“Great resort -- from top to bottom”

Iberostar Rose Hall Suites
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Rose Hall
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 16, 2012

First, you should know that there are three linked resorts on this property -- the Beaches, the Suites, and the Grand. Beaches is economy (but still fine), the Suites are more upscale, and the Grand is superior but it is only for couples. We checked out the Beaches and the Grand while staying at the Suites and we were very happy with our choice of the Suites. Our room had a king bed and a pull-out sofa, so we had a lot of room. The balcony was large and private. Our room was spotless. We had a broken lock on our patio door. We asked that to be repaired and it was fixed in less than one hour!

All of the staff are very nice -- particularly the wait and serving staff. The front desk people are ok, some are great, but most are low level rude or non-polite. Politeness matters to Canadians. To be fair to the front desk staff, I saw two encounters with unpleasant guests, and the front desk staff handled it quite well. But, it would not hurt the staff to perhaps try to be a little more polite (or at least fake it better).

The Suites is an all-inclusive which means you are pretty well stuck there -- so small annoying issues can tend to add up and ruin your holiday. We were very pleased that we had almost no negative events -- and that is very rare at an all-inclusive.

The food is fantastic -- we loved the Gourmet restaurant. That restaurant was nouvelle cuisine, so we enjoyed not stuffing our faces for at least one night.

We went to the family shows every night and they were quite excellent. Basically a lot of audience participation and physical humor. Both I, my wife, and my daughter loved it. This is a very family-focused resort. You do have the odd drunken boo-hah at the swim-up bar (it is always the swim-up bar) but that was rare and it was handled quite well by staff.

Now, the most annoying thing about all-inclusives are the dreaded reserved pool lounger people. You know, you try to find a lounger at 8:30AM and they are all "reserved" with towels, a flip-flop, or a book. Lounger reserving, of course, occurred at the Suites. It is discouraged by signs, but it was not actively prevented. We arrived two days before Canadian March Break and we had no problems finding somewhere to sit. By the middle of March Break, however, there was no room on the pool deck (well, actually there was a lot of room but it appeared that it was only towels, flip-flops, and books sunning themselves -- where the people were that might have been attached to these items was unknown!).

Yet, we were always able to find a lounger on the beach. So, don't worry, you will always find somewhere to sit in the shade.

One last point -- excursions. We booked the Dunn's River Falls excursion with Cool Runnings that was recommended by our Air Canada on-site rep. Overall, it was nasty. Ninety minute bus ride to Ocho Rios, crappy snorkeling on the reef with one hundred other people, and a visit to the Falls. The Falls was nice (don't think Niagara, think a long bunny hill on a ski resort) and you get to walk up the Falls. But it was quite busy on the day we went and you must go up the Falls with a guide. It seemed every time you turned around someone was trying to extort some form of tip or payment from you. Certainly, could have lived without that.

Instead, the best excursion we had was right at the Suites. We booked a three-hour tour of a mangrove lagoon in kayaks followed by a great snorkel dive. It was only $60 US per person, limited to no more than 10 people per excursion, and was a great deal (if you like that sort of thing). Our guide was fabulous and I would highly recommend that excursion (book it on-site on the beach at the dive-water sports shop).

In sum, overall value: A+. Staff: A+. Food: A+. Front Desk: B-. We loved our stay.

Room Tip: We stayed facing east to children's play zone (non-pool and non-ocean view). Nice sun in the mo...
7  Thank OntarioTravelboy
SantoValdez, Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica at Iberostar Rose Hall Suites, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2012

Dear guest,

Please accept our most genuine appreciations for sharing your extensive yet delightful review of our resort, Iberostar Rose Hall Suites. We are dedicating to creating an environment and providing services that not only meet our valued guest’s expectations but in fact goes above and beyond in surpassing them.

It is an absolute pleasure to have heard you enjoyed our property so much and gave us such a good value rating; we are grateful for each and every comment as this is the best way for us to evaluate our services to ensure we are delivering what is expected. Despite all this, I would however like to use this opportunity to apologize for the front desk staff not being as friendly as you would have liked but hope this will not deter your from returning to Iberostar Rose Hall Suites as it will indeed be a pleasure for us to host you again at our resort. Once more thank you for choosing Iberostar Rose Hall Suites.

Reviewed March 16, 2012

I have never written a review before and without going in to great detail - the headline is that the Iberostar Rose Hall Suites gave away our confirmed, pre paid rooms. Over booking was their only explanation. How is that possible on a confirmed, pre paid room? 3 of them actually. I had my children with me and they gave away ALL of our rooms. They offered no apology and no explanation. They did offer us a room in the lower end property for 1 night and then an upgrade for our remining nights. With only 4 nights away I wasn't interested in unpacking, repacking and unpacking. Our travel agen was also unsuccessful in getting to the bottom of this. We moved hotels and had a wonderful time in spite if an awful first day.
PS -- I did write a letter to the hotel and got back a form apology letter. Delete.

3  Thank Details1
SantoValdez, Quality Manager - Iberostar Jamaica at Iberostar Rose Hall Suites, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2012

Dear Guests,

Once more we would like to apologize and deeply regret the uncomfortable situation you where confronted with upon arrival to the Iberostar Rose Hall Suites. It is correct that the Hotel due an error in reservations was fully booked on the day of your arrival and our only option was to accommodate you for the 1st night in a room at the sister Hotel Iberostar Rose Hall Beach with accesses to our facilities, before having the possibility to move you back to the Suites on the following day.

We certainly appreciate the seriousness of this inconvenience for you and understand that this experience tarnished your opinion of Iberostar but we would like to assure you that this was a unforeseen error in our booking engine.

Reviewed March 15, 2012

First, I never right reviews...good or bad. However this one warrants a review as it was perfect. This resort was fantastic from arrival until the sad day that we had to leave.

Facilities - 10/10 (try to get a room on 3 floor or higher)
Food - 10/10
Staff - 10/10
Location 10/10
Entertainment - 10/10
Star Friends 12/10 (they were unbelievable)

Do not even look at another resort as this one has it all. My only disappointment (and it's a small one) is that you pay for water sports like the banana boat and snorkeling from a boat.

I would recommend this resort to my friends, family and anyone that would listen. take my advice...if you are going to Jamaica, definitely book this resort

Room Tip: 3 floor or higher will give you the best view of the ocean (we were in rooms 3119 and 3121)...note t...
4  Thank Tommathan

Dear guest,

On behalf of the management team and staff here at Iberostar Rose Hall Suites I would like to extend a special word of thanks for your delightful review of our resort. We very much appreciate the fact that you took the time to point out some of our most notable and memorable qualities including our lavish accommodations and facilities, mouthwatering food, lively entertainment, and last but certainly not least the staff and especially the star friends who I’m sure made you feel right at home and like family. This level of service is what we aim to provide to each and every guest that chooses to vacation with us. We so very happy that you will no longer take a look at any other resort as I’m sure we have set the bar quiet high; for this we are grateful.

Thank you again for your kind recommendation and we do hope to welcome you some time in the near future as it was indeed a pleasure to have served you at our resort, Iberostar Rose Hall Suites.

Reviewed March 13, 2012

My husband and I just got back last week from Montego Bay, Jamaica. It was our first time in Jamaica and we chose Montego Bay. Our travel agent suggested we stayed at the Iberostar and she explained to us how the resort has three different sections, we decided to stay at the Suites. My husband and I both are very picky and I have to say that Iberostar will not let you down! The room was big, clean and even though we had a garden view it was still a beautiful view. The entire staff is awesome and very nice. Our room was cleaned three times per day and I loved it! The pool, the bars, the disco the beach, the food, everything was wonderful! We had access to the Beach Hotel as well and we went to their restaurants too. Everything was great at the Resort! I would recommend this resort to anyone that is picky and wants a nice clean place with great food and entertainment. Shout outs to Fitzroy! He took good care of our bags.

Room Tip: Ocean View would be the best choice, but if you choose garden view you will still get a nice view.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Denise R

Dear guest,

Thank you for your generous review of our resort Iberostar Rose Hall Suites and for all of your positive comments; your time taken in doing this is much appreciated. We are deeply grateful for your special mention of our resorts desire for cleanliness, quality food, luxurious accommodations and facilities including an amazing infinity pool with swim up bar and pristine white sandy beaches and most significantly your mention about our hard working staff.

Our goal is to provide you our guests with an ambiance of total relaxation and one that satisfies all your needs and wants. It is an absolute pleasure to know that we are heading in the right direction and are meeting our goals of presenting you with first class accommodations, amenities and services; we are ever motivated by comments such as yours. I will also ensure your bellman Fitzroy receives your kind words of encouragement.

We look forward to hosting you at our lovely resort in the future and hope you will not hesitate to visit us in the near future.

Reviewed March 11, 2012

The hotel was great we had a wedding at another location and stayed here. We chose this hotel because we had guests from infant to adult. The hotel offered many activities and restaurants to please all. We ate at all the specialty restaurants at the suites location. My top choices were the Mexican and gourmet. The other restaurants were all good the barbeque on the beach was great. The hotel was very clean and rooms were comfortable. The staff was great. Lacey our waitress on the beach was excellent. She told us about all what Jamaica had to offer. Don't just stay at the hotel or you will have missed Jamaica. We hired Paradise Travels in Jamaica for all our transportation needs. They are family owned and operated by Jermain Smith and family. He arranged wedding day transportation and it involved several pick ups and drop offs trough out the day and night. His answer was always no problem. He was so professional on wedding day, they arrived to pick us up in suits. I was touched and impressed. We took several trips with Jermain and he always educated us along the way. The island is lovely and so are the people. When we left Jamaica we left new friends behind who we hope to meet again.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank 18Sally

Dear guest,

I would like to use this opportunity to show our gratitude to you for not only choosing to be one of our valued guests here at Iberostar Rose Hall Suites but also for taking the time to leave behind such a generous review of our resort. We are deeply gratified by your comments and especially those about our resorts cleanliness, various activities, delicious food options and most notably, the welcoming and friendly hospitality of the Jamaican people and our staff.

I would just like to remind you that we are always here to serve you and we look forward to welcoming you at our resort in the future should you ever decide to vacation in Jamaica again; Im sure you’re new friends you left behind are just as eager to have you return.

Reviewed March 9, 2012

I was here Feb 21-28 with just another friend going to jamaica to let loose, party and be drunk for a week. Overall the resort was great. My review will definitely help anyone who wants to party and have a good time in jamaica as I left the resort every night.

This resort is perfect for a couple who want piece and quiet.. or if you have a few kids as there's a descent water park for them. The resort had lots of older people or couples, it wasn't very busy and the pool bars were always empty with few people drinking at them so no issues ever getting drinks or dealing with drunk people. We ended up hanging out at the cheaper iberorstar pool drinking as the pool bar wasn't blocking out the sun like it was at the iberorstar rose hall suites. Overall the pool bar should be hopping, should have lots of people hanging out, but the iberorstar resorts pool bars were empty. They did very little for entertainment by the pools with drinking games, or trivia, or anything to have people in the pools. The activities they did do were extremely lame and repeated daily. I think as well because all 3 iberorstar resorts are connected that people are walking between all 3 limiting those who may be at the pool bars.

It was a waste of money to pay the extra to stay at the iberostar rose hall suites..but I am glad I did not pay to stay at the most expensive one as originally planned because that one was the quietest out of all 3 and the only extra things you get are more restaurants.

Nightlife: We left the resort every night for the first 5 nights. On tues we hit up margaritaville and had a great time.. only the main floor was open but everyone was dancing and enjoying them self. We were not harrassed and at no point did we ever feel unsafe leaving the resort.

Wednesday we hit up Moody's (strippers) on the hip strip. It was beyond lame, the dancers were lazy and not really dancing and the strippers expect you to give them a tip when they haven't done anything at all. I also didn't enjoy the tongue in my ear but if thats your thing then you know where to go. We did walk around and hit up random places to drink afterwards. While walking in town you get harrassed a lot but if you tell the people no politely that's normally the end of the conversation.

Thursday- We ended back at margaritaville for ladies night. Both floors were open and it was extremely busy and we had a better time then tuesday, You must go here on thurs with how busy it was! One floor is reggae and the other floor is top 40 music for all the tourists. Something for everyone this night.

Friday- We went to pier one which is a bar on a pier which has a long dock that is opened up. We had an ok time here but there wasn't as many people dancing on the dance floor maybe because its not as touristy. If you are a non smoker\drug user like me avoid the dock as its full of people getting high or trying to sell you drugs. Overall no regrets going as i got to see more of jamaica and still enjoyed the music.

Saturday- The disco on the resort was extremely busy starting right when it opened at 11pm. No need to go anywhere on a saturday night if its always that busy. Supposedly iberorstar is one of the only resorts with a disco which I learned from one of our cab drivers. Sunday and monday were spent at the disco as well as we needed time to recover from all of our late nights.

When out in the town at the clubs because we were 2 single guys we were propositioned numerous times by the ladies. The ladies don't hold back in the clubs and will drag you into the bathroom if that's what you want.

The resort itself had great food.. no complaints except for the gourmet restaurant as Its the only one I did not like. Most restaurants have a buffet of appetizers you go up and grab and then you order your main course. You will not go hungry at this resort. The room service at 3-4 am every night was awesome as well. Food always came quickly!

Overall the vacation was great but the resort was just a little too quiet for my liking. If you want a resort that parties hard the best western always had people getting on our bus going into town with us.. and some nights there were so many people that they had an entire bus for them self. Almost every night we left the iberorstar we were the only ones on the bus taking us into town.

I will definitely go back to jamaica and I would recommend this resort to those who want piece and quiet. If you like a busy pool bar to drink at and meet people avoid this resort at all cost!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
10  Thank gwill211

Dear guest,
Thank you so very much for taking the time to write and post such an elaborate review of our resort, Iberostar Rose Hall Suites; it was indeed a pleasure to have hosted at our resort. Although you seemed to enjoy the resort, its services, food and facilities, I do however understand that there were a few circumstances which contributed to you maybe not enjoying our resort as much as possible. We are truly apologetic if you found our entertainment options limited and not as lively as other resorts. Here at Iberostar Rose Hall Suites we do aim to provide an atmosphere that fully satisfies all our guests’ needs, wants and expectations and we will definitely take into consideration all our comments.

Once again, please accept our sincerest appreciations for choosing to vacation with us and we hope that despite some of your more negative opinions of our resort that you will once again give us an opportunity to prove our dedication to complete guest satisfaction.

Reviewed March 9, 2012

This was our first visit to jamaica and from the first time til the last we were made to feel like royalty, this is the best hotel we have been to and we were so imporessed we have booked for xmas and new year and are counting the weeks down. The rooms are spacious and sheets were changed daily, kept spotless and .mini fridge refilled daily.We always managed to get our favourite chairs round the pool and Cassandra was marvellous, she must walk miles taking orders for drinks bless her. During the day we were kept in stitches with the star friends who always remembered our names, stingray called us her adopted english mamma,daddy and bro and zena and kiki always came and had a laugh withg us too. they work so hard to keep you happy. we loved the club dances every afternoon. The pool was mosly warm and the lazy river was lovely.The food was the best weve had in any hotel and the servers were so friendly like the rest of the staff. We went to the steakhouse and mexican which was good but found the buffet had so much variety we were more than satisfied. we all put on about 5lbs each we ate so much.There was icecream all day at the pool bar and the infinity pool was awesome and kept clean, even leaves were taken out during the day. The beach was cleaned each morn and even the sand was flattened, it seems nothing is too much trouble at this hotel and i would like to congratulate and thank every one who works here for an amazing holiday and would recommend this hotel to anyone thinking of holidaying in jamaica.

Room Tip: we had a corner suite and had marvellous views of the beach but if you have a seaview room ask for a...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank manicm00

Dear guest,

On behalf of the management team and entire body of staff here at Iberostar Rose Hall Suites I would like to say a special thank you for not only choosing to be a guest here but also for you dedicating the time to write such a warm and genuine review of our resort after your recent experience with us; we are deeply grateful for all your comments.

Here at Iberostar Rose Hall Suites we aim to have each and every guest leave our resort feeling like royalty, exceeding any and all expectations. I am so pleased that you felt fully satisfied with all our facilities and services starting from your clean and spacious suite, to the decadent dining options, immaculate beach infinity pool and most importantly the staff who im sure played a significant part in your vacation ending on such a positive note.

I will ensure that each of the persons you mentioned as well as their respective manager receives your kind words of praise. We are also very happy that you have again chosen to vacation with us for Christmas and New Years and we too are counting down the weeks to your return. I can guarantee that we will make every effort to make your next trip as memorable as the first. Once again thank you for making it Iberostar Rose Hall Suites.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rose Hall
#11 of 64 in Montego Bay
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
#1 of 1 in Ironshore

Been to Iberostar Rose Hall Suites? Share your experiences!