“Wonderful holiday and wedding”

Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Rose Hall
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed February 15, 2011

A wonderful time was had by all and we will definitely be back again. I have no complaints at all everything was perfect from accommodation to service to food. It was all wonderful. We stayed at the Grand which is adults only, and had our Wedding at the Suites Hotel. We had guests staying at both the Grand, Suites and Beach Hotels which are both family hotels. It was great as we could visit our guests without having to stay in an environment with lots of children. When we had enough we just went back to the Grand! We were a group of young adults, couples singles and then families with teenage and young children. Everyone had an amazing time and we were all catered for.

Check in A*
We were first to arrive by a couple of days out of all our guests. We had booked to stay at the Suites for the first few days up to the wedding then move on to the Grand. The Suites was fully booked and the room we had requested was unavailable so they upgraded us to the Grand straight away, which was no problem at all for us. We were so pleased! We had only planned to stay at the Suites first as we wanted the wedding there due to children attending, but this all worked out perfectly. Both the Suites and Grand check in was smooth and quick and we were greeted by a lovely cocktail at the Suites and then another at the Grand. Perfect! Everyone was super friendly, super helpful and very efficient.

Rooms A*
I am still dreaming of this room. Room 5326! Amazing. It was a corner Ocean Front room and the view was absolutely beautiful. We had a bottle of Red wine and some delicious chocolates waiting for us upon arrival. The bed was so comfortable and the pillow service allowed us to change pillows and literally be in heaven we were so comfortable. The bathroom was lovely all marble, his and hers sinks at opposite ends. Everything was so clean and it had the best Jacuzzi bath. The rain shower head was also fabulous. As soon as we got in the room our wonderful butler Dwayne asked if the mini bar was stocked how we like it. I swiftly changed rum to vodka, sprite to diet coke and had more Guinness and Red Stripe in there for the hubby and that was it. Our mini bar was stocked just as we liked it for the duration of the holiday we never had to ask again.

Room Service A*
Amazing, you order a glass of Champagne and they bring you the bottle. From burgers to sushi and lobster everything was so good. I just wish there was more hours in the day as I was always too full from the rest of the lovely food in the hotel. Service is very quick I think the longest we waited was 20mins.

Food A*
The selection at the buffet was great and the presentation was beautiful. They always had a Jamaican food section which was the best. Breakfast was our favourite, Jamaican, American and European. I also loved the beachside lunch buffet restaurant the food was great but even just going for the views would be good. We ate at Calabash, the Mexican, and the Japanese. They were all great, but to be honest the standard of the buffet was so good we didn’t even need to go anywhere else. We were there for 2 weeks and were not bored of the food and did not go to all the restaurants available to us. Booking was no problem you just asked the concierge or your butler. We never had a problem and neither did any of our guests, and the hotel was full.

Drinks A
All premium brand drinks, whatever you want they will have. Accept the champagne hence no * next to the A. It was a house brand but I wasn't expecting them to have Moet anyway. so all in all you will be very happy if you like alcohol.

Service A*
OUTSTANDING! The best service I have ever experienced at a hotel or resort anywhere in the world. From the bar staff to butlers to bell boys to spa staff. Everyone was friendly, fast and efficient. I didn’t experience any “Jamaican time” which I am well used to knowing lots of Jamaicans! And no pressure for tips. The pool and bar staff would always remember what you are drinking and have it ready for you and the chamber maids were lovely.

Beach and pool A*
There were plenty of lounge chairs in both the sun and the shade. My fav was a big double bed near the pool bar. I am not really a sea person but the sand was lovely. The pools were large and well maintained and I could float around without crashing into anyone. The infinity pools looked gorgeous, made you just want to dive right in, until you felt the cold lol

The Club A* or D
The Club was so fun, on a good day there would be loads of people with great vibes or just you and who you came with. So the club is what you make it. We always had fun even with just us. Christmas Eve was amazing as it was staff and guests and everyone was dancing. The music is a mix of reggae and commercial. I think the DJ goes by the crowd and what he thinks they want to hear. There is a big screen which plays the videos to the songs which is fun after a few drinks trying to copy all the dances! What is good about the club is that everyone form the Beach Suites and Grand are welcome. There is also a free shuttle that takes you into downtown Montego Bay and back so you can go to all those clubs too.

Spa A*
We received a free couples massage with our wedding package and then we were hooked! They are so good! I felt like I was at the Sanctuary Covent Garden. The standard was very high, we had more massages, and a facials and reflexology. The prices aren’t cheap but they aren’t more than you would pay at home either. Even if you are not having a treatment you can still use the facilities, sauna, Jacuzzi and hydro pool. They are great and very good on rainy days! The only thing is that the steam rooms were out of order and have been for 6 months. I didn’t miss it but my hubby likes a steam. But really it is no biggie when there is everything else.

Gym A
Gym was great only reason it doesn’t get an A* for me is there was no rowing machine. But to be honest I only went to the gym the first 4 days so who am I kidding. There is everything else you need and it’s new, clean and bright in there. There was no wait time for machines which was great. Plus the juice bar is amazing, different selections of fresh juices and smoothies.

Activities and Star Friends A*
The star friends are great and always try to involve people without bugging you, they remember what you like and will always let you know when it is happening. My husband liked to play, beach volley ball, pool volley ball, football, table tennis – actually every sporting activity that was going on, and I liked to do yoga, step aerobics class or Zumba. The fact that it was not taken too seriously was good too, as they realized you are on holiday! By 11.30am after a few cocktails I was in no mood to do a hard-core fitness class, but step aerobics outside at my own pace was perfect. My guests that were more disciplined did the fitness classes in the fitness studio, which I think was for the more dedicated folk.

Billing
We paid for our trip before arrival, through our agent and all Spa services we had we paid for at the Spa desk. On check out we did not incur any other hotel charges. The wedding invoice was exactly as we had expected it, any questions we had were answered before the final bill was issued and it was all handled very well. Absolutely no hidden cost.

Christmas
Although we left on Christmas day the Christmas Eve banquet and the general Christmas experience was wonderful. Father Christmas even arrived on a speed boat and everyone from all three hotels gathered for that part and the children loved it.

Wedding and WC at the Suites A*
The WC, Nicole is great and such a sweetheart. It is a little difficult to get her before you arrive and she may take a couple of days to reply, but she is so organised and has everything down to a T. No need to worry just relax!
The wedding was wonderful and everyone had a great time. We were super laid back and just enjoyed ourselves and had a beautiful day.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank CamLovesSun
There are newer reviews for Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall

Reviewed February 15, 2011

First Time in Jamaica - Stayed for our Honeymoon.
We chose this hotel based on a recommendation from a friend as well as the reviews here. So I apologize in advance if this review is long.

We chose to book a private cab ride through Clive's Transportation (highly recommend) as opposed to waiting for bus transfers etc., since it was our honeymoon.

Check In:
Upon arrival at the hotel we were greeted with nothing but smiles and excellent service. The boys out front helped us with our luggage and told us to not lift a finger. The front desk was very helpful and made sure we were checked in quickly. While we waited they served us with a wonderfully refreshing drink. We were told after arriving to our room that our Butler would be by shortly to give us a tour of our room and answer any questions we may have had.

Room:
The room was absolutely Stunning. Very clean, roomy, comfortable and wonderfully decorated. On the bed was a personalized welcome letter addressed to us and congratulating us on our recent wedding and thanking us for choosing to celebrate a special occasion with them - Very nice touch! The room was very spacious. There was a Huge bathroom with his and hers vanities, marble shower, jacuzzi tub and little toilet room. There was two big closets (with more then enough room) and a safe, well kept mini bar. The mini bar was stocked daily and if you placed a request with your butler he would make sure what you wanted was extra stocked. There was a step down sitting area which led to the balcony. The balcony was very big (I think we had an extra long balcony) with a wicker swing and and small sofa. We spent many nights sitting on the swing enjoying the sunset and reading. The king size bed was the best thing in the room, absolutely the best bed I have ever slept on in a hotel, hands down. The pillow menu they offer was a wonderful touch as it offered any pillow to suite your needs.

Pool / Beach and Grounds:
Pool was very big with a few different sections, and plenty of pool chairs, beds and huts so you didn't have to worry about getting up early to reserve, except if you wanted a bed which went first. Water was warm and refreshing. Plenty of wait staff walking around to place an order for drinks from the bar. Beach was the same, lots of huts and chairs so no need to worry. Sand kept clean and raked. Lots of pool / beach activities throughout the day. The hotel grounds were immaculately kept, and just wonderful.

Dining:
Food was good with enough variety to suit everyone's tastes. We highly recommend you book as many nights as you can at the Surf and Turf and Japanese restaurants. Incredible. Our favourite meals of the week by far. Make sure to ensure that you have a table by the chef for the Japanese restaurant so you can enjoy the show while he cooks your meal. The buffet was excellent for breakfast as well as lunch and dinner with plenty of variety and themed nights. Also, the 24 hour room service was perfect for those late night snacks!

Extras:
If you stay 7+ nights at the Grand Rose Hall you are entitled to two (2) free rounds of golf at the nearby Cinnamon Hill golf course. Only thing extra is the rental of your golf clubs if you choose not to bring your own. The golf course was beautiful, on the beach for certain holes, with your own private caddy who gives you tips and a tour of the course and surrounding areas. If you can request a caddy we highly recommend Melton, he was awesome!
The spa was wonderful and clean and we booked a couples massage which was very relaxing. They really make sure to treat each person specially and provide you undivided attention. I could have gone every day for a massage if the funds allowed :)
They also have a bunch of shops on site so you could get all the souvenirs you wanted / needed if you chose not to leave the resort.

Staff:
Butlers were incredible. This is a wonderful addition to this hotel. Though we did not use him or take advantage of him as much as we could have, the times we needed his help he was always there for us. Even when I needed to print an email confirmation for an excursion we had booked he brought me into there own personal staff room to use there printer. They go above and beyond for you!!
Public Relations staff was also incredible. I had emailed them a few weeks prior to our trip and they ensured that everything we wanted to do - Spas, Meal reservations, Golf etc was all booked before we even arrived. They too go above and beyond for you.
My only complaint was with the Concierge girls, who were also on the phone and were not very helpful or respectful.

Overall this resort is top notch and definitely 5+ star. The added plus was staying at the Grand Rose Hall meant you had access to all the other Iberostar Hotels - Rose Hall and Suites - but they did not have access to your hotel. I would definitely go back to this hotel, as well as any other Iberostar hotels and highly recommend it!!!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Anjel11
Reviewed February 14, 2011

my wife and i left toronto for jamaica on feb 5th. we had previously stayed at the iberostar rose hall suites which is a great resort but seeing as it was our 20th anniversary we decided to step up to the grand. we have travelled to many places but we have never stayed at a nicer place then this. the food, grounds , rooms are amazing. but what makes this resort stand out over the rest is the staff!!! i cant begin to thank them all, but here is thanks to the ones who stood out the most. thank you to Corrina the pool waitress, your smile and personality along with your excellent service made us feel at home. thanks to mr kool for the laughs. hats off to our butlers Reneish and Dorran, thank you for the great service. Dorran thank you so much for decorating our room with rose petals and candles too surprise my wife for a special anniversary night. i have never seen her so taken back with tears of joy, you went beyond the call of duty. thanks Reneish for making sure our stay was comfortable and that all our needs were met. thank you iberostar grand for a trip we will never forget. you made yourself a new customer, we will be back every year. now to my fellow travellers, what can we do to thank thesepeople for busting their tails to make sure our holiday is great . the answer is " tip them" give me a break, if you can afford to here , you can afford a couple of bucks for a tip. atleast tip the ones who have stood out to you. go on the internet and check out the average wage in jamaica, a dollar or two is lot to them

thanks iberostar grand

the ackwoods
canada

1  Thank jeremy1970
Reviewed February 14, 2011

This was our second trip to the Iberostar Grand. We went back for the following: 1. Grand is for people over the age of 17. Plenty of partying though; 2. Great rooms-large with large baths, closets and a sitting area in each room; 3. food..hotel has four restuarants (Japanese; Gourmet; Italian; Surf & Turf; and a buffet) plus an open air restaurant near the ocean for lunch; 4. Golf course vouchers (two per person if staying four nights) pays for taxi, golf, cart and food and beverage at the course....just great; 5. Premium liquors in your room; 6. Great personal Butler service...every room has a butler assigned for your every need; 7. Butlers can get your boarding passes before you go to the airport that saves time; 8. If you want quiet or party you can do both. 9. All the staff are very friendly and helpful. My wife and I have been married 43 years and have traveled to France; Austria, Italy (twice); Bermuda twice; two cruises; Hawaii twice; Canada three times; Spain....this place is tops for Jamaica and compares very favorably to the Intercontiental in Paris, Rome and Vienna. We are going back next year. Our Butlers Wheeler and O'Kiene were fabulous; Great Star friends were Taneisha, Toby-ann, Mr. Lucky, Mr. Cool and Sobacious; Maxine did a great job with our room, Corine and Vivian did a great job at the pool bar; Sonya, Joedia and Felecia were great on the desk taking care of every thing I asked. This sounds like a commercial but I am an insurance guy in Concord, NC, age 65. I just like listing people that did their job very well which enhanced our trip. Now you will always find some people who did not like "this or that" but I can't speak to that. I have found that is you give kindness then you received the same. We will continue to go back each year for the same experience.

2  Thank BigR63
Reviewed February 14, 2011

we just returned from a 5 night stay at the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall, and could not have been happier with our choice.
Check in was very quick and easy, with a nice cool towel and glass of champagne.
We stayed in an ocean view room, which was perfect as we looked over the pool bar area, with the ocean in the background. Rooms were just as described on other reviews, spacious, spotless, and luxurious. The bed was very very comfortable, not what you would expect in a hotel, and includes a pillow menu to make sure you get the best nights sleep.
The butler showed up a few minutes after we checked in, and with the exception of the last night there, he was never around. Nevertheless, he did keep our minibar stocked, and had a nice rose petal bath and champagne for us on the last night of our stay.
The beach and pools are very nice, and if you want to get a chair or bed, go down just as sunrise and out a book or towel on your choice. This will ensure you get a prime spot for the day.
Dining options were also very good.
Tepanyaki was our favorite, surf and turf least favorite. Meat was not cooked properly, maybe just an off night for the chef. Buffets offered plenty of choices including seafood, meat, salads, caviar, fruits, etc. The only area I think they could improve is the breakfast buffet. After 5 days the food never changes and gets monotonous.
The bars were very well stocked with top shelf liquor and many times we had to ask for less alcohol as there is no watered down drinks here!!! Make sure you go to the lobby bar and look up Morrison and Wayne. They are two of the friendliest bartenders I have ever seen, and you will not have an empty glass if you are sitting in front of them. Also make sure you ask Morrison to break out his guitar for some impromptu singing.
The daytime and nighttime entertainment is put on by the Star Friends, and do an excellent job without pressuring you. During the day, the Star Friends will invite you to play horseshoes, water volleyball,
etc, with them and at night they will entertain you with music, dance, and fun. Our favorites were Lucky and Mr Kool. After 10 minutes with these guys, they made us feel like we were life long friends! Their mix of high energy and humor really puts the icing on the cake for this resort.
I would recommend this resort to anyone that enjoys complete relaxation in a laid back environment, where the only phrases you will need all week are "No Problem" and "Ya Mon"!!

on one last note, my wife and I were amazed a the genuine friendly and hospitable attitude of the Jamacian people. From the moment you step off the plane, we did not encounter one rude or unpleasant person. it was truly amazing, and now I know when I see the Jamaica tv commercials that say " Once you go, you know" what they are taking about. We are already planning our trip back for next winter!!!

• Stayed: February 2011
Reviewed February 14, 2011

First time in Caribbean, 25th Wedding Anniversary. Chose this because of reviews here. Gorgeous buildings - Spanish style architecture. Outdoor areas beautifully landscaped and designed. The entire establishment had this strong European feel. Friendly pleasant staff. Very clean everywhere. Enormous bathroom! Superbly comfortable bed. Spotless room, cleaned and mopped daily. Brought laptop, worked great in room. Verizon Wireless phone had no problem.

Nice varied age range of guests which was important as I was concerned it may be a bunch of twenty somethings. (not sure why). With the unlimited drinks we only saw a couple of heavily inebriated folk in the week we were there.

Beach buffett and steel drum band very good. Also restuarant on the beach lovely food everywhere. Champagne, caviar, curried goat(!) Jamaica patties, best ice cream - nutmeg, coconut, pistachio, hubby loved the wide variety of desserts.

Pleasant swimming. Used kayaks, hobie cat.

Just an all round good experience for this Carribean 'newbie'!

1  Thank judesNy
Reviewed February 14, 2011

My husband and I booked this trip with very high hopes based on the reviews on Trip Advisor. While there were some aspects of the stay that we were pleased with, there were many more aspects which were very disappointing for us.
We are 33 and 31, and when we go away we are generally looking for peace, quiet, rest, and relaxation on a beautiful beach. This did not happen here.
While we are aware that the crowd at the hotel changes from week to week, our experience was being surrounded by drunk, loud, flirtatious empty nesters. The pool area was neither relaxing nor peaceful. There were at least two different radios going at all times, creating more of a party atmosphere than a serene one. There were multiple activities throughout the day (pool aerobics, yoga, pool volleyball, etc) during which times the music (oftentimes with a lot of bass) was turned up even louder.
The beach was very small and overcrowded. The water was gorgeous but the sand was not particularly pretty or soft. You were right on top of your drunk neighbors unless you went way off to the side like my husband and I did, but even then total peace and quiet were not able to be found.
The facilities themselves are very pretty, although a little run down. The rooms are nice, but many of the ammenities they offer (for example, customizing your mini-bar) did not come to fruition. We asked three times for our mini-bar to be customized before finally giving up. Every morning we ordered room service breakfast, and every morning it was cold. Not just lukewarm-totally cold. One night I called down to ask for a spoon, and it took an hour for someone to come up with it, after I called down again to remind them.
The bed was extremely comfortable (that was my favorite part of the trip) and the housekeeping service was great about turn-down service and cleaning the room throughout the week.
The a la carte restaurants were really delicious (the gourmet restaurant was our favorite-Italian was our second favorite) but make sure to make your reservations with your butler the first day you get there because the restaurants book up quickly.
Overall, I would say the resort was really beautiful, but too loud and chaotic for my tastes. The ocean was beautiful and warm, but the beach area was very small and crowded.
While this resort had some pros, I will definitely not be returning there again.

1  Thank Jill46111
Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica
Hotel Riu Palace Jamaica
#4 of 63 in Montego Bay
Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall? Share your experiences!