“Excellent Resort ; wonderful staff !”

Iberostar Rose Hall Suites
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Rose Hall
GreenLeadersGold level
Massachusetts
“Excellent Resort ; wonderful staff !”
Reviewed February 11, 2009

My wife and I recently returned from the Iberostar Rose Hall Suites and we will return.

The people, service and food were excellent. The rooms were new, nicely appointed and room service was very good.

The beach was very nice. Plenty of chairs and palapas.Tip - toed into the water over some stones but about waist deep just smooth sand. We never felt we needed water shoes. Drink service on the beach. The pools are very nice with the main pool being an infinity pool/swim up bar; also with drink service and an ice cream cart.

As stated before; the staff is what makes this resort great.
Starting at the top ; Resident Manager and everyone who works for her, at this casual/elegant resort. Bell men very helpful and courteous. If you need to jump over to the Rose Hall Beach; they were more than happy to gift you a lift via golf cart. If anyone had a problem; Public Relations was always there to help.

Entertainment was very good. The theater is beautiful , air conditoned and very good drink service. Near the theater there is a Music Bar which has a jazz/blues quartet ,with a male lead singer, various nights of the week. Nights of operation are posted outside the lounge. Nice place to just sit and listen to some fine music. There is a disco which opens at 11:00PM. Never went there.

The Star Friends work very hard and they are very respectful. If we wanted to join in ; fine, if not , they never bothered us. Horseshoes, bocce ball, volleyball, archery, etc. etc.. Plenty of activities to keep one busy and a chance to meet some great folks. This is a family resort and children are always entertained and receive awards, before the evening show, in the theater.

Complimentary internet cafe which was good and at times came in very handy. BTW our Verizon cell-phone DID NOT WORK in Jamaica. Make reservations for the ala carte restaurants upon arrival to ensure favorite times to dine. The buffet was also very good. Lunch was served daily at Aunt Ruby's and you can dine inside or outside. Aunt Ruby's transforms into the Steak House ala carte in the evening. Good steak !

We look forward to our next trip to this lovely resort.

Peace!

• Liked — Everything was new !
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Singer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,054)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
Toronto
Reviewed February 11, 2009

First off - the reviews from everyone else are fairly true for the most part, about the staff and the cleanliness. As for saying this is the # 1 resort in Jamaica, I can only hope this is not true; this is my first time to Jamaica and I sure did not get the feeling I was in Jamaica at this resort.

First let’s make some clarifications when writing reviews for this hotel; there are 3 IBEROSTAR in the same compound. After reading the reviews I realize now that I am back, and know the 3 property, some people is confused and writes reviews for the Iberostar Beach Hotel, under the Iberostar Suites Hotel reviews.
Hotel #: 1 – Iberostar RoseHall Beach
Hotel #: 2 – Iberostar RoseHall Suites
Hotel #: 3 – Iberostar RoseHall Grand (adults only).

Now here are my reviews:
My family (myself, wife, & my 2 yrs old kid) stayed at the Iberostar Rosehall Suites from Jan 17th – 24th in Suite #: 3328; we had a great view of the pools and beach area.

If you are a beach person I don’t think this place is for you. These 3 properties combine have a beach the size of 3 minutes walk from end to end. There is no long beach to walk on, it is not even wide, and truly the beach is narrow and very short. I later found out by talking to one of the lifeguard, there were no beach in this location to begin with. The sand is very course and grainy because of lots of shells and other materials ground up to make this man made beach. Beyond the border of the property there is no other beach you can continued on, since it’s all bushes, all the way down to the water edge. Hotel 2 has the widest spot for the entire beach, it looks nice in the flyer “huge beach” – well put all 3 resorts together, 3 minutes walk total, and that’s it [game over] no more beach.
Another story about the beach! People from hotel 1 & 2 cannot go to hotel 3 beach, they literally have a guard posted on the beach that stops you from going further than hotel 2 beach, so that cuts your beach walk to only 1 minute & 45 seconds end to end.
The water in the beach is real nice until you get to about 20ft. out, after that it’s all seaweed which millions of the leafs is broken off and floating around in the water all the time. When I got out of the water couple of them latches onto my skin (they have some kind of a white stuff growing on them). The leafs itches real bad, until I got some alcohol from the bar and applied it to my skin; I then applied some cream / lotions on the spot, and this took care of the problem, but it also leave a mark on my skin for a couple of days.
The pool is nice but cold, not too many brave souls in there. The lazy river has lots of bugs in there, and the water is murky you cannot see too well. The pool bartender Glenroy is a very nice person to chat with, and he mixes up a wicked Glenroy special for you.

Onto the food: The types of food offered here is more Spanish oriented for the most part. There is no good Jamaican food available e.g. Jerk chicken & peas & rice, Ackee & Salt-fish, Curry stuff.
1 – Peas & rice simply does not have any flavor.
2 – There is no Jerk Chicken; they have a rotisserie chicken [no flavor], and there is some jerk sauce on the side that you add to make it jerk chicken.
3 – As for breakfast, there is no Ackee & salt-fish – none of the days while I was there.
4 – There was some curry goat 1 night in the buffet, which was very good; after that there is no more curry stuff for the rest of the week.
5 – You eat lunch everyday at the “Palapa”, whatever is left over from the specialty restaurant the previous evening; it is there for you to munch on all day.
6 – Specialty restaurant: Mediterranean – lobster not good, Mexican – Lobster was very good, Japanese – Don’t even bother - no good, some people from the U.S. sitting next to me called it sushi out of the refrigerator.

This hotel only plays Bob Marley music at the pool during the day, American music during the night at the theatre, and Spanish and American music at the club. There is no reggae music e.g. (Buju Banton, Dem Man Deh, Shaggy, Sean Paul, and so on). I don’t know if the manager doesn’t wonder why he is alone dancing by the door of the club, and only 3 people on the dance floor.

Tours – I did not get to do any; I have never seen any tour guide in hotel 2, I went to hotel 1 and the guide there always seems bothered when you ask a question, they just give you flyers to read and that’s it. Hyron the bellboy made arrangements for Thursday to have us tour Negril 7 miles beach and Ricks café – it rained all day and I was told it was not possible to see the famous sunset in that weather.

I went with my family same time last year, for under $1500 to (Cuba – Varadero – Oasis Brisas Del Caribe) this is a 4 star resort, and it was much better than this Iberostar for the $4000 I spent. The main problem with this hotel is they miss that Jamaican touch. This is not supposed to be a Mexican, Dominican Republic, or Cubans experience; it is supposed to be a JAMAICAN experience. I guess I am a bit disappointed that I had saved up so much to come to Jamaica, and I did not feel that Jamaican experience. Next time I’ll try to do some tours maybe this will give me the Jamaican ‘IRE’ feeling – Yeah Mon!

• Liked — Staff.
  • Disliked — Food Selection, Beach.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
5 Thank TMan_2009
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed February 10, 2009

Every year my band goes on vacation together after we've spent some time touring, and Iberostar rocked! The food was outstanding, and the hotel staff was very accomodating. We love to eat and couldn't get enough of the mouthwatering Caribbean recipes that were served up at this great resort. We're coming back. Iberostar is good, clean fun!

Stayed January 2009
1 Thank Rockstar_9
Wisconsin
Reviewed February 6, 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Iberostar Rose Hall Suites from Feb 1 - 5, and I want to add to the previous glowing reviews.

We arrived at 12:30 on a Sunday and assumed we would have to wait for our room, but the front desk made a call to the maid staff and by the time we finished check-in and our Miami Vice welcoming drink our room was ready. The bellman gave us a nice overview of the room and amenitities and we were at the pool within an hour of getting off the bus.

Our room was very nice. We won the trip through a promotion, and so our expectations were low, but they upgraded us to a really nice room on floor 2 (actually the third floor) with a beautiful view of the pool and ocean. When we were there the hotel was at most 40% full, but an upgrade on a free room was a nice touch.

The lobby and grounds are beautiful and well maintained. There are so many chairs at the pool and beach I can't imagine any problems finding a nice spot to sit even if they were 100% full. We found the buffets to be good for an AI, and the specialties we ate at (Steakhouse, Gourmet, Mediterranean) were all very good, the only clinker was my wife's ribeye was tough and had a lot of gristle. The Gourmet was our favorite.

What really makes this place stand out is the service. There are lots of nice hotels in beautiful locations, and this is certainly one, but at this hotel the employees make the difference. Everyone was so friendly and helpful and seemed to really enjoy their jobs. One day we talked to lifeguard Gregory on the beach for an hour. We aren't big on poolside activities but they had plenty of them and the Star Friends tried to get people involved without being pushy. From check-in to check-out we were treated great, and we're already looking forward to going back.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
7 Thank loadwarrior
West Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed February 4, 2009

Well done Iberostar!

My wife and I are seasoned international and all inclusive travellers. Our stay at the Rose Hall Suites was one of our best all inclusive experiences. The property gets top marks from us on all fronts except the beach and vegetation. If you are a beach walker like we are the beach is only 250 meters long. Most new properties lack vegetation...Iberostar needs to plant a few dozen palm trees on the property and beach to make this property perfect.

The food was the best we ever had at an all inclusive resort!
The staff were fantastic! Iberostar did an amazing job designing and building the property. The ocean front room we stayed in was definately 5 star. The bed is great, as good as the Westin's new heavenly beds. The free in room internet was a nice touch.

We will definately recommend this property to anyone planning a vacation to Jamaica.

• Liked — room and food
  • Disliked — beach
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
7 Thank DrBeach77
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed January 30, 2009

We arrived late at night to a sparkiing new hotel and couldn't wait to see our rooms. We were not dissappointed. Here is my review, the staff at the hotel deserve all the praise I'm about to dish out.
Lobby-Gorgeous with many unusual pieces of art, and very modern, lots of marble everywhere.
Rooms-Spacious gorgeous bathrooms, spotless and best of all was the mattress which I wanted to take home. I never slept so comfortably, not even at home. Room service was wonderful and discreet. They even folded our clothes for us!
Pools- Not heated, but beautiful huge infinity pools. Loungers always available. Pool service was constant and there were always lifeguards around the pool.
Beach-Key for me as I am a beachbum and the sand was soft, not too hot on the feet, cleaned on a daily basis from seaweed that washes up on the shore. The waters turquoise and tranquil. I am not one for rough waters and the natural reef surrounding this area kept the waters calmer and clear.
Food- Outstanding. Sweetest lobster tails I have had in years. Cuisine was top notch and even the buffet at lunch was always fresh and interesting. The roasted chicken was amazing, so was the fish and the tomatoes!!!
Restaurants- We went to all of them and were not disappointed with any of them. We were told the Japanese restaurant wasn't as good as we would expect, so in all honesty, we did not go to find out. We went to Mexican, Gourmet, Mediterranean, Cajun, Steakhouse. All excellent.
Staff- They have team of people whose job it is to make sure you are having a superb time. We fell in love with the "Star Friends" who entertained us day and night. Even the bellman Fitz made us feel so welcome. The staff, right down to the landscapers were all friendly and very gracious. Thanks to Alecia, Shane, Kenny, Monkey. Leon and anybody else I have forgotten to mention. You made our trip!!!
Theatre-We attended every night and the dancers and singers were amazing. Wonderful productions, talented people and great choreography. We loved participating in the after show group dance.
Everything about this place was outstanding, I am just afraid it will catch on and we won't be able to afford to go back!!!!

• Liked — The Climate, the cleanliness, the food, the people.
  • Disliked — The temperature of the pool.
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Relaxedandhappy34
Kansas City
Reviewed January 29, 2009

If you want the short and sweet - IT WAS FABULOUS! Would go back in a heartbeat!

Details:

Dates of vacation: December 18-23
Family: Myself, husband, 15 year old daughter, 11 year old son
Purchased vacation through Apple Vacations

Checkin: For some reason everyone seems to comment on check in - wouldn't be a determining factor for me - but it was a breeze - got there around 1 or 2 pm - our room was ready, changed - went straight to get some lunch and then pool time!

Pools: They were GREAT - rather chilly if the sun wasn't out but beautiful. The main pool was the "infiniti" pool - it was great - it had the swim up bar which my husband enjoyed! It also had an area that the lounge chairs could actually sit in the water... so you got the best of both worlds. Also there was the lazy river... it was nice, not as clean as the other pools but relaxing! There was also the pool that had basketball. Husband and son had a lot of fun with that! Plenty of lounge chairs. Never had to play the "save the chair" game! Plenty of shade, sun or beach chairs... whatever you wanted, you could get! The kids absolutely loved the icecream by the pool!

Food: The food was good. Yes, the buffets pretty much had the same food all the time especially breakfast and lunch. But it was fine. We ate lots of lobster and other good food. Was it great? No. Specialty restaurant. We were able to get a specialty restaurant each night. The Cajun was my least favorite with the Gourmet being my most favorite. Kids and food: well, my son is unbelievably picky. He pretty much ate pizza the whole time. The hamburgers were a little funky - they seem to add garlic salt or something to them. I would probably bring a bottle of Italian dressing with me next time so that he could eat some salads. My daughter isn't quite as picky and found things to eat. Room Service: okay. Again, the American food items were not what we think of... but trust me, no one starved!

Rooms: Our room was perfect - it was spacious - we had two double beds plus the pull out sofa. Maid service was fine... had no problems... they ran kinda late some days but nothing that we couldn't deal with. Bathroom: please note that this place just opened in October.... so I was a little surprised to see the corners of the shower were a little yucky... again - not a big deal - just a surprise since the resort had only been open a few months. No towel art.... :(

Weather: When I look at review - I try to read reviews of people that were at the resort at the same time of year as I am planning...we were there mid-December. It was warm. We slept with the doors open. But it wasn't HOT. We had some rain showers... none that lasted all day. It was pretty windy. And I would say we had clouds every day. Probably will try for November this year and see how it is.

Beach: The sand was nice. Didn't really find many shells. But there was a beach and it was nice sized. The water was cool but the kids got in a little. The water isn't that beautiful aqua blue in Mexico - but it was pretty.

Entertainment: The entertainment people around the pool were great! My kids absolutely loved them! They stayed busy. They played bocci ball, ping pong, beach volley ball, beach soccer, bingo, the Jesus walk (walking on water), darts, airsoft guns , and much much more. The evening entertainment was ok. Some of it bordered on inappropriate for my kids. But it was something to do.

Tipping: We took about $130 in ones and used them all. We tipped at all meals (only $3 dollars or so for breakfast or lunch, closer to $10 for dinner, $3 or 4 for housekeeping). At the pool, I would ask the girl serving drinks if she was going to be around all day - I would give her $5 in the morning... we had drinks brought to us all day and great service! First time I have ever been called "mi'lady"!

The People: WONDERFUL! Not only the employees but the guests. We met tons of great people. Lots of people from Canada, a couple from Germany, a lady from Austria, and a couple from England.

Excursions: we did not go on any. We enjoyed the resort so much, we didn't leave. I heard that you probably don't want to do the all day thing to Dunns Falls... they only spend half a day there and the other half at some craft fair. You are better off just doing the half day and skipping the craft fair thing.

Would we go again - ABSOLUTELY!

• Liked — It was beautiful, new and super friendly people.
  • Disliked — Food for kids and bathroom showers.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Iberostar Rose Hall Suites? Share your experiences!