2,358 results
All reviews sugar mill hibiscus suite il giardino seagrape terrace all inclusive plan west cottages meal plan fern tree spa bedroom villa private pool sea grape golf cart cedar bar villa staff horseback riding pepper pot hibiscus pool
Reviewed September 27, 2012

I'm writing this review while sitting on the gorgeous beach at Half Moon Bay. My husband and I just finished a fabulous breakfast at the Sea Grape Terrace and now we're just relaxing, reading and about to go floating on the white logo Half Moon floats (the floats are a very nice touch)!

This is the perfect spot if you're interested in activities such as snorkeling excursions, trips to the water falls, day trips to Negril, golf, spa, sailing, ocean kayaking, horseback riding, swiming with the dolfins, zip line, etc OR if you just want to unwind and chill which is what we're doing. We did go snorkeling on the boat which was fun.

This particular time of year is their "off season" so there are only a hand full of guests which we love. The busy season is from about November to April. The weather could not be better-low 80s, sunny and an occasional afternoon rain shower complete with rainbows of course!

Food: the food is excellent! I'm a very picky eater when it comes to eating in other countries, but I have enjoyed every meal since we've been here. I was surprised to read some of the other reviews that gave the food low scores. I read the bad review about the Thai and Indian restaurant, but we have actually gone twice this week and it was awesome! The waitress is adorable...ask her to do her magic tricks for you! I was also surprised to have read some negative comments about the service..the service is fabulous. The staff even remebers your name...good morning Mrs. Lee how is your day, Mrs. Lee!!! Who doesn't like a 2 hour relaxing dinner - you're on vacation and on Jamaican time! Relax! We also went into town one night to the Pelican Restaurant...it was fine, but I prefer staying on the property. You must go to Scochies one day for lunch though...we took a cab, but you can probably walk if during the day. Also, the margaritas at the Half Moon bar are to die for! We were disappointed that the Sugar Mill was closed for renovations...this was our favorite restaurant from our last trip here.

Location: 2.5 hour flight directly from Atlanta. Once you arrive at the airport you go directly to the Half Moon "welcome room" to wait for the driver then it's a 10 minute drive. I hate going places where you have to drive hours after you land so this is perfect.

Ask to stay in the West Cottages...just steps from the beach with private pools. Free wifi all over property. We decided not to do the all inclusive this time which has been great because we don't feel compelled to eat three meals a day...usually we just do brunch and dinner or early lunch and dinner.

Half Moon is managed by Rock Resorts which is owned by Vail Resorts. We love Vail and Beaver Creek so it's no wonder that we love this place too!

This is our second trip and we're already planning our third. We've been skypeing our kids (16, 15 and 5 yrs) from the beach and of course they're desperate to be here...we told them they can come when they're old enough to drink a Red Stripe with us! However, this is a VERY kid friendly resort if you do decide to bring the rug rats...

Room tip: They put us in the Habiscus suite at first, but we asked to move to the west cottages. This is where we stayed last time and it is more secluded and just steps from the beach where you swim. They are farther away from the action and restaurant, but that is fine with us!
Date of stay: September 2012
5  Thank 878AllisonL
HalfMoonARockResort, Manager at Half Moon, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to share the lovely comments regarding your recent Half Moon, A RockResort experience. It was a pleasureserving you as our treasured guests; and receiving such positive feedback on our resort facility, amenities and service.

We are happy your experience was all you anticipated and you thoroughly enjoyed the resort offerings. Our ultimate goal is always to create an experience of a lifetime for you our valued clients.

Thank you for again choosing Half Moon and taking the time to share your comments on TripAdvisor. As always, we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you “home” in the not too distant future.

Reviewed September 12, 2012

I love Jamaica and have always heard about Half Moon Bay but my concerns where its in Montego Bay and that is where I normally avoid staying. I have stayed at Little Dix Bay in the British Virgin Islands in 2005, Caneel Bay in 1994, The Royal Palms in Palm Springs in 2011 and have an idea of quality resorts just to mention a few. All the above are A+ resorts and I would go back again in a second. So staying at Half Moon Bay I had some reserverations but after doing my homework and reading the reviews and choosing between the Ritz Carlton in Jamaica and Half Moon I can say, WOW! I love this place, from the airport to check in and every where between the service, the people, the staff the experiance is 5 star. They wait on you hand and foot, everyone does there job to make sure you are taken care, we did the horse back ride in the ocean and you have got to do that on the resort, what a THRILL. The meals at the sugar meal where great, the breakfast is more than you need from eggs, salmon, fruit, bagels, croissants and more and of course the inclusive for all my beverages are wonderful.
My wife and I enjoyed daily runs through the resort which is 425 acres, realized that Richard Branson, John F Kennedy, Prince Elizabeth all have stayed here and the grounds are manicured to perfection. Now I must say nothing except Heaven is perfect and of course Half Moon has a few imperfections like anything else. We ate dinner one night at the India resturant on site and would not do that again, food was OK and the atmosphere was to bright for me.
As for the rooms understand this is a colonial type resort, it was built in the 50's and you cannot expect glitter but for me the Hibsicus suite that we where upgraded to was overlooking the ocean and with a wonderful balcony, seating with lounge chairs was perfect. the rooms and especially the bathroom are spacious and room service is very efficient. I must say, if you want the best spa treatment in the carribean with the utimate atmopshere this is the place. A couples massage along with use of the private pool and jacuzzi jungle like environment are wonderful and private. My wife and I went here to unwind, to relax, to chill and to be pampered without a crowd and thats what we got, so if you want recreation this place has it from their own golf course across the street, aerobic, spa, weight room, horse back riding, croquet, childrens services and day camps, bikes you name it, this is a resort that you never have to leave. We even had a driver to take us out for Blue Mountain coffee, Cuban Cigars and rum, And one last thing when you go you must have a driver take you to Scotch'es down the street, Red Strip beer $2.50 ea, great Jerk and Pork & chicken, adorable patio area, safe, clean and a grand experiance. The trip price is worth it and we stayed 5 nights so it will be worth your budget. My wife and I will go back to Half Moon Bay soon and I hope you do to. Enjoy and "No Problem Man!"

Date of stay: July 2012
5  Thank southernactor
HalfMoonARockResort, Manager at Half Moon, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing the lovely comments regarding your recent stay at Half Moon, A RockResort. It is a pleasure receiving such detailed and complimentary feedback on the resort and its offerings. Our ultimate goal is always to create an experience of a lifetime for you our valued guests.

We thank you for visiting Half Moon and taking the time to share your adventurous experience on TripAdvisor. We do look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back “home” very soon.

Reviewed September 9, 2012

This year August 2012 we stayed at Half Moon for the third year in succession. We've been to some of the most highly regarded hotels from The One and Only Royal Mirage on Jumeirah Beach, Dubai, to some of the best on the Caribbean's ivory coast - but none quite matches up to Half Moon.

....The ambience, the staff, the attention to detail and the way they make you feel so special, makes it impossible for us to chose anywhere else to stay. Undoubtedly Half Moon also knows how to tantalise your tastebuds with world class Caribbean cuisine from dusk till dawn, never allowing your cocktail glass to go empty...

When you book in at Half Moon you certainly know you'll be taken care of. Our son loves it too because he gets to ride around the property with his new friends and he loves the freedom that the sprawling acres of beautiful gardens offer up as well as all the water sport activities to keep them busy.

This year my wife and I took it a bit easier and spent a bit more time at Half Moon's infamous Fern Tree Spa - amazing! Don't leave without trying it!

We're going to be back next year with some good friends who we know just don't want to keep missing out on the Half Moon experience.

Mr & Mrs Earl Walcott, London, England

Room tip: They're all good but if you have unlimited budget and want to do something extra special - The Great House Villas are perfect. They come fully loaded with butler, chef and house keeper!
Date of stay: August 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
8  Thank Earl W
HalfMoonARockResort, Manager at Half Moon, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2012

Dear Valued Guests,

The Half Moon, A RockResort family is delighted that you enjoyed another experience with us; we thank you for taking the time to share your comments on TripAdvisor.

Thank you for choosing Half Moon, It was a pleasure serving you; as always, we look forward to another opportunity of welcoming you back `home’ soon.

Best Regards,

Reviewed September 7, 2012

Let me begin by saying that this property is impressive - 400 acres of beauty. The beach, water and grounds are picturesque and well maintained. The architecture throughout the property is beautiful. The staff at reception is courteous and all other employees were friendly and helpful. My room was large, by any measure, and it over looked the water.

What caught me off guard was the general lack of service and poor quality of the food. Our first dinner on the terrace took over two hours to be served and the wait staff virtually ingnored our table. Once the food arrived, it was very disappointing. Even having a sandwich at lunch would take 45 mins to an hour. The breakfast buffet was limited to breads, fruit, cereal and yogurts which were not replenished on a regular basis leaving those who opted for it with limited options.

The gym is large and well equipped, but is well broken in and in need of an update. On the bright side, the numerous trails along the property made for excellent jogging paths. I would highly recommend biking through the property as well.

In general I felt that the property itself was very nice, but the service and food after one checked in was not resort quality.

Date of stay: September 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
4  Thank withoutborders78

Dear Valued Guest,

The candid feedback regarding your recent experience at Half Moon, A RockResort is appreciated. Objective feedback from our guests is an integral part of our strategy to continuously improve our guest experience.

While we regret the areas which did not exceed your expectations, we are happy that overall you had a good time.

Thank you for choosing Half Moon and for your comments; we look forward to another opportunity to serve you.

Reviewed September 6, 2012

I love Half Moon, the food the staff the atmosphere. Their spa is the finest on the island. The beach was great we had such a good time. Friends were able to join us for dinner and that was really special. They treated us royally. We will certainly come back again and again.

Room tip: A room with a view!!
Date of stay: June 2012
1  Thank cjcushnie

Dear Valued Guest,

The lovely comments regarding your recent stay at Half Moon, A RockResort are highly appreciated. We are thrilled that you had an enjoyable experience with us.

Thank you for choosing Half Moon and for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor; we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back `home’ in the not too distant future.