“Even better the second time around”

Iberostar Rose Hall Suites
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Rose Hall
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Went to the Suites for our anniversary with our young son. This made our 3rd trip to Iberostar Rose Hall (Grand once and second visit to the Suites). Our first trip there with a child.

This is a marvelous property with a great stretch of beach, numerous bars and restaurants, large pool etc. Although I am not entirely a fan of the big hotel feel as it can lose some of the appeal of a luxury resort, they have done well to maintain the property.

Check-in was painless. We stayed in a room in the block between the Suites and the Grand, and this is the only drawback as it is a bit of a trek to get there with dim corridors. Ask for the rooms on the other side if you can. The rooms are well appointed and were clean enough to satisfy the neat freaks that we are. They provided the best hotel crib that we have seen and our son actually slept well for outside of home the first time.

Bar service is good and they do have a good variety of drinks that should keep you happy. Just short of the very high end stuff found only Grand but is still better than most all-inclusives. They have a few Spanish house wines that are better than the average as well.

Service was excellent, the staff were polite and very helpful especially in the restaurants. They made me proud to be Jamaican, which I cannot say for all the local hotels we have stayed at.

Traveling with a child, we were happy to see that the hotel allows parents to enjoy themselves whilst supervising their children at the main pool, beach or water park. Everyone melts into one big group and the kids all make fast friends. That being said, you can still go as a couple and have a blast without having children all around you, which we have done in the past.

Now for the food, this is the reason I bothered to write a review in the first place. I used to consider the Sandals chain as being the leader in all-inclusive hotel cuisine but I was blown away by the variety and quality on offer at the Rose Hall Suites. The buffet spreads were great and we easily found food for our son. We made reservations for a la carte each night and could not have been happier. Tried the Mexican restaurant even though we are not big fans as there were no availability elsewhere and left there totally stuffed with big grins on our faces.

All together an excellent stay that will make it difficult to go elsewhere for our next trip even though we typically enjoy the variety.

3  Thank PPDc
SantoValdez, Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica at Iberostar Rose Hall Suites, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2013

Dear guest,

First of all, we would like to say a very special thank you on behalf of the management and staff at Iberostar Rose Hall Suites for choosing to be valued guests of our hotel for yet a third vacation. I would also like to thank you for taking the time out to share with us and to the rest of the online community, your review of your stay at our resort.

It certainly motivates us to continue improving our services upon hearing that you enjoyed yet another excellent visit with us. It is extremely gratifying to know that you were again satisfied with the cleanliness of our rooms, the friendliness of our staff and last, but certainly not least, the myriad of delectable foods available for the duration of your stay.

We are quite confident that you will grant us the honor of gracing us with your presence at our hotel once again, and as such, we sincerely look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

We got here not by choice, Iberostar Beach had overbooked hotel so we were upgraded. Larger, beautifully kept property. Staff everywhere were five star plus. Rooms were quite nice and kept immaculate; if you want early cleaning make sure you let them know..or it may be four or five before room is done. Break down of trip....Front staff: Damion and Lance..Excellent, thank you for diffusing my angry arrival , and ensuring we were always taken care of. I wish I knew our maids name, you made our stay comfortable and took care of us in lots of little ways.
Restaurants, Steak House...Richard we will never forget you or all our meals there. Beach Party Lunch on Monday is fantastic...have more of the steel bands on the beach..MANAGEMENT we are in Jamaica! The visitors loved this. Very little authentic food is available except for a small station in the buffet four days a week.
Buffet is good, rather repetitive, very clean...Staff wonderful. Kacy, Kerry, Natasha , thank-you. MANAGEMENT...Do not berate staff in front of visitors, Breakage happens, You should not charge staff for this. Their wages are low to start with and most breakage are a result of children darting around or people bumping them. MANAGEMENT vistors like variety and some authentic food. Why else do we travel to your country. Have some soft reggae playing or calypso...not modernistic in the Spa and bars.
SPA- girls are fantastic, services the best I have ever had.
Mediterranean a la carte, one of the best meals our family has every had. Natasha..OUTSTANDING young woman. Again MANAGEMENT...you only show up and follow up on the staff and tables. Interact with the people. You always look angry in your Jackets and ties. You never ask us what we think..you are imposing and create a very tense atmosphere.
The other restaurants were very good with outstanding staff. Tannis at the buffet, I would have loved to bring you to Canada. You would kill it in the hospitality industry.
Star friends and entertainment ...all of you work long days and put their hearts in to looking after children and doing whatever they can to entertain by the pool, in the theater and being ambassadors for Jamaica. Show on Monday is very good, beach party is fun, the rest a little repetitive. MANAGEMENT...use more locals for nightly entertainment. Contortionist and fire eater are there twice a week at night..use them during the day elsewhere. Bring in Steel band three or four times a week during day and night. Utilize the talent that is Jamaica. Your five star could be a Five diamond with a little work.
Grounds staff, Pool staff, Maintenance (We got to see them a lot..five times till they replaced our lock) All hard working and great. Hilton, thank you for your smiles and the fresh coconut.
Put phones on each floor so we can phone down with problems, not run to the front desk constantly....its a long trip...
Bar staff, fantastic guys, Redrick, Chrispopher, Jules, always smiles. Great young men.
Again MANAGEMENT...give your staff a place to rest between split shifts, a place to have meals, lounge and relax. Making them leave premises is not great for your image.
If you want a great place to stay, this is one of the best I have been to. A few tweeks and this could be a diamond property. Would I go again...yes...also if you want any tours contact Your Jamaican Tour Guide....these people showed us the rest of Jamaica in comfort, style and were very prompt and reasonable.
Iberostar you have hired excellent locals to provide service to vacationers.... Reservations should be careful with the overbooking problem. Take care of your staff, they are the most important commodity you have. Thank you for a lovely holiday, a very nice property, and your hospitality. Anyone should be satisfied with staying here. Well worth the price. Remember you are traveling in their country and be appreciative A small note of concern..no breakfast items on room service and no drinks such as juices or extra pop or water can be delivered to your room. You have to have a concierge bring it to you...annoying with such a small mini bar with no juices and only two water every two days. MANAGEMENT?

Room Tip: Rooms facing ocean are very nice, all are suites. IF you wish to be closer to restaurants or pool t...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
10  Thank prairiedust

Dear guest,

Let me begin by expressing to you our most sincere appreciations on behalf of the management and staff at Iberostar Rose Hall Suites for having chosen our lovely resort to spend your vacation. We would also like to say thank you for taking time away from your busy schedule to send us your comments on how your holiday went at Iberostar. Let me however stress how truly honored we were to have had the opportunity to serve you.

It certainly gives us a great deal of satisfaction hearing that you have had a very memorable experience at our resort and moreover, it was pleasure learning about your satisfaction with cleanliness, food, entertainment and last but not least, the friendly and attentive service provided by our staff. On the other hand, please note that we do in fact have an area where staff can go between shifts and therefore if an employee chooses to leave the property and come back, it is due to their personal preference and not because they have nowhere else to go. In addition, the standard for waters inside the room is 1 gallon jug and 2 bottles per day, along with a variety of sodas and 3 beers every day which is restocked every day. However if a guest would like more water, the request only needs to be made and our staff will be more than obliged to accommodate your request.

We are nonetheless extremely pleased to understand from your kind comments that overall, you had a very enjoyable and relaxing time at our resort and we therefore genuinely hope that we will once again have the absolute pleasure of serving you in the near future.

Reviewed January 8, 2013

Stayed at the Rose Hall Suites for 13 days and 12 night, spending Christmas and New Years in Jamaica. This was the fourth time to the Iberostar Suites and the sixth time to Jamaica. No hotel is perfect so there were a few mistakes, however, if you go looking for a perfect vacation and find one let us all know! It's all about how you deal with the bumps in the road.

We arrived earlier than 3pm so our rooms were not ready. We were given full access to the property and came back after eating at the grill. We got our 2 rooms and one of the rooms had the worst view, could not even see the sea. The front desk instructed us to come back in the morning for a switch. We moved both rooms the next day and had a much better view.

The food is really top-notch most of the time. Making reservations at the specialty restaurants can be a tedious process, but try and make your reservations as soon as possible. You can make reservations based on how many night you stay. We stayed for 12 nights so we were able to make 5 dinner reservations at a time. We ate at the Gourmet, Mediterranean, Mexican, Japanese and Ruby's steak house. All of these were top notch, except for Ruby, where the steak was not as tender as we remembered it being in the past. Service is what is expected for Jamaica. The buffet dinner offer a wide selection of choices and endless quantities.

Christmas eve and New Year Eve dinners were amazing. It would be physically impossible for you to try everything offered, the human stomach is not big enough! All types of seafood, beef, pork, lamb, sushi, pasta. Desserts were really good....I gained 8 pounds in 13 days!

I have no idea which bar one of the other reviewers went to where they waited 15 minutes for service, not any of the ones I went to during my 13 day stay. Whether it was in the morning by the pool or at the grill in the afternoon, lobby bar at night, we never waited more than a few minutes for a drink from a VERY friendly bar tender. Whether you tip or not you were always met with a smile and willingness to serve. Christopher, Jules, David, Lenois and Glenroy at the pool area were just so happy and service oriented. Then there is Doreen - one of the nicest people we have met on the island. She is at the lobby bar with Wailan, another fine gentleman.

The Star Friends are part of the entertainment crew that organizes the daily activities and spends time getting to know the guests during the day. In the evening they put on shows at the theatre. Some nights there are professional shows that are entertaining. The show includes a man that walks and lays on broken glass - unbelievable!

The beach is made up of white sand leading out to three man made reefs teaming with wildlife. All sorts of tropical fish, puffer, long jaw, doctor fish and some lionfish too. I saw a school of tuna just past the man made reef. Watch out where you step because there's a lot of urchins out there.

I took a kayak out a few mornings from the dive shop hut to go to the outermost reef. The water is not too deep and you can see fish from the surface, too. It was a little awkward when the staff at the dive hut asked me for my sandals and another time my watch. Not affiliated with the Iberostar, I think they were part of Dressel Dive shop. I have been to the islands enough times to joke it off, and go on my way. I'm sure some tourists give them things, that is why they ask.

The rooms were fine, neat and not musty smelling. We stayed on the fourth floor which is a plus because the noise travels through the floors, as I know because we stayed on the other floors during different stays. The gardening staff woke us up at 7am one morning shouting at each other. The doors do slam hard, and some other guests don't seem to understand just because they are awake doesn't mean every one else is up too.

We wanted a one-hour late checkout, (checkout time is 12 noon) and when I requested a late check out the front desk said no. This was the first time in 4 stays we had been declined a late check out. I persisted and the front desk employee said he would have to wait for an answer form his manager when they arrived. At 11:40 the front desk advised me that I could have a late check-out. At that point is was too late because we had readied ourselves to comply with the 12 noon check out.

Overall there we were quite happy with the trip. Nothing is perfect, but when the weather is 80 and the sun is shining and the reggae playing....it sure is better than the cold, dreary climates.

Suggestions: Make dinner reservations as soon as possible. Bring your patience, and relax.

Room Tip: Ask for a fourth floor room to avoid a lot of noise from above.
3  Thank TommyRo
SantoValdez, Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica at Iberostar Rose Hall Suites, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2013

Dear guest,

On behalf of the staff and management team at Iberostar Rose Hall Suites, we would like to thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to share with us, and the rest of the online community, your opinion on your stay at our lovely resort. It was an honor and our pleasure to have hosted you and your family.

We are truly thrilled to have contributed to making your holiday a wonderful one and are also deeply grateful to you for your special mention about our Christmas Eve and New Year’s festivities and last, but certainly not least, the friendly, entertaining and attentive service provided by our staff.

With that said, your concerns about the behavior of staff at the Dressel Dive Center will most certainly be directed to the respective manager responsible for the Dressel Dive Center.

We are quite confident that you will again be staying at Iberostar and we therefore sincerely look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed January 8, 2013

This is the nicest all inclusive hotel I have stayed at.. The rooms at the Suites are huge and very clean. The beach and pool are very nice. The food is just OK but it is better than most other all inclusive hotels where I have previously stayed. My primary complaint is that there is only wi fi in the lobby. The rooms require an internet connection and there is no wi fi connection on the beach or at the pool.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar
1  Thank Jstick
SantoValdez, Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica at Iberostar Rose Hall Suites, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2013

Dear guest,

On behalf of the staff and management team at Iberostar Rose Hall Suites, please receive our most genuine appreciations for not only choosing to be valued guests of our lovely property, but also for taking the time to send us your comments on how your holiday went with us.

With that being said, it certainly motivates us to continue improving hearing that you have had an enjoyable experience at our resort and were satisfied with our rooms, pool, beach and food. We have also noted your complaint about internet access and will be sure inform the respective department manager as we are always seeking to improve on our already superb services and facilities.

Reviewed January 8, 2013

It ALWAYS “blows my mind” at the range of reviews that come from staying at the same resort. DO YOUR HOMEWORK, people!!! And some people will NEVER be satisfied. With that said……..Here’s my honest review:

My parents treated all 16 family members ranging in age from 1 to 81 to celebrate their 60th wedding anniversary from December 28, 2012 to January 4, 2013. We flew into Montego Bay without issue and breezed thru customs/immigrations in no time. JTL had an air conditioned van ready and waiting for us. We were the only ones on it so we headed straight for the resort.

Upon arrival we were greeted with many smiles, welcomes and delicious frozen drinks. Since we were checking 16 people in to 7 rooms it took a little time. Half the rooms were ready and half were not. The BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT came when we were told that the OCEANFRONT rooms that we had booked 6 months ago and paid for were NOT AVAILABLE!! (Really?? I can’t understand WHY hotels overbook and oversell. And my husband and I were three times “repeat” customers~ two of which were GRAND hotel stays.)

Anyhow, the next day my exhausted parents and my husband and I each got our oceanfront rooms. We were compensated $50.00 each with resort credit. (Nice, but we just wanted the rooms we paid for.) Finally, on day two we all were settled. We had a few other “glitches” during the week~ keys didn’t work and needed to be reprogrammed, light bulbs burned out (some replaced/some not,) ran out of certain foods/drinks, etc. but not enough to make our stay bad.

The food was wonderful!!!!! The restaurants offered a liking for everyone. (We did have a few tough steaks.) But overall, we were all satisfied food wise!! There were two memorable dinner moments~ NEW YEAR’S EVE dinner at the buffet was EXCEPTIONAL!!!!! We were greeted by the staff and directed to cocktails and hors d'oeuvres. Each stop along the way offered a different type/kind of drink/cocktail and delicious tasty treats. The set up was INCREDIBLE!!!! And the decorations and lights were PERFECT for the occasion!! The 2013 ice sculpture was really neat too.
Inside, the food was displayed and presented BEAUTIFULLY and TASTEFULLY!!
There was a HUGE Christmas tree made of shrimp~ enough to feed a bazillion!!! There were many sculpted watermelons displaying art and HAPPY NEW YEAR and one with 2013. Even the bread was baked in a 2013 shape. The buffet offered tenderloin, lobster, fish, turkey, chicken and much more. It truly was SPECTACULAR!!!!
The other moment was celebrating my parents’ 60th anniversary. I contacted the “wait staff” prior to our dinner at the gourmet restaurant and they agreed to decorate the tables with the 60th anniversary decorations that I had brought. They did a superb job!! My parents were “blown away” at how festive it looked~ and all for them!!!! The food that evening was terrific as well.
I won’t go into detail on all of the other restaurants as many of the other reviewers have hit it “spot on!!” They’re GREAT and service was wonderful!!

The rooms were very clean and spacious. The maid service and turn down occurred daily, the refrigerator was stocked with any extras as asked. We always brought Bailey’s and Rum Crème back to our room each evening so we could enjoy it in our morning coffee out on the balcony. The oceanfront balcony was HUGE!!!! It sure made a nice place to view the New Year’s Eve fireworks. They were AWESOME!!!!

This brings me to the wonderful New Year’s Eve beach party and fireworks. There was ever-flowing liquor, wine and beer. Each person got a party bag filled with streamers, blowers, masks, hats, toys, etc. It was a GREAT, festive idea. There was a jamming Jamaican band that played well into the night. There was a huge screen T.V. set up so you could see the countdown and the ball drop. And the SPECTACULAR fireworks went off at midnight. This was one of the coolest moments in my life……..so far!!!!

The beach is nice. It doesn’t compare to Negril (IMO) and is much more course as it is man-made. It serves its purpose. The water was clear, turquoise blue. I love seeing my painted toe nails in neck deep water!!! Snorkeling was fun as was kayaking, sailing and parasailing. It sure was a FUN week. We didn’t do a whole lot of “night life.”

The bars and bartenders were AWESOME!! Most remembered your name AND what you drank. AMAZING!!! The entertainment staff was very upbeat, perky and spunky!!
We played volleyball, soccer and horseshoes too!!! Lots to do!!!

The lazy river pool was a fun diversion. The main pool with the swim up bar was the place to “chill!!” The activity pool was a nice change of scenery too. DON’T MISS the SPA POOL!!!!! The pirate ship for kids is a neat addition to the resort.

The property is gorgeous. The plants and flowers are beautiful and there is someone always clipping, cutting, sweeping, scrubbing, buffing and polishing everything.

And a HUGE thanks to Loreto Lazo for allowing us to make reservations for my parent’s 60th anniversary celebration in advance. I did not personally meet her but I truly appreciate her willingness to work with me.

We had a GREAT week at IRHS!!!! Please take a moment and look at the photos of the exceptional work during NYE!!!! Again, it was an INCREDIBLE celebration all week long!!!!

5  Thank travelinJan

Dear guest,

On behalf of all the staff and particularly the General Manager of Iberostar Rose Hall Suites, we would like to thank you for the opportunity you have given us by choosing our resort to spend something as special as your parent’s 60th wedding anniversary. We would also like to express our sincere gratitude to you for the time you taken to share with us and fellow travelers, your opinion of your stay at Iberostar.

Having said that, we are truly thrilled to understand from your kind comments that we have not only been successful in providing you and your family with a memorable experience, but you were also very pleased several aspects of our resort including our cleanliness, suites, food, beach , pools and most importantly, the excellent service delivered by our staff. We will certainly inform all the respective department managers and especially Loreto about their contributions to making your holiday special as this will undoubtedly motivate them to continue improving.

On the other hand, we would like to apologize for any inconvenience you may have encountered with regards to your room category when checking in, but are also thankful that we were able to rectify the issue in a timely manner and furthermore, that this did not affect the overall quality of your stay with us. In closing, we again thank you for choosing Iberostar and we sincerely look forward to serving you again in the near future.

Reviewed January 8, 2013

Our current Jamaican trip started awefully by going to the Riu Montego Bay...that was a terrible place, food was terrible and accomodations unacceptable...after much trouble in trying to find an alternative hotel (all inclusive) we had the great fortune of going to the Iberostar Rose Hall Suites...This was a very spectacular place and I would recommend it to anybody, especially family... The food, the entertainment and the accomodations all top drawer...we are definitely going back.

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar
3  Thank Marco B
SantoValdez, Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica at Iberostar Rose Hall Suites, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2013

Dear guest,

On behalf of all the management and staff at Iberostar Rose Hall Suites, we would like to thank you for not only choosing to be valued guests of our luxurious property, but also for taking the time to write a review for TripAdvisor about how your holiday went with us.

We find it extremely gratifying hearing that after moving to our resort, you have had a memorable experience in Jamaica and thoroughly enjoyed our food, entertainment and accommodations. We are also very proud to understand from your kind comments that you intend to return to Iberostar for a second visit and we therefore sincerely look forward to serving you again.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

We stayed at this resort for 9 nights on a Family vacation.
Our Family has traveled extensively throughout the World primarily at 4 and 5 star hotels.

The Good:

-The food is actually not bad, there is a large selection in the buffet where you will probably have most of your meals.

The The rooms are decent. They are basic and fulfill a standard vacation requirement.
They are not "Suites" per say. They have a small couch and standard hotel room desk.They give you an illusion by having a step down to this area.

The Bad

-There is a definitive compound feeling in the hotel once you pass the 20 foot high metal security entry gates opened painfully slow by a uninterested security guard.

-The beach is man made. Sand was brought in to (build an artificial beach as a result of extensive erosion.

This is my fourth time to Jamaica, having stayed at Sandals properties in the past. I must be ver clear on this point This hotel is not a five star resort by global standards. In North America it would receive a solid 3 stars. Do not expect 5 stars. You will be disappointed.

- Being Jamaica, the service is very slow as you would expect. Waiting 15 minutes standing a the bar is not uncommon. Room service also never arrives as promised.

-The pool is brutally cold. After speaking to a lifeguard as to why, he explained there is a natural water bed below the property keep the pool VERY cold. Please also see other reviews mentioning this. It makes every dip or swim uncomfortable, even in the hot sun.

- The health club equipment is LifeFitness. I used the Gym 4 times and quickly realized the majority of the cardio equipment does not work and is rusting very badly and needs to be replaced. Other guests were actually laughing at the massive amount of rust on the machines.
The bikes are not calibrated properly and the treadmills sound like a very old car in need of a mechanic. The pictures provided by the hotel on their site are not representative of the current state of this hotel.

- As mentioned by other reviews, the rooms smell of mold! To say as other have said, that they are musty does not truly reflect the smell you will encounter.Stay away if you or your children have breathing issues. The sound of loud slamming doors never seems to end. Do not plan on ever being able to take an afternoon nap at this hotel. They need to invest in soft door closing devices.

The bottom line.

The only reason this hotel is rated #2 is that there are hardly any resorts in this area to compare it to. Most people want to avoid the Montego Bay area for safety reasons and lack of natural beaches.

5  Thank R0bert_20

Dear guest,

Let me begin by saying thank you on behalf of the management and staff at Iberostar Rose Hall Suites for not only choosing our resort to spend your vacation, but also for taking time away from your busy schedule to send us your comments on your opinion of your experience at our hotel.

Having said that, we would like to use this opportunity to express our most sincere regrets if you were in any way unsatisfied with our resort but however assure you that this is certainly not a true representation of our standards of operation or the typical experience of our guests. We nevertheless extend our apologies for any dissatisfaction or inconvenience you may have encountered while at our resort. Please note that we will definitely share your remarks with all the respective department managers as it is always our goal to continually improve upon our services and facilities in order to better serve our valued guests.

We are however thankful that despite some of your disappointments, you were satisfied with our delicious food and luxurious suites and hope that we will once again have the pleasure of serving you in the future as we would relish the opportunity to prove to you, our sincere dedication to excellent customer service and satisfaction.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rose Hall
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
#3 of 6 in Rose Hall
Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel
Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island

Been to Iberostar Rose Hall Suites? Share your experiences!