The spa staff were accommodating enough though and again, very friendly.

Meals:
One word - superb.
Despite there being two weddings going on and the hotel at full capacity on Friday night, with the A Le Carte menue being taken off, restricting us to a 3 choice 3 course menu, we have only praise for the quality of food and the service too.
We have not enjoyed fish as well cooked or prepared in many years.
Chevin - don't lose that chef of yours - he/she is an absolute diamond.

After previously reading some of the restaurant reviews on here (particularly for breakfast) we were a bit sceptical on quality. I am not suggesting that those reviews were wrong, but our breakfast and Dinner experiences were lovely and made our break.

Like most hotels now, Chevin offer a buffet type breakfast and scrambled eggs are available by default. I had them for my first breakfast and they were fresh and tasted fine. However, if you want poached, scrambled or whatever eggs, you can just ask for them. During less busy times, a menu is available and it gives you that option (just read it!). During busy times (Saturday morning was very busy with a wedding party in too), the menu's might be withdrawn, but the chef will still rustle up menu items, as he/she did for us, producing the best poach eggs and smoked haddock I have tasted in years.

Summary:
Long review I know with some negatives. On the whole though, we really enjoyed our stay and will definitely return to Chevin Park. In fact we are very much looking forward to returning. Not least to see if their management have indeed taken notice of the issues that have raised!
I would not pay the daily rates (as advertised at reception) to stay here but with promotional discounts, I would recommend a stay at Chevin Park Country Hotel to anybody who wants a decent, very good value break. It is not 5 star but the staff and food certainly make up for it.

Room Tip: Use the Leisure facilities early.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,
Many thanks for taking them time to so carefully review our hotel, we very much appreciate this and have clearly noted that the comments made are all on a constructive basis. This is exactly how I have used them to ensure that we can continue to deliver an excellent product.
In regards to your room I have discussed this with housekeeping and they will have this resolved soonest. The wifi is sometimes challenging and it is regretful that you struggled getting a good connections. We will review this and see if there are any positive changes we can make to this. There is however a free computer in the reception that can be used by all guests.
I have also discussed the do not disturb sign, I find it unfortunate that this was missed and will ensure that this is noted by all housekeepers to avoid a similar occurrence.
Our standard rooms do not have DVD players as a set up, however all executive rooms do have DVD players, stereo systems and flat screens.

In regards to the service your received in all areas I am delighted that you are so positive and I will ensure that this is shared with my staff. We have spend a lot of time on this to ensure that all our guests receive that well known ‘’Yorkshire Welcome’’.

For the leisure club again I am pleased that you enjoyed this. However I would like to point out the smell of chlorine is not a good thing. We very carefully monitor our pool water with regular tests to ensure that we maintain the best possible quality. The smell of Chlorine (often in public pools) actually indicates that there is lack of chlorine. A good pool should not smell. Unfortunately I also must agree with your comments regarding the hot tub, sauna and Jacuzzi. There is clear signage that these should not be used by children under 16 for health reasons as you rightfully indicated. It does however remain the parent’s responsibility if they feel to ignore our advice.

Again my thanks and I can assure you that your comments have been taken how they where meant and I thank you for this. Looking forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

With thanks,

Jurgen Kruijt – General Manager

Reviewed March 29, 2011

Booked a two night break for me and my partner which was an excellent choice as it was very relaxing break. The spa facilities and outdoor tub were excellent and the area was lovely. Visited Ilkley Moor for a lovely walk and that is worth a visit. The weather was great for the time of year which made our break more enjoyable.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
chevingm, General Manager at Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us and to read that you enjoyed it so much.
As you correctly said the local areas are an absolute must to visit and can further recommend places like Harwood House for any future trips.

Again my thanks and will look forward to welcoming you back.

Jurgen Kruijt

Reviewed March 13, 2011

This is a beautiful hotel consisting of multiple log cabins in a beautiful part of Yorkshire overlooking a small lake within the hotel's grounds. It is small enough to feel intimate, yet large enough to provide a wide range of facilities. Staff were friendly and when we had a problem with the room they were very keen to help. The log cabin room was small, but nicely decorated and had all the nice additions including LCD TV, hospitality tray and refreshing shower. The spa facility was excellent, especially the outdoor jacuzzi, although it might be better if they extended the opening hours a little longer. The two bar meals we had were fantastic - deliciously cooked and well presented, in a homely yet modern bar area. In the morning, breakfast was served by pleasant staff, my only comment being that the choice of food was rather limited for breakfast, albeit enjoyable.

• Stayed: February 2011
chevingm, General Manager at Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2011

Dear guest,

Many thanks for your kind comments and it is great to read that you enjoyed your stay with us so much. Indeed the chalets do give a magical feel to the hotel even on a rainy day.
I will ensure that your comments are shared with my team and thank you for them.

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Management and team

Reviewed March 11, 2011

Just returned from a fantastic break at this hotel, a treat for me and surprise for my other half, for our anniversary which i purchased through groupon.
Got a fantastic deal including massage for 2, use of all the spa facilities, 3 course evening meal and 1 nights stay.
When we arrived at the hotel it was too early to check in however i had booked our treatments and so we made our way to the Spa. Here we had the pleasure of experiencing a back neck and shoulder massage and use of all the facilities. The girls in the spa were lovely however i do think they would benefit from another member of staff as when we arrived the therapists were in treatments and there was no one around to inform we had arrived. However the massage was a lovely treat. As our stay commenced on a Thursday it was slightly quieter, this meant we had most of the spa facilities to ourselves. It was blowing a gale outside however the outdoor hot tub was a fun added bonus. Relaxing in the bubbling hot, outdoor jacuzzi overlooking the lake was amazing. We stayed in the spa for 4 hours and enjoyed every minute!
We opted for lunch at the hotel lounge which was like being in a log cabin, really cosy and friendly. The food was tasty and very reasonably priced considering normal hotel prices.
After this we checked in an went to investigate the room. The room was slightly small however clean, lovely interior and patio doors which opened up onto the lake which we werent expecting! All the rooms appear to be designed as if you were in a log cabin however with all the home comforts. On the outerskirts of the lake were the family sized log cabins which looked lovely.
The hotel is situated in the middle of a woodland which really is lovely and the restaurant where we had dinner overlooked the lake. Pre booking dinner ensured we had a table in the conservatory which overlooked the lake. Our deal included 3 courses from a rotating daily menu. We received complementary canapes before wine and 3 courses. The meal was delightfull, the only problem was the deal i had bought was for a set menu and this wasnt explained at dinner. It appeared the meals we had chosen incurred a surcharge, however upon checking out i brought this to the attention of the receptionist and she was good enough to deduct this and the bottle of wine we had from the final bill, due to the miss understanding.
After dinner we retired to the hotel bar which is small however due to our stay being out of season seemed quite busy. The night barman/ porter was very friendly and nothing was too much trouble.
Once back in the room you could hear people venturing down the corridors now and again however were not too hard to please and it didnt cause any problems.
The next morning we had breakfast again overlooking the lake which was great and there was a hot/cold buffet style to choose from which was very enjoyable. After this we had a walk around the woodland grounds past bthe tennis courts and past the log chalets. Checkout was a breeze and the receptionist was very helpfull, she provided info of where we could go for the day and how to get there. We travelled to the nearby town of Ottley where it was market day and had a lovely day purchasing some great and unique bargains and then onto Skipton for the remainder of the day. I would definately reccomend a trip to Ottley are there are many tea rooms, shops and restaurants.
All in all we had an absolutely fantastic time it was very relaxing and great value for money, we would definately go back anytime! Enjoy !

1  Thank HaylsNRiagan
chevingm, General Manager at Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2011

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for the feedback you have given us on your stay and how much you enjoyed this. it is very pleasing to hear how much you enjoyed the spa facilities, bar and restaurant.

I will ensure that your comments are shared with all my staff and will thank them for their hard work.
Look forward to welcoming you back again.

Managment and team

Reviewed March 6, 2011

I recently purchased a much needed break for my parents through a groupon deal. The date i had orgionally booked had to be re-arranged due to my fathers hospital admission. The staff were very sympathetic and were so accommodating. They changed the dates, with no hassle or charge incurred. Although my parents were unable to have their massage treatment (which was to great joy to my f wather) the staff upgraded my parents to a suite and they received a bottle of wine in their room.
On arrival my parents were amazed by the beautiful surrounding's, they were greeted by friendly staff , who were most helpful and accommodating. The staff on reception, at the restaurant and in the spa are so attentive to every detail and it is refreshing to have this exceptionally high standard of customer care.
The stay for my parents was very intimate and relaxing. The food in the restaurant - quality, taste and presentation was absolutely fantastic. The views were amazing, overlooking the lake in the restaurant. My parents had a wonderful stay at this hotel, so much that there is now a group of 14 individuals booking to have a break at this hotel. My parents have even suggested that i get married here. Hence the group booking and the viewing of the grounds and facilities. I can not thank the staff enough, my parents happiness especially during a difficult time for us as a family was priceless. I have already contacted the hotel in relation to further bookings and once again i was greeted by excellent customer service and accommodating staff. I frequently stay at 4 and 5 star hotels and never received this high standard of care and service.
You are highly recommended and i look forward to my stay with yourselves.

Mr and Mrs Jeffers
stayed on 4/3/11

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
chevingm, General Manager at Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2011

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for these excellent comments and I will ensure that these are shared with all my staff that helped ensuring that your parents enjoyed their stay.
I sincerely hope that the health of your father is further improving and send him my kindest regards.

We offcourse will look forward to receiving you again at the hotel and if you require any help in arranging your wedding day with us we would be more the delighted to help you with this.

With thanks,

Managment and team

Reviewed March 4, 2011

My partner, dog and I have just returned from a nights stay at the Chevin Park Hotel. Our package included dinner, bed and breakfast all of which were superb. We also treated ourselves to a massage at the hotels spa, which was compact but very relaxing with everything you need for a relaxing break.

The hotels staff, from the moment we arrived were welcoming and flexible, and even handed us a map with directions for the best walks in the area and tips on where to stop off for afternoon tea!
The hotel itself is completely decked out in wood, which gives it a cosy, relaxed feel. Our bedroom was a wood cabin set in the hotels grounds, which was a little dated, but clean and spacious.

We would stay here again without hesitation.

1  Thank rachael0

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your kind comments and am sure that you and the dog have enjoyed the beautiful countryside her at Chevin.
I am also delighted to hear that you enjoyed the spa and the food offering in the hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Management and team.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Otley
Hollins Hall Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Thorpe Park Hotel & Spa
Oulton Hall & Spa
Oulton Hall & Spa
#1 of 1 in Oulton
The Devonshire Arms Hotel & Spa
Britannia Leeds Bradford Airport
The Grand Hotel & Spa

Been to Chevin Country Park Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!