“Fabulous Trip with our young families (Long and Detailed)”

Iberostar Rose Hall Suites
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Rose Hall
GreenLeadersGold level
Saskatchewan, Canada
“Fabulous Trip with our young families (Long and Detailed)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2012

We visited the IBRHS Jan 5-12, 2012 as a group of 4 - husband and I (mid 30s), and 2 girls (10 and 4) and the resort was fantastic. This was my daughters first hot holiday, so finding the perfect resort was my ulitmate goal and this fit the bill.

First Impressions - This resort is grand, stunning and so clean (and as an added bonus a quick 20 min or less from the airport)! It was simply beautiful. We arrived at the resort after travelling through the night at 8:30 a.m. - over 6 hours before the 3 pm check-in. I had emailed a few weeks in advance requesting an ocean and pool view room and informed them of our early arrival. We were greeted by a warm and friendly young lady at the check-in counter who immediately looked at us asked our names and checked on the status of our room. She advised us it was not ready but she was going to check and see if there was another room we could be placed in. We were in our room (3327) that fully met my request for a ocean and pool view, with our bags at 8:50 and eating breakfast by 9:10. In fact, we got our room so quick, I hadn't finished at the guest services desk making our a la carte reservations. The quick check in could have been that we had a toddler, but it was certainly appreciated.

Room and Housekeeping - All the rooms are suites. When you entered 3327 there is the bathroom (jaquzui tub, shower, double sinks with a large vanity, toilet) and kitchen area (with a door a mini-fridge, coffee maker), huge closet and storage shelving areas with sliding doors to hide all our stuff. There is then a door that you can close to separate the storage area/entry way from the rest of the room. The remainder of the room is two double beds, a table with 4 chairs and a pull out couch. There is also a large flat screen tv and dvd player, along with a unit that has a few drawers and additional shelving space. So much storage that I can "hide" all the stuff I overpack. There is a nice size balcony with a small table and chairs and a drying rack. Housekeeping makes up your room twice a day, early afternoon and the evening turndown service. Each day all of our dirty towels/faceclothes were changed at each of these times. If you needed anything extra, there was always a housekeeping personnel nearby, extra towel - no problem. The days my husband went scuba diving, we would leave up the do not disturb sign until he returned, rinsed out his gear, showered and the room would be made up within an hour after we removed the sign. Housekeeping was so good that on one of the days the do not disturb sign was left up the entire day by accident. We informed the front desk of our error and told them what time we would be leaving our room for supper and I checked on it when we returned and it had been made up. True customer service.

Food/Restaurants/Room Service - Breakfast was buffet. We have a large variety of tastes in our party and we all left satisfied. In terms of made-to-order stations, there was an omlet/egg station, pankakes and french toast, and juice bar. There was also a cook making fresh donuts. Tasty! We were always seated immediately, and in and out as quickly as we wanted. They have some packaged granola/nutrigrain bars and crackers which we would grab a few for snacks for the kids at our room.

Lunch was buffet at aunt ruby's steakhouse. Your standard fare. There was always pizza, pasta, hamburgers, hotdogs, some jamaican specialty dishes, meats being cooked (steak, chicken breast, pork chops), salad bar, cheeses.

Al a cartes. As we were staying 7 days we had 4 guaranteed reservations. We opted for the buffet the first evening and ate al a carte the remaining 6. We ate at the Mexican, Mediteranean, Steakhouse, Japanese. We had a reservation at the Gourmet but it was for 8:30 on the last evening so we decided to get an earlier reservation at the steakhouse so we could go to the 8:15 kids show. We wanted to try the Cajun but couldn't get in which was disappointing. In our experience, it was the easiest to get into the Mexican, Mediteranean and Steakhouse so if you want to eat at the Cajun or Japanese, be sure to book them upon arrival using your reservations. Foodwise, the mexican and mediteranean were my favorite - I was surprised to see lobster on the menu at the mexican and found the best coconut shrimp I ever tasted at the appetizer bar there. Our least favorite was the Steakhouse - my husband felt the steak at the mediteranean was better. The seafood grill at the mediteranean is a must try. It says minimum of two to order it, but I am the only seafood lover in my house, so my husband asked if they would do a half order and they did (I ate half of the half - such a big serving). The mexican is also open through the night a a grill for the late night, post drinking munchies. All al a cartes had a kids menu with the standard kids fare, but were always given the option to order off the adult menu.

Room service. For the most part within 30-40 minutes - once or twice (late at night) it took over an hour. Awesome chicken nuggets. No breakfast items, but they had a few pizzas, sandwhiches, salads, desserts. For chocoholics the chocolate hazelnut tart was sooo yummy. I ordered it on a few occasions.

Bars - No complaints about the drinks - they were delicious. The staff were very fast and helpful (with or without tips). They had outstanding non-alcoholic mixed drinks for the kids. I do caution you about the Bob Marley shot - tread carefully with that one - it is a doozy! The poolside/beach waitstaff were awesome. As soon as they saw you claiming a chair, they were over to see if they could get anything. There are two outdoor bars in one builidng in the pool area - the pool bar and a walk up bar on the other side. Whether you are 4 or 40 they treat you awesome and get you wahtever you like (my girls felt like princesses with their special drinks). The lobby bar was my favorite - great coffee and the cappucino (which I don’t drink) got great feedback. We did not try out the disco (as we had kids and you have to be 18 to go).

Pool Area/Beach - My husband has a strict requirement of shade all day, and my requirement is the ability to move my chair into the sun. We also like to be centrally located (close to bard, bathrooms, etc). Each and every day we achieved that. One day we did not go to the pool area until 11:00 am and another after lunch and we still got exactly what we wanted. You DID NOT have to reserve chairs at the crack of dawn. They NEVER ran out of towels and you could trade them in as often as you wanted. I constantly saw staff bringing clean towels and taking away the dirty ones. The lazy river was a hit with my kids. The beach and water was great, not rocky - water was clear and warm.

Entertainment Crew/Kids Club - We were impressed. They were firendly and chatty without being annoying and pushy to join. They ALL made a point of remembering the kids names. You only had to tell them your childs name once and then they were on a first name basis. As a special treat, the new water park /pirate ship feature open 5 days before we arrived and the kids loved it. Our youngest went to the kids club without us a few times and enjoyed it when she did, but liked hanging out with us. The kids shows were great and the general show was kid-appropriate, for the most part. The beach party is not to miss. It was the highlight of the evening entertainment.

Watersports - Watersports were extra and operated by Dressel Dives. I went parasailing which was superfun. My husband went diving and was really impressed with the staff and had good dives. Our daughter did her first pool dive and thought it was really cool.

Safety - I had absolutely not one safety concern (and I am a majorly overprotective mother). I even let my 10 year old explore a bit or go to the pool area without us.

Lifeguards are fantastic and watch the pool/sea great - I even heard them "blow the whislte" a few times (which I have never heard before in Jamaica) and saw them talking to kids getting a bit rough and rowdy. In fact, I left the waterpark to take my youngest to the washroom and immediately the lifeguard asked my older daughter where her sister was.

Downsides - No resort is perfect, so here are a few of the downsides. With the exception of Aunt Rubies (which was our least favorite al a carte), all of the restaurant were indoors and airconditioned. The pools were FREEZING - this seems to be common with all resorts I have visited and since I am always cold, it would be nice to have a non-freezing pool. The only hot tub was inside at the spa (which my kids could not got to). There is not an outdoor bar/lounge in the evenings - just patios crowded with smokers. I really wished all resorts had an outdoor lounge with live music each night. This is not a resort issue, but I get SOOOOO annoyed with guests who have a sense of entitlement and, for example, bellow out demands and are rude. We had double beds (not queen) - however they were SUPER comfy and both my hubby and I fell asleep as soon as our heads hit the pillows.

Overall impression - Amazing - I have not seen staff work as hard as staff do at this resort. Service is fantastic and fast (was missig the "jamaica time" a little bit). The resort is sparkling clean (even the bathrooms). And everyone greets you with a hello and a warm smile. Of special note, there was a wedding of 130 people there for most of the time we were and I did not feel it affected my trip or service in the least. Everyone is treated equally here and kudos to the staff or that. If you are wavering between beach or suites, go with your gut and book the suites - IMO totally worth the additional cost. I would not have been as happy at Rose hall beach, but I am a bit of "princess". I would return tomorrow and have already recommended it to friends.

This was our first, but I doubt our last to IBRHS! Too_cold.

Room Tip: If you like a nice view of ocean and pool area - 3327 is great.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
20 Thank Too_Cold_in_Sask

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,038)
  • Czech first
Markham, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2012

First I have to say, this is one of the cleanest resorts I have been to. The food was very good and the a la cartes were easy to book and you could do the whole week all at once, NICE!. The Beach was big with lots of chairs and lots to do. The pools were big and again with plenty of chairs. This resort is large but has a great personal feel to it! The entertainment was the best I have ever seen! We could not wait to see what Crazy Kenny and his crew where going to do next! The Dancers/Singers and Musicians where friendly and very talented.... One Love to kiki, Sting Ray, Mo Mo, VIP, OMG and Crazy Kenny!!!! The spa and workout facilities were again best in class! The Bar was well stocked with premium brands and waiters were around constantly! The Disco was hoppen' and rocken' what a blast!

Our Room was an Ocean Front Room 3433, if you can get it you will not get a better view anywhere! Great space, very clean. would have been nice if the bar fridge was better stocked and the room should have WiFi in this day and age, but really no big deal!!!

What can I say We had a blast, would recommend and will go back!!!!!!

Room Tip: Pay for Ocean Front.... It is so worth it. Stay at the Grand or Suites do not stay at the Beach it...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Brampton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2012

I was here with my husband, my best friend and her boy friend. We all loved it, from the room to the food to the pools to the beach. I was kinda disappointed on the beach. We only had one day that the beach was calm and not windy. We were there 2nd week of November. I was told it was the end of the hurricane season that's why it was quite windy. Other than that the food was very good even the buffet. I have travel everywhere from Cuba to Dominican, we travel once a year and so far Jamaican food is my best. Sooo much different variety of choices and very tasty too. We tried few restaurants but all four of us agreed the buffet was better. The service was excellent. We noticed the worker was not driven by tips but we tipped anyways coz we know they work hard. Tip or no tip you will still get good service here. Every day there was a wedding going on. Very beautiful to look at. The entertainment at night was ok. We didn't go everything. But the nights that we did, they sure knows how to make as laugh with all their dirty adults games. It was fun.
Over all i give this resort a 4.5. My friend is getting marry in July, I'm trying to convince her to come here instead of going to Riu in Negril. If anyone is thinking of coming here or the beach. I strongly suggest you up grade to the suite. You will not be disappointed. I hope to come back in July!!!!!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Phokham S
Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2012

I traveled with my husband to the Iberostar Rose Hall Suites in July of 2011 to photograph a wedding there.

Destination weddings are usually smaller affairs than those held stateside, but this was the exception to the rule. There were about 150 guests at the wedding, and we were told by the staff that it was the largest wedding that had ever been held on the property.

The bride was Indian and the groom was Nigerian and they wanted to make sure that they honored both of their cultures during their wedding.

The result was an amazing celebration spread out over the course of five days.

During our time we definitely got to see all of this amazing resort, as well as experience some of the local culture.

There were a variety of events during our stay and we had the unique experience of having each one in a different spot of the resort.

The first night there was a small event held on the terrace adjacent to the lobby bar. The resort had set up sound equipment outside so that music could be played, and there was a great view of the pools and the ocean from up there.

The next night everything was held at The Aunt Ruby Beach Restaurant, and we had the entire space to ourselves, which was really nice. The event had two parts, and the resort set out food buffet style in between the two events.

The following day was the main day of events, starting with a ceremony in the Dome Atrium. The space held everyone and was very private, which was great, especially for such a large crowd. It wasn't the most beautiful place, as it's tucked between two buildings, but it definitely got the job done.

Later that afternoon there was another ceremony on the pool deck in the island area, which is sort of adjacent to where the game area is. The pool deck area wasn't nearly as private as the Dome Atrium, but much more beautiful.

The lazy river wraps around the ceremony area, and the beach is easily seen as well. Other hotel guests who were around the pool deck watched the wedding, and some people watched from their balconies as well, but everyone was polite and there were no interruptions from the crowd.

The reception was held in the conference center which is closer towards the Grand part of the hotel. (The hotel is divided into three parts, Suites, Beach, and Grand) The conference center was a great ball room space and the hotel staff did a great job setting up the decorations and creating an attractive display of food for dinner.

There was a projection screen set up to show a slideshow and the hotel staff set that up as well.

The morning after the wedding the bride and groom and I went over to the aqueduct ruins at a nearby hotel (I believe it was a Hilton.) The staff at the Rose Hall Suites arranged for a cab to take us over there and made the arrangements for us to visit the aqueducts. There is a small charge to visit the aqueducts, maybe $20, but from a photo standpoint, it's definitely worth it!

After that was a day of relaxation and everyone went on a snorkel cruise to Margaritaville. The trip was enjoyable and the booze was free flowing on the boat. There is a water slide at Margaritaville and water trampolines.

Overall, I found the staff at the hotel to be extremely courteous and helpful. Room service was always fairly quick and the food was tasty.

The room was spacious, and the minibar was well stocked.

The only issue I had with the food was that you can only order one entree at the restaurant at dinner. I know that sounds greedy, but sometimes if you're hungry, you need some more food!

I've been to other all-inclusive resorts that allow you to order whatever you'd like off of the menu with no restrictions.

It's not a huge deal, but I figured it was worth mentioning.

All of the food I had was good, and as a frequent sufferer of food poisoning when traveling, I was THRILLED that I didn't have any issues at all with the food here :)

If you'd like to see more pictures from the wedding to get a better idea of the different set ups at each event, you can see this blog post: http://bit.ly/pMDdHI

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank QueenBecca037
Toronto Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2012

We went on vacation with a few families that inc kids from the ages of 6 to 13. It was a great trip. We love the Iberostar resorts. This one was fantastic. The resort is clean and fairly new. We didn't experience any problems with any staff, inc the front desk. They were actually very friendly and helpful.
The food was good for an all inclusive. We stuck mainly to the buffet. We tried the Mexican but the kids did not enjoy it so we decided to stick to the buffet. It has a large variety of foods, pasta station, pizza, fries, fishes, meat, cheese, Jamaican section, salads, veggies, fruits, desserts etc.
The beach is not the greatest we have seen. No comparison to Varadero Cuba. But hey, your on vacation and its better then being at home.
The pools were a bit too cool for our liking but the kids didn't seem to mind.
The Star Friends are great, they really work hard and seem to enjoy their jobs.
The kids club waterpark is complete and really nice.
Would I go back, probably, especially with young kids given its so close to the airport, but I would love to try Negril when the kids are older and can handle a long bus ride.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good and most have a beach view. Stay on the 4th floor.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2012

My husband and I, along with another couple, stayed at the Iberostar Rose Hall Suites, the first week of December 2011. We had a wonderful vacation. The hotel was approximately a 20 minute drive from the airport. The hotel was spotless, the staff was friendly and very accommodating! When we checked into our room, it smelled of smoke (although they advise that they are a non-smoking hotel.) They were very accommodating and moved us to another room, immediately, which did not smell of smoke and the view was much, much better. I would suggest that you book a 'standard room' and when you check in, ask for an upgrade. Our room, with a partial ocean view, was great! It was cleaned each day. Staff also came around, each evening, to see if we needed extra towels, etc. That was a nice added touch! The food, at the buffet, offered a lot of variety and was delicious (we ate there a lot!). We actually preferred it over the other restaurants we had access to! The beach was nice, however, the sand was not the white sandy beach you may see on other Caribbean islands. The water was nice, however, there was some seaweed that you needed to watch out for. The infinity pool was amazing and had a swim up bar! They offered free scuba diving demos, in the pool, throughout the day which was quite the experience. The shows, which they offered each night, were really good - we thoroughly enjoyed them. Overall we had a wonderful holiday and would not hesitate to stay at this hotel again!!

Room Tip: We recommend that you don't stay on the main floor as there is a bar, very small casino and a lo...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
9 Thank jdrain
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2012

My wife and I spent 5 days there in November 2011 attending a Destination Wedding for friends. The resort itself is spectacular. The staff were extremely helpful and the food and cleanliness were also top notch.
We only had one problem with some food poisoning issues on the last day there which made for an interesting flight home, but the rest of the vacation was wonderful. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: All the rooms seem to be fine, we had a garden and ocean view which was nice. The only downside/upsi...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
#1 of 1 in Ironshore
3.5 of 5 bubbles 5,848 reviews
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay

Been to Iberostar Rose Hall Suites? Share your experiences!