“Exceeded My Expectations”

GreenLeadersGold level
New Jersey
“Exceeded My Expectations”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2011

This has been my second stay at an Iberostar hotel and I was more than pleased. I had stayed at one in Mexico, but the Rose Hall was definitely more grand and sophisticated...while the Mexico resort was more "fun."

The room was fantastic! I believe every room has a balcony...and we lucked out because we got the biggest balcony on our side. The rooms are very spacious with lots of closet space and a huge tub! There are his/her sinks. The bathroom was amazing!

Food was great! Breakfast and lunch consisted of buffet meals (one day there was a beach bbq...which was the BEST lunch we had) and we scheduled a dinner each night. We ate at the Cajun, Steakhouse, Gourmet, Mexican, and Japanese restaurants. Two of them were at the Beach resort so we walked there....5 min walk. The Japanese restaurant was the best...hibachi style! Save that for your last night because you won't want to eat any more food after that. They give you so much.

The pool was amazing and waitresses kept the drinks coming. We never had a problem finding a chair at the pool or beach...it was very quiet at the resort. I am usually up early to run and get a chair but thankfully I didn't have to do that here. The lazy river was very lazy....barely moved you along. Still fun though!

The ocean had a lot of seaweed and rocks which was disappointing...but I spent most of my time in the pool anyway. The water was warm and a blue/green. It's not the bright turquoise blue of the Bahamas.

The staff were so friendly! Definitely some of the nicest people I have met on a vacation.

I would go back to this resort in a heartbeat...but I would like to try the Grand next door. It's an upgraded version of this hotel and adults only.

Room Tip: Ask for Ocean View (at least). You get a view of the entire resort and it's beautiful
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Leap84Froggy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,038)
  • Czech first
Bohemia, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2011

My husband and I took my 16 and 19 year old sons, along with my 79 year old mother. It was wonderful for all of us. The Star friends are the best. We loved Bruce (Sparko) and Momo (Alix) the best. They were really nice and I loved doing water aerobics and archery with them. My sons & I each won hats & I won a shirt too for the highest arcgery scores. When we were not on a tour, we spent most of our time in the infinity pool, near the swim-up-bar. The beach was not great. I got stung by a jelly fish & it was a bit rocky close to the shore. If you wanted to walk to the other hotel, the beach was much better. None of them compared to the beacges in Negril though. They could not even come close. The color was brown & green instead of the beautiful colors of the usual caribean waters. If you don't care about the ocean then this is the best hotel to choose. The rooms are very big. There are 3 sections. A sitting area, a sleeping/ tv area and a bathroom /closet area. My sons stayed in a room with their grandmother & they each had their own bed to sleep in. They had 2 double beds & a couch that turnened into a pull-out bed that was made up for them every evening. The food was excellent. There was ALWAYS something I could find to eat, and I am very picky. The breakfest buffet was nothing less than amazing. Lunch was good also. I was VERY upset about the dress policy, only because we were not told about it before we got there. Boys have to wear pants at the restaurants (not buffet) unless they are little. They did have pants to lend out, but my 16 year old son is a football player & there were no pants we could find that he could fit into. He ended up borrowing his grandmother's large stretchy pants & made a joke out of it. The steak house and Cajun were good, but the Japanese and gourmet were fantastic. The Mexican was just fair, not reallly authentic. We did not eat at the Mediterranean because none of us are fish eaters. The spa is very nice, but the hot tubs are actually cold tubs. We went on 3 tours. The boys loved the ATV tour through a plantation. I returned to Dunns River Falls, which is a must if you are a first timer to Jamaica. We all loved something called the Luninous Lagoon. It was too amazing to actually imagine. Due to the perfect temperaatures of the ocean meeting a river & the temp in the air & the pankton & ... the water actually GLOWS as it is moved. You look like you are making a "snow angel" of light as tou wave your arms. The water sparkels as you lift your hand out of the water. We were all in awe, even my mother who was to afraid to swim in the blackest of nights. There are only a few places in the world to see this, so it was really magical to be a part of it. Most of the shows were just fair, but before they began the star friends danced with the audiance & made it fun and worthwhile. Some of the shows were good though. We have gone to VERY MANY all-inclusive resorts in he Caribbean & neighboring areas. The hotel & staff were among the best. Do check with the different tour agencies. The excursions varried in price by more than just a few dollars. Also, if you buy anything in the gift shops, check the prices. They are all privately owned 7 have very diferent prices.especiall y on water shoes. The best place to shop is at the huts past the last hotel at the beaches resort. You have to leave the property & it's a bit scarey, but go with a few people at a time to get great prices. I was able to save over 75% on most items. Offer them the lowest price possible & most times they wil take it. Just stand firm, Be ready to smell marijuana though, which almost made me sick. They smkoe it right in the open, even in front of little kids. I would nord nor bring children in there. They do not touch or harrass you though. They just want you to take a look at their "booth." If you don't see something you like they will leave you alone. If you show interest, they will keep asking you to buy it, so have in mind what you are willing to pay, beause they WILL drop the price to what you want to give. They are the same people ine the water on the boats. The asked for a lot of money for their wodden ornaments. My son walked into the water with five dollar bill. He asked about one item & they told him it was $25. He told them he only had $5 and they said okay in a heart beat. Thay didn't even hesitate. All in all, I loved the entire experiance. I love to try a new country every year, with a few repeats, otherwise I would go back to this hotel without question. Again, the hotel itself & the staff are all great!

3 Thank mcesare
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2011

the rooms,food and service was very good! we had the best waitresses and waitors were very nice and quick. Sexy poppy and myself had a good time. Cassandra(trainee) was the most patient and nice person i met there. Simmone and Kaleema were the best also. The beach party was great for me and sexy poppy(Dan). They made him a star! The room3131 had a wonderful view and was very nice. the beach barbie was very good and it had i nice touch with the steel drums. The only thing i wish they had was little tables and chairs to sit on outside in the eve.So all and all i loved the rose hall suites and i will be staying at iberostar from here on in! What i great vacation thanks to the staff and i highley recomend this hotel! Oh yea we lost our travel mugs and if we were going to be there I'm sure i would of got them back...this place is the tops!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank dianainpa
Monmouth Junction, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2011

I stayed at the Iberostar from July 25th to the 27th as part of a wedding party. I cant say enough about this hotel, from the quick check in to the good food and friendly staff everything was professional and guest oriented. If anyone has been to Jamaica before you may know everything surrounds the ever anticipated "TIP". At the Iberostar i was never once propositioned for gratuity from the staff, that in it self left a huge impression on me.
If i were to nit pick, it would be the directional signs around the hotel. Once you get out of your elevator and make the first turn, your on your own! After the first day you get accustomed to where things are, but i can see how young children or seniors would have a little bit of an issue getting around.
If your lucky enough to meet KeKe, one of the entertainment staff, your day just got a lot more fun! An employee who likes their job is a good employee and KeKe either loves her job or is an amazing actress! I would be more than happy to stay at the Iberostar Suits again!

Room Tip: If you would like at least a partial ocean view, ask to be place in floors 3 or 4.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Homesh1979
Ft. McMurray
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2011

We travelled to Montego Bay with a group of 30 for our wedding. Iberostar was a great choice for a large group and everyone loved the resort. The resort is not too large but large enough that there was tons for everyone to do, and lots of restaurant and food choices.
Resort/accommodations: Rooms were spacious, clean and modern. Balconies are large and all have fantastic views. We had an oceanfront room which was exactly the same on the inside as the other room categories. The only difference is that you are closer to the beach. In retrospect, I would not have paid extra for this room since all of the rooms have a great view and we were a really far walk from the lobby/restaurants. The lobby and all of the restaurants are beautiful. Room service varied among all of our guests. Some friends told us they had amazing room service, others only had their rooms cleaned every couple of days and had trouble getting towels etc. I only ordered room service once (on the day of my wedding while getting ready). It never did show up and we ordered about 1 ½ before the wedding.
Restaurants: We ate at all of the restaurants except the Cajun. We enjoyed the food everywhere but liked the Mediterranean restaurant the best. Lunch time was always buffet. It would have been nice to have the option of ordering from a menu. I require a gluten free diet and this was accommodated easily at the a la carte restaurants but was more difficult during lunch hour. The chefs preparing the buffet seemed to be less knowledgeable about this so I was very limited to what I could eat during the day. All of our family and friends enjoyed the food and thought there was plenty of variety. Everyone loved the daily beach barbeque.
Beach: The beach was nice and clean. The snorkelling was good right off the beach. You could see lion fish, puffer fish, trumpet fish, lobster, barracuda, starfish, sea cucumbers, stingrays and other tropical fish if you swam out by the rocks past the swimming area. Although the beach was nice, it wasn’t great. It does not compare to Negril or some of the beaches in the Mayan Riviera. The water was incredibly warm however which we really enjoyed! The beach in front of the Grand has nicer water than the Suites.
Spa: I didn’t use the spa but all of my bridesmaids had their hair done here for the wedding and the hair all turned out AMAZING!
Nightlife/Activities: We only attended one show and it was just ok. Although the performers were talented, the choreography of the shows could really be improved on. Most of our guests really enjoyed the disco. The only problem is that they really overdo it on the dry ice so it was difficult to stay in there too long. There was great musical entertainment at the piano bar and we really enjoyed it there. There are tons of activities around the pool daily. If you want more peace and quiet, you can find that on the beach. There is ocean aerobics daily which is fun!
Pools: The pools are beautiful. The swim up bar is one of the nicest I have seen. It is very large and never felt too crowded. The drinks are strong and not watered down.
Wedding: We did not have our ceremony at the resort and chose a private location instead. I saw many weddings on the beach while we were there. Although it was a nice set up, there are many onlookers etc. We had our reception at Mare Nostrum and it was beautiful. The food was excellent and the staff set everything up beautifully! We had our dance on the beach. Although they worked hard to set the reception up the way we wanted, the wedding coordinators were not too accommodating beyond this. There was very little communication with us and they were not even present during the wedding.
Overall, we had an amazing week at Iberostar Rose Hall Suites. The service was great for the most part. I would recommend this resort for a large group or for a family vacation. If you enjoy hanging out at the pool bar, this is a great spot for you! If you are looking for the best beaches in Jamaica, go to Negril instead.

6 Thank daisymable
Freeport, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2011

I just came back from the iberostar rose hall suites. One word- AMAZING!!!! I cannot say enough about this hotel. It was everything that an all-inclusive should and could be and more. The customer service from check-in to check-out was phenominal. The food...... i think I gained 50lbs. Everything that we ate was great. No complaints there whatsoever. The only problem was, where to eat. The grounds were impecible, and the treatment at the pools were great. Someone was always making rounds to make sure that you were taken care of.
I'm already planning my return trip in a couple of months. i would recommend this hotel to everyone. My only issue, would be housekeeping. When they came, they did a great job, but they came usually around 12-1pm, which is kind of late for me. Also to get a washcloth sometimes, was quite a hassle. Overall it was the best vacation i've had in a long time.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank nikki612
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2011

The greatest compliment we can pay to this wonderful resort is that we were saddened to leave and cannot wait to return. All five of us (wife, myself, 25 yr old daugther, her fiance, and my 18 yr old son) agreed that this was the best AI that we had stayed at (that includes multiple stays at Riu Palaces and other 5-star properties in the Caribbean).

The property is immaculate with workers constantly mopping and cleaning the gleaming marble and stone throughout. Upon entering the glorious lobby we looked out into the lush garden and the glistening Caribbean water. We were welcomed at the lobby bar with meticulously made "Bob Marley" shots by one of the many friendly and smiling bartenders. After the quick check-in, we made our way to our spacious suites (we did have to change from one room because of a closed-in musty smell, the second room was perfect). The food at the buffet was absolutely fabulous. I tried some authentic Jamaican fare (oxtail, curried goat, jerk chicken, etc) for the first time and it was very tasty. My personal favourite was the delicious mango served at breakfast and dinner, but without exaggeration, everything my family ate was delicious. The infinity pool was beautiful and lively, and the activity pool a little quieter except for the odd game of water volleyball. Plenty of loungers were available at any time of day (although, as previously noted in reviews, they are kind of flimsy). If there was one part of the stay that was not 5-star, it would be the beach. Although quite nice, it wasn't as beautiful as Punta Cana or Bahamas beaches. For the most part, on the shore the sand was soft and powdery, but in the water there were some tiny rocks. The beach is very secure with security personnel present at all times, and the only peddlars we saw stayed in the water and were only seen in the morning. I spoke with a few and they are delightful people who enjoyed talking to us even though we didn't buy anything.

We did a day tour with KnowJamaicaTours run by Marva Shaw and her trusted driver Avril and were treated to a personal tour of Dunn's River Falls, White River tubing, and Ochos Rios shopping. I booked with Marva from Toronto and worked out the details with her when we arrived, I highly recommend her.

And now, for our favourite and most memorable part of our vacation....the Star Friends. They were absolutely outstanding and made our vacation the best that we could possibly have had. We became very close with a few of them, if not all, and they entertained us at all times. They work extremely long hours and are constantly full of energy and verve. They encouraged us to join in on the many activities planned, and in the evening got all of us up to dance before the shows, which btw were very enjoyable. Special mention has to be given to Lady Renee for her wonderful personality and genuine affection for our entire family. MoMo is an incredily funny entertainer. Krazy Kenny, OMG, Kiki, Happy Feet, and Bruce were all magnificent and unforgettable with special talents.

In conclusion, Jamaica is a beautiful island with beautiful people and we highly recommend the Iberostar Rose Hall Suites to help make your Jamaican stay a memorable one.

1 Thank CabanaBoyToronto
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
#1 of 1 in Ironshore
3.5 of 5 bubbles 5,848 reviews
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay

Been to Iberostar Rose Hall Suites? Share your experiences!