“Great vacation Mon”

Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Rose Hall
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 6, 2011

This is the third Iberostar Grand hotel to which I've traveled. Once again, I had a great vacation and would recommend this property highly. I would definitely return.

The Grand is located about 10 miles from the airport. It was very convenient especially after a long wait at customs/immigration. My advice is that you take a cab and skip any included transfer as it is not worth stopping at all the other resorts on the way to what should amount to a 20 minutes drive. The cab was around $30 USD, so it is worth getting started on your vacation that much more quickly.

I booked an oceanfront jr suite which cost top dollar. My recommendation is that you get a room on the highest floor possible and in the easternmost building away from the outdoor buffet restaurant. Our first room was over the restaurant and offered a view of the ocean but also views of the service area behind the dining room. We asked to be relocated and were granted the move. We were much happier in our new room.

Although this is a no tipping property, butlers only respond to tips and bartenders also expect them. Your service experience will improve exponentially if you tip these servers in particular. The hotel staff is lovely, friendly, and accomodating.

The gym is shared with the two neighboring Iberostar properties. This is a problem as the facility is not that large to begin with and there are many people entitled to its use. Usually this did not present a problem for me because I was flexible regarding the equipment I would use. Aside from one treadmill that was broken for the entirety of my stay, the other equipment was in good working order. Unfortunately, there is no view from the gym, which made me feel like I was back at home and it took away from the experience. Overall, the spa and fitness areas were kept clean and well stocked with towels, waters, a juice bar, etc.

The food was very good. As a New Yorker with a golden palate, I am a tough critic of food. Although not gourmet, the meals were a huge step above those generally served at all inclusive resorts. I have been to Sandals and Couples resorts and this cuisine is drastically better. Vegetarians will not have difficulty finding food to eat at each meal. Additionally, there is food available all day. The outdoor buffet remains open until late in the afternoon/early evening. There are snacks, room service and plenty of drinks to keep you ingesting all day long! You will not go hungry ever!

The beach chaise lounges are a bit disappointing. The Iberostar Grand on the Mayan Riviera had amazing all weather wicker chaises with pads that were super comfortable and luxurious. (If I recall the Grand in Punta Cana had the same.) This resort however, had two types of vinyl chairs with slings and were not very comfortable. Most were worn out and many were broken. The chairs were just like those at the two lesser neighboring Iberostar properties. The beach was decent. It was better than on some islands, but not as nice as on others. The pool water was too cold as was the ocean. If you want a seat by the pools you need to get up in the middle of the night to reserve them. It is also difficult to get beach chairs under palapas. It can be very competitive. Keep in mind I travel in the highest peak season so the resort is at capacity. I always had a beach chair which made me very happy.

The bartenders at the pool bar kept things very fun and lively. The service at all bars was excellent. Top shelf liquor is always available. They definitely aim to please.

The Star Friends decend on the guests around 10AM and try to keep you moving and involved in resort activities. They are young, cute, energetic and VERY friendly. Germ phobes beware as you will shake everyone's hands repeatedly throughout the day.

The Grand will make your vacation wonderful and hassle free. It is a quantum leap above the other all inclusives to which I've traveled. You only need to breath and occasionally tip! Happy Travels.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (6,648)

Reviewed March 6, 2011

OK, to start, we are a couple in our fifties and we have travelled fairly extensively to Caribbean destinations, that said, we were looking for excellent food, a great room, a nice beach and good service. We have stayed at several 4 and 5 star propeties in Mexico, Cuba and St Lucia. We researched Jamaica and decided this looked like our best choice. We were travelling with another couple to celebrate a birthday. I can honestly say this hotel exceeded our expectations in every way. We had never been to Jamaica before and we were pleasantly surprised by the warmth and sincerity of all the people and staff we met. I would not hesitate to go again.
Our review:

Location:
The property is in a great place, close enough to the ariport and Montego Bay to be very convenient and also very close to some great golf courses. I understand the beaches in Negril and other parts of the island might be wider and nicer but this was very sufficient and beautiful. The water was very warm and clear and the beach was well maintained. I personally like that it is a private beach as you didn't have to deal with vendors like in other locations we have visited. We are beach people and not really pool people. There were some rocky spots, but 90 per cent is all sand. We never had a problem finding a lounge in the shade at anytime of day on the beach. The loungers, particularly the doubles were harder to get around the pool. The "towel game" is in full force very early in the morning around the pool.You will nver have a problem getting a chair on the beach but the pool area is a little trickier. To be honest (maybe because we are older) I like being on the beach because it is quieter. The Star Friends are very good and will try engage you in activities, Lucky was hilarious. We were happy just to watch. We went on a hobiecat once that is available down the beach at the Beach hotel. There are many watersports available there. Sean took us out and taught my husband how to sail. He was amazing, well worth the $20.00.

Rooms: We were upgraded to oceanfront- and it was wonderful. The view in the morning having your room service breakfast from your balcony is heavenly. As everyone mentions the beds are amazing, The only other property we have stayed at that that had rooms as nice was Secrets Maroma in Mexico. The cleanliness was superb. I had read many discussions regarding the butlers. What can I say, I guess we lucked out- we got Ryan and Marlon- They couldn't have been more accommodating. We got reservations for every night at the al cartes, made golf reservations and made changes. Every request was taken care of with a smile. Ryan particularly couldn't do enough to help you. We have stayed at other properties that have had butlers and never had one this accommodating.

Food: This, to us, is what makes any property special and really determines the four star from the five. We are not fans of buffets. The ones here are very good and offer a good assortment and choice. We particularly liked the one on the beach. We also liked that they offered the Jamaican beach buffets a couple of times in the week for lunch. That was also very good. The restaurants were as good or better than any other five we have stayed at. We tried them all and particularly loved the Gourmet- the lobster thermidor and the lamb were amazing. We did go to the steakhouse at the Suites one night and although the service was very good, the food was not as well prepared. You also had to deal with lots of tired children in the restaruants there.You get a little spoiled by the restaurants on the Grand side. I recommend you email your restaurant reservation requests a few days prior to leaving particularly for the first few days and then you won't be disappointed. When you arrive make the rest of your requests. If I had one suggestion for the hotel, I would say they should offer some special extra pay options for honeymooners or anniversaries-like a private dinner on the beach or elsewhere-this is available at Secrets properties and is very well received. All in all ,the food here was excellent and the wines were very good. I would rate the food a five.

Spa: We did use the spa and have a couples massage. .The therapists were extremely good and the spa was lovely. The prices were what you would expect in the Caribbean. I would suggest that there should be hairdryers and some toiletries provided in the locker area though. Also you are normally given a tour of the facility were you book a spa service and this would have been helpful.

We also want to mention we went golfing. This is arranged by the hotel. You are provided free transportation to Cinnamon Hill golf course and all your beverages and food at the course are also covered. Obviously your green fees are covered. We have never seen this with golf packages at other courses, you usually have to pay for the transportation and beverages. This is a very good course. The only comment we have is unfortunately you have to take a caddy (it is not optional, even trying to pay him off) We would have enjoyed the golf more without a caddy. This is also the case at White Witch. (also a beautiful course)

We did a private taxi trip into Montego Bay. We arranged this with a driver whose name was Billy (Noel Harrison) He is available through the hotel Bell captain. He was superb. He stayed with us in Montego Bay, took us to safe places to shop and gave us a fabulous all around tour. I would highly recommend asking for this gentleman for any day trip you would want to do on the island. He was highly knowledgable and made us feel very safe.

All in all, we truly felt this was a five star property and a five star trip-it was really are very special trip-we would recemmend this to anyone thinking about Jamaica.
Also- I want to mention we came with Transat Vacations from Toronto and had the Option Plus feature- I thought the flight service was excellent and would book through Transat again.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank jbro22
Reviewed March 5, 2011

What a wonderful place. I traveled the week of 2/20. I have to say the staff made my stay extremely pleasurable. There are the usual issues when you visit hot climates...musty odors and a bug or so. The staff really want you to enjoy yourself and will offer many pampering amenities. If you visit you must go to the spa...Ahhhh! I ate at most of the restaurants...so ...okay. The restaurants with outside seating was the best. I sat on the suites and beach properties...that suited my needs for reggae and children playing in the water and sand. The resort as a whole has something for everyone. If and when you visit walk through and see the other properties...you will be happy to be able to visit them all when staying at the Grand.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank SERIOUSTEE
Reviewed March 5, 2011

I had a great time at this resort. The staff was friendly and went above and beyond to ensure my vacation was relaxing. The resort itself is so beautiful with a relaxing beach. The only thing the hotel was missing is duty free alcohol. Iberostar is such an excellent band.

Reviewed March 3, 2011

My wife and I had an outstanding time at the Iberostar Grand. The rooms were luxurious, the pools were fantastic, and the drinks were plentiful. The best part might have been the Star Friends (the entertainment that wandered around the resort all day and night). If you go, you HAVE to find Lucky and Mr. Kool. You'll have a great time hanging out with them. We are already planning to go back for our anniversary.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 3, 2011

Have traveled all over the Caribbean and the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall has by far been the best all inclusive resort I've ever stayed in. Everything was super clean even the common area bathrooms out by the pool. The staff was amazing. Everyone was so friendly and helpful I've never received customer service like this before. The rooms are so spacious and beautiful, bathrooms are awesome, balcony's huge with great swing & comfy sofa they thought of every detail even including wood floors outside to help with sound. The only negatives were the food & wine. Food was just ok, not terrible and feel like they could increase the quality of wine selections as part of the all-inclusive. They have top shelf liquor choices bun wine was lacking. Overall I give them 5 stars and would go back again in a heart beat. I've already recommended this resort to numerous friends.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 2, 2011

I just got back from the Grand and had a great time. I had read all the reviews on trip advisor and I was worried it wouldn't live up to the hype. I had nothing to worry about because it was everything I thought it would be. The moment we stepped in the lobby we had a cold towel, champagne mimosas and a free ocean front room upgrade. That was just the beginning. The room was unreal as was the view. We now have to buy a new bed as soon as I find out what kind was in our room. The service was legendary from the cleaning crew to the concierge and butlers. Everyone was friendly and eager to help. The bartenders were great and the food was awesome. I would definately recommend this to anyone. For those reviewers who mentioned the carpet all I can say is... Really? If you spent one second worrying about carpet in the hallway at this resort then you had the wrong attitude to start. This place is phenominal.

4  Thank Batthebeach
Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall? Share your experiences!