“Really great, but not perfect!!”

Iberostar Rose Hall Suites
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Rose Hall
GreenLeadersGold level
Ottawa, Ontario
“Really great, but not perfect!!”
Reviewed March 16, 2014

My wife, our 4 year old daughter and I loved the hotel, but it was not love at first sight! In fact, we got a very bad first impression! I will explain. The positive: the facilities are amazing – very beautiful, luxurious and clean. The food was excellent everywhere. I did really appreciate that traditional Jamaican food was available at the buffet. The restaurants, bars and entertainment excellent. The staff was very friendly and service oriented, except for the Front Desk/Reception (they never smiled!). Now the negative: we arrived at the hotel late (at around 23:00). Even though we had upgraded to an "Ocean View" suite, we were given a room overlooking another building, with no view to speak of. In addition, the AC in that room did not work (it was about 35 C in there). When we called the Front Desk to ask for another room with a working AC and the view we had paid for, we were dismissed. The attendant said that "there was nothing he could and that we should call back in the morning". I suspected that he might be trying to pass on the problem to the day "shift"! I eventually got another room, but only after I went to the Front Desk in person that night, and “really” insisted. This took about an hour! In the meantime, my 4 year old was sitting in our overheated room, hungry and tired. It was about midnight. This should not have happened in a 5 star hotel! We encountered the same lack of cooperation and bad service from the Front Desk on departure, when we asked for a late check out (because of our late flight (21:30)). I had to go back to the Front Desk three times, and each time I was told to come back at a different time: I was "told" (not “asked”!) to come back the night before we were scheduled to leave. Then, I was told to come back the morning of our departure. Finally, when I did go back that morning at the prescribed time, I was told that it was too late, and that there was no availability. I eventually managed to get a late check out after all (at a cost), but only after insisting to speak with the supervisor on duty!! Not first class service there either!! I hope that these Front Desk problems can be addressed. Everything else was really great. This hotel has the potential of being one of the very best hotel in Jamaica.

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

9 Thank Member252
SantoValdez, Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica at Iberostar Rose Hall Suites, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
Dear Guest,

On behalf of the staff and in particular the management team; we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar for your vacation. It pleases us to know that you have found our Rose Hall Suites property to be a great one. Here at the Iberostar Rosehall Suites we always seek to have provided our valued guest with the highest level of customer service while vacationing with us as guest satisfaction is one of our top priorities.

We realized that the vast portion of your comment was about the service you received from our front desk staff and I would just like to use the medium to extend an apology for any inconvenience that occurred to you and your family on the first night of your stay with us. This incident is not a true depiction of our standard of operation and rest assured the issue has been brought to the attention of the respective manager and will be addressed to avoid a reoccurrence of such.

Once again we appreciate your selection of our property for your vacation and we look forward to seeing you soon for another great vacation.

Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,064)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed March 16, 2014

We used to be Varadero regulars, but the food quality did not meet our expectations anymore... Last year, we appreciated very much the amenities at Iberostar Punta Cana, but unfortuantely, 3 out of 4 got badly sick due to food poisoining... So we decided we needed to go one more step up and decided that a 4-5 star hotel with 90% satisfaction level in Jamaica should cut it!!! Well, Iberostar Rose Hall Suites delivered big!

As a family of 4, what we loved (all of these were well beyond our expectations):
- Short distance from airport (20 minutes)
- Extremely clean everywhere
- Great room, bed and bathrooms
- Excellent pool for kids and adults (infinity pool right off the beach, water bar, sports pool)
- AMAZING buffet and a la carte restaurants (food diversity, abondance and taste was so much better than we needed - we had to skip meals to prevent excessive weight gain)
- Great evening shows for adults.
- Very friendly, calm and servicable staff everywhere!

What could be better to some people (I am being very picky here...):
- Kids water structure was nice, but lacked interactive features (like water guns or alternating features)
- No organized entertainment/games for 10-16 years old.
- Without making any judgement on it (as our 6 year old did not want to go), but kids club did not appear to be well attended... must be a reason...
- Lazy river was just a bit too lazy!

All in all, we could not be more pleased by our stay there! This one will be a really hard one to match or beat, if we ever decide to try elsewhere...

The only reason we would go elsewhere is because:
- We believe we can't handle so much good food (weight gain...)
- The new place would have better/more activities for 8-14 years old...

BTW: Kudos to our bus driver on the way back to our airport... He did an amazingly heartfelt speech on how pleased he was that we choice Jamaica (as it allows many of them to maintain a decent standard of life)... It may us feel even better about spending our holiday money there... We'll be back to Jamaica!

Room Tip: We had friends at one of the other 2 Iberostar hotels beside us, so be aware that the Iberostar Suit...
2 Thank dgks549
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar once again for your vacation spot. We would like to thank you for the opportunity you have given us to extend our hospitality to you and your family while vacation with us here at the Rose Hall Suites property.

It pleases us to know that you found this resort a fantastic one and the review of your vacation is much appreciated as this encourages us to continue proving our excellent service towards our present and future valued guest.

We are also happy to know that you found our staff to be accommodating as this is a priority of our company to ensure that our guest receives the high quality hospitality that it deserves. We look forward to seeing you again.

Bexleyheath, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 16, 2014

I have just spent 2 weeks at the Iberostar Rose Hall Suites (IRHS) from 27th February to 13th March 2014 with my wife and we've had another great holiday.
This was our 9th trip to Jamaica and our 2nd to Iberostar, having previously stayed at the Beach resort. Just as the previous visit we had a fantastic time yet again. I’ll try and give some explanation of why it was so good and hopefully potential travellers will find it useful – as always feel free to contact me direct if you have any specific questions.
I arranged this trip for my wife’s birthday – she’s still 21 and we were celebrating the 29th anniversary of it!
The Suites is definitely a step-up from the Beach (although we’d still be happy to go there) –
Food ranged from Very good to Good, which is no mean feat for a resort this size. The speciality restaurants provided a step up from what is a very good buffet option but with excellent service from attentive staff. Favourite was the Gourmet (just) with all the others close 2nd.
Service – this was amazingly good wherever we were in the resort. The staff were all polite and attentive and always delivered with a smile, with many even remembering your name somehow. They all showed the best of the Jamaican hospitality and were without doubt the best we’ve experienced in our 9 visits.
Beach & pools – The main pool is a good size and is well set-up for swimming, sunbathing on the shallow shelf and fun & games courtesy of the Star Friends (more about them later). There is also an activities pool where kids played in the early morning and then later in the day it was volleyball, water polo and basketball. There are lots of sunbeds around them both to lounge on. For 2 days there were some issues getting a bed as some guests were up v early and reserved many, often 1 in the shade and 1 by the pool thus causing problems. This was soon "fixed" by the hotel management though, thankfully.
The beach is a well equipped with beds and shade and the sea is very clear. Right at the front of the hotel it does have more pebbles/rocks which you can either walk through (not too difficult) or walk 10-15 metres both sides and step in via a sandy approach.
There is a good selection of things to do such as windsurf, sail a hobie cat, kayak and there is even a small reef which is good to snorkel at with a wide range of fish.
There is also a small “lazy river” in the gardens which the kids seems to really enjoy even though it’s not particularly long and pretty much self-propelled rather than a current of sorts.
Bars – There is a good number scattered throughout the property and we visited them all. Bartenders were excellent and even though some bars seemed to have less staff than ideal they did a good job of quickly serving guests, though in some places 1 or 2 more bartenders would be better. The lobby was a good place to have a pre-dinner drink (Delroy was the top bartender in particular) and sometimes enjoy the live music. The bars in the Disco and the Blue Moon music bar were very efficient and in the main theatre it was either via the Bartender or more often we utilised the waitresses that were always buzzing about the audience.
The pool bar was a great place to be around and special mention has to go to – Christopher & Jules. Really hard working guys who also managed to be great fun at the same time!
Around the pool area and the beach there are many waitresses wandering around taking orders and this time we have to mention Cassandra and Nicole in particular who were efficient and always smiling. You could actually never go to the bar and still get good service from the waitresses.
Rooms – a good size, well equipped and kept very clean by the housemaids. In ours we had a large king size bed, lots of space for clothes etc. There is a small fridge that is stocked with soft drinks and some beers. There is also a space which has a small couch, a desk and of course TV, radio, coffee facilities etc. The AC worked well too. Outside was a reasonably large patio/balcony area (We were on the 3rd floor and had a great view of the pools and gardens as well as some beach and ocean)
Entertainment – We enjoyed the shows which we went to every night. Some were really very good and others were a bit of fun, like the ideal couple (which we won!) etc. I’m on holiday and here to relax and have some fun and this delivered what I wanted, especially as I don’t go expecting West End London quality as some people strangely seem to.
The Star Awards was one of our favourites with a mix a really good quality and really hilarious elements.
After the shows we would go to the Blue Moon bar where either we joined in some karaoke. I can’t sing too well and still did although I confess my Bob Marley rendition sounded more like Bob the Builder!
Then some nights we went to the “Mango Walk Disco” The music was quite varied and some nights it was very quiet and others very busy – either way we had great fun listening, dancing and watching the music videos as well as more drinks from the well served bar. We didn’t make every night though.
Finally; The Star Friends. These guys were simply brilliant. From around 10am until c. midnight they are doing their best to make your holiday fun. If you don’t want to join in then no problem but I would recommend it, you never know you might have a laugh! I joined in some games, even winning some. I joined my wife (and lots of other people) for the pool aerobics at 12pm each day. You can play volleyball, run across the pool on a magic carpet (honest), play boccia ball, learn to dance Jamaican style and even join the beach Olympics amongst many other things. I would recommend leaving your inhibitions at home and joining in you might just have some fun. I’m the short overweight 48 y/o English guy who joined in most stuff and had a ball. It’s fair to say though that the Star Friends make an enormous difference in this being a good holiday and a Fantastic holiday. So special mention to; Peaches, Stingray, VIP, OMG, MoMo, Chilli, Cupid and Raphael who simply made our holiday the best we’ve had yet and that’s after 9 trips to Jamaica and 17 to the Caribbean.
Without a doubt we will be back – Jamaica is our favourite island and after 9 visits to Jamaica, IRHS is our No.1 choice. If anyone wants to ask any questions feel free to contact me and I’ll reply as quickly and as best I can.

Finally, I would like to make a special thanks to – Andrew Wright (Iberostar) who helped me ensure that my wife won’t forget that she celebrated her 21st birthday (29th anniversary!) in her favourite place.

Room Tip: They all seem to be fine - we were in block 3 overlooking the pool
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank DavidLF
Dear Guest,

On behalf of the staff and in particular the Manager; we would first of all like to thank you for choosing Iberostar for your vacation. As the subject of your comment stated: “Simply the best yet…” we make it priority to ensure that our valued guests receive the highest level of customer service while vacationing with us.

It pleases us to know that you had a wonderful time where at the Rose Hall Suites property I would also like to use this medium to congratulate both you and your Wife’s 21st Birthday (29th Anniversary).

Your review of the Hotel was very detailed and I know for sure that travelers who have the Rose Hall Suites hotel at interest, will have this review as a great help towards making the right decision. While you were pleased with the friendliness of the staff we’ve also noted that you’ve mentioned a few people who were outstanding and contributed significantly towards your vacation making it a great one. Delroy, Christopher and Jules from the bar, Nicole and Cassandra the cocktail waitress, Staf friends you’ve mentioned: Peaches, Stingray, VIP, OMG, MoMo, Chilli, Cupid and Raphael and finally Andrew from the guest services; all these individuals who put out the effort in ensuring that you had a memorable and great experience we will share your review with and congratulate them on their input.

We are also pleased to know that you’ve enjoyed the facility and once again we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar for your vacation and we know we will see you again.

Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed March 14, 2014 via mobile

A few things to mention,,,,this is a very kid friendly resort. We traveled aith 2 other couples so the kids were more than we expected. The lazy river is great and the adults only beach was perfect for us even though it's really far from the bar or lunch. Bring tip money, it's expected. Dinner restaurants were great! The Italian was the best of them all. Their jerk chicken was fantastic throughout the resort. You have to get up pretty early for a lounge chair anywhere in the resort. Do NOT pre pay for a round trip cab ride through the resort or the tour reps that sit in the lobby outside the store. We traveled to doctors beach and Margaritaville one day and booked a tour through Real Jamaica Tours for 'secret falls' which was the highlight of the trip. Check them out on TrioAdvisor. The rooms were really comfortable and quiet. The staff was excellent throughout the resort. Everything was within walking distance. The gym was even nice for a resort. As for the beach, the sand was soft but it's not a big beach and the snorkeling wasn't that great. We brought a beach blanket and a Bluetooth speaker which was nice on the adult side. Rosetta is the waitress who brought us drinks and lunch on the beach, a huge plus and she's super nice! Overall, it was a nice resort with nice facilities. Our first time to Jamaica and would likely stay in an adults only next time with a bigger beach.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank MrsGollan
Dear Guest,

On behalf of the hotel management and staff, we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar for your vacation. It pleases us to know that you had a great time while vacation with us. Your review of our Rose Hall Suites property is much appreciated as this is of much help to our travelers who’ve always use trip advisor to make their vacation sport decision and in addition it motivates us to continue improving our quality service as it is in the best interest of our future and present guest. Once again thank you for choosing the Iberostar and we look forward to seeing you again.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 13, 2014

The size of facility is great because it offers a lot of options and things to do. The main pool was a fun, energetic feel. The beach was more laid back. Both areas had a lot of choice between sunny spots and shade (which is nice for the middle of the day). I liked that there were several lifeguards at the pools and beach. The bars were busy but it was never too long of a wait to get a drink.
The food at the buffet was decent – what I would expect when you are trying to feed so many people. The individual restaurants offer a better dining experience. I would suggest making reservations as soon as you get there because all they fill up fast.
This is a great option of you are traveling as a family with kids as there is a lot to keep them entertained. At the Suites they have a fabulous waterpark which is fun for kids of all ages. A special acknowledgement to Nickashia, Roxy and Michele at the Kids Club!!! They pack the day (and early evening) full of fun things to do if you choose.
We stayed in the Suites and it was fun to be able to go over to the Beach to get a whole new place to explore. Overall, was very happy with our stay.

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

2 Thank SkiandSun2014
SantoValdez, Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica at Iberostar Rose Hall Suites, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar for your vacation. It pleases us to know that you found the Rose Hall Suites property a great one.Your review is greatly appreciated as this motivates us to continue improving our hospitality as a top brand hotel chain. We will share your review with our team and congratulate them on their input towards ensuring that you have had a great vacation especially acknowledging the girls (Nickashia, Roxy and Michele) from the kids club who took great care of your kids while at the resort. Once again thank you for choosing Iberostar and we look forward to seeing you again.

Ottawa
Reviewed March 13, 2014

We had such a great time in 2013 that we decided to come back again in 2014. We visited during the last week of February. The weather was great, and the sun shone everyday. We had 2 days where it rained for about 10 minutes each time.. Jamaica's liquid sunshine!

I wrote a detailed review last year, and it still applies. Instead I'll offer some tips, etc that stood out for me:

- bring a couple travel mug / Bubba keg containers
- start the day right with an espresso with Appleton V/X and rum cream from the lobby bar
- bring US$ for tips - you can break bigger bills to 1's at the front desk
- if you leave a tip in your room fridge, you will get more beer!
- you can order bottles of Red Stripe from room service
- check out the spa area at the health club - there are 2 sets of hot/cold tubs, sauna's, etc. and both sides are open to men and women and are free to use - great way to end the day, but they close at 7pm
- the gym is pretty good - I could squat, clean, bench press, etc. pretty much what I can do at home - bring chalk or straps though as the humidity affects your grip
- we caught the magic show in the "music bar" and it was quite entertaining
- we checked out the cigar bar as they have a pool table in back too (the kids actually found it when the ones in the game room were busy!)
- still haven't checked out the night club, maybe next year?
- rooms starting with 3 will generally have balconies that get the afternoon sun - at least the ones looking on to the pool area
- rooms starting with 4 will generally get the morning sun
- you can use the facilities, etc. of the Beaches property, but not the Grand
- if you want to sneak a peek at the Grand, you can do so from the wet area of the spa, and the wellness pool

- if you arrive earlier than 3pm, you can still get the paperwork done, and get your bracelet so you can go eat, drink, etc. they will also assign room numbers so you can go to the guest services table to make your restaurant reservations

- some packages may include bus transportation to/from the airport. We hired a taxi last year, but this year decided to take the bus to Rose Hall.. ended up waiting ~ 45 minutes in the Sangster airport parking lot, so we booked a taxi for the return trip. One way is ~ $35 for 1-4 people back to the airport. We had "Jadit" who I highly recommend.

- this is my opinion only, so check with your airline, but we were able to leave the resort by taxi 2.5 hours ahead of our flight time, as opposed to the 3-4 hours the bus wants to leave. The extra hour on the beach before returning to the land of ice and snow was worth the taxi fare! We could've pushed it an extra 1/2 hour as that is how long we waited to check in at the airport, and we ended up being the last group in line.

- there is a beach bbq for lunch on Monday's and Thursdays with excellent jerk chicken and pork

Finally, there are some bartenders and Star Friends that made this trip more enjoyable - thanks to Christopher and Jules at the pool bar and Ishalee at the lobby bar, and the friends that kept the kids entertained - VIP, OMG, MoMo, Sweetness, China and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few more..

Room Tip: I'd prefer a high level (4th floor) room in the 3000 block of rooms that face in to the main poo...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank offroadbiker
Dear Guest,

On behalf of all the hotel staff, and particularly the manager we would like to thank you for the opportunity you have given us by choosing Iberostar for your vacation. As you have mentioned this is your second return in two consecutive years and it pleases us to know that you once again had a great time here at the Rose Hall Suites property. Your detailed review is much appreciated as this help our future guest to have an understanding of what we offer at this resort. We will share with your review with the Staffs (Christopher, Jules and Ishalee the bartender to the Star friends – VIP, OMG, MoMo, Sweetness, China who contributed towards making your stay a memorable and enjoyable one. Your loyalty to this hotel is much appreciated and we look forward to seeing you again; thank you for choosing Iberostar.

Silver Spring, Maryland
Reviewed March 13, 2014

The Rose Hall Suites were wonderful, clean, pleasant and great location. Only problem I had was too many crying children. Go to the Grand if you want to be child free. We also didn't like the Japanese restaurant. If you are used to the real thing don't bother to dine there in Jamaica. It also would have been great for the resort to have a Jamaican themed restaurant. There was not enough Jamaican food selections in my opinion.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SJJKEM
Dear Guest,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your review with us and the online community regarding your vacation here at the Iberostar Rose hall Suites Hotel.

It pleases us to know that in general you were able to give us a favorable rating, even though all your expectations were not met. We will be forwarding your comments regarding our meal selections, but allow us the opportunity to advise you that even though we do not have a Jamaican themed restaurant, the cuisine is infused in our breakfast buffet daily and four times per week for the dinner buffet. As well we have a Jamaican beach bar-b-que twice per week on the beach.

With this in mind we look forward to seeing you again, and have you try our Jamaican cuisine and again,thank you for choosing Iberostar.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rose Hall
#19 of 63 in Montego Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Iberostar Rose Hall Suites? Share your experiences!