“Wedding of our dreams!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Wedding of our dreams!”
Reviewed December 13, 2010

Iberostar blew our expectations out of the water! This is my first time in Jamaica or at all inclusive, and I would get married there again in a moment! Ok, we went to Iberostar for our wedding with 34 friends and family (ages 13-85). On average everyone stayed for 4 or 5 nights. Everyone, and I mean everyone loved Iberostar!! Some of our guests are frequent travelers to all inclusive, and others have never left the states. And EVERYONE loved it- the beauty and class of the resort, the food and drinks, the pools, the Star friends, the entertainment, the proximity to the airport, the beach and ocean- they loved it all. And my husband and I are could not be more thankful or happy with Nicole (the wedding coordinator). She knows her stuff, and is on point. I am kind of type A personality so I wanted to know every detail of what I was paying for and what was going to happen, and Nicole rocked my world with her professionalism, knowledge, and service. Ok, I will break it down by category pertaining to the wedding:

Wedding package and service:
You only can choose one package to get married, and they have thought of everything to include! Once you choose Iberostar Nicole will email you a packet detailing what you want for the ceremony and reception. Trust me, she will make it happen it all come together. This is why I loved Iberostar, you get a wedding coordinator with the price, she did it all so me, my mom, all the guests were just relaxing and drinking. It made the wedding part of the trip completely free of stress. You can have a very ‘typical’ wedding if you want, or you can do whatever you desire (that is why it is awesome). We did a ‘typical’ wedding- walk down the aisle, ceremony, pictures, reception with food cake music and dancing- the whole nine yards! We got there 3 days before the wedding, we had a half an hour meeting with Nicole to make sure everything we requested was ready and to confirm prices. Then our wedding party did a 10 minute walk through and we went back to the pool bar. It was that easy!! And trust me, I would have meet with her all day if I needed to, but Nicole had everything perfect!

In the packet you choose venue, music, food, flowers, and any additional request. I was so worried about not having enough decorations, you look at all these wedding magazines or websites and you feel like you have to have elaborate table displays or thank you gifts, and that is not what a destination wedding is about! I brought with me wedding programs, sandalwood fans for the ceremony, guest book and pen, wedding rice in organza bags to throw, cocktail napkins with our names on them, and personalized mint tins as a thank you gift (one at each seat). Anything you bring, Nicole will set up for you, no worries! I liked to have a few items that made it personal (programs, mint tins, and napkins).

Ceremony:
We selected the lazy river area due to the number of people we had. We opted to stay out of the sand since I wanted to wear heels and my husband close toed shoes. We got married at 5:00 and the site was in the shade (perfect!). I was worried that we were going to roast in the sun, but the shade was a life saver. Nicole said that we could have moved the ceremony inside if I thought it was too hot or if it rained, but we got lucky with the shade and a breeze.
The minister, Paul, was wonderful. He was perfect with words and made us feel very special even though we just meet him. The ceremony music was from a cd player, and it worked out great. I used typical wedding music, so the wedding party would know their cues. Nicole took care of it all, and no one ever saw the cd player or thought it was tacky. After the ceremony we did a champagne toast and a big group picture!

Photographer:
Photographer was not bad. He took over 700 pictures and was really nice to everyone. The price was right, and we got to come home with a disc of ALL the pictures! When you go to select the pictures the next day, try to negotiate and you can get them all for the right price. Don’t be shy, they want your money and you want the pics! He came to the ‘girls’ room and the ‘boys’ room to get pre-ceremony photos of us getting ready and with our parents. Once the reception started I did not see the photographer anymore, but all the guests took so many pictures at the reception I didn’t even mind that he was gone.

Flowers:
The florist did great! Do not waste your money on extra flowers, the scenery is so pretty that you don’t need them outside. For the reception I wanted centerpieces for each table, so we asked Nicole to put vases on each table, and when we were being announced she grabbed the bridesmaids bouquets and used those for the centerpieces! It was perfect and saved us a bunch of money. “Jamaica is so cool that your guests do not care about flowers”, that is the best advice I got from a friend who also got married in Jamaica. I did white roses with purples orchids for my bouquet and the bridesmaids all purple orchids. Then the groom white rose and groomsmen purple orchids for boutonnieres.

Rehearsal dinner:
Take advantage of the group dinners they will schedule for you. We had our rehearsal dinner at Aunt Ruby’s steakhouse. The food was good and our guests loved that we could all eat together. Otherwise you have to make reservations separately when you arrive. Honestly, Jamaica in early June it gets very humid everyday around 5:00 or 6:00. Since Aunt Ruby’s is outside we had some uncomfortable guests. But the food is tasty, so you have to know what is best for you.

Reception Dinner:
We had it at Mediterranean restaurant and it was AWESOME! We did not even know about it, but there was a HUGE buffet of seafood appetizers, salads, cheeses, and breads. Plus, we also did not specify but there was a full bar! Literally it was awesome! Steak and lobster, plus all the appetizers. Not a single complaint! It was nice to have it inside, after the hot rehearsal dinner. We had 4 tables of ten set up- the wedding party at one, and the let the guests pick their seats at the other 3 tables. We still had big size big floor and 2 separate tables for the cake, and for guest book and cards.

Food and drinks overall:
This is the #1 thing everybody loved. We have some picky people that expect great food, and once again- NO ONE HAD ANY COMPLAINTS. The gourmet restaurant had once of the best steaks I have ever had, the Mexican was good, Aunt Ruby’s was delicious, and Mediterranean has good lobster. Buffet is a win, win. Always good and big variety. Plus, they had a mini buffet set up anytime at Aunt Ruby’s steakhouse (all the late sleepers loved this!). Plus, the room service! 24/7 room service- I can’t even tell you how much we used this!! We had some partiers in our group that ordered food every night at 3 and 4 AM, sure it took a while but at 3 AM that is expected. I do not know much about the daiuly dinner serervations because someone always reserved a spot for me.
The day of the wedding all the girls got our hair done, and came back to my room to get ready. We ordered room service and they delivered a bottle of champagne- it was perfect! We felt very taken care of and special. Everyone ‘cared’ that is our wedding and went out of their way to make sure we were happy.
The drinks are to die for! We went to a different resort for our honeymoon and missed the Iberostar drinks. The lobby bar has awesome espresso martini’s (actually, everything a the lobby bar is good). The dirty banana drinks are like heaven. If you like to drink, Iberostar will take of you, and with good tasting liquor!

Rooms and atmosphere:
Rooms are big, clean, and all have good views. We got an ocean front room and were right on the beach. Other guests stayed in all the different categories of rooms, and everyone had decent views of the water. Beds, tvs, showers- really the whole room was nice. And the resort was spotless!!! I mean super clean! Once again, out honeymoon place, was not as clean and it really made me realize how clean Iberostar is. You feel like you are at a Ritz it is so clean. They clean non-stop.
Some of our guests ended staying at the Beach Iberostar to save some money, and they were able to come hang with us whenever, it really was not a big deal to go from one resort or the other. They are right next to each other. I toured around the Beach resort too and it looked just as nice.
The disco, the entertainment, and the 3 different bar were so fun to give us a variety every night. We loved the disco- it was open late and the music was bumpin’! the cigar bar we all went to after the reception- it is a chill atmosphere. And they have good drinks there as well.

We picked Iberostar because it is big and we needed a variety of aspects for all the different guests. Trust me, it is big! It take a few minutes to walk somewhere or get to another section of the resort. But with all the space comes variety. Everyone of our guests were different, and they all felt liked they found something they wanted to do. We had people use the spa and workout facilities, go snorkeling (not a good spot to snorkel, dead reef), zip lining, golfing, take the free shuttle to shopping area, hang by the pool, use the lazy river, go to the steel drum beach party (with great buffet of jerk chicken!), sit by the pool, and so on. There is an area right in the lobby where you can plan your activities. Lots to do!!

What would I do different?:
Come at least one full day before all the guests- if you are bringing a big group I suggest going a day before they are all get there. We got there the same time as everyone else, and we got caught up drinking and having fun and never unpacked or learned our way around the resort. It would be cool to have some time to get used to the resort before the party began.

Music at the reception- I am really into music! We had a DJ set up during our reception. He was set up before any of the guests got to the restaurant, and he stayed from 7:00- 11:30ish. I had an IPod that he hooked up to his system, and we had specific songs ready for our entrance, first dance, dinner, and then general dancing. The DJ was good, but once my playlist ran out and he got to pick the music it got really interesting. So my advice is, if you care about music, create a playlist that will last for hours!!! He followed my playlist till it ran out, and was a very cool guy.

Managing a big group- get a list of the room numbers for each guests- we always had a tough time getting in touch with everyone, since everybody was doing their own thing. Maybe request that each guest has a list of each room number everyone is staying in. Or bring walky-talkies?!?! We had one group dinner planned (the rehearsal) and I wish we would have done another big dinner. Just give your guests options of things to do and try to plan group events for the meals. My guests are self sufficient so they would not have liked ‘mandatory’ group activities, but they liked options. I sent each guests a letter before we left with the ‘stuff to do’ and details about wedding time and location. I did SO MUCH research before we went that I wanted to share my knowledge it with all the guests.

Closing remarks: We felt to stay at Iberostar it was affordable- the atmosphere, food, and drinks are worth it. We did feel that paying over $1000 for the wedding package and also $18 per guest was on the high end for the wedding price, but I seriously know that it was worth every penny. The only do one wedding per day, and that is how it needs to be. It was our wedding day and everyone at the resort treated us great! Oh yeah, the hairstylists and nail tech were great- we all loved our hair! We wanted a stress free, fun, classy wedding, and we got it! Do not hesitate to get married here, if you like the amenities and the price, Iberostar will not disappoint.

Feel free to contact me if you have questions. When you ask my husband how he liked it, he says "it surpassed all my expecatations"! Here is to happy planning : )

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
11 Thank madflemi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,049)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
Reviewed December 8, 2010

It is supposed to be a family all-inclusive resort. Bottled water is restocked every 2 days, so if you have an infant with you better order a 200 liter tank of water prior to your arrival from Poland Springs. Staff is clueless of any adequate hospitality standards even though this place claims 5 stars. We were denied access to the public pool in the spa because we had a stroller. No primitive equipment in the business center, we rcvd an important business fax (marker URGENT) from US with a 3 day delay and after yelling at abt 10 people w/i 2 days we rcvd a fax dlvrd to our room w/o 1 of 5 pages missing from the faxed document. Housekeeping fails to comprehend what "DND" means and intrudes at 10 PM for the turndown service and despite yelling at them throught the closed door they insist on entering to sign a service waiver !!!! Floor in the room never gets cleaned. Food is disgusting !!! We were here with our friends, all 4 of us got food poisoning. You will see food passing through transformation - you will see shrimps grilled at dinner the first night, same shrimps you will see in the salad the second night, the third night you will see same shripms sauteed and the fourth night you will them in the seafood soup !!! The place is DEAD after 6PM, you won't be able to go to the beach or any pool. You are unable to make any restaurant reservation over the phone with concierge. Guest Services staff constantly makes out excuses and openly deceiving you. And if you want to enjoy a pleasant night with a loved one on the balcony in your room after 10:30PM with nice cocktail, better bring your own candles as this place shuts down the exterior light , so say hi to the night owl !!! And watch out for seeking medical attention here - you will get charged $35 for a band-aid by a doc on the premises ! Besides 'Yeah Mon', 'You're in Jamaica - no problem' and 'respect' - staff here doesn't speak any other English language.. This list is endless.. Enjoy your vacation here if you dare for the top dollar you have paid :)))). ... Oh, and there's no shampoo in spa and make sure you got spa here "empty-tanked" :)) as the staff here occupies guests' bathrooms !

• Stayed December 2010
6 Thank beachtroooper
S.W. Ontario
Reviewed December 8, 2010

Arrived for a four night stay around 2:30 on Dec. 2/10. Our room was not quite ready so they found us another one (I think our old one may have been a better location?). The rooms are very nice and clean with a flat screen - just as seen in the brochures. Nice and huge bathroom with the workmanship and attention to detail better than most of the resorts I have been to. Super comfy beds with good pillows. The hotel was not busy so loungers and dinner reservations were no problem. We ate at the Gourmet (not great with really small portions), the Japanese (Very Good - excellent rice), the Steakhouse (Excellent tenderloin) and the Mediterranean (Great wine - Casillero del Diablo) which we drink at home. One thing that i did not see before going was a limit on reservations - we should only have got two for a four night stay. I hate this rule. They did however allow you to book a reservation that day if you wanted to eat at a particular restaurant that night and they were not full. Very nice beach - big and roomy with some rocks as you walk in but good temperature. Pool was cold and I didn't even go in. Lots of activity at the pool and the drinks at all the bars are very good. The employees like tips but you do not feel obligated at all, and really what is a buck here and there of us? My husband golfed at White Witch and said it was really challenging (hardest course he has every played) and really nice. Worth the money - only $138US. The gym was a bit small but had pretty good equipment. All-in-all I would actually go back with my kids (I always say I would never stay at the same place twice), but I can't really knock too much about this place. A few things: I wish hotels would tell their employees to keep quite until after 8 am. I could hear some people yelling to each other around 6am - it didn't last, but still! I usually like a hotel with a bit bigger grounds to meander around. They don't have any really nice points of interest like fountains or statues to pose for pictures etc. The foyer is not really impressive and I like arriving to a really great entrance - it sets the tone. It seemed like most of the walking was to the elevators in the corridors. That is just me and being really fussy I guess. We did not see any shows, they start at 9:45, but we enjoyed the piano bar. This hotel is way better than the one we stayed in at Runaway Bay just in case anyone is comparing the two..

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank TravelAddict082
lancs, england
Reviewed December 8, 2010

This was our first trip to Jamaica but had previously been to a few all inclusive s in Mexico and we were not disappointed.
The short drive from the airport is a bonus both for arrival and departure. We were checked in and in our room in minutes. The rooms, as everyone else has commented are large, the bath was amazing and the little living room was a nice touch. our mini bar was re stocked daily and the towels changed nightly on the turn down service. We ate late most evenings and quickly learned to put your do not disturb sign out until we went for dinner.
After arrival, as recommended, we went to book our restaurants and got 6 booked straight away. As we were only there for 7 nights we left a night to try the buffet. There didn't seem to be a problem booking as many restaurants as you wanted. The hotel was far from full while we were there. We loved all the restaurants in particular the gourmet one but we would miss the Mexican one if you are struggling to choose as it was only ok, there was 3 tables that got up and left before finishing their meal. Be aware that most of the a la cartes offer a buffet starter and we felt that some of the food had been put out for the first sitting at 6.30 and by our sitting around 8.00 some of it didn't look so fresh. Also for some strange reason you are only allowed into the restaurant dead on your allocated time, we were made to wait outside with everyone else until exactly 8!
You also must go to the beach BBQ when they happen, we went to 2 while we were there and the food, cocktails and band were amazing.
The booze was freely flowing and i recommend asking for a dirty banana at the lobby bar! I thought the white wine tasted a bit like vinegar but the red was drinkable and my partner loved the red stripe, unfortunately this wasn't stocked in our mini bar.
We only went to 2 of the shows, we couldn't complain about them but they didn't really compare to some of the shows we saw in Mexico.
We managed to squeeze in a few trips, there is so much to see in Jamaica we will have to go back to do the rest! I highly recommend walking up the falls and seeing all the crocodiles, real and fake on the black river and then tasting some rum!
On a slightly different note, we thankfully didn't see any mosquitoes or see anyone around with bites.
Overall we loved the suits and would highly recommend it.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ketkoot
LaGrange Park, IL
Reviewed December 8, 2010

My wife and I spent the 1st week of Dec. 2010 at the Iberostar Suites in Rose Hall. This is a very beautiful Resort, cartefully gardened and manicured and kept very clean. Staff is always cleaning and sweeping. Lots of marble. The beach area is wide and has nice sand. We paid for a ocean view room but were given a room which was farthest from ther beach possible. We immediately complkained that we should be given a room closer to the ocean (the resort was nowhere filled to capacity). Later that day we were transferred to a third floor room midway between the Ocean and the restaurants, which was to our liking. The room was spacious with a hug balcony and bathroom. The toilet was positioned in a corner,k and adjacent to a glass shower door which did not fully seal. There were no grab-rails inside the shower.
The food at all the Dining Rooms was great. The lobster at the Mexican was forgettable but the seafood appetizers were a meal in themselves. The baby lamb ribs at the Gourment were excellent and lunch at Ruby's on the beach was always very good. Drinks were always top-notch and there was always staff to bring them if you so desired. The room mini-fridge was stocked with only (3) Real Rock beers every other day, which was barely adequate. The evening entertainment is the usual mix of audience participation but the event you do not want to miss is called Broadway Musicals, which is a lavish colorful Vegas type act which was absolutely fabulous. We heard it plays once a week at each of the (3) Iberostar Resorts, so if you miss it at the Suites, you might be able to see it at the Beach. On occasion you might see a member of the Star Staff do hand walks and headspins by the pool area. My wife and I won a tee shirt and a bottle of Rum playing a quick version of Bingo by the pool.
A free shuttle bus is advertised as taking you to the "hip strip" in M.B. but it seems this only leaves at 10:00 AM. A round trip cab into town, though only 10 miles, is about $40.00US.
The "Lazy River" is really slow and one of its shortcomings is that it does not wind past the Pool Bar, for a pit stop.
There is no bedside clock which I would have preferred to the phone hanging on the wall next to the toilet. No outside seating at Brealfast, which we enjoyed at other Resorts.
In summary, we found this to be a very nice resort, with the various Staff extremely engaging and accommodating. We easily give this Resort 4.3 stars.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RAM100
Houston, Texas
Reviewed December 6, 2010

We just got back from our stay at this resort, it was our first time going all-inclusive AND our first time in Jamaica. Iberostar Rose Hall Suites was wonderful. Because it was our honeymoon, we received a bottle of wine and t-shirts in our room (we later got the t-shirts tie-dyed by the pool). Our room was spacious with a gorgeous beachfront view, we were slightly disappointed that we weren't able to walk RIGHT out of our room onto the beach, but it was really no big deal. Just so everyone knows, no rooms offer walk-out access to the beach, but it seemed like no matter where your room was, you'd have a great view. The resort and beach was clean and we felt really safe the entire time we were at the resort.
We ate at the buffet, Japanese, gourmet, Mediterranean, and steak restaurants. All were really good but we especially preferred the Mediterranean and went back again while we were there.
We did wish that wireless internet service had been offered in the rooms, but it is free in the lobby and it looked like there was an ethernet port in our room but we didn't try it.
I feel like other than the beautiful beach and resort itself, the lasting memory for me will be the great staff -- everyone was friendly and funny (servers, Star friends, bartenders, housekeepers, front desk). I will definitely be recommending this resort to friends and family and I hope to go back again in the future!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rogersmeyer
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed December 6, 2010

First impressions when we arrive and escorted to our room was "wow this place is clean". I've been to Cuba and Dominican in the previous years and this place was clean and pretty new looking compare to the other hotels I've stayed at.

Best part of the trip was the food in my opinion. The part that almost got me mad was that I got an email from my travel agency (Transat vacations) 24 hours before we left, saying we were only allowed 3 a la carte restaurants. When we arrive we found out we were only guaranteed 3 a la carte restaurants but were allowed to make additional ones (if available) everyday. Just have to check every morning if there is openings. We stayed at the Suites so we had access to all of their restaurants. The only one we didn't get was the Japanese style restaurant. The buffet was very good. Every night they had different specials. One night was grilled lobster tails. Other night grilled seafood. Trust me when I say you will never be hungry. There is always one restaurant open during a 24 hr day. Plus if you don't want to leave your room there is always 24hr room service. Just be aware it can take up to one hour before your food comes. We had access to 2 buffets, the "Mirinda Hill" (Suites) and the "Little River" (Beach). 6 a la cartes: Mexican, Mediterranean, and Gourmet (All at the Suites). Japanese, Cajun, and Steak House (All at the Beach)
RATING FOOD: 5*

The hotel itself was perfect. Had all the amenities. Just make sure you check your map because its a pretty big hotel especially when you have to go to the beach resort to use the restaurants. Some of the amenities they had is a disco/club, music bar/lounge, billiards room, cigar lounge, slot casino, mini sports lounge, spa (wellness center is included just not the massages), shopping, theater, mini clubs(kids), sports park (tennis, basketball, soccer), gym, and probably a few more. Hotel was very clean. Rooms was great. Had a safe, came with bathrobes, and had a mini living room. Lucky for us our room was facing the pool/beach. Loving the shower because the shower head is directly above you, not the typical wall fixture. Now I want one in my home. You also get a double vanity and a huge bath tub.
RATING ROOM: 5*

The pool was awesome but the beach not so great. Staying at the suites you had access to your pool and the pool at the beach resort. We check out each one. Spent a lot of time at the lazy river. The pool does move but very slowly, so me and my friends had a race around it. That was fun. There is two other pools a smaller one and the big infinity pool. The infinity pool had the bar, so we naturally chilled there. Most pools are up to shoulder deep (I'm 5'11). The only thing suck was the beach itself. The sand is nice but the ocean itself sucked. As you walk into the ocean you first hit a layer of pebbles and rocks. As you go further out you hit a layer of mud. As you go even further out you hit a layer of seaweed. So all we use the beach for is volleyball and sun tanning.
RATING BEACH/POOL: 3.5*

If your into the boozing then you should try all of their drinks on the menu. Couple of good ones are the "krazy coconut", "Alexandria", "Pina Colada", Fantasy (made with fresh fruit). If you are at the pool bar, try the Glenroy special. Its his own drink which is pretty good. If you are about to go clubbing a need to get drunk quick, try the "suicide" at the lobby bar. I think the bartender name is Roman. We ask him to make us something to get drunk in a hurry cuz we were clubbing that night and he just threw six different liqueurs together. Some of my favorites, cuz you can mix your own stuff is, 1 part baileys, 1 part coffee liqueur on the rocks. The other is cranberry juice with couple shots of amaretto. You might find some of the drinks have little alcohol. Just ask for more when you order.
RATING BAR/DRINKS: 4.5*

The entertainment is great if you choose to participate in it. The Star friends or Friend stars are great. The funniest guy is probably crazy Kenny and Mo Mo. The club at the hotel is pretty good. The music is different each night. Some nights is Top 40 and dance, some other nights 70's style. Every night there is a different show at the theater. We went to see the dancing one and the comedy one. Its pretty good. If you are not shy try the events with the Star friends. If you win you get an award. You either win a bottle of rum or some t-shirts or gifts for the spa.
RATING ENTERTAINMENT: 4.5*

Some of the extra things we did outside the resort is Zip lining excursion, Dunn's River Fall, and clubbing outside the resort. The Zip line was a blast. The excursion is roughly 80-90 bucks. 1hr to drive to the mountains. We had 5 lines and the furthest zip line is around 1600 feet. Great view of the valley. The two guys running the excursion was funny. Dunn's river falls is a must do. We took the catamaran tour which included snorkeling and the falls. That is an all day trip. Cost roughly 105-110. When you climb the falls it is a pretty good challenge. You go with a group and you hold hands so its like a line. Make sure you buy some aqua shoes before you go. Its cost us only 8 bucks to get them at the shopping center. If you don't have them it cost 5 bucks to rent them. So its better buying your own for a couple of more bucks. The club I hit up was the Margritaville in Montego Bay. There is free shuttle from the resort (awesome). The club cost 10 bucks US. Go on a Saturday and make sure you are there after 1230-100. Club doesn't pick up until then. We were there at 1130 and its completely dead. Didn't make it to Pier 1 cuz my flight was next day at 7am.

Overall it was LEGEND........wait for it............-DARY......(Barney Stinson from HIMYM)

LOL!!!

(Note: you can get "hydro" easily from anyone)

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
#1 of 1 in Ironshore
3.5 of 5 bubbles 5,918 reviews
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay

Been to Iberostar Rose Hall Suites? Share your experiences!