“Fantastic for 2nd time! Use own taxi driver to see island.”

Iberostar Rose Hall Suites
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Rose Hall
GreenLeadersGold level
Rhode Island
“Fantastic for 2nd time! Use own taxi driver to see island.”
Reviewed August 29, 2010

This is my husband and I 2nd time with 2 sons 17 and 20 to the suites. We loved Jamaica and suites even more this time. Staff all over resort were friendly and fantasic, check in very fast. I can't say anything bad about place. Loved buffet for dinner better than all restaurants due to fantastic selection and quality at it. Jamaican corner in buffet very authentic and great to have all the time. We will be back again since we enjoy Jamaica and resort so much, maybe next time at grand since son will be over 18 by then.
Went to Negril per recomendation of a wonderful taxi driver we used for both trips. I would also say that instead of going on group tour hire taxi driver for same amount and you go at your pace not a groups pace. Driver will also stop along the way to show you different things you would never see on bus, and he will stay in area with you for day. Our driver Winston Housen has beautiful taxi van and is very proffesional,but friendly. He also hepled me get immediate medical help when I needed it.We kept his card so we could use him everytime we go there. His # is [--]. only taxi drivers who are checked and certified by hotel first can come on their grounds. We went to Negril and Mo Strip this visit, both very worth it. Beaches in Negril beautiful and Rick Cafe to see sunset on ocean well worth it. They have cliff and tree jumping by professionals on island, but also anyone can jump off cliffs where permitted. Teenagers wanted this so we went, so worth seeing. Water clear below sparkling clear. Jimmy Buffets Margaritaville also great stop for teens and youger kids due to 3 story slide and 2 trampolines in water. Doctors Cove beach stunning in Mo Strip too.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
6 Thank RhodeIslandCyndi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,073)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
phila.
Reviewed August 28, 2010

This is our 4th time to the Iberostar in Jamaica, 2 stays at the beach and this was our 2nd stay at the suites. We are a family of 4 with 11 & 14 y.o. boys. Also grandparents came along this trip. It was perfect for every age. Plenty of day time activities for the boys and the pool bar and activitiy staff provided alot for adults to do also .
I prefer to relax, read and enjoy a few cocktails. There were plenty of chairs at the pool and also the beach. We used the Catamarans and my husband and kids did a short snoreling excursion. We ate at the speciality restaurants every night but our first and enjoyed all of the . The buffet was great for breakfast and lunch and we did enjoy it for dinner one night. The staff is friendly and goes out of their way to accomodate any requests. We will definitely return for our annual Jamaica trip!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank burndoc
West Midlands England
Reviewed August 27, 2010

MBJ Airport was a nightmare, arriving on a Sunday 3 planes all arrived together so it took us 2 hrs to get through immigration so be aware. On arrival at the hotel, had no welcome, had to find waitress to get a cold drink. The hotel itself was very nice and well set out. Rooms where excellent clean, spacious, well stocked fridge, flat screen TV, loads of premiership football if interested, nice big balcony, massive bed,
Buffet restaurants was excellent, food was good quality and plenty of variety. We ate in the open sided restaurant on the beach at lunch time no air con, but menu was very nice and plentiful. If you book restaurants my advice is, do not book a table any later than 8:30 pm because the staff by 9:30 pm start laying the tables for the next day and you have trouble getting their attention, so you feel unwanted, if you go to the open sided steakhouse be sure to put insect repellent on because you will get bitten !
Beach was a big disappointment not the sand you would expect there, man made I thought, sea was like pond water, green and full of seaweed.You are limited to where you can walk, boundary fence's, either side of the Grand and Beach Hotels the other side of the one boundary fence in particular is full of locals trying to sell you their ware's and ganja mainly there are security people on the boundary fence though, the 'sellers' appear in kayaks, trying to sell their ware's.
Most of the staff are very friendly and greet you when you meet them 'yer man' and 'no problem' are the key words they use.
Enjoyed our stay there would recommend the hotel but after all, it is an Iberostar not the best location though.

4 Thank XxRichardxX
Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 26, 2010

Having read all the negative reviewes about Jamaicans I can not believe what people are saying. I have been to the beautiful island over 6 times and have always been treated with respect and many smiles. Are all you negative reviewers treating the Jamaicans as though you expect to be treated like royalty? I think you all need reality checks. You are a guest in there country and I,m sure you would expect no less in your home land form visitors.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank leavingPA4anywhere
Texas
Reviewed August 20, 2010

Stayed from Aug12-16. Room was comfortable and spacious, bed was super comfy! Resort is clean and well kept, the size of the resort is perfect, not too large and almost any room is just steps from the beach, and almost every room has a great view of the ocean. The ocean water is more green than blue, but the water is clear and very calm, the ropes began about 75 feet from the shore and the water gets deep pretty quickly from the shore, but still plenty to enjoy...we enjoyed the night beach party on Thurs night and Saturday during the day, the live steel drum band and Jamaican food on the beach was awesome!! The food and drinks at the resort were great, lots of Jamaican fare to choose from, we ate at some local spots and the food at the resort was better. The onsite disco was great, great music, drinks and dj!! Had a great stay and would def return!!

5 Thank blubeach4me
Chesapeake, Virginia
Reviewed August 19, 2010

Just got back Monday evening from the exact vacation I wanted. I wanted to relax, have fun and just not have to "think"! It was perfect! The hotel was beautiful! The decor was different, funky and fun. One girlfriend wanted to pack everything (lamps, couches, chandeliers, etc) and take it home with her.
We arrived before our rooms were ready so we went to have lunch at the buffet. The wait staff was so friendly and accommodating and joked along with my crazy girlfriend.
Our first evening we ate at the steak house. Because it was the birthday weekend for one of my girlfriends, the staff brought out this pretty flaming drink & designed her dessert plate to read "Happy Birthday"! If that wasn't enough, on her actual birthday, we came back from a day trip at Dunn's River and there was an actual birthday cake waiting in her room!
The hotel property was beautiful. Jason at the front desk hooked us up with GREAT rooms! Probably the only "complaints" (and I use that word very loosely) I have is there needs to be more "night life" and some of the food.
There was a beach party the first night we arrived...but then that was it. I'm in Jamaica...there's and entertainment staff...there needs to be more entertainment. The disco didn't open until 11pm so with the exception of a show in the theater, there was really nothing to do after dinner.
Overall, I would give the food a B- ...but the desserts would actually get a C- or D+...coming from a group that loves sweets especially after dinner...we were thoroughly disappointed. There was a LOT of food variety...but since I was in Jamaica, I would have loved to eat more authentic Jamaica cuisine.
By FAR the best restaurant was the Gourmet restaurant that we ate at our last evening. EVERYTHING (including the dessert) was delicious!!
Don't waste your time or your taste buds at the Jambalaya restaurant. It was nice that the chef came out to talk to us...but the food was sub par at best! The lobster bisque tasted like Campbell's Tomato Soup. I never had a rib eye steak that came out already sliced!
Those things were just something that my girlfriends & I laugh about because the overall trip was an absolute DELIGHT!!
The hotel was beautiful and the staff made it their job to see to your needs. Everyone was polite and with security located all over the property I felt secure at all times.
Great job Iberostar...I can't wait to go back again!!

4 Thank akadeanie
Kingston, Jamaica
Reviewed August 18, 2010

This hotel is large and a lot of thought and planning has gone into making the place look "grand." However, they fall short on customer service/satisfaction. The staff are clearly minimally trained so they can serve but do not expect anything extra like a smile or a "how is your vacation so far?" I suspect there is a high turnover, so no people investment.
I drink red wine only and throughout this vast hotel, I could only get the "house wine" which was not to my likening therefore, I could not have my drink of choice.
The food is very basic, nothing "grand" here or forward thinking and room service is also basic.....not a memorable experience at all!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 63 in Montego Bay
Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay

Been to Iberostar Rose Hall Suites? Share your experiences!