“A la carte reservation nightmares”

Iberostar Rose Hall Suites
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Rose Hall
GreenLeadersGold level
Macungie, Pennsylvania
“A la carte reservation nightmares”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

Stayed here from 3/7 to 3/13 with my wife 1 yr old and the sitter. I loved the closeness of everything to our room. The beach was beautiful. Seating around the pool was not so easy to find but the beach had plenty of room. I can not say I had a very bad time here but I probably will not be returning. The shower had barely any pressure so what should have been a soothing rain fall shower became a light drizzle and hard to wash the soap off. Service is lacking all over the resort and the hassle of restaurant reservations compounds the issue. It was hard to get a reservation at any good restaurants. I was told to keep coming back to check for openings even though the restaurants had empty tables every night. I was told that the staff could only handle so many at a time and that is why they had empty tables. I suggest you hire more staff then because I have no problem getting into restaurants anywhere else. Every other hotel you stay have no reservations. You walk up tell them how many and they tell you how long the wait is. If you are willing to wait they are willing to serve you. Iberostar has fail miserably in this. No one should hear NO so much on vacation. I heard No more times from the staff here then I have ever heard from any resort. I'm on vacation LIE TO ME and say you will try. At least I can tell my wife your doing your best to get our request fulfilled. I don't care if this is your dining policy it is a stressful process and who need the stress on vacation. I don't want to sound bitter I had a good vacation. I Just think they could do better handling the a la carte restaurants. I never did get to eat at the restaurants I wanted and not due to any lack of seating.....

6 Thank Joe N
SantoValdez, Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica at Iberostar Rose Hall Suites, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

On behalf of the management and staff of Iberostar Rose Hall Suites, I would like to thank you for choosing to spend your vacation with us and for taking the time out of your busy schedule to share with the rest of the online community your view of your stay at our resort.
It is certainly disheartening to understand that you were not entirely pleased with the reservation system and we sincerely regret any dissatisfaction you may have experienced. With regards to dining, each restaurant requires dinner reservations and the empty seats in the restaurants are actually reserved for persons with dinner reservations, also please bear in mind that persons who decide not to show up for their reservations leave the tables empty and gives the impression that the tables are not reserved. Fifteen minutes after the reservation time has passed these tables are then given to anyone who willing to dine. That being said, your concerns will be forwarded to the respective management for consideration.

We would like to thank you once again for choosing Iberostar and we are thankful that despite the setback aforementioned that you still enjoyed your vacation and we sincerely look forward to hosting you in the future.

Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,035)
  • Czech first
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

Went to this resort last year and loved it so much went back this year. While every hotel could always improve in areas, I do love this resort.

The check-in process was a bit chaotic. We arrived and there were others that arrived at the same time and the front desk area was basically a free for all with no real order. The check in process was a bit slow too.

The rooms I have found to be very clean and are very spacious. Love the bathroom with the separate shower and big tub. We did have an issue with our tub not draining properly (last year had issue with the shower) but they did fix it right away. Others have mentioned the rooms being musty but I did not find that here. I have found that in other tropical locations but not here.

I actually found the food to be better this year than last. If you eat in the buffet a lot it does get repetitive but I always found stuff to eat and I can be a picky eater. I wish they would fix the ice cream in the buffet though so it would stay frozen and not get all melted. Love the steak house and mexican restaurants. Tried the Cajun at the Beach resort and didn't particularly care for that one. My favorite meal is the lunch time beach party they have twice a week. Definitely recommend checking that out. The reservation process was a bit complicated but we didn't have any issue getting reservations. It may help though if menus were posted somewhere. I found that you sometimes had to wait a long time at the reservation desk and it seemed it was because people were reviewing menus. It may help to have them posted somewhere or copies in the room.

The pool was cold this year, the ocean was actually warmer than the pool. There had been some rain and cloudy days so that could have been why. I don't remember last year ever thinking it was cold. The lazy river definitely could use some work because there are many dead spots and I found myself having to paddle around a lot. The floats there are not very comfortable either. Lean too much and you will fall off. I was happy to see that the chairs around the pool had been replaced since last year and there did seem to be more of them. They were much more comfortable than the ones last year.

Overall the service was great. One spot it could use some improvement was in the buffet. There were mornings we asked for coffee or juice and didn't always get it. Overall though people at the resort are very friendly and do their best to make your vacation enjoyable. The bartenders are great (especially David and Jermaine who were always there to take care of us). Love the drinks, especially the Dirty Banana and Jamaican Smile. The cappuccinos at the lobby bar are very good too.

The entertainment staff is great! While I didn't travel with kids, I loved watching them with the kids. They do such a great job. There is always something going on at this hotel if you choose to do something or you could do nothing and sit back and watch. The shows at night were pretty entertaining too. Just want to say thanks to VIP, OMG, Stingray, Brandon, and Happy Feet who were all great and very friendly.

I was a bit disappointed with the spa area this year. I didn't get any treatments but did go and use the wellness pool and "hot" tubs. The hot tubs really weren't hot though and the cold well was not in use. Also, the decongestant room was not working the last day. I do love that area of the resort though and love to take a little time relaxing (as if more is needed) after a day in the sun.

Overall, I really do like this hotel. There is always something going on, it is very clean, and the staff overall is super friendly. I wouldn't hesitate to go back again at all.

Room Tip: Last year room was on 4th floor and the view was much better, this year was on 2nd floor and while c...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank abs28
SantoValdez, Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica at Iberostar Rose Hall Suites, responded to this review, March 31, 2013
Dear guest,

On behalf of all the staff and management of Iberostar Rose Hall Suites, we would like to thank you for the opportunity you have given us by choosing to be valued guests of our lovely resort. We would also like to thank you for taking the time to write a review for Tripadvisor about how your holiday went at our hotel.

We find it extremely gratifying hearing that while staying at our resort, you have enjoyed your visit a second time around and thoroughly enjoyed our food, entertainment, accommodations and our friendly and attentive staff.

With your most recent trip to Iberostar being so pleasurable, we are confident that you will be staying again at our resort and as such, we sincerely look forward to your next visit. Thanks for choosing Iberostar.

Guelph, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

We just returned March 23rd from a week at Rose Hall Suites. When our travel agent booked on holiday, she requested that we have an early check in as we arrived at the hotel at 10 a.m. after being on the road since 4 a.m. Toronto time. The reason was that my husband is not well and has a limited amount of energy. When we checked in we mentioned this and they did not know about it but would see what they could do and come back at noon. We went to the pool. Came back at noon but no room ready. Come back at 1 p.m. Went to lunch at the Beach. Came back at 1.30. No room ready. By that time, my husband was exausted and could not walk anymore. I had to lose my temper at the front desk to get a room, any room that was ready. At that point I did not care where it was in the hotel. Finally, we got a room at 2 p.m. He had to be put in a wheel chair and taken to the room. After a few hours rest he was fine again. The request for an early check in was not made to be pushy and first in line. It was made out of necessity. My warning to future guests is that if you need to make a similar request, it may be ignored. We told our Air Canada tour rep what had happened and she told Customer Service. Andrew sent a fruit platter and bottle of champagne to our room as an apology. This was very kind of him and we did thank him. The rest of our holiday was great. The resort is beautiful and well cared for. The staff are very friendly. The food for the most part was very good. We went to the Gourmet and it was our favorite. The Mediterranean, Steak House and Mexican were just okay. The only other complaint to make was the cleaning staff for the room. They came at different times every day and some nights, we had turndown service. Other nights, nobody showed up. That being said, we would return but probably to try the Grand which we had wanted in the first place but there was no rooms available.

Room Tip: We had room 4021 which was on the lower level facing east. It was convenient to the pool area and t...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ralph V
Dear guest,

On behalf of the management and staff of Iberostar Rose Hall Suites, I would like to express our sincerest gratitude to you for choosing to spend your special vacation with us. I would also like to take the time out to thank you for sharing with us and the rest of the online community your view of your stay at our resort.

We are sincerely thrilled to understand that you had a wonderful time at our resort and that you enjoyed the food, entertainment and our friendly staff.
It is quite disheartening to understand that you were dissatisfied with the Front Desk regarding your early check in request; however, we would like to advise you that our check in time is not until 3pm, but we do try our best to facilitate persons who arrive before 3pm.

We are, however, extremely thankful that despite your dissatisfactions, the overall quality of your stay was not affected. We sincerely hope that sometime in the future we will once again have the absolute pleasure of serving you again at our resort.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

Situated on a lovely beach the Iberostar All Suites is a well run hotel with very good facilities and takes children.
There are several pools although we liked the infinity pool with swim up bar plus a kids center. The suites are very spacious and comfortable -all with patios.

We found the food very good especially the Buffet which is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner and there is amazing choice there. There are also other a la carte restaurants which you have to book in advance.

The etertainment is excellent and there is a theatre for live shows in the evening including a kids show earlier; also a nightclub and many bars.

What impressed me the most was the staff. The were warm, friendly and well trained. They are always smiling which is nice to see.

There were ten of us including children and we had a glorious time in beautiful
weather.

I would recommend it and would not hesitate in going back soon.

• Stayed March 2013
SantoValdez, Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica at Iberostar Rose Hall Suites, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Dear guest,

On behalf of the management and staff of Iberostar Rose Hall Suites, I would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar to spend your vacation and for taking the timeout to share with the rest of the online community your view on your stay with us.

We are overly pleased to understand that you and your family had a wonderful time at our resort and were impressed with the various pools available to kids and adults alike, the food, rooms, entertainment and our warm, hospitable, attentive staff.
It has been a pleasure hosting you at our resort and we sincerely look forward to your next visit with us. Once again thank you for choosing Iberostar.

Ottawa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

This was our 3rd time visiting Jamaica but the 1st for the kids. We all had a great time!

We had the bus included in our travel package, but we arranged in advance with Reggae Tours for a private taxi from/to the airport. It was $65 round trip for 4 and well worth not having to wait for the bus, stop at other resorts, etc. Our driver was Devon and he was really nice.

The resort is beautiful. Lots of time and effort put into maintaining the property, buildings, beach, gardens, etc.

We landed at 10:25am and we were at the resort at 11:30. We filled out the paperwork, got our bracelets, were told to go enjoy the resort and told about options for lunch and to come back closer to 3pm to get the room keys. We stopped at guest services to make our dinner reservations and got early (6:30/7:30) spots for the steakhouse (Aunt Ruby), Mediterranean (Mare Nostrum), Mexican (Maria Bonita) and gourmet (Calabash). There are also Japanese and Cajun restaurants at the beach property that you can go to. We then walked towards the Beach hotel and they had a BBQ being setup with awesome jerk pork, chicken and lots of food. We went back to the front desk around 2:30 and were able to check in.

We emailed in advance to have our 2 rooms close to each other. We were in 3224 and 3225 which had an inner adjoining door which was great. The only downside is both rooms have 2 double-beds. Those rooms are on the 2nd floor and have a good view of the gardens, pool and ocean. No complaints about the room - everything was clean, housekeeping was great, and the fridge was stocked daily with beer and soft drinks. I would recommend bringing a 'night light' as it is difficult to navigate to the toilet in the dark! Your knees will be thankful.

There are some small details I noticed, one interesting one being that a lot of the light bulbs were LED's. You'll see these in the rooms, in addition to the chandeliers outside the main buffet. For any racing fans, see if you agree that the staircase in the main lobby leading out to the pool reminds you of the corksrew at Laguna Seca.

We enjoyed all of the a la carte restaurants. Our kids liked Mexican the most. I'd put the Gourmet at the top of my list. The waitress recommended the "grilled lamb ribs" which were beautifully done lamb chops with the rib attached. Delicious. The steak I had at Aunt Ruby's was excellent (rib steak, medium rare) and the appetizer buffet at Mare Nostrum alone is worth the visit.

The Star Friends were great! OMG and Brandon kept my son busy. Brandon seemed to be everywhere from playing soccer on the beach to playing table tennis to hanging out with the kids at the theater in the evening.
I've scanned the activities schedule for reference - always something to do.

Here are some people that made a difference with great service and attitudes.

Trecell - waitress at Mare da Nostrum (Mediterranean) - get the tuna!
Patree and Melissa - lobby bar in the morning - coffee with rum cream = yum!
Christopher and Jules - pool bar - they would compete to see who could make the best drink
Brandon - Star Friends - just a great guy
Kevin - host at the buffet (Miranda and Aunt Ruby) - made sure we were taken care of.

For breakfast, we at at Miranda Hill (buffet) each day. There were 2 omelet/egg stations for cooked to order dishes, and lots of variety. There is a fresh fruit station (try the sour sap!) and a fresh juice station. There is also a "Jamaican corner" with local foods (try the braised kidney!). We found the variety and quality to be very good.

For lunch, we'd hit the beach BBQ (generally in front of Aunt Ruby's) when it was available. They had it 3 times during our stay. We'd also go to Aunt Ruby's for the snack time (4-6pm) as well as the other lunches. Again, lots of variety and great quality.

For the non a-la-carte nights, we ended up at Miranda Hill for the buffet. You do have the option of checking with guest services on the day of, to see if there are any openings at the a la carte places. After our first dinner at the buffet, we decided this wasn't necessary as we had great meals there too.

Our kids ordered room service a couple times - more for the novelty, but they said the food was good too.

There are 2 fitness options. The main gym is inside the spa, on the 4th floor of the main building. It is for 18+ and they enforce it. Use the small casino as a reference and the entrance is before one of the gift shops. I found more than enough equipment to use. There is a bench press with an Olympic bar and enough plates to load 365 pounds. There is also enough floor space to deadlift, etc. Dumbbells go up to 75 lbs and there is ample cardio equipment. Post-workout, there are some interesting pools. The main one you see from the lobby of the spa, is the "wet area" that has a large hot tub, and amazing heated lounge chairs. Just look on the back of them to set the heat and timer. In each change room, there is also a lounge area, and multiple hot tubs, a cold tub (15C, woo!), steam room and sauna. Both sides are co-ed. I always got some weird looks walking into the Ladies room. Guys, just turn right instead of left and you'll be ok.

The other option is at the beach property. They allow 14+ with an adult. Has about the same equipment as the main gym.

We went to the theater in the evening several times. They start around 8pm with activities for the kids, then the main event starts closert to 9:30. I thought the Jamaican Heritage show was great and we also caught their sound check around 3pm which was cool.

We also took a trip off property. We arranged in advance to visit a primary school and have our daughter give a talk on Canada. We went to the school on Perry Street which has kids from 3-6 years old. This was really cool. We arranged with Danny (card attached) to drive us there. Since we had to be there for 9:30am on a Monday morning, we left the resort at 8:30. Actually got to sit in Montego Bay traffic (just like home!) and the hustle and bustle of the city was amazing. The kids and teachers were really great and the older kids had some good questions about Canada. We got to see examples of the kids work, and the quality of writing for the 6 year-olds was incredible. Easily well ahead of the 8-9 year olds in my son's class. Danny took us back via a drive through the hills above Montego Bay which was really nice.

Overall this was our favourite trip to Jamaica and we can't wait to go back. Would definitely stay here again too.

Room Tip: Rooms in the "3" block ending in 24-30 get the afternoon sun on the balcony.
1 Thank offroadbiker
Dear guest,

On behalf of the management and staff of Iberostar Rose Hall Suites, I would like to thank you for choosing to spend your vacation at our esteemed resort. I would also like to thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to share with the rest of the online community your views on your stay with us.

Let me begin by expressing our sincere gratitude for commenting on our delicious food, spacious and comfortable rooms, well equipped gym and spa and last but not least our warm, friendly and attentive staff. Your kind words motivate us to continue improving upon our services.

We would like to thank you once again for choosing Iberostar, and we truthfully hope that we will be given the opportunity to serve you once more.

Toronto
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

Just returned from the resort.We stayed March 11-18 with two teenage daughters. I am going to be quite honest and remember this is only my opinion. I rely on other tripadvisor comments to give me opinion prior to booking so I hope this review helps..remember my opinion only.

The GOOD:
The people are wonderful and I hope after I mention names that they recognize these people for their outstanding service. Radrick at the swim up bar, Lance and Damion at check -in, Tamele and Cassandra at the pool and Sonia our waitress at the buffet. They gave outstanding service and should be commended because its because of that level of service that people tell others. I cant forget Whelan and Lucic at the lobby bar...really great service!!!

Check-in was smooth. We had emailed the hotel one week prior to our arrival to make a request for a room on a higher floor with a great view. I was impressed that I receive a response from Toffel and Andrew in Public Relations within 24 hours of sending my email. Their response stated that they would do their absoloute best and they did. Thank you for the service.

The grounds are beautiful and the pool area is very clean with bar service all day long. Please make sure you tip those young ladies walking around getting drinks and picking up empty glasses they work so hard and the heat did not make their job easy..they smiled all day long.

The Star Friends were great. Stingray, VIP, Chin, Sweetness and OMG all so much fun and friendly. Brendan was a new Trainee and he too was so great with our girls and I really hope they hire him full time because he is such a people person!

The rooms were spacious and clean..no complaints. Our maid was good. We tipped her at the beginning of our vacation and asked her to do our room early in the morning so we could go back and relax early afternoon. She accomodated us and did a great job. I think her name was Marlene...we were in 4429. Great room and great view of the pool and ocean. All rooms are great views so no need to upgrade...

I feel terrible but I need to be honest there were areas that need huge improvement. We have travelled with our kids once a year since our oldest was 8 months old and she is now 16. We have been to many other destinations including Mexico, Dominican and Jamaica. Again this is only my opinions but I hope they may be helpful to some.

THE BAD:

It was hard to get into the restaurants but we did take what was available. Our favorite was the Japanese and the Steak house. We could not get into the gourmet or the Mexican. The meditteranean was terrible and we had a 9:00pm reservation so it was late. Food was cold and not impressive.

The food in my opinion needs much improvement in the buffet. Yes people are right there is selection but most nights at the buffet it was the same old. Yes they had theme nights but they werent great. To me this hotel was rated a five star and no way when it comes to food would I agree. I would go as far as saying it bordered on terrible. Again their is selection but its the same selection on the buffet except for the few changes each night based on their "theme" nights
The jerk chicken which we loved in Runaway Bay here was done differently. Instead of marinating the chickens in Jerk sauce the chicken was grilled and then you put jerk sauce on top. It was good but after going to Ocho Rios at the Riu and Gran Bahia in Runaway I much preferred to food selection, and preperation in Jamaica at those to resorts.

We had mold in our shower when we got there and blood stains on one set of sheets when we got to our room. Our television did not work and so we went down to Pubic Realtions and spoke with Toffel all matter were resloved within a few hours..thank you BUT a shower with MOLD going up the tiles is just poor cleanliness on the part of the maintenance department of that hotel. After the disinfected and bleached the shower there were no signs of mold. Here's a tip to the general mamger, Sonia...those things should be done prior to your guests checking into their rooms.

The lazy river is way to lazy..get it moving it was empty because there was no current and they only had 4 tubes to ride the lazy river on.

Have more lively activites at the pool. The star friends are great but you need to have more lively because once the 3:00pm time hit and our star friends came out to play games and activities and did their dance and the music started..people gathered at the pool and go involved. Stop apologizing and saying we are sorry for disturbing those at the pool trying to rest...go to the quiet area or the beach. By not wanting to offend those seeking quiet you offend those looking for a lttle fun and interaction. Find a happy medium because we found it quiet and boring.

Tipping is important people and those that have "trainee" after their names do not get paid by the resort while they are in training do not get paid while they are in training so show them some love..a few dollars goes along way!!!

Would I go back no I would not. The only resort that we went back to twice was Ocean Blue and Sand in Punta Cana. We try to go to new places each year but this one was not one of my better picks. I hope that people take my opinions with a grain of salt and realize they are to help those with little tips about the resort.

You may love it...

Room Tip: All rooms were good in my opinion..I had 4429
19 Thank bruceygirl
Dear guest,

On behalf of the management and staff of Iberostar Rose Hall Suites, I would like to express our sincere gratitude for choosing to spend your vacation with us as well as taking the time out to share with the rest of the online community your view of your stay with us.

We are extremely thrilled to understand that you enjoyed several aspects of our resort including the comfortable rooms, the cleanliness of the resort and our friendly and attentive staff just to name a few. Having said that we are sincerely disheartened to understand that you were not overly pleased with the food in our restaurants and the entertainment activities provided, your concerns and recommendations will certainly be forwarded to the respective managers for their consideration.

We are however extremely thankful that these isolated issues did not affect the overall quality of your stay at our hotel and we sincerely hope that we will once again have the absolute pleasure of serving you again at our resort.

peterborough,ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

First off let me say i have been to a lot of places anywhere from a 3 star to a 5. I am a little picky with food. As for iberostar rose hall suites you have nothing to worry about! The staff and people are super friendly, food was amazing both at the buffet and the a la cartes. Variety was amazing, i couldnt get over how much food to choose from. The drinks were good not watered down at all, in fact i found some a little strong. I brought my kids and they enjoyed the waterpark and also the kids club. The room was clean, bright and had lots of room. We ordered room service and it came within the 30 min time guarantee and it was hot. ( menu is limited though). I would highly recommend this place to all. Just a tip when you get there book your a la cartes as the reservations fill up quickly. Entertainment was also very enjoyable with the kids show and also the adults one with the fire breathing show. We even took a cab into downtown and felt safe our cabbie gave us a tour and showed us around.

1 Thank sbainbridge5
Dear Guest,

On behalf of the management and staff at the Iberostar Rose Hall Suites, we would like to thank you for vacationing with us. In addition, we would like to express to you our sincere gratitude, for taking the time out of your busy schedule to share your experience with us here on Trip Advisor.

We are genuinely thrilled to know that you have enjoyed the room, our friendly and hospitable staff ,the water park and kids club and the wide variety of food and drink available throughout your stay.

With your recent trip to Iberostar being such a positive one, we are quite confident that you will again be staying at our lovely property and as such, we sincerely look forward to your next visit. Once again thank you for choosing Iberostar.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rose Hall
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
#1 of 1 in Ironshore
3.5 of 5 bubbles 5,833 reviews
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay

Been to Iberostar Rose Hall Suites? Share your experiences!