“Fabulous”

Iberostar Rose Hall Suites
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Rose Hall
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed February 18, 2011

Wanted to let everyone know what a great place this is. We are trying an Iberostar in Mexico as this trip was so good.

Very friendly staff who did not expect a tip but we did anyway.

The snorkeling was amazing.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank AV1965

Reviewed February 17, 2011

We stayed here Feb 9-13 for my 50th birthday and it was wonderful. The place looks just like the pictures. The hotel is clean and modern and beautiful. The minute you get there, you are treated wonderfully. The staff cannot be any nicer, I don't know how they maintain such a friendly mood all the time !! I have to mention some that made this trip such a pleasure for us..The Star Friends.. Jukebox, MoMo, J.A English, Kenny, HappyFeet, MacDaddy at the pool bar, Tamara at the Cigar Bar, Marlin at Guest Services. The front desk staff helped with some special birthday surprises and everything went beautifully.They were great and go out of their way for you ....When they say "No Problem Mon".... they mean it !!There are lots of activities if you want to participate during the day...The beach BBQ with the band on Thursdays is the best. It makes for the perfect setting. The food at all inclusives sometimes can feel mass-produced, but the food here was very good and freshly cooked. Lots of choices on the menus and even the buffets had plenty of choices so you are never hungry !
I cannot wait to go back !!

1  Thank brandygirl612
Reviewed February 15, 2011

We were at Iberostar Rose Hall Suites from February 3 thru February 12.
The Hotel is twenty minutes from Sangster Airport. Rather than book transfers with our package, we only deal with Clives Transport. They are A+++. No waiting or circuitous routes to several hotels. Three people were charged $90 US roundtrip for private car. Worth every penny. Returning to the airport, people on our flight left the hotel at 11:30 by bus....We were picked up at 12:45, and were ahead of them in line for checkin. Look at www.clivestransportservicejamaica.com for info. Clive will NOT disappoint. They also are great for day trips, and for large groups. I will try to be succinct in my review:
The hotel is immaculate, and service excellent everywhere. In my opinion, many comments on this site about the food are silly. Does one really go to the Caribbean for excellent food? Not being snobby, but we eat a the best restaurants in New York and Chicago, and complaints about steaks at a Carribean resort are nonsense. That said, I found the food excellent! ( for where we were) The buffet was varied, and fresh---lots of fresh vegetables,fish, jerk chicken and pork. I liked their roast lamb too! Do try the Jamaican section especially callalou (sp?) This hotel does not make Cornmeal porridge for the breakfast buffet (a Jamaican staple) but DO ask for them to make it for you --Dwight cooked it for us everyday. Jamaicans LIGHT UP when you ask for it! They were all raised on it! Also, try bammy (made from casaba) The Mediterranean Restaurant was fabulous---best fried Calamari anywhere!! The first course is served buffet style. The "Gourmet" gives a good effort. I am not a hugh eater, my husband is! I cannot emphasize enough how miniscule the portions were. Think of ordering two entrees! I am not kidding! Again, food tasty but too little of it!....Again, we eat at many gourmet restaurants at home. --Japanese was good. Sushi was fresh and interesting. A fun nite.
Liquor is top shelf and readily available --exception the swim up bar. I drank Red Stripe Light all week, My husband drank Sauza tequila and any name vodka all week. The cigar bar is nice and a quiet niche.
Rooms were immacuate and spacious. DO DO DO bring a clock or watch!---Verizon service wasn't available IN the room, but was on the terrace. so I dont think you can use your phone for time. Good maid service and turndown at 7PM.

The spa is fabulous! Regular massage is 120 US --- and they are all well trained.
The beachfront for the three hotels is 1/2 mile---. a fine walk or run back and forth if you also go to the path behind the boat house which takes you up the steep hill to the main gate and back. two miles total.
Cayacks and catamarans are included--. the catamaran at no cost if you can sail, but $10 per person if you want a sailor to take you out! Lots of people parasailing.
We love the Jamaicans--that is why we keep going back. Bring a wad of single dollars---Tip readily, and you will be treated like royalty! Like the commercial says, "Once you go, you'll know" I would be more than happy to answer any questions--contact me through this web site. Go!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
9  Thank zvago
Reviewed February 15, 2011

We've just returned from the Rose Hall Suites and had a wonderful vacation. I wish we had booked two weeks instead of just the one.

The resort is made up of three sections, the Grand, the Suites and the Beach. At the Suites there are two pools, one an infinity pool where the activities and swim up bar are and with a section that is shallower for children The other is a sports pool that is often quiet and has lots of beach chairs with shade. We were told the resort was at about 70% capacity and there was no problem finding a shady spot either at the beach or by the pool at any time of day. There is also a lazy river that's fun to float around. The pools were a little chilly at the beginning, but by the end of the week they had warmed up and there should be no problem from here on in.

We've been to the Iberostar on the Mayan riviera in Mexico and found that here the resort is closer to the ocean, so there is less garden/lawns. That may be because the buildings here are 5 stories rather than three. But everything is beautifully maintained. There are some patios near the large stairase where you can sit outside with a drink and look over the pools.

They've put in a few piles of boulders under the water near the edge of the swim area and you can snorkle there and see quite a variety of fish - also saw a skate and a lobster. I brought my own mask and fins, but these are available from the water sports centre at the Beach end of the resort. They also offer snorkling trips to the reef that you can see just a ways out from the resort. There are also 2 person kayaks and other water craft available. I'd like to say a big thank you to Omar, Isabelle and Anna at the water sports centre for all their help.

Our room was perfect. The bathroom has 2 sinks and lots of room for stuff. You can drink the water from the tap. There is a glass enclosed corner shower and a deep tub. We just used the shower. There is lots of cupboard and shelf/drawer space, a flat screen TV (CityTV was one of the channels so we could check how cold it was back home) The balconey was spacious and we'd requested oceanview and had a great view of the ocean and the pools.

The food was delicious. We always found good things to try. We ate at the Steakhouse -excellent. the Gourmet - food is well prepared and beautifully presented, the Mexican - food OK, but bland and the Mediterranean - very good. I was wondering why there isn't a Jamaican themed restaurant instead of the Mexican. The Jamaican food I tried in the buffet is delicious and Mexican just seems weird here. The restaurants are all enclosed with AC except for the Steakhouse which is located on the beach and is open. We didn't try any restaurants at the Beach part of the resort as these a la cartes were very convenient.

We used the gym and the free services offered at the spa. Both are located in the same area on the 4th floor a little ways west of the lobby. The gym has a good number of treadmills and steppers all in good condition. There is a good set of free weights and most of the common machines. There is usually a star friend there in case you need any help. There is a therapeutic whirl pool (warm not hot) about 20' X 30" for men and women to use with heated formed loungers around it. For women and men separately there is a hot still Roman bath, a warm whirlpool, a hot whirlpool, a sauna and a cold still pool. There are showers and towels available. Its very refreshing and relaxing.

I went on the White Witch zip line tour with Chucka Adventure and loved it. They are very professional and safety conscious and its lots of fun. There are 8 zip line and all offer great views of the forest and some have ocean views as well. One zip line ends where the next begins, so there isn't any climbing up to the next platform.

We didn't make it to Dunn's Falls - next trip!!

6  Thank saintsfan11
Reviewed February 15, 2011

This was our second trip to the island in less than seven months, and this experience was just as good or better than the first. I would like to address some of the complaints others have had about this resort, one by one.
1. "The food selection is poor.." Wow, this one stumps me. We were there for five days and for three of those we ate a specialty restaurants that served different things altogether(one mediterranean, one gourmet, and the other steak). As far as the buffets go, there are only so many things you can have for breakfast. Eggs, meat, pastries, cereal, fruit, pancakes etc. As far as the dinner buffets go, I didn't have the same thing twice in five days. To me, the selection was plentiful, if not overwhelming.

2. "I had stuff stolen from my room"....Unfortunatley, I'm sure this happens, but I'm certain it is rare. If you keep your valuables in the safe, when an untrustworthy employee enters your room he/she can't get to anything valuable. Personally, I saw no evidence of dishonesty.

3. "The entertainment was amateurish"... This one is as confusing as the food. Kenny, Mo Mo, KiKi, Happy Feet, OMG were all fabulous. They were as attentive to the kids as they were to adults. I saw Mo Mo play with a little kid on the beach for almost an hour,he made sand castles and buried the little boys legs in the sand. They must have all been gymnasts at some point as they could flip, do handstands, etc. Krazy Kenny's did the best impression of Michael Jackson I have ever seen. They performed all out and it showed. In my opinion the entertainment was very good.

4. "The rooms were musty".. True. They were. But not bad enough to affect sleep or anything else you wanted to do. Keep in mind Jamaica is always 75-85 deg F. Combine that with being on the water, humidity will be an issue. I personally didn't mind the humidity nor did anyone in our group.

5. "The food quality was bad"... The food was not the best food I have ever eaten in my life, but by no means was it poor. Everything was presented very well and the effort was evident. On a scale of 1-10, the specialty restaurants get an 8.5 while the buffets get a 9. Keep in mind you are in Jamaica, not Chicago or New York.

Those are some of the complaints I addressed and I hope that anyone thinking of this hotel gives it a shot. Almost to a person people are kind, funloving, helpful and attentive. There are some that aren't but you have to look to find them. I have been there twice and am working on #3. Yea Mon!

4  Thank rksdmd
Reviewed February 15, 2011

The staff was lovely. They choose very upbeat and friendly people and train them very well. The room was very nice. The bathroom was spacious and very nice except that for some inexplicable reason the showere head was attached to the roof of the shower and comes straight down without any way to adjust it.
the location of the hotel is great because it is about 20 minutes from the airport so you don't spend 1/2 the day getting there.
the food was very good. The buffets had everything and the dining room was very nice considering it was a buffet. I actually liked the buffet better than the restaurants. We went to the Calabash (gourmet) where I felt they tried to hard to be fancy - on a beach vacation. It is a shame that they throw out all the food. They should figure out some way to distribute the extra food to the jamaicans who really need it. What a waste!
The spa had a wellness pool which was worth the price of the trip. I also had a lovely massage on the beach.
They had entertainment at night. They try very hard and have a bunch of talented people and pretty elaborate for what it is.

1  Thank joanieNewYorkCity
Reviewed February 15, 2011

We just returned from a fabulous week (2/5-2/12) at the Iberostar Rose Hall Suites! We booked with Mark T. at TripGuy.com and he made sure that everything about our trip was perfect. We flew Jet Blue direct from Boston and were through customs and immigration quite quickly. Mark had arranged for a private transfer with Reggae Tours and they were waiting for us with a car seat for our three-year old. One note: it was a booster seat which I don’t think is normally recommended for under 4 and 40 lbs, but it was better than nothing. It was a quick 20 minute ride to the Iberostar with the driver pointing out lots of sites of interest along the way. When we arrived at the suites, we were a little disappointed to find there were no bellhops and the front doors were broken. As we struggled through the door with bags, golf clubs, etc. we thought it was an ominous sign but that was the only sour note for the resort. From that point forward, everything was perfect. Although we checked in at 1:00 pm., they had a wonderful room ready for us on the 4th floor. We were unpacked and eating lunch at the beach restaurant by 1:30. We went back to the lobby later in the afternoon and had no problem making dinner reservations for two nights and booking a tee time at Cinnamon Hill. A couple more highlights:
1. The beach is beautiful and much wider than we expected. Some reviews have complained about the seaweed – yes, there are beds but you can see them before you wade out and avoid them. The area right in front of the lifeguard chair is completely clear of seaweed.
2. The Star Friends were awesome with our daughter especially Kiki and MoMo.
3. We ate at the Steak Restaurant and the Japanese – both were very good but we found the buffets to be really enjoyable, too. Unlike Mexican resorts that we have been to, the buffets at the Suites were indoors (fewer flies!) and never seemed to be that crowded. The chefs were constantly refilling dishes with fresh food and there was an unbelievable variety.
4. The generous layout of the room allowed us to roll our daughter’s crib into the little corridor to the bathroom and close the door so we could watch TV/read after she went to bed without disturbing her. It was almost like having an extra room.
5. The spa is amazing – definitely check out the Roman Pool and Jacuzzi room. Get a massage if you have time!
6. We had no problem getting beach or pool chairs at any time of day.
7. There was a fantastic mix of people from all over the world who were very friendly. Plus, the pool has a nice layout so that the zero entry part is quite far away from the bar which meant that people getting rowdy were never near the groups of kids and vice versa.
I just cannot say enough great things about this resort. This was our first resort vacation with a child and it was completely stress-free and exceeded our expectations. We will definitely go back next year!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
#11 of 64 in Montego Bay
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
#1 of 1 in Ironshore

Been to Iberostar Rose Hall Suites? Share your experiences!