“perfect B&B in perfect location”
Review of Dowgill House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Otley
Dowgill House
Ranked #2 of 6 Otley B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 23, 2010

We had to travel to Yorkshire for a family funeral and having searched through dozens fo hotels and B&B's in nearby Ilkley came across Dowgill House in Otley rather by accident - but Im so glad we did. Travelling up from London we arrived quite late to a lovely warm greeting from Helen, one of the owners.

Our room was right at the front of the house, a beautifully renovated Grade II listed property right in the heart of this this busy market town. Parkng was not a problem, right outside, and in spite of its central location, our room was quiet and peaceful after our long drive. Enquiring about places to eat, Helen quickly pointed us to a great local fish and chip shop which served us a fantastic bag of chips and scraps (a Yorkshire tradition!).

Our room was large and comfortable with a great en-suite and shower with everything we needed right at hand. Breakfast the following morning was a traditional full english and I can only echo other reviews as to its quality and quantity - enough to keep us going right through the day.

Otley itself is full of mainly small local shops and lots of interesting alley ways and little squares. Friday and Saturday there is a great market and we were spoilt for choice with places to eat. Location wise the town is less then half an hour away Dales market towns up the valley and surrounded by wonderful Yorkshire countryside. However its proximity to Leeds and its suburbs meant we were also withn easy distance of great shopping - all in all a perfect compromise.

Throughout our stay both Helen and Tim made us feel very welcome and with lots of suggestions of places to go and things to do and went a long way to make what could have been a difficult three days for us into something much more pleasant and relaxed.

Having stayed in numerous B&B's (we tend to avoid big anonymous hotels) up and down the country I would thoroughly recommend Dowgill House to anyone, both as a venue and as a location from which to tour this beautiful part of the world.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 2, 2010

We travelled down from the Scottish Highlands at Easter for our best friends wedding in Otley. The sat nav ran out of battery just as we entered Otley so it took us a few circuits to find it but that was our fault not theirs! There was limited parking so had to park behind but seemed quiet enough and moved the car later. We had a really friendly greeting from the owners and they showed us up to our room. Beautifully decorated and high quality finish to everything. We had a room at the front which is good as I always like to look onto the street, and once the town went to bed it wasn't noisey at all.

Really nice touch of free muffins for guests on the landing which my husband gobbled quite happily. The room was really comfy and good information on where to eat etc in Otley. Unfortunatley every restaurant seemed to stop serving by about 8pm, but we found a great little chippie and had fish, chips and peas with a pot of tea so that kept us right! We had a nice walk in the town at night and relaxed before heading back to the guest house.

In the morning we awoke to Otley farmers market and before heading out had a fantastic cooked breakfast. I have a dietary requirements which they were only too happy to cater for and my husband loved the gooseberry jam! Our host chatted to us and sorted taxi numbers out for us.

They were quite happy for us to arrive back late after the wedding and again we had a really good nights sleep before another scrummy breakfast in the morning. Really friendly check out and if we ever had to go back to Otley we certainly stay again.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 4, 2009

We travelled up from London to go to a gig in Leeds and stayed at Dowgill House. The reviews didnt lie! The room were comfy, the hospitality excellent and the breakfasts very tasty indeed! The house itself is stunning and Tim and Helen have done a great job...long may it continue! thanks for a lovely stay.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 3, 2009

I booked this B&B was my niece was marrying nearby and I needed somewhere central and Dowgill House was certainly that. On arrival Tim was there to greet us and within 5 mins we were shown our room. The room was clean, well decorated and tastefully furnished with plenty of space and the en-suite was spotless with lovely fluffy towels. Tim and Helen had supplied a folder with information on the history of Dowgill House and also of the surrounding areas, a nice touch and most helpful. Breakfast was superb with a good selection to choose from.

The building is Grade II listed and has been wonderfully renovated with most of its original features and a lovely garden to the rear; they even their own wild rabbit.

Its location is great and Otley itself is a lovely market town with plenty of restaurants and pubs and central to the countryside and many historic places and the cities of Harrogate, York and Leeds. If I ever visit the Yorkshire Dales again I would certainly be staying again with Helen and Tim as they make you feel at home.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 18, 2009

Myself and my family have traveled extensively both for business and for leisure and I have to say that Dowgill House rates at the top of the list. The service, the location and the hosts were just amazing. Dowgill house itself represents a fantastic piece of history, the rooms are superb and clean and the hosts are professional, helpful and friendly. I have to also mention that the breakfast is probably the best I have have ever tasted. I would recommend Dowgill House to anyone!!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed June 29, 2009

My partner and I only stayed here one night, but that is enough for us to judge quality. The operative word there was 'quality', and this was all the way down the line from our warm welcome at the door to the warm farewell the next morning.

Helen and Tim have created, not without difficulties along the way, a fantastic B&B from a grade 2 listed Georgian building. They are great hosts, and nothing is too much trouble for them. Personally I judge a place by the breakfast, and here I was, unusually, not disappointed; everything that could be sourced locally was, and of the highest quality, not only that but there was a substantial amount on the plate.

The location is in one of the best market towns, Otley, in Yorkshire, which lives in the most glorious location on the Wharfe. This vibrant town is superbly located for access to the Yorkshire Dales for those energetic souls, or for people like myself there are plenty of places to eat, and, more importantly, there are numerous pubs in which to drink..

All in all, if you were wanting to stay in this part of Yorkshire you would be an idiot not to use this wonderful B&B...

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 19, 2009

I stayed at Dowgill house for the first time in May this year, No sooner I parked up outside I was pleasently greated by Helen who made me feel so welcome.
What a beautiful building with so many of its original features.
My room was very clean and beatifully decorated.
Travelling on your own it not always easy but this was like staying with old friends.
I am originally from the area so I found it so easy to get around but you are so close to to everything you should wish to see,
The breakfast was fabulous served on hot plates and plenty of it, nothing was too much trouble for either Tim or Helen.
On the Sunday morning we had a minor power cut but in did not make any difference to the standard of the service given by our hosts.
There is so much to see in the area and I would definately recommend to pay the little bit extra to stay at Dowgill House again, the beds and the pillows were so comfortable, breakfast amazing and Helen and Tim were fabulous hosts.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo