“more atmosphere in a morgue”

Balti House & Mocktail Bar
Ranked #2 of 2 Dessert in Otley
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Balti House, is an authentic Indian restaurant located on Bondgate in Otley, where we offer the finest Indian dishes for you to enjoy. We are fully licensed. We also offer a comprehensive range of Mocktails. Customers can bring their own drinks but then we will charge £1.00 per person cork-age.
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Visited on a Living Social deal (2 starters + 2 mains) on a Monday evening.

Only one other couple dining and the atmosphere was grim!! Was shown to a table by somebody whose English wasn't great who quickly wen't through the menu to advise on dishes which incurred a surcharge (basically anything with fish and seafood).

Opted for a shared sizzling starter, which came with salad on the plate (good and fresh). The taste and quantity was excellent (even partner commented on how good the onion bahji was).

Round 2 - the mains. Already knew rice etc would be extra. Opted for two chicken dishes, which were good, + pilau rice and tandoori roti. Good rice, roti just ok.

The service was swift but surly - a smile doesn't cost anything at the end of the day.

The lighting in the place, didn't do it any favours and why does everything feel greasy to the touch?

Finally, their credit card reader was out of order, so a walk to the supermarket cash point was needed.

Would we go back. The jury is still out on this one.

1  Thank alisonr932

Reviewed July 25, 2013

Bought a wowcher that was advertised as 'Royal Saffron Leeds'. I rang to book and said that I had the voucher for their Leeds Restaurant. We went to the address and couldn't find it. We rang to ask where it was and got told it was closed. Closed down! They had booked us into the Otley restaurant and expected us to be mind readers. So we had to drive over from Chappel Allerton to Otley. I reiterated what and happened and got told it was a printing error! No apologies, and there was little point explaining that there website gave a Leeds address as the staff struggled with English.
The restaurant is set over 2 floors in a lovely old building. Except the decor is not in keeping with the building, bright blue lighting and a flashing 'open' sign, coupled with a fan that spat water it was not ideal to say the least. It was more like an 80's nightclub than a restaurant. I used the toilet and noticed that all the floors were filthy. The toilet was not much better...
the starters were quite pleasant so the meal seemed promising. We ordered rice and chapattis. My other half ordered chicken Makhani. Makhani is cream, butter, tomotoes and Fenugeek. This was full of coconut which I am allergic to. I tried a little without knowing what was in it. I had koftas. Normally in Indian cuisine koftas are boiled. These were chicken and ginger deep fried and then put in a bolognase sauce. all very strange.
I should have realized when we read the menu, which I recommend doing for the comedy value alone as it has been translated by an alien. It is also full of typos. And descriptions of food with no meaning i.e. a thick sauce, flavored with herbs, tasty
The chapatis and rice were perfect
I had an ice cream as included in the deal and it was cheap nasty value stuff with no flavor. We ordered cokes that were served warm so we had to ask for ice.
Quite annoyed when we got the bill as I was expecting just to pay for drinks, but they added on the rice and chappatis. the voucher said, 2 starters, 2 mains and ice cream Who its mains without rice or bread?
We paid but didn't tip and I certainly wont be going back I shall also be complaining to Wowcher, as they misrepresented their offer as Otley is not Leeds!

3  Thank Laura B
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Excellent food. Resturant very small. Don't go on a hot day as it it boiling. The wowcher deal is an excellent deal. I would go again without the deal.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

Visited early Saturday evening and place was quiet which is what we like. For a change I tried the Fish Pakora as a starter, it was disappointing the strips of so called haddock tasted like minced fish fingers, tasteless and dry. Partner had Mixed Kebab which was massive for a starter, she took pity on me and gave me half, it was excellent, I know I will have that next time. The main courses were very very good, Lamb Dhansak and Lamb Byriani. Staff again were very friendly and attentive, overall a very nice meal we will definitely be going again.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

Good service, gorgous curry, best onion bahjis ever eaten! Will deffo return also had sizzling starter font usually like sheesh kebabs but these ones were to die for!