“Great Trip to Iberostar Suites - Montego Bay”

Iberostar Rose Hall Suites
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Rose Hall
GreenLeadersGold level
Norwood, Massachusetts, USA
“Great Trip to Iberostar Suites - Montego Bay”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Upon arrival to the hotel we were greeted with smiles and a room key! Everything having to do with checkin was smooth...my family and I were by the pool within 30 minutes of checkin! As the week progressed, everything from the weather, to the room, to the beach and pool worked out perfectly! The room was great! When we asked for an extra pillow it showed up within minutes. The food is good, not great...but lots of options from the buffet as well as all the restaurant options. We definitely ate and drank too much! The staff is friendly and helpful. My only complaint is that the gym doesn't have a lot of equipment that works - lack of treadmills was a bummer.

We will definitely go back next year! Bring lots of sunblock!

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

1 Thank TBL13_13
SantoValdez, Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica at Iberostar Rose Hall Suites, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear guest,

On behalf of the management and staff of Iberostar Rose Hall Suites, I would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar and for taking the time out to share with us and the rest of the online community your review of your stay with us.

It has been a privilege to have hosted you at our resort and we are grateful for your kind words regarding our rooms, food and staff. We are ecstatic to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and we sincerely look forward to your next visit with us next year. We have noted your comments regarding the gym and we will certainly forward them to the respective managers for their consideration.

We would like to thank you once again for choosing Iberostar and we look forward to seeing you next year.

Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,064)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I like the fact, that the hotel is only about 30 minutes from the Montego Bay airport. Taking into account the pick-up vehicle stops at different hotels to drop off other passengers. If your trip is a vacation package where transportation is part of the deal, it might be worth your while to take a cab. The delay in waithing for other travelers can take up to 30 minutes.
The checking-in was efficent and timely, thanks to Damien who is a true professional. During our 10 days stay whenever we encountered him, he would acknowledge us by name. I traveled with my husband, daughter, her husband, and my grandson.
The food here is of the best quality, and well prepared. In fact I am hard pressed to think of where I have had better. Special thanks to Chef Dwight and the other chefs, also the kitchen staff.
There is a varied assortment to be had. If you cannot find something here to your liking the problem is not with the food. Thanks also to Kelisha who was most attentive.
The steak house is worth a visit.
Please remember to tip, it does make a big difference.
Entertainment was repetitive, after a few nights it became boring. A good choreographer could make a world of difference. Talent is deffinetly available, just need direction. My grandson enjoyed the special attention given by "Sweets".
For the most part, I found the staff at all levels to be hard working and helpful.
The lighting in the corridors to the rooms are too dim.
My room always seem to have a moldy odor, When I mentioned it to the cleaning crew, they did their best, but soon after the the odor was back. I tried to spend as little time there as possible. The balcony was my escape.
The ventilation in the casino and souvenir shops need attention. The air quality is poor, after 5 minutes you feel the need to leave.
If you are an adventurous traveler, a word of caution. There is a criminal element that is rampant in the island. Do not venture out of the resort alone or at night without proper precautions.

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floors offer the best views.
3 Thank Leonala
Dear guest,

On behalf of the management and staff here at Iberostar Rose Hall Suites, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing Iberostar to spend your vacation, and for taking the timeout of your busy schedule to share with us and the rest of the online community here on Trip Advisor your review of your stay at our resort.

We are extremely pleased to understand that you had a great stay at our resort and that you enjoyed the food, and our friendly and courteous staff. The persons mentioned in your comments will certainly be congratulated for a job well done.
With that being said, I would just like to point out that your concerns as it relates to our nightly shows and also with the lighting and odor in the rooms have been noted and will be directed to the respective mangers for their consideration.

Once again I would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar and we certainly look forward to your next visit with us.

Needham, Massachusetts, USA
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Dont bring valuables. Mine stolen. Not even apology or contact from hotel manager! Not overly friendly or helpful staff. Hotel claimed i must have lost jewelry because maids said they never saw them!!
Location nice and iberostar suites big, would not be likley to go back there.

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

5 Thank PilatesGirl66
SantoValdez, Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica at Iberostar Rose Hall Suites, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Dear guest,

On behalf of the management and the staff here at Iberostar Rose Hall Suites, I would like to thank you for the opportunity you have given us to host you and also thank you for sharing your comments about your experience.

It is most unfortunate that while here, some of your jewelry went missing and you were unable to locate them prior to your departure. Once made aware of the alleged theft, our security and Public Relations department commenced and conducted a detailed investigation, and all persons of interest were interrogated extensively by the hotel.

We take all allegations very seriously and do have in place strict security measures to ensure the safety of our guests and their belongings and will also be implementing additional preventative security measures to further assist in our endeavors. We nonetheless apologize for any discomfort that this misfortune has caused.

In addition, we would like to reiterate that our rooms are equipped with an electronic safe and we encourage our guests to take full advantage of them.

Northeast US
Reviewed April 22, 2013

My husband, teenage daughter, and I were at the Rose Hall Suites during the week of April 14-20, as part of a large group traveling for April vacation (7 families). This was our 3rd time doing an AI, first time in Jamaica.

Good:
* Lovely property -- very pretty, well-manicured grounds, workers always touching up paint, trimming foliage, sweeping, etc.
* Comfortable lodging -- plenty of room for us to unpack all our belongings in the Jr. Suite (ample closet space and drawers), airy, nice balcony. AC worked well, housekeeping did a good job.
* Decent food -- the buffet usually had something for everyone, and it was all fresh and nicely presented. We only tried a couple of the specialty restaurants (Gourmet and Mediterranean), and they were OK, but for an AI, we didn't expect the food to be anything exceptional. It met our expectations.
* Spacious beach with plenty of chaise lounges, and enough palapas to find shade.
* I personally didn't swim in the pools, but everyone in our group enjoyed them -- the kids moved between the Lazy River and the smaller pool, and the adults loved the large infinity pool with the swim-up bar
* Overall, the staff were mostly pleasant, def. hard-working, and available.

The not-so-good:
* One member of our group had a drastic medical emergency (later diagnosed as infected kidney stones), and when her spouse called the front desk and asked for medical assistance, the FIRST thing he was told by the hotel staff was "that will cost you $40 US". Not "we'll be right there!" but basically, "we won't come up to your room unless you agree to pay $40 US in CASH". While his wife was barely conscious from absolutely excruciating pain.
* No activities for teens. In our group, there were 12 kids, most between ages 10-14, and there was literally NOTHING for them to do in the evenings. No teen-only disco night, no teen-focused show, no teen-focused parties, no movie nights, nothing. They spent their evenings wandering around the property, or sitting in the lobby using Wi-Fi on their phones.
* While we appreciate the friendliness of Star Friends, we did feel that at times they were rather too intrusive. If someone is relaxing in the shade with a book, they aren't looking for a Star Friend to just plop on their chaise lounge, get into their face with loud conversation, and stay for much longer than what would be appropriate for just a friendly "hello"
* While some of the evening shows were ok (specifically, "Broadway Night"), others were just complete failures ("Ms Iberostar"). Also, none of the shows were sufficiently promoted during the day, so although the hotel was full, hardly anyone attended the shows (and of course, a larger audience would make for a more enjoyable experience for everyone)
* There is no food offered by the pool or beach. Not even a little "snack shack" to serve hot dogs, burgers, pizza, or fruit. And, the one place that is near the beach -- Aunt Ruby's -- requires everyone to be covered up and completely dry, even for its patio seating area. It is also not possible to bring food out of the restaurants to eat on the beach.
* While the wait staff do a great job picking up used glassware off the beach, the beach cleaning crew was much less attentive. At one point, there were empty sunblock bottles, used baby diapers, wrappers, cigarette butts, and other trash, all overflowing out of very small receptacles on the beach (meant for cigarette butts rather than trash), for nearly 24 hours. I had to go and ask a member of staff to have it removed.
* The bartenders at the swim-up bar work hard, but also party alongside their guests. They were doing shots at the same time that they were serving them. They did nothing to discourage some very rowdy guests from doing body shots off a young woman's belly while she lay across the bar (while there were kids in the pool area). Their efforts were focused on those guests whom they got to know, and it was hard to get their attention if you were not an "all day, repeat customer"

All in all, the issues above did not deter us from enjoying our vacation: we had a wonderful time with our group, the weather was fantastic, it was a beautiful resort where the staff overall did a great job taking care of its guests. But comparing this to two other AI experiences we've had (one at a Club Med, and one at a Barceló), this was not our favorite of the three.

4 Thank EllBel
Dear guest,

On behalf of the management and staff here at Iberostar Rose Hall Suites, I would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar for your family’s vacation experience. We would like to thank you as well for taking the time to share with the rest of the online community, your review of your stay with us.

It is certainly a pleasure to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and that in general, you were pleased with your vacation. We take great pride in offering an overall package and appreciate when our guests give us their feedback. Thank you for highlighting the areas that we were able to meet your expectation including the food, landscape, and rooms.

With regards to your request to see the nurse it is a standard procedure for our staff to inform the guests of the applicable medical fees to see the nurse. This is done to avoid any misinterpretation as to whether or not this service is a part of the all-inclusive package. The medical services that are offered here are by an independent company, and not operated by Iberostar. We care about the health and wellbeing of all our guests, but would rather not have the charge come as a surprise to guests after the treatment has been rendered. We will, however, speak with our team members in regards to the way information is dissipated.

In addition, we have indeed noted your comments about the entertainment package we offer here especially the teen activities and the shows in the evening. We will have these along with the other comments directed to the respective department for their attention and information. For the others areas where we have fallen short in your eyes, we would like to inform you that this is not our typical standard of operations and your comments will definitely bring these comments to their attention as well.

It was truly our pleasure to have hosted you at our resort, and even though we did not meet all your expectations, we hope we will be given the opportunity to host you once again. Thank you for choosing Iberostar.

CT
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Just returned from a 5 night stay with my husband and 2 small children (ages 3 and 7)

Overall, we had a nice vacation, but I would not return to this resort (we have traveled to MANY resorts and there are only a few we would return to - we enjoy trying something new, but this one I definitely would not return to, knowing there are much nicer ones out there for the same $$). This is our second Iberostar vacation - first we stayed at the Grand in Riviera Maya, Mexico and this place did not compare AT ALL. If you want Iberostar all inclusive - go to Riviera Maya - it was FABULOUS!

OK I will start with the pros!

- Beach and pool area was beautiful! There is always someone constantly cleaning, mopping, its kept very nice and clean - those workers who do the cleaning work hard.
- MOST of the staff was very nice and accommodating. When I found out they only serve apple juice in the morning (??) I called Guest Services (my children only drink apple - my older son will drink orange juice but my little one would not. The fruit punch was horrid). I explained they could just drink water but if it was possible I would really like to have apple juice in my room. He told me he would call me back. Sure enough, a short while later they brought me a teapot filled with apple juice that I kept in my mini fridge (I brought thermoses so I filled them at breakfast but the juice was nice later on in the day). I thought that was very nice that they went out of the way to do that. Tamale at the pool bar was very nice and worked very hard.
- Maid service was very good - never a problem and our room was made up pretty early every day
- Food in the steakhouse was good but service was SLOOOOW!
- Spray park area with slides was very clean and fun for the kids - they loved it.

CONS

-Let me start with the worst part - the food at the buffet is horrible. Just horrible. Breakfast was hardly edible, the same EVERY day, and no taste whatsoever. The lunch and dinner buffets were spotty - some good things, but most of it was mediocre at best. With small children we depended on the buffets rather than the sit down restaurants and we were rather disappointed.
- There is NO top shelf liquor at this resort. Ive never heard of some of the alcohol brands they had at the bars, but I was OK with my rum punch or blue hawiians. My husband only drinks Jack and coke and they had no jack daniels at all on this resort (they had it in Mexico). When we asked, one of gentlemen from guest services was able to get him a bottle (for $50!!). Didnt think we should have to pay for that, but nice that they went out of their way to get it.
- Mold in shower
- TV did not work all week - thank God I brought movies for my kids (DVD worked)
- Service around the pool was spotty. I mainly had to go up and get my drink myself. I think if the staff stopped texting or trying to smuggle an ice cream for themselves things would go a lot smoother. Cassandra NEVER smiled (seriously that girl looks like she HATES her job) and one time she was standing right by the ice cream and my son was waiting for a cone and she completely ignored him. I got up from my chair and served it to him myself! (she still did not acknowledge us).
- Tasha at the towel hut refused to give my son a medal even though he ran the magic carpet - she made up some excuse that he had to dance in a dance contest (seriously, you couldnt give a little boy a cheap little medal? He was disappointed!)

Overall we had a good time, but I will not go back

3 Thank Peas1
SantoValdez, Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica at Iberostar Rose Hall Suites, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear guest,

On behalf of the management and staff here at the Iberostar Rose Hall Suites, I would like to thank you for once again choosing Iberostar to spend your vacation and for taking the time out of your busy schedule to share with the rest of the online community your view of your stay with us.

We are thrilled to know that you found our beaches and pools to be beautiful, and that you were pleased with the exceptional service received from our Guest Services, bartender Tamale and housekeeping. We are also glad that you enjoyed the food at our Aunt Ruby’s Steakhouse.

With that being said, we do apologize for the inconvenience, but top shelf liquor at Iberostar Rose Hall Suites, however, this is something readily available at our sister resort, the Iberostar Rose Hall Grand. For the areas that we have fallen short, we will take your comments into consideration and forward them to the management team.

I do hope that these setbacks did not affect your overall experience with us as it was a pleasure having you here with us. I would like to thank you once again for choosing Iberostar and we sincerely look forward to your next visit with us.

Southbury, Connecticut
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Amazing vacation. Weather was near perfect everyday. Beach staff was great (Lacie, Nicole, and Dierdren). We enjoyed the beach primarily. We travelled without kids, and kids don't seem to populate the beach. Security staff was nice, particularly Beverly. Bar staff was great, particularly Orville. Waitstaff was great, particularly Rayon (didn't get to meet Polyester). Rooms were clean and comfortable. My wife Captained the Hobie Cat, Kayaked with my brother, snorkelled almost every day at the man made reef. We came from Ct and Chicago, and met many wonderful people. Super Mario at the water sport station was wonderful. Equipment was well kept, and we always felt safe while in the water. We also scuba dived for free in the swimming pool to see what it was like. Very cool. Espresso Martini's everyday in the lobby. Small casino, but we won! And then lost!
We went on the luminescent lagoon trip. Do not miss this. Amazing, and not available like this anywhere in the world. We preferred the buffets over the specialty restaurants. Tried the steakhouse and Mexican, but preferred the hand carved "walking dead" fish, beef, lamb, pigs, etc. Custom made omelette, pasta station, and coffee, cappachino, iced coffee, espresso. All coffee products are amazing in Jamaica. Beach barbecues were fun and delicious.

A few negatives. Takes 3 seconds for the bathroom light to come on. Main Lobby chairs were deep and uncomfortable for the wives. Back pillows would help. No lobster (mating season). Room air conditioning was acceptable, but not great. Boston was under attack, which brought our minds back home. Cell service was terrible, so wireless in the rooms would be great.

This was our third Iberostar trip. Been to Paraiso del Mar in Mexico, Grand in Punta Cana, and Rose Hall Suites. Have become comfortable with the quality and consistency. Felt most at home at the Rose Hall Suites, but missed the luxury of the Grand. Next stop, maybe one of the Iberostars in Europe. Thanks.

2 Thank Dave S
Dear guest,

It is certainly delightful to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed the food and the drinks available to you. It’s also nice to hear that you participated in several of the activities around the resort and even went off property to the Luminous Lagoon! We are thrilled to know that you had such a wonderful time.
With that being said we have noted your comments regarding the chairs and the air conditioning in the room and will forward them to the respective managers for their consideration. We are aware of the situation in Boston and our hearts go out to all the persons affected, we all are truly saddened by the unfortunate turn of events.

We do hope that these impediments did not affect your overall experience with us. I would like to thank you once again for choosing Iberostar and we sincerely look forward to your next visit with us.

New York, New York, United States
Reviewed April 20, 2013

This hotel was relaxing and overall a good experience. The free drinks/all-inclusive was great. Room service is 24/7 which was nice for late night post-drinking munchies.
The pool area is large with an excellent view of the beach and the swim up bar was great. I'm more of a beach person but the pool area was so good, we spent most of the time at the pool. The kayaks and sail boats were free and I enjoyed using them.
The food was good but could have been better. The eggs at breakfast were extremely runny and by the end of the trip (5 days) I was ready for a different meal. I recommend making reservations for dinner at the restaurants ahead of time as those meals are better but they are still not great.
I would go back to this hotel. This property is huge and you are cut off from the locals except for one guy who paddles a surfboard/kayak down the beach with a milk crate full of Jamaican souvenirs to sell to tourists.
Our group had a lot of fun and I'd recommend this hotel for a group, wedding, honeymoon, or just a relaxing vacation.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Dear guest,
On behalf of the management and staff at Iberostar Rose Hall Suites, I would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar and for taking the timeout to share your comments here on Trip Advisor about your recent stay at our resort.

We are exceptionally pleased to know that you had a wonderful time while vacationing with us, it is also good to know that you enjoyed the 24 hour room service, the drinks that were available, and also our pools and beaches.
As it pertains to the food, we will take your comments into consideration and forward them to the management team.

Once again we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar and we do look forward to welcoming you back here soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rose Hall
#19 of 63 in Montego Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Iberostar Rose Hall Suites? Share your experiences!